BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These are all things I've seen for myself over the past few decades and agree with.  I put on the correct mask every day when I walk through the door of my current employer.  I act the part for my 8 hours.  I guess I'm just frustrated with the expectation that I conform to the norms of thought when I have just as much value as others in terms of output.  My opinions are my business.  What I produce for their business should be their primary concern.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.  For most jobs, there are thousands of people who either a) can do the job or b) can be trained to do the job.  Personality is far more important than technical skills, particularly since you tend to spend 8+ hours a day with your co-workers.  It seems like these types of questions are completely relevant and fair.  No one wants to spends all day working next to an anti-social outcast. Anti-social employees can be a drain on the productivity of the entire organization.

This bit from the What your boss probably wants you to know thread seems pretty relevant to your point.

1. Your Attitude Matters Almost as Much as Your Work
You might think that if you do great work, that’s all that matters—but attitude and interpersonal skills can matter a great deal. Healthy organizations have low tolerance for difficult personalities, in part because managing a team can be exhausting, and it gets significantly harder when a team member is resistant to feedback, difficult to work with, or just plain unpleasant.
If you complain frequently, regularly shoot down ideas, or act like the office prima donna, your boss probably considers you a pain to deal with, even if she never says so. That could result in you getting less interesting work assignments, less flexibility, lower raises, and a higher chance of ending up at the top of the list if cuts ever need to be made—yes, even if your work product is stellar. To be clear, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t speak up if you disagree or are unhappy. Good managers value input. But if you find yourself resisting more projects than you embrace or if you get feedback that you’re coming across as negative or combative rather than constructive, there’s a problem.

These are all things I've seen for myself over the past few decades and agree with.  I put on the correct mask every day when I walk through the door of my current employer.  I act the part for my 8 hours.  I guess I'm just frustrated with the expectation that I conform to the norms of thought when I have just as much value as others in terms of output.  My opinions are my business.  What I produce for their business should be their primary concern.

It's more than that now.. it used to be that you could let your hair down after 5pm and just be you.  Now you have to be them nearly 24/7.  Shit's like 1984 but it's the truth.  When you're done at the office post a golfing picture and pretend that you enjoy Bed Bath and Beyond naw'm'sayin.  If I were to go to work in Chicago tomorrow I would have to peel the Silencer Shop sticker off of the back of my car and replace it with an Obama sticker in order to come in under the radar.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.  For most jobs, there are thousands of people who either a) can do the job or b) can be trained to do the job.  Personality is far more important than technical skills, particularly since you tend to spend 8+ hours a day with your co-workers.  It seems like these types of questions are completely relevant and fair.  No one wants to spends all day working next to an anti-social outcast. Anti-social employees can be a drain on the productivity of the entire organization.

This bit from the What your boss probably wants you to know thread seems pretty relevant to your point.

You might think that if you do great work, that’s all that matters—but attitude and interpersonal skills can matter a great deal. Healthy organizations have low tolerance for difficult personalities, in part because managing a team can be exhausting, and it gets significantly harder when a team member is resistant to feedback, difficult to work with, or just plain unpleasant.
If you complain frequently, regularly shoot down ideas, or act like the office prima donna, your boss probably considers you a pain to deal with, even if she never says so. That could result in you getting less interesting work assignments, less flexibility, lower raises, and a higher chance of ending up at the top of the list if cuts ever need to be made—yes, even if your work product is stellar. To be clear, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t speak up if you disagree or are unhappy. Good managers value input. But if you find yourself resisting more projects than you embrace or if you get feedback that you’re coming across as negative or combative rather than constructive, there’s a problem.

You should just mount them and let them know what time it is
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You mean to tell me that being an irritable-moody-loner-basement dweller is not a desirable thing in a corporate culture?  Say it ain't so!!!

Next thing you'll tell me is that bathing is encouraged and maybe even required!

View Quote

I dress well, clean, shower, shave, etc.  It's that corporate culture is taking out financed loans on $33,000 cars that suck, it's choking down cheap hot dogs, and being forced to pretend to give a shit about football etc.  That's the complaint brah.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Frankly, I wouldn't want to work at a place that would hire me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How you affect the output of others is arguably more important. If you being difficult to work with decreases overall productivity your individual output is irrelevant.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How you affect the output of others is arguably more important. If you being difficult to work with decreases overall productivity your individual output is irrelevant.

/heavy sigh

I am a model of happy easy-going productive agreeable worker-bee-ness when i'm on the clock.  That's what is expected of me, so that's what I deliver.  I'm just frustrated with employers thinking introverts cannot be productive members of the work force because of their personal beliefs/feelings.  Granted, this is mostly me venting about the status of affairs, but I'm super-grateful to all the introverts out there who have offered their support to my... well... butthurt lol
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Their dollars.

Their rules.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm an introvert by nature.

Suck it up and fake it if that's what is called for.

View Quote

Yep.  During job interviews I'm Mike fucking Rowe.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

/heavy sigh

I am a model of happy easy-going productive agreeable worker-bee-ness when i'm on the clock.  That's what is expected of me, so that's what I deliver.  I'm just frustrated with employers thinking introverts cannot be productive members of the work force because of their personal beliefs/feelings.  Granted, this is mostly me venting about the status of affairs, but I'm super-grateful to all the introverts out there who have offered their support to my... well... butthurt lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/heavy sigh

So you lower your head and eyes......ß
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I dress well, clean, shower, shave, etc.  It's that corporate culture is taking out financed loans on $33,000 cars that suck, it's choking down cheap hot dogs, and being forced to pretend to give a shit about football etc.  That's the complaint brah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean to tell me that being an irritable-moody-loner-basement dweller is not a desirable thing in a corporate culture?  Say it ain't so!!!

Next thing you'll tell me is that bathing is encouraged and maybe even required!

Manage different types and introverts have their place at work.  My biggest challenges with introverts is that they are negative and cynical as shit. They tend to over examine everything and are full of self doubt.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Every person has to lie to pass those stupid things. They make you take one to work at fucking K-Mart.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Those tests are fucking retarded anyway.

Lie your ass off.  That's honestly all those tests are good for, who is the best liar?

Being good at keeping up on a lie is a pretty good measure of intelligence too so I guess there is that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Every person has to lie to pass those stupid things. They make you take one to work at fucking K-Mart.
View Quote

...there are still k-marts?  but them being ubiquitous does not make it kosher.  introverts are at least 45% of the population of the world depending on which surveys you read... why should we have to pretend to be just another normie?  ahh, f it.  i'm going to sleep lol.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#13]
sounds like you just applied to a company run by marketing/advertising majors. is this anywhere near accurate? any evidence that there is a sports bar nearby where you'll be expected to hang out after hours with your bro-coworkers on fridays?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm happy to be in IT.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Manage different types and introverts have their place at work.  My biggest challenges with introverts is that they are negative and cynical as shit. They tend to over examine everything and are full of self doubt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meanwhile "extroverts" tend to be brown nosing, loud, self centered idiots who suck at most things and try to make up for it by bullshitting their way through.

Stereotypes are fun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have to fake your way into a company via a personality test, things aren't going too go well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a HR bullshit test.  Everybody knows it's bullshit, and everybody lies on it.

Everybody.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Dude, go do what you have to do to get the job. Play the HR game. They are full of shit, job justification assholes anyways. Go get the $$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

...there are still k-marts?  but them being ubiquitous does not make it kosher.  introverts are at least 45% of the population of the world depending on which surveys you read... why should we have to pretend to be just another normie?  ahh, f it.  i'm going to sleep lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck on the interview
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top