Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2014 8:33:54 PM EDT
I just moved into a house with a few friends. This morning, one of the "flexible" hoses under the bathroom sink decided to let go. Water only ran out for 30 seconds or so, but it still made a mess. We are very fortunate that we were home  when this happened. I bought two steel braided hoses to replace the broken hose, as well as the one next to it. While replacing the second hose, it broke off in an identical manner as the first hose. I'm thinking that all of the other sink hoses are getting replaced tomorrow.

TL/DR: Old hose broke.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sayin' it's poltergeists..

But it's poltergeists.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you like sloshing across your carpet, braided is the only way to go. Something like that upstairs can wipe out a two
story house in a half hour.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I woke up one day, and decided to go into my basement on a whim.  I heard what sounded like sizzling.  I couldn't figure out what it was, at first.  I went into my laundry area, and after a minute of poking around, I found that the braided like coming from my water heater had sprung a leak on the back, by the wall.  The sizzling sound was a jet of hot water shooting out of the small fissure in the plastic under the braided sheath, and hitting the wall behind it (which separates the laundry area from the rec. area).  The wall, and baseboard warped slightly.  Had I not gone in the basement, I don't know how long it might have sprayed the wall, and how much damage might have occurred.

So, even braided line goes bad.  Lines are cheap, so replace them every once in a while.  It beats water damage.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Duct tape it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]
We had a supply line to the toilet fail in our office a few years go. It is a good thing that I showed up at 4:30am since about a quarter of the office was flooded. Normal start time is 7:00am. The office would have been a mess had I not shown up early.

Weird.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Inspect your clothes washing machine's supply hoses, they are usually forgotten until there is 1" of water everywhere.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
FloodStop valves are the answer.  Leak sensors are cascadable and, if you put one on the house supply line, the ability to turn the water on & off for maintenance is an added plus.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Inspect your clothes washing machine's supply hoses, they are usually forgotten until there is 1" of water everywhere.
View Quote

This is excellent advice. People forget that flexible hoses don't last forever. If you replace them, get the ones with the braided stainless steel on them. They won't last forever, either, but are more durable.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top