Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
“It’s a ‘shoot first, think later’ when it comes to domestic animals,” Trott said.
View Quote

That pretty much reinforces what I've thought all along...Most LEO depts have an official or unofficial "shoot on sight" policy for dogs...

Insert multiple CoC violations here: xxxxx
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lethal force is legal to be used in defense of yourself or another from the imminent threat of great bodily harm or death.
What do you think?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious questions because police officers are civilians. If someone is about to destroy my property (my dog), do I not have the right to defend that property with lethal force? I know it won't go well either way, but I'm just curious.

Lethal force is legal to be used in defense of yourself or another from the imminent threat of great bodily harm or death.
What do you think?

How about use of force continuum? Fuck it? Bypass all other means directly to deadly force?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:29:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What do you think?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious questions because police officers are civilians. If someone is about to destroy my property (my dog), do I not have the right to defend that property with lethal force? I know it won't go well either way, but I'm just curious.

What do you think?

It's a losing argument either way, but by certain written laws and statues' in some states it matches up. Every state is different of course.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Serious answer. The LEO is acting in the performance of their duty. So, no, you do not

Quoted:
Is there any real reports of officers being attacked and mauled. Not ankle bitters but real dogs. Nice of them to bring the kid around to say he is sorry, funny when they shoot a dog they never apologize.

I don't know who would gather the stats outside of the FBI on a national scale, but are you suggesting that LEOs are never attacked by dogs?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But they are property. In some states that still matters.

Edt: What if a person shot your cows/bulls that you were depending on to get through the winter because they were "running amuck?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im waiting for the homeowner who shoots back because the cops keep killing their family members. Its coming.

Dogs are not people.

Edt: What if a person shot your cows/bulls that you were depending on to get through the winter because they were "running amuck?"

if your cows are out on someone elses property and are causing or about to cause damage yes, they can be shot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:32:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How about use of force continuum? Fuck it? Bypass all other means directly to deadly force?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think?

you dont know how that work do ya
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:32:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Serious answer. The LEO is acting in the performance of their duty. So, no, you do not

I don't know who would gather the stats outside of the FBI on a national scale, but are you suggesting that LEOs are never attacked by dogs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is there any real reports of officers being attacked and mauled. Not ankle bitters but real dogs. Nice of them to bring the kid around to say he is sorry, funny when they shoot a dog they never apologize.

What if I didn't know he was LEO?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:34:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

if your cows are out on someone elses property and are causing or about to cause damage yes, they can be shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im waiting for the homeowner who shoots back because the cops keep killing their family members. Its coming.

Dogs are not people.

Exactly where other that the last few posts does it say anything about fucking cows? What the fuck do cows have to do with any of this other than misdirection
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Exactly where other that the last few posts does it say anything about fucking cows? What the fuck do cows have to do with any of this other than misdirection
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dogs are not people.

Property is property dude.

EDT: Property was what I was talking about.....see where this string started. I asked a question about property. Dogs, cows, cars, homes, whatever.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:35:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

How would you miss the uniform?
Why don't you just admit that you're chomping at the bit to have an excuse to shoot law enforcement?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dogs are not people.

nowhere. its a specific response to a specific question
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dogs are not people.

Cows have killed more LEOs in the line of duty than dogs..  Cows are dangerous..
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think?

LOL seriously DUDE you have no idea who I am or my background so uh, yeah you are right. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!
You know not all of us are basement dwellers. Just sayin'  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:37:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why don't you just admit that you're chomping at the bit to have an excuse to shoot law enforcement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could in the middle of the night and it's dark. Where I live we don't have streetlights, and the porch lights don't go to the property line.

And there have been folks who raped/killed people in fake cop uniforms. Just saying.

Here.

And here.

Here too.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:38:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LEO's do not shoot dogs for simply "approaching" or barking.

How else would some of you expect a LEO to react when threatened by a barking/snarling dog that "approaches" with it's teeth bared??????

I've been to the E.R. twice because of dog attacks.

I have sent many dogs to dog heaven.

Anyone who does not take a dog bite/attack seriously doesn't know what in the hell they're talking about.

GD may now return to delivering pizza.
View Quote

Of course they don't, there's a fucking story everyday about cops shooting the dag.  Just curious....is it part of your training?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:38:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How else would some of you expect a LEO to react when threatened by a barking/snarling dog that "approaches" with it's teeth bared??????

Anyone who does not take a dog bite/attack seriously doesn't know what in the hell they're talking about.

View Quote

Yeah we all deliver pizza for a living. Congrats! You just joined the pain everyone with a broad stroke basement dwelling GD crowd.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LOL seriously DUDE you have no idea who I am or my background so uh, yeah you are right. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think?

thanx DUDE, glad I could be of help DUDE
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:39:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The officers did what they did because of the suspects actions.
Lets see how many of you would be confronted by a large strange dog in an alleyway and not do something along the same lines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Before leaving the scene, the officers brought the suspect by, to apologize."

Are you fucking kidding me?!!! I'm pro-LEO (LEOs in my county rock!) but damn, those officers must not have any sense of personal accountability at all.

Lets see how many of you would be confronted by a large strange dog in an alleyway and not do something along the same lines.

Last time that happened was in Moorhead City NC.  A big red nose pit came tearing around the corner towards my GF and me.  I never drew or fired.

I tell ya what I did.   I stopped and took a half second to read the dog.  Yep, tongue hanging out.  Just off leash and going for a run.  I leaned forward, clapped my hands, and said GET over here ya big goofy mutt!  He came over and was getting massive ear scratches from both of us when his owner, a terrified black teenage guy came running around the corner too.  Seems fido had just gotten big enough to clear their backyard fence and decided to go for a run.    He thanked us for stopping his dog before a cop saw it.  

Of course cops don't always have time to read a dog, but from the casual attitude of some folks, and the frequency of cops shooting dogs these days, I have to wonder if there's a culture of negligent casual brutality in some departments.  I swear, some look to be as bad as hadjis where dogs are concerned.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:40:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really.....you can't imagine any scenario where a uniform wouldn't be recognized? And all officers are in there blues all the time?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:41:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its no longer a "use of force continuum"
The current model is usually a wheel, with the officer in the middle.
The old ladder continuum made some officers think they had to exhaust lesser levels of force before they could move up the ladder
Its an antiquated use of force model that looked good on an overhead projector during in-service training back in the 80s.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:42:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So I can shoot a dog without fear of prosecution if it approaches me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you fucking kidding me?!!! I'm pro-LEO (LEOs in my county rock!) but damn, those officers must not have any sense of personal accountability at all.

So I can shoot a dog without fear of prosecution if it approaches me?

Only if you're a cop.  The cool part is even if you miss and say, shoot a kid, you'll still be golden cause yo.  You've got a badge.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:42:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I could in the middle of the night and it's dark. Where I live we don't have streetlights, and the porch lights don't go to the property line.

And there have been folks who raped/killed people in fake cop uniforms. Just saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Another guy chomping at the bit to have an excuse to kill LE

Quoted:

Really.....you can't imagine any scenario where a uniform wouldn't be recognized? And all officers are in there blues all the time?

Of course there are other scenarios. There might be an Investigator in plain clothes...but if they are acting in an official capacity they have their badge visible. Or you might have SWAT guys, but its hard to miss all that gear they wear and think its what..the gas meter reader?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:43:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if your dog is acting in a threatening manner at someone and they are about to shoot your dog in legal self defense you have no
right to shoot the human to defend your dog no matter who it is.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:43:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The old ladder continuum made some officers think they had to exhaust lesser levels of force before they could move up the ladder
Its an antiquated use of force model that looked good on an overhead projector during in-service training back in the 80s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the response. It has been while since I have done that work. Yes I dated myself.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:43:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Last time that happened was in Moorhead City NC.  A big red nose pit came tearing around the corner towards my GF and me.  I never drew or fired.

I tell ya what I did.   I stopped and took a half second to read the dog.  Yep, tongue hanging out.  Just off leash and going for a run.  I leaned forward, clapped my hands, and said GET over here ya big goofy mutt!  He came over and was getting massive ear scratches from both of us when his owner, a terrified black teenage guy came running around the corner too.  Seems fido had just gotten big enough to clear their backyard fence and decided to go for a run.    He thanked us for stopping his dog before a cop saw it.  

Of course cops don't always have time to read a dog, but from the casual attitude of some folks, and the frequency of cops shooting dogs these days, I have to wonder if there's a culture of negligent casual brutality in some departments.  I swear, some look to be as bad as hadjis where dogs are concerned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good story......when was the last report of a non LEO shooting a dog?? Don't hear many of those.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:44:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just easier to ignore/report you for baiting than to respond to you with any logic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#27]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

if your dog is acting in a threatening manner at someone and they are about to shoot your dog in legal self defense you have no
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's just easier to ignore/report you for baiting than to respond to you with any logic.
View Quote

I'm not "baiting" you in any way. I'm reading what you posted and I can only interpret your comment as I stated.
But if you want me to click you, you got it
*click*
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:47:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Last year I was scouting for elk and I was on an old forest road. 8 am and I'm all lone walking down this
trail.  All of the sudden I hear this dog barking.  I turn and see a large Rottweiler coming at me from the woods.
I'm like, "are you fucking kidding me?"  I drew my sidearm and waited to see what the dog was going to do.
She finally stopped and stood there barking at me, no teeth, no growling, just barking...that's what dogs do.
A minute later some dude on horseback shows up.  I could have easily shot that dog but I didn't, as it wasn't
a threat yet.  A few minutes later I was scratching her ears.  Had I been a trained LE, the dog would most likely
be dead today.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:48:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was rushed by a large grey pit bull while in the hood yesterday working. I was not bit. In fact, I had the damn thing rolled over on it's back while giving it a neck scratch waiting for it's dumb ass owner to show up.

If you are around dogs a lot due to your job and won't teach yourself how to read them, you're a useless git.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was rushed by a large grey pit bull while in the hood yesterday working. I was not bit. In fact, I had the damn thing rolled over on it's back while giving it a neck scratch waiting for it's dumb ass owner to show up.

If you are around dogs a lot due to your job and won't teach yourself how to read them, you're a useless git.

This.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Since dogs are clearly dangerous, I'm sure someone will be along any minute now to post the number of officers killed every year by vicious dogs.  

Heck, I'm sure someone will post a SINGLE EXAMPLE of an officer killed by a vicious dog, just to shut us up..  

Just one.  

Amiright?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Since dogs are clearly dangerous, I'm sure someone will be along any minute now to post the number of officers killed every year by vicious dogs.  

Heck, I'm sure someone will post a SINGLE EXAMPLE of an officer killed by a vicious dog, just to shut us up..  

Just one.  

Amiright?

Dogs may not kill officers, but they can inflict serious injuries.
Officers should not be expected to simply allow themselves to be bitten as I have seen suggested here in the past in similar threads

Quoted:

I'd say you needed a better fence if the cow was that important.
Haven't seen many dogs shot around here, but one officer did have to shoot a cow
I've also seen farmers get their expensive livestock hit by cars and want to blame the cars driver, when in reality it was their poor fencing that contributed to the animal being hit
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:48:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then go up to the owner and say "I'm sorry that I had to".  Making the person you were chasing appologize for your actions is just being a chicken shit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:50:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

The article made no mention of teeth or aggressive behavior. You can now get back to taking out our trash...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:50:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
LEO's do not shoot dogs for simply "approaching" or barking.   Some apparently do.

I'd probably be inclined to shoot it, but those cases aren't what we're talking about.

Not a good shot are we?...........or did you miss and hit a kid?

You sound proud of that.  That says something about your character.

Message received.  I have no badge so I'mjust a peasant and have been chastised for getting uppity.  Yeah, Right.  Back at ya.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:52:02 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://greatwallpapers.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/baby-crying10.jpg

Wait.....who's the baby crying for?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:54:52 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see no need to waste time with someone more interested with hurling insults than debating points in a logical and intellectual manner. He posted a question, I posed a reality-based answer, he responded negatively.

I find it ironic though that I'm explaining myself to you, then, after your clever .jpg. C'est la vie.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:55:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but the ones that go around wantonly killing dogs are pussies with guns and badges to hide behind.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No, but the ones that go around wantonly killing dogs are pussies with guns and badges to hide behind.
View Quote

Define :wantonly"
You seem to think that the LEOs derive some sort of pleasure from having to shoot a dog and seek out those confrontations.
I seriously doubt that's the case.
Lets put it another way
Under local dog laws for all townships in my area ( and I assume this tends to run true elsewhere ) , a dog has to be under the immediate control of its owner at all times.
If the dog is confronting LE, it is clearly not under the owners immediate control.
Who is really at fault in that case?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Officers should not be expected to simply allow themselves to be bitten as I have seen suggested here in the past in similar threads

Haven't seen many dogs shot around here, but one officer did have to shoot a cow
I've also seen farmers get their expensive livestock hit by cars and want to blame the cars driver, when in reality it was their poor fencing that contributed to the animal being hit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just one.  

Amiright?

Quoted:

I watched em shooting cattle once when they couldn't get them int the trailer they brought.  

I rolled down my window anf yelled to stop.  One guy came over all bowed up at me until I said to just twist the tail to the side and they move.  He looked at me like I was from outer space.  City cops...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:58:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I see no need to waste time with someone more interested with hurling insults than debating points in a logical and intellectual manner. He posted a question, I posed a reality-based answer, he responded negatively.

I find it ironic though that I'm explaining myself to you, then, after your clever .jpg. C'est la vie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If what he said you consider insults.... then you need thicker skin.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:00:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If my dog is on my property, acting in HIS official duty of defending me and my home and is killed by someone, you can be damn sure I will take that as a lethal threat to the safety of my family.  that dog is the number one reason my family is safe in the neighborhood I live in.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Good shoot

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:02:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Last year I was scouting for elk and I was on an old forest road. 8 am and I'm all lone walking down this
trail.  All of the sudden I hear this dog barking.  I turn and see a large Rottweiler coming at me from the woods.
I'm like, "are you fucking kidding me?"  I drew my sidearm and waited to see what the dog was going to do.
She finally stopped and stood there barking at me, no teeth, no growling, just barking...that's what dogs do.
A minute later some dude on horseback shows up.  I could have easily shot that dog but I didn't, as it wasn't
a threat yet.  A few minutes later I was scratching her ears.  Had I been a trained LE, the dog would most likely
be dead today.
View Quote

And you would be buried in the woods somewhere.  Good thing you have situational awareness.  I rode my bicycle from Atlanta, to Pensacola, FL and encountered probably 50 dogs on back country roads.  If you have ever been on your bicycle for 30 hours you understand the mental and physical strains on the body.  It sucks in that 27th hour when you are gassed and a dog comes running after you.   My biggest fear was actually being attacked and having to kill the dog, then being killed by the owner.  Luckily not one killed me, and I didn't have to shoot any.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:02:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

in-sult
noun
'in?s?lt/
a disrespectful or scornfully abusive remark or action.

Does it meet the definition of an insult? Yes. Am I offended by it? No. But, there are rules here, and that's pretty disrespectful to automatically assume someone is a wannabe cop killer just because they would fire at a unidentified figure on their property at night whom just fired upon and killed their dog.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:03:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
in-sult
noun
'in?s?lt/
a disrespectful or scornfully abusive remark or action.

Does it meet the definition of an insult? Yes. Am I offended by it? No. But, there are rules here, and that's pretty disrespectful to automatically assume someone is a wannabe cop killer just because they would fire at a unidentified figure on their property at night whom just fired upon and killed their dog.
View Quote

Like I said.. thicker skin.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:04:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If my dog is on my property, acting in HIS official duty of defending me and my home and is killed by someone, you can be damn sure I will take that as a lethal threat to the safety of my family.  that dog is the number one reason my family is safe in the neighborhood I live in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Careful.  You're being baited.  COC dictates we all act like official lives are worth more than our family members.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Apology is admitting you did something wrong.   The police even knew it.

You can't go around shooting everything that looks at you wrong just ensure your safety 100%.  There is a risk you must accept for the sake of the public if you want to do that kind of work.  If you're not willing to accept that risk then McD's is hiring.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry, but that's how your comment came across.
You're looking for any justification to be able to open up on LE and have an excuse to do so.
If you think my comment was an insult, maybe consider what you type a little more carefully.
I'm more than happy to discuss opinions, but the site is overrun these days with people itching for confrontations with police

One observation on the incident that some people keep overlooking:
lots of people saying "if my dog is on my land defending it blah blah"...the dog in question wasn't on the owners land.
The LEOs were confronted by a large dog in an alleyway while in pursuit of a fleeing suspect.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top