Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2014 6:02:25 PM EDT
Is there any state in which the act of spotlighting game animals (such as deer) while in possession of a firearm is not an offense?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
nova scotia?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Follow up question:

Why is it illegal in the first place?

Never understood that
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You can't even do it here with just the light. Its called harassing wildlife. Ask me how I know. LOL...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Follow up question:

Never understood that
View Quote

Because it is too easy to kill that way
We have to have laws like that because some scum would do it otherwise
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#5]
2014 - 2015 Mammal Regs just came out in California.

"You would get reamed" if caught spotlighting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Question: Can I use a light at night to "spotlight"or look for deer from my car?
Answer: It is legal in New York to use artificial light to spot deer as long as those firearms are locked in the trunk, completely secured in a case, or broken down. Compound bows, long bows and crossbows are broken down if unstrung. You may not operate an artificial light within 500' of a dwelling without consent of the owner/lessee.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Cause lots of people spot them and shoot them at night..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Follow up question:

Never understood that
View Quote

All the methods that are considered "way too effective" are made illegal, and hence, poaching offenses.  If you look at the regs in that light, they may make more sense to you.

The poachers wouldn't do it, if it didn't work great.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as I know it's not illegal in Texas.  It happens all the time when spotlighting rabbits or pigs or any other pest.

However, if you're shooting at [deer] or a GW can demonstrate intent to shoot at [deer], you're in trouble.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Spoiler alert:  this IS a gotcha thread
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
GTG on private land here.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As far as I know it's not illegal in Texas.  It happens all the time when spotlighting rabbits or pigs or any other pest.

However, if you're shooting at or a GW can demonstrate intent to shoot at, you're in trouble.
View Quote

If you can get in trouble, I would think it would be illegal, no?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Follow up question:

Never understood that
View Quote

Aside from the argument about poaching, it can be dangerous shooting from random places along the road after dark because there might be a house or something beyond the trees.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there any state in which the act of spotlighting game animals (such as deer) while in possession of a firearm is not an offense?
View Quote

Legal for predators and fur bearers here, try it on deer or fowl though and prepare the lube.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, if you're shooting at or a GW can demonstrate intent to shoot at, you're in trouble.

Spotlighting while in possession of a firearm is not equivalent to SHOOTING AT, attempting to shoot at, or preparing to shoot at Deer with said firearm.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Spotlighting while in possession of a firearm is not equivalent to SHOOTING AT, attempting to shoot at, or preparing to shoot at Deer with said firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, which is why those are generally separate offenses.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]
In MS it depends on the animal. Coyotes or hogs are usually fine as long as it's crystal clear what you are doing. Any game species is asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#20]
It's legal in TX if the animal in question is an exotic, IE non game animal like hogs.
In college I had a collection permit and we spotlighted in (2) teams of (2) from a high rack on the back of a truck and killed deer. We often would kill a dozen or more deer a night and put them on the trailer we towed. We called the game warden ahead of time to tell him which county and what part of the county we would be in. I did it for several years and the same program went on for over 10 yeras. In that entire time not one person called the game warden to complain of spotlighting, shooting at night on dirt roads or a truck carrying 15 dead deer in February after season (we always started after season and stopped when the bucks dropped their antlers) was going down the highway at 2am.
In several instances people would corner you at a sportsman show and complain about how all the deer were being killed by spotlighters, then you would shoot a deer within hearing distance of their house and they never called the wardens either.

I know several wardens personally and they did like to be informed ahead of time. I haven't had the reason to in a long time.

That was nothing compared to shooting ducks with a supressed .22 from a blind to get a carcass to test for avian flu.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are hunting non game animals at night, it is a good thing to inform the game wardens before hand, just so they know.  Honest hunters do it and the warden usually doesn't lift a finger.  But when you don't, they will ream you.  Better have your ducks in a row.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Err...  I'm not sure which or what "those" are that you're referring to.  So, to be clear.

Riding around in the truck, guns out the window, spotlight shines on deer, everyone checks them out for a few minutes.  Continue on.  =  Legal  (In Texas)

Riding around in the truck, guns out the window, spotlight shines on deer, someone shoots at one and hits.  =  Illegal

Riding around in the truck, guns out the window, spotlight shines on deer, someone shoots and misses.  = Illegal  (I think.  I'd have to look at the law and see exactly how it's worded.  I'm not sure the law specifically covers spotlighting.  Rather, game animals like Deer are simply illegal to shoot at night.  But, again - I have to look.)

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Good one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Err...  I'm not sure which or what "those" are that you're referring to.  So, to be clear.
Riding around in the truck, guns out the window, spotlight shines on deer, everyone checks them out for a few minutes.  Continue on.  =  Legal  (In Texas)

Riding around in the truck, guns out the window, spotlight shines on deer, someone shoots at one and hits.  =  Illegal

Riding around in the truck, guns out the window, spotlight shines on deer, someone shoots and misses.  = Illegal  (I think.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Riding around in the truck, guns out the window, spotlight shines on deer, someone shoots and misses.  = Illegal  (I think.)

Only amatuers shoot from the window, that's what high racks are for so you can have someone shooting from each side of the bed and someone operating the light while the 5th person drives.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#25]
So here's my question (the "gotcha")...

Where it is prohibited to shine a spotlight at game animals ( such as deer ) while in posession of a firearm, are there exemptions or non-applicability statutes for on duty police officers.

Keep in mind now that actually shooting at the critter is a separate offense.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Only amatuers shoot from the window, that's what high racks are for so you can have someone shooting from each side of the bed and someone operating the light while the 5th person drives.

View Quote

Some folks get all the fancy gear.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah well the state was providing it, at least part of it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Here in California's D8 Zone, we have an incredible quantity of shameless road hunters.  Fat men who can't walk a step?  Yes, and lazy skinny ones, too.. plus city people afraid of the dark, who would shoot at movement,  your movement, and then speed off when they discover a 7mm Magnum hole thru your torso.  It would be worse than a Euro soccer riot, with guns, and no fit girls.

We are also ate up with the 4wheeler crowd, which also can't walk a step to hunt public lands.

If California allowed spotlighting and roadhunting, it would sound like WWII year round, the poaching would Go CRAZY, and it wouldn't even be safe to go hiking, since hikers are hard to see.  Hunting accidents are not seen as serious as murder, so that's increased reason for concern.

Tisn't legal to drive around with a loaded firearm on just a hunting license here.

The rules may not be ideal, but we live with them fine.

I never saw a single hunter in D8 actually away from his vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know a way to hunt 'coons without a light.  That, at least, is legal here in MO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Virginia doesn't specifically prohibit it, except in one narrow case.
The only specifically illegal act in VA is casting a light from a vehicle on the roadway to a place where deer may be.  
Now, hunting a variety of animals after dark is illegal. But spotlighting and shooting say raccoons that are legal to hunt after dark, is just fine, as is walking around with a flashlight shining game animals so long as you aren't hunting them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If you are hunting non game animals at night, it is a good thing to inform the game wardens before hand, just so they know.  Honest hunters do it and the warden usually doesn't lift a finger.  But when you don't, they will ream you.  Better have your ducks in a row.
View Quote

I have never heard of anyone doing that. Nor would I care what a game warden thought of me varmint hunting at night.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I have never heard of anyone doing that. Nor would I care what a game warden thought of me varmint hunting at night.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It used to be listed in the annual hunting proclimation with dates etc... that they requested you do it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
So here's my question (the "gotcha")...

Where it is prohibited to shine a spotlight at game animals ( such as deer ) while in posession of a firearm, are there exemptions or non-applicability statutes for on duty police officers.

Keep in mind now that actually shooting at the critter is a separate offense.

View Quote

You aren't by chance talking about me are you?  LEO at a place where we've had a variety of dramatic roadkill the last couple nights.  

I was hazing elk to get em away from the road.  I did run the spotlight because I was too lazy to mount the PVS14s to my paintball marker.

cheers,

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everyone should know by now ALL your threads are "gotcha" threads. LOL
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was with a party up near Bogota, Texas one time and we did inform the game warden earlier that afternoon.   Told him exactly where we'd be.

I stayed behind and slept off a drunk but everyone else that went got guns pointed at them and their stuff confiscated for a few months along with a big fat fine.

The dirt road we thought was a private road on the property owner's land (whose permission we had) was actually a county road.  Dickhead GW knew the exact spot we were talking about, knew it was a CR when we described it, and used it as an opportunity to fuck with people when they only informed him as a "courtesy" as the handbook says you should.

So no, I don't personally recommend telling the GWs anything ahead of time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you have a guilty conscience and hallucinogenic meds.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#39]
some states allow anything for pigs
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Coon, coyote and fox are ok to use a light on here but spotlight a deer here and they will fuck the offender hard
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

I do this all the time, why the hell would that be illegal? I always have a gun, and most of the times I'm outside I see a deer with my flashlight. Not sure how I'm supposed to avoid that.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Scatman Crothers?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Coyotes, racoons, fox, and skunk are ok to be shined here in IL during the winter night-season, but the light source may not be attached to or used from a vehicle. The TNVC 600-lumen replacement-head for Surefire weapon-lights rocks, BTW.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#44]
You can spotlight certain animals in many states.  Fox, coyote, Raccoon, etc...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Except Reserve/NG use, Fort Chaffee, AR was closed from the 1950's until JRTC moved back in around 1986.

Locals got used to Chaffee's fertile hunting grounds. The sudden onslaught of over 1,000 active duty soldiers taking over the woods for three weeks every month didn't sit right with some of the locals. They said, "Fuckit, we gots some deer shining to do and ain't nobody gonna stop us".

Middle of the night, 1,000+ soldiers camo'd up quietly sneaking through the woods with nothing but blank ammo when all of a sudden "BOOM BOOM BOOM". Everybody sits down, takes off helmets, digs in to be quiet while range control calls Sheriff Skeeter to come out and chase off his cousin Skeeter, second cousin Skeeter, and sister Skeeter from shining deer at night,
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Question: Can I use a light at night to "spotlight"or look for deer from my car?
Answer: It is legal in New York to use artificial light to spot deer as long as those firearms are locked in the trunk, completely secured in a case, or broken down. Compound bows, long bows and crossbows are broken down if unstrung. You may not operate an artificial light within 500' of a dwelling without consent of the owner/lessee.
View Quote

You can use a spotlight to take furbearers at night as long as you aren't in a vehicle or on a road.

You may hunt furbearers at night, with or without a light, as follows:
•You may use a light, but you may not hunt from any motor vehicle, including an ATV. All laws pertaining to the use of a spotlight and firearm apply.
•If hunting without a light, the use of a light gathering ("starlight") scope is legal on any firearm listed below.
•You may use any handgun or bow.
•You may use a shotgun loaded with shot (any size).
•You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:34:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Coon, coyote and fox are ok to use a light on here but spotlight a deer here and they will fuck the offender hard
View Quote

Same here. About 20 years ago I knew a guy who poached deer and he got fucked hard when he was caught. The DEC took his rifle, fourwheeler, truck, and they even took his camp and the land it was on.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
some states allow anything for pigs
View Quote

Pretty much.

Damn things are destructive pests.

Kill them all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#49]
In PA you can spotlight if you are in possession of a firearm covered under your LTCF.  

You cannot have a long gun, but handguns, Sbrs, SBS, and anything with AOL<26" is fine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:40:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You can't even do it here with just the light. Its called harassing wildlife. Ask me how I know. LOL...
View Quote

Same in GA, but I don't have personal experience.  You can hunt hogs with a light < 6v.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top