Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Who cares about level ground.  Place bricks around perimeter, dump truck load of sand into center, level sand, erect pool.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheap way to do it?

Put stake in center of ground where you want the pool.  Get 16' string tie to stake and connect another stake on other end trace circle in dirt around center stake to get you your 16' foot circle of your pool.

Then start putting more stakes at the circle perimeter start with 4 then do another 4 inside that 4.  Then you have eight quadrants. Tie string about 12'' high on the center stake.  Connect center stake with string to all eight other

stakes.  Make sure the string is tight and level(with a level),  Then measure with a tape measure the string to ground level of the 8 stakes to the ground at the stake and halfway between the 8 stakes and center stake.

Make sure everything is within 1 inch for a 16' 4500-5000 gallon pool.  I have done about 5 like this and the only better option is to build a 4X4 wood post cage around it(can get fancy with hexagon), fill with sand and level it with a board

then put up pool and fill with pea gravel.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Based on the pictures it looks like you've got a bit of earth to move.  Does your local Home Depot have any day workers available in the parking lot?  They'll knock it out in a few minutes.
Doing it by yourself is going to be a chore Patron.

eta But doing it yourself will be both the most labor intensive and the cheapest solution.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a city boy - you'll have to 'splain.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  transit and pole.

surveyor chiming in, forget about the transit/level thing. Get some string, some stakes, a framing level and a shovel.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a tiller to tear up the grass and rake it out.  Drive a piece of rebar in the ground where the pool will be centered.  Drill a hole in the end of 9 ft piece of 2x4.  Take some string and attach a framing level to the middle of the board.  Place the rebar thru the hole in the board and spin the board around to screed the dirt flat exposing low spots while keeping the board level.  Move dirt around as needed.  Took me about 30 minutes to level mine this way.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:28:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, fortunately the soil's pretty sandy, so it's coming up easy.  Perhaps b/c it's shady in that corner the grass doesn't have deep roots & it's a pretty new shovel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone told me to put vermiculite down to kill any grass so it won't grow up through the liner, but landlady has a dog.  Doesn't vermiculite kill pets?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Coming around to this sand idea.  I can get the ground reasonably level by eyeball standards, but unless I mix the vegetation in, the bottom's going to be too lumpy even for me.  So talked the landlady into sand - how much sand do I need for a 16' pool?

It requires geometry, doesn't it?  KNEW I should've been listening in 8th grade.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Pools are a PITA. Return it and spend the money on beer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cheap way to do it?

Put stake in center of ground where you want the pool.  Get 16' string tie to stake and connect another stake on other end trace circle in dirt around center stake to get you your 16' foot circle of your pool.

Snip...
View Quote

If you attach the string to a stake in the middle you need an 8' string not a 16'.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:51:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I am telling you dude you can find someone local with a bobcat /hoe that will probably do it for $50

after you run that shovel for 4 days straight you will appreciate the miracle of equipment
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Coming around to this sand idea.  I can get the ground reasonably level by eyeball standards, but unless I mix the vegetation in, the bottom's going to be too lumpy even for me.  So talked the landlady into sand - how much sand do I need for a 16' pool?

It requires geometry, doesn't it?  KNEW I should've been listening in 8th grade.  
View Quote

Who needs 8th grade?  You could have bailed in the 4th.  http://www.levelgroundpool.com/pool-sand.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am telling you dude you can find someone local with a bobcat /hoe that will probably do it for $50

after you run that shovel for 4 days straight you will appreciate the miracle of equipment
View Quote

I think I've already stated that a backhoe can't get into the backyard.  Already have the popped blister, wish the gates on the fence were wide enough.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Who needs 8th grade?  You could have bailed in the 4th.  http://www.levelgroundpool.com/pool-sand.html
View Quote

Ok, this is the site that someone should've linked on the first page:

http://www.levelgroundpool.com/index.html

Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#17]
And I'll definitely need to do this:

http://www.levelgroundpool.com/pool-washout-prevention.html

Maybe we can do 1st WW reenactments!  Though @ the slope it's on, they'll be Gallipoli reenactments.  

Turkish Mauser vs SMLE Mk iii!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#18]
A 16' pool, w/ 2" of sand under it requires a LOT of sand.  A $3 bag of sand - that's 1/2 a cubic foot.  Gonna have to call around & find some cheaper sand & have it delivered.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Biggest things no one has mentioned.

1. Are there any over head power lines? They must be greater than 10 feet away from the side of the pool. Not counting vertical distance.

2. Does the sewer line run underneath the pool location?

Either one will result in a fine when you get caught and you get to start over.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Who needs 8th grade?  You could have bailed in the 4th.  http://www.levelgroundpool.com/pool-sand.html

Thanks for that.

You asked for best technique, not most informative site.  We're simple minded.  

If you have a pickup, you could probably do a few loads of sand.  Or rent that truck from HomeDepot and make two trips.  Sand is cheap, sand delivery is expensive, at least that used to be the case.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
surveyor chiming in, forget about the transit/level thing. Get some string, some stakes, a framing level and a shovel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a framing level?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:27:33 AM EDT
[#22]
This forum has everything you'd need to know.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/forums/24-Above-Ground-Pools

BTW, that $350 for the pool was the cheap part, hope you realize that.  Everything that comes with the pool is crap, especially the pump and filter.  I could run the pump that came with the pool nonstop and it still couldn't keep it clean.  I've got $1500 in my $350 pool.  It's great now but I considered getting rid of it once the first summer was over.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#23]
You live in Texas, so let's use your pickup truck.  Get a $10 Harbor Freight tarp, put it in the bed, fill bed with water.  Drink beer with hot landlady.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A 16' pool, w/ 2" of sand under it requires a LOT of sand.  A $3 bag of sand - that's 1/2 a cubic foot.  Gonna have to call around & find some cheaper sand & have it delivered.
View Quote

A = pi * r^2

A = 3.14 * 64 = 201 sq ft

2 in = 0.166 ft depth

201 sq ft * 0.166 ft = 33.5 cu ft = 1.24 cu yds.

call it 1.5 yards.  that's not much.  

clean builder's sand will be about $12-15 per ton (it's sold by weight).  a cu yd of sand will weigh about 1.25 tons.  

so you need about 2 tons of builders sand.

nevertheless, the delivery charge on 2 tons will be at least $25, and i would not be surprised if it was $50.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What's a framing level?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a framing level?

a typical 3 or 4 foot long level used by a builder when framing out a structure.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#26]
By the time you are done with the total expense of this "disposable" item, you could have bought: (fill in the blank) ___________________________________
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
By the time you are done with the total expense of this "disposable" item, you could have bought: (fill in the blank) ___________________________________
View Quote

Yeah, the whole sand thing is completely out of the instructions.  But buying this much sand in 1/2 cubic foot bags is for the birds.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#28]
So while speaking to the sand delivery company - w/ a minimum 10 cubic yard order - 13 tons - I went round to the back fence where I was going to have them dump it and discovered that's where the gas meter is.  Where I leveled the ground is right on top of the gas line.    So, I'll be filling in that area of the lawn, and finding a new spot that won't get me fined when I put 21 tons of water on top.  A less level spot, which requires more digging.  Let's call it my Gallipoli reenactment.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So while speaking to the sand delivery company - w/ a minimum 10 cubic yard order - 13 tons - I went round to the back fence where I was going to have them dump it and discovered that's where the gas meter is.  Where I leveled the ground is right on top of the gas line.    So, I'll be filling in that area of the lawn, and finding a new spot that won't get me fined when I put 21 tons of water on top.  A less level spot, which requires more digging.  Let's call it my Gallipoli reenactment.  
View Quote

the gas line is down, what, 4 feet?  why is this a concern?

ar-jedi

ps
the reason that some material supply places sell "by the yard" is because they don't want to install and pay for a certified scale.  in every state, if you sell any product by weight, you need a state certified scale.  nevertheless, you may get more or less than a yard when you buy a yard.  that doesn't happen when the material is sold by weight.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#30]
When I helped to dig pools in high school we leveled the bottom with a good straight 2x4, that was in the Yucca Valley - 29 Palms area..   Should work well for you if the ground is sandy and broken up.  

That was a lot of work running that dang board back and forth.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Another odd thing you might want to consider while setting the pool up.... Install a brick, paving stone, something like that under each leg. The legs will sink into the sand when you start filling the pool and screwing up your leveling job. I learned that the hard way!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:01:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

See above - the water in a 16' x 48" pool weighs 21 tons.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:17:50 AM EDT
[#33]

BTW, that $350 for the pool was the cheap part, hope you realize that.  Everything that comes with the pool is crap, especially the pump and filter.  I could run the pump that came with the pool nonstop and it still couldn't keep it clean.  I've got $1500 in my $350 pool.  It's great now but I considered getting rid of it once the first summer was over.
View Quote

LOL,  I've got $5K worth of deck wrapped around an $800 pool.

OP, I'd knock out a big enough section of the fence to get a bobcat in for the leveling and let a dump truck in to dump sand.  Rebuilding 8' of fence is easy.  Leveling ground and wheelbarrowing sand is hard.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:27:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I dunno, but when youre done I bet you can make some badass crop circles!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  LOL,  I've got $5K worth of deck wrapped around an $800 pool.

OP, I'd knock out a big enough section of the fence to get a bobcat in for the leveling and let a dump truck in to dump sand.  Rebuilding 8' of fence is easy.  Leveling ground and wheelbarrowing sand is hard.
View Quote

No kidding.  I've figured out how to unbolt a section of fence where they can @ least dump the sand.  I'm not going to get the whole 10 cubic yards I'm paying for, don't need that much.  But I have to dig a great deal more now that I have to shift the site of the pool, and I've got to doublecheck where the sewer & water lines run.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, sewer & water run out the front, so only the gas line and the retaining wall are the issues in the back, other than the slope.  So, how far off the gas line and concrete retaining wall do I need to be?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok, ordered 5 cubic yards of sand today.  Whatever's left after the base will go around to reinforce the sides.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I didn't read the thread but the best way to level the ground is with a skid loader.  You asked.
View Quote

And if you'd read the thread you would've read my post that detailed why you couldn't get one in the backyard.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Let your wife do it
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  Let your wife do it
View Quote

I'm using the shovel, not marrying it!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#42]
With some minor shovel work I would bet you could get by with one inch of sand at half the price and sweat, excluding delivery. With a few lumps you said would be OK..

ETA: Did you order a load to shovel/wheelbarrow from he street or bags since the gate is narrow?

ETA: again. good call on dumping close as you can.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  With some minor shovel work I would bet you could get by with one inch of sand at half the price and sweat, excluding delivery. With a few lumps you said would be OK..

ETA: Did you order a load to shovel/wheelbarrow from he street or bags since the gate is narrow?

ETA: again. good call on dumping close as you can.  
View Quote

I can take out a 66.5" section of fence, so most of the sand is landing outside the retaining wall, and then has to be shoveled over.  

The price of sand is the same for 1 cubic yard or 10, so I went w/ 5.  Any extra sand left over from leveling will go around the walls of the pool for reinforcement.  We're on a pretty nasty slope for this project.  Some folks are supposed to come over & help this weekend.  At least we're no longer on top of the gas line.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

it's 42,000 pounds distributed over (8^2) x pi square feet.

that's only about 200 lbs per sq ft -- not much in the scheme of compacted soil load bearing capacity, which is nominally about 2000 lbs per sq ft.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

that's only about 200 lbs per sq ft -- not much in the scheme of compacted soil load bearing capacity, which is nominally about 2000 lbs per sq ft.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

ar-jedi

That.

OP, you put more weight(psi) on the ground when you're standing in the yard.  21 tons is a little under 1.5psi.  The gas company would probably tell you, you are ok as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#46]
I really want to see this pool if it ever gets put up
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  I really want to see this pool if it ever gets put up
View Quote

So does my landlady.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Dump the sand on two sheets of cheap osb.  It will be much easier to use the transfer shovel that way.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That.

OP, you put more weight on the ground when you're standing in the yard.  21 tons is a little under 1.5psi.  The gas company would probably tell you, you are ok as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  So while speaking to the sand delivery company - w/ a minimum 10 cubic yard order - 13 tons - I went round to the back fence where I was going to have them dump it and discovered that's where the gas meter is.  Where I leveled the ground is right on top of the gas line.    So, I'll be filling in that area of the lawn, and finding a new spot that won't get me fined when I put 21 tons of water on top.  A less level spot, which requires more digging.  Let's call it my Gallipoli reenactment.  

ar-jedi

ar-jedi

That.

OP, you put more weight on the ground when you're standing in the yard.  21 tons is a little under 1.5psi.  The gas company would probably tell you, you are ok as well.

Now that I've already filled in the 16' diameter hole over the gas line, now you tell me?    We'll try setting up a few feet over from the gas line - just doesn't seem to be a good idea.  Will hopefully have a few folks to help shovel this weekend.  And this time I have stakes & yarn.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  Dump the sand on two sheets of cheap osb.  It will be much easier to use the transfer shovel that way.
View Quote

OSB?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top