Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2014 5:07:57 PM EDT

The China-US sorpasso is looming. I do not mean the much-exaggerated moment when China’s GDP will overtake America's GDP – which may not happen in the lifetime of anybody reading this blog post – as China slows to more pedestrian growth rates (an objective of premier Li Keqiang.)
The sorpasso may instead be the ominous moment when China’s debt ratios overtake the arch-debtor itself.

I had presumed that this inflection point was still a very long way off, but a new report from Stephen Green at Standard Chartered argues that China’s aggregate debt level has reached 251 per cent of GDP, as of June.
This is up 20 percentage points of GDP since late 2013. The total is much higher than normal estimates, though it tallies with what I have heard privately from officials at the IMF and the BIS.

Mr Green – a highly-respected China veteran – includes total social financing (TSF), offshore cross-border bank borrowing (a story that we are going to hear a lot about), bond issuance, shadow banking of various kinds, and government debt.

The ratio has risen by 100 percentage points of GDP over the last five years. As Fitch has argued out in the past, this is more than double the rise seen in Japan over the five years before the Nikkei bubble burst in 1990, or in the US before subprime blew up in 2007, or in Korea before the Asian financial crisis.

It is the speed of the rise that worries credit rating agencies and regulators – including many at the Chinese central bank – as much as the volume itself. Though China is scary on both fronts. It has pushed debt to $26 trillion, more than the entire commercial banking systems of the US and Japan combined. The scale obviously has global ramifications.
View Quote

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100027691/chinas-terrifying-debt-ratios-poised-to-breeze-past-us-levels/
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
China will collapse too.  Their real estate market is more over leveraged than our own.  When it goes, there'll be a lot of new poor people there.

The question in my mind is will the Commies be able to prevent a revolution when that happens?  If they do, China stands to emerge as the world powerhouse this century.  One thing China has that we don't have here:  savings and gold.  Regarding savings, they can become a consumer economy much we were in the '50s.  On the latter, they're very secretive as to the quantity they hold in their vaults.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
wait.  So, we borrowed money from them.  But they have more debt than us?  Who the hell lent them the money to lend us?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Man they even copy our debt.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The China-US sorpasso is looming. I do not mean the much-exaggerated moment when China’s GDP will overtake America's GDP – which may not happen in the lifetime of anybody reading this blog post – as China slows to more pedestrian growth rates (an objective of premier Li Keqiang.)
The sorpasso may instead be the ominous moment when China’s debt ratios overtake the arch-debtor itself.

I had presumed that this inflection point was still a very long way off, but a new report from Stephen Green at Standard Chartered argues that China’s aggregate debt level has reached 251 per cent of GDP, as of June.
This is up 20 percentage points of GDP since late 2013. The total is much higher than normal estimates, though it tallies with what I have heard privately from officials at the IMF and the BIS.

Mr Green – a highly-respected China veteran – includes total social financing (TSF), offshore cross-border bank borrowing (a story that we are going to hear a lot about), bond issuance, shadow banking of various kinds, and government debt.

The ratio has risen by 100 percentage points of GDP over the last five years. As Fitch has argued out in the past, this is more than double the rise seen in Japan over the five years before the Nikkei bubble burst in 1990, or in the US before subprime blew up in 2007, or in Korea before the Asian financial crisis.

It is the speed of the rise that worries credit rating agencies and regulators – including many at the Chinese central bank – as much as the volume itself. Though China is scary on both fronts. It has pushed debt to $26 trillion, more than the entire commercial banking systems of the US and Japan combined. The scale obviously has global ramifications.
View Quote

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100027691/chinas-terrifying-debt-ratios-poised-to-breeze-past-us-levels/
View Quote

When every nation's credit is shitty, the best of the worst will be the new standard for good credit.  This is so retarded.  ZOMG! China has debt!  WTF.  This is news?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]

...and the meek shall inherit the... debt.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Zing!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]
And now they have an outbreak of beubonic plague

Lots of good stuff going on around the globe huh?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Would they even dare to call in our debts that we owe them?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One thing China has that we don't have here:  savings and gold.  Regarding savings, they can become a consumer economy much we were in the '50s.  
View Quote

A lot of those savings are people who see a trainwreck coming.  "China will get old before they can get rich"  Their demographics are completely fucked.  As soon as the single child policy era parents start racking up serious medical bills and drop out of the workplace, which is soon, Chinese social program spending is going to go ballistic at the same time the ratio of productive workers to geezers flips over hard.  Economic shitstorm.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
They live in interesting times

Quoted:
And now they have an outbreak of beubonic plague

Lots of good stuff going on around the globe huh?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
One of my econ profs in college believed that most of their major state backed enterprises had an interwoven tangle of bad debt and phony assets that would collapse their economy if exposed. A giant heap of phony assets propped up to cover the losses that resulted from poor planning, wasted projects, and old fashioned corruption.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#12]
What are they wasting all that money on? I didn't think they had a welfare state like us.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Seeing things like workers striking in China gives me hope that the unions will see the same opportunity that big business does and will take advantage at a higher rate using what they have learned here.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
wait.  So, we borrowed money from them.  But they have more debt than us?  Who the hell lent them the money to lend us?
View Quote

Fiat currency bro, we are all borrowing from our grand children.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
We did?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#16]

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What are they wasting all that money on? I didn't think they had a welfare state like us.
View Quote

Communist China?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ghost cities?  Shit tons of investment in Africa?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Local/regional government has been borrowing money to build empty cities and unused infrastructure that no one can afford because that counts as GDP growth and that's a major part of moving up the party ladder to where the real money is (plus they collect bajillions in kickbacks, obviously).  Individuals have been borrowing to buy empty houses and apartments in the empty cities hoping to sell to the people who aren't coming because they're rightly terrified of being broke when they age and government has been pumping the real estate bubble to mind boggling proportions.

What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

**Golf clap**
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Local/regional government has been borrowing money to build empty cities and unused infrastructure that no one can afford because that counts as GDP growth and that's a major part of moving up the party ladder to where the real money is (plus they collect bajillions in kickbacks, obviously).  Individuals have been borrowing to buy empty houses and apartments in the empty cities hoping to sell to the people who aren't coming because they're rightly terrified of being broke when they age and government has been pumping the real estate bubble to mind boggling proportions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They decide to divert their peoples attention away from it with a good old war, and go at it with Russia and India?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#22]
But but but everyone tells me China is way richer than us and they have all of our debt and could ruin us if they called in that debt!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Peak Harbor Freight.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Ho Lee Fuk.
Tell them to print mo money.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We did?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We did?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Communist China?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Communist China?

They don't seem very communist. Totalitarian, yes.

Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.

They'll probably just murder anyone who complains when the bubble pops.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Zing!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zing!

And when it crashes it's really going to be SHTF in China.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#28]
So ...exactly how many gold-plated titanium Chinese Panda's would it take to pay off their debt?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Imperialism/ feudalist conquering will relieve some of the debt.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out the modern railroad they built to the far West provinces; that one didn't come cheap.  Nor that humungous dam.

That is what I was wondering about. Infrastructure like highways, dams and heavy rail usually pays nice dividends. Pork filled boondoggle projects like the ever popular ghost cities, not so much.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So ...exactly how many gold-plated titanium Chinese Panda's would it take to pay off their debt?
View Quote

they wont pay it....they will simply walk away from it......tell their debtors to pound sand
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Would they even dare to call in our debts that we owe them?
View Quote

I don't see what good it would do them.  If nothing else, I would think it would send the markets into a tail spin, since it would demonstrate what a sham we've been living for the past 50 or so years.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread makes me feel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, better!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#37]
So basing your entire economic model on selling cheap, high volume consumer goods BELOW cost was actually a bad idea.  

Who'd a thunk it???
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Long Dong missiles... lots and lots of Long Dongs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We did?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We did?

Damn it took me a minute, good one

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
One of my econ profs in college believed that most of their major state backed enterprises had an interwoven tangle of bad debt and phony assets that would collapse their economy if exposed. A giant heap of phony assets propped up to cover the losses that resulted from poor planning, wasted projects, and old fashioned corruption.
View Quote

This is sort of reminiscent of the pre-war zaibatsu and later keiretsu in Japan which started to come unglued in the recession beginning in the 1990s.

The Chicoms are really cracking down on social media. Perhaps trying to stay ahead of the curve and tamp down unrest should things head south. Back in the '80s Japan Inc. was going to buy up the US. The real estate under the Imperial Palace in Tokyo was supposed to be worth more than Montana, or some such bull.

These things have a way of reverting to the mean.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Satan.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
Three Gorges Project?  Times a million.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

We did
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#44]
You know, people used to think that when and if the US economy went into the shitter, that Japan would be the preeminent economic power.  Then they thought that it would be Europe.  Then they thought that it would be China.
But the truth is, the global economy is so interconnected that if we go down, we're taking everyone with us and there will BE NO ECONOMIC POWER TO PULL US OUT OF IT.
That's almost scarier than China becoming the bigshots.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Soooo.....

We're on fire and hurtling toward the sun, but they're overtaking us?

Ok.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
China will collapse too.  Their real estate market is more over leveraged than our own.  When it goes, there'll be a lot of new poor people there.

The question in my mind is will the Commies be able to prevent a revolution when that happens?  If they do, China stands to emerge as the world powerhouse this century.  One thing China has that we don't have here:  savings and gold.  Regarding savings, they can become a consumer economy much we were in the '50s.  On the latter, they're very secretive as to the quantity they hold in their vaults.
View Quote

Nice, does that mean I can sale them cheap goods from my sweat shop full of mex-e-cans?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nice, does that mean I can sale them cheap goods from my sweat shop full of mex-e-cans?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if it's cheaper for your Mex-e-cans can produce them cheaper than the slave labor over there.

As another member said, it's Peak-Harbor  Freight or more close to home for moar Americans, Peak-Wally World.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Only if it's cheaper for your Mex-e-cans can produce them cheaper than the slave labor over there.

As another member said, it's Peak-Harbor  Freight or more close to home for moar Americans, Peak-Wally World.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, if what you're saying is true that just might be the case in the future.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I always heard this from scholars that knew a lot about the current Chinese system. The shadow of hardcore Maoists leers over everything. And when things snap, that shadow will retake things.

Back to bicycles, pig iron backyard plants, communal farms, and the end of exorbitant metropolitan living.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

its a pyramid scheme of perpetual motion.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top