Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That didn't take long.

Nice AK you've got there.

But it's a nice trashcan.

Cool rifle!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I should have bought an AK variant for my collection years ago.  Now even the shit mystery builds are $800

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I should have bought an AK variant for my collection years ago.  Now even the shit mystery builds are $800

View Quote

Doesn't seem like they will ever be in the $400 range. Last couple of AKs I saw were $1200 or so.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice WASR!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My WASR was $375 all together with tax, box of wolf 7.62, 2 magazines, cleaning kit, sling.....
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two SAR-1's, two newer WASRs, SAM7F and a few Yugo m70's . Other than prices, they shoot the same for me and have about the same accuracy. Goes bang every time.

I would like to get my hands on an East German ak (as original as possible)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Post this in GD....get stupid GD responses. Go figure.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
A build like that is something to be proud of. Unlike a WASR, it can be the centerpiece of your collection. Many countries make nice AKs, but no one does it like the Russians. A piece of art you have right there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f276/va-gunnut/AKs%20and%20stuff/EGAK5.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have two SAR-1's, two newer WASRs, SAM7F and a few Yugo m70's . Other than prices, they shoot the same for me and have about the same accuracy. Goes bang every time.

Where da rivets at? And that gas tube...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The history alone behind that rifle makes it awesome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice, congrat's!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Not an AK guy but guns you have to work to get right are cool.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Any build is awesome in my book, but your's is great OP!  Did you make the receiver?  Definitely more intensive than an AR build, which is really more assembly than building.  How about a mac next?  I love the practicality of firearms made from sheet metal (not entirely of course).
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What's the difference with the machine gun barrels?
View Quote
Just a ATF thing.

It's damn near impossible to find Russian made AK barrels that were not part of a kit.

The ones I have seen available were from milled guns not stamped guns
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's the two things off about the rifle, other then the US receiver. It's a weld build, so no rivets, and the gas tube has holes. I'm guessing the tube came from another rifle (no numbers).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where da rivets at? And that gas tube...

That's the two things off about the rifle, other then the US receiver. It's a weld build, so no rivets, and the gas tube has holes. I'm guessing the tube came from another rifle (no numbers).

Easy enough to slap an AKM tube on it if you wanted.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Why does your hammer/disconnector pin hole not show in your right side photo?  Shopped out?

What paint did you use?

View Quote

Painted therefore hard to see.

I used two paints.

Duplicolor semi Gloss Black Engine paint.

Rustoleum textured bbq black paint.

The Russian finishes I have seen send to be either dark black or black with a teeny bit of texture to them. I used the Duplicolor as a base paint and the Rustoleum over the top. I will say while it's still warm after it comes out of the oven rub some oil along the paint to smooth it out :)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Any build is awesome in my book, but your's is great OP!  Did you make the receiver?  Definitely more intensive than an AR build, which is really more assembly than building.  How about a mac next?  I love the practicality of firearms made from sheet metal (not entirely of course).
View Quote
Its a Nodak Spud US receiver. Whoever had this gun built sent it off to be engraved with the Russian Cyrillic selector markings. I will also say this rifle was probably built at least 7 or 8 years ago as Nodak does not do custom serial numbers anymore.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I took 2 semesters of Russian in school.  Had a feeling it might come in handy someday, looks like I may have been right!  I love the cyrillic alphabet, and the markings are very appropriate on an AK.  I had a sten mag that appeared to have cyrillic markings, could have been Israeli or something else though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I took 2 semesters of Russian in school.  Had a feeling it might come in handy someday, looks like I may have been right!  I love the cyrillic alphabet, and the markings are very appropriate on an AK.  I had a sten mag that appeared to have cyrillic markings, could have been Israeli or something else though.
View Quote
Hebrew

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#23]
three AK purchases I regret not making

1. Tula AKM prebuilt rifles complete with new CHF/CL Romanian barrels several years back being sold by Atlantic
2. East German MPi-KM kits $250 a couple years back
3. One of the Romanian-made (not IO) Wieger 5.56 clones... a couple years back - gee, I sense a theme here.

although I really love AKs and do appreciate the history/work that goes into building an Izzy/Tula AKM, let's get real man.. the Soviet-era Russians are often on par with Romanian AKs - even WASRs - with regards to machining, fit, and accuracy.

Russian AKs didn't start to get real nice until the later years of the 74M and 100 series, when Russia started doing a lot of the component milling on CNC machines.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Those kits were $239 from JoeKen Firearms back in 2004. I bought two, got a 1969 and 1970 Izhmash AKM.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#25]
10 years means lots of change ....
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice. I have a WASR, but I'd like to have a nicer AKM someday. And a nice milled AK .
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Beautiful gun.

You should have never posted it in GD.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

three AK purchases I regret not making

1. Tula AKM prebuilt rifles complete with new CHF/CL Romanian barrels several years back being sold by Atlantic

2. East German MPi-KM kits $250 a couple years back

3. One of the Romanian-made (not IO) Wieger 5.56 clones... a couple years back - gee, I sense a theme here.

although I really love AKs and do appreciate the history/work that goes into building an Izzy/Tula AKM, let's get real man.. the Soviet-era Russians are often on par with Romanian AKs - even WASRs - with regards to machining, fit, and accuracy.

Russian AKs didn't start to get real nice until the later years of the 74M and 100 series, when Russia started doing a lot of the component milling on CNC machines.
View Quote
No I don't agree. The Wasr 10's are built from left over parts.....I've seen so many shit wasr 10 guns It's not even funny.

The Russian ones are with the exception of Polish in a world of their own.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And yet it still looks and works like a $400 wasr.
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks good and cool history behind the rifle.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Fuck the haters.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Russian ones are with the exception of Polish in a world of their own.
View Quote

I'd post a pic of my Polish under folder, but I don't have one on the computer. That's a compliment to me, in my eyes. I do love it, thanks...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

That's like saying a $400  RIA looks just like a pre-WWII United States Property 1911.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That's like saying a $400  RIA looks just like a pre-WWII United States Property 1911.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.

This....It's a pretty ignorant statement.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice job, OP!

Russian Red is my favorite furniture for AK's.

You definitely have a keeper there.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Sweet gun.

I got pics of my 1970 east german Ak build. It's all matching except the recoil spring but it is the correct piston style. Barrel is perfect, most were rough.

The kit had 5 percent original finish left. I had it hot blued. I guessed that was what should of been had no idea they were to become so rare.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#37]
impressive.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Sweet gun.

I got pics of my 1970 east german Ak build. It's all matching except the recoil spring but it is the correct piston style. Barrel is perfect, most were rough.

The kit had 5 percent original finish left. I had it hot blued. I guessed that was what should of been had no idea they were to become so rare.
View Quote
I think you could have gone either way. Some were Parked some were blued.

Mine isn't 100% matching. The smaller parts are not however they are correct with the exception of the recoil spring which is from a AK47. Barrel condition was really nice. It had been shot but not a lot.

This one took me from about 2009 on to find one I had the money for and could be happy with.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

Stock set alone is worth damn near that and no other wood sets look anywhere near as good as the Russian sets.

Love the Cyrillic Bakelite mag too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:18:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Beautiful build!
1600 is a bargain for this rifle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:08:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have two of those EG wire side-folder stock sets squirreled away as well as the dimpled plastic butt stock version. The wire folder sets were around $30.00 if memory serves back in the 90s.

One thing, if you can still find them buy a extra folder lever. They are prone to breakage.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#42]
TAPCO it out dude!

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:00:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad I got my $300 MAK90 back in the 90's.  Cause I sure as hell would not pay  what an AK gets today....jusy stupid crazy....For what they are... a minute of man 200meter gun...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:04:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Its a Nodak Spud US receiver. Whoever had this gun built sent it off to be engraved with the Russian Cyrillic selector markings. I will also say this rifle was probably built at least 7 or 8 years ago as Nodak does not do custom serial numbers anymore.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NDS used to do the selector markings for awhile as well. They may still do it for all I know. When I ordered my receivers both custom S/Ns and selector marks were an option...I think that was in 09(?) right before they stopped doing the customs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:19:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Very nice OP!

I had one of the East German PLO kits and built it up on a Tapco receiver, It looked good and we had alot of fun firing it, but when the price of those kits started climbing I chopped that puppy up and sold it on Gunbroker for a tidy profit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a Romanian Wum-1 and it is fantastic. (besides the stupid moon cut receiver)

Great looking AK OP!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

Pearls before swine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Your right it looks like an 800 SAR.

But is a sweet russian gun not nasty romanian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh no.  

Your right it looks like an 800 SAR.

But is a sweet russian gun not nasty romanian.

$800 SAR?  I hope.  I paid $225 for mine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just a ATF thing.  

It's damn near impossible to find Russian made AK barrels that were not part of a kit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the difference with the machine gun barrels?
Just a ATF thing.  

Who makes the barrels are the bazzilion saigas floating around?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have a Romanian Wum-1 and it is fantastic. (besides the stupid moon cut receiver)

http://i46.tinypic.com/5bbio6.jpg

Great looking AK OP!
View Quote

I love my wum-1. Got it for $270 in 2007. Put a East German or Polish wire folding stock on it, it's perfect for it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top