Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2014 5:20:27 PM EDT
I own three torque wrenches - two click types and an inexpensive beam type thats a PIA to read.  I need to start working regularly with some bolts torqued to 17-18 ft./lbs without over-torquing.  Max range use for this beam type is probably ~20 ft./lbs.  I am going to use a beam-type for this - not a click type.  I am aware that more torque wrenches are not that accurate at the lower 20% of their range.

The task is a little tricky (helps to have three arms) and I'd like to be able to see the needle as easily as possible.

My sweet spot cost range is probably ~$80.  I am not looking to feel better about myself by buying SnapOn.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Having been a diesel tech for 18 years and a cheap skate all my life what you are asking for in that price is not going to be found NIB. Try hitting the pawn shops. You can find some of the digital Snapon Tech wrenches for about 125. Check if they have a cal slip with them. Most of us keep them in the box so you should be able to tell if the owner ever had it done.

Also the dial wrenches are a good bet. I have 2 of them and use them quite a bit. There too pawn shops or Craig's List
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I own three torque wrenches - two click types and an inexpensive beam type thats a PIA to read.  I need to start working regularly with some bolts torqued to 17-18 ft./lbs without over-torquing.  Max range use for this beam type is probably ~20 ft./lbs.  I am going to use a beam-type for this - not a click type.  I am aware that more torque wrenches are not that accurate at the lower 20% of their range.

The task is a little tricky (helps to have three arms) and I'd like to be able to see the needle as easily as possible.

My sweet spot cost range is probably ~$80.  I am not looking to feel better about myself by buying SnapOn.
View Quote

PROTO.  99% of Snap-On quality at 50% of the price.

i use 1/4 and 3/8 drive PROTO clickers on my motorcycle and never a problem.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Precision Instruments
or
Harbor freight @ $10-$15 on sale. If only torqueing gaskets or simple parts where
consistency is the main factor not precise torque.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy an inch-lbs torque wrench.

18 ft-lb = 216 inch-lb
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top