Page / 4
Posted: 7/23/2014 3:10:30 PM EDT
http://m.ocregister.com/articles/stauffer-629625-police-officers.html

Two cops ended up in the ER.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the bit about "mental health should not be a law enforcement issue"? That wasn't in the article.

Are you saying the police shouldn't have been called?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the bit about "mental health should not be a law enforcement issue"? That wasn't in the article.

View Quote

Medical personnel with sedating drugs are a safer solution than cops with guns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell that to all the states who keep giving LE pretty much the dominant role in dealing with them when in crisis.  Its kinda like the hot potato, nobody wants to end up with it in their hands.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.

I especially dislike when the emergency room or "mental health expert" calls us because they can't control or reason with a subject and then complain that we used force to defuse a situation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe true, but when the patient commits crimes then it because a law enforcement issue.

If some crazy attacks me or damages my property I don't care why he did it, I would just want the criminal dealt with and prosecuted.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tell that to all the states who keep giving LE pretty much the dominant role in dealing with them when in crisis.  Its kinda like the hot potato, nobody wants to end up with it in their hands.
View Quote

This.  C.i.t. training has become mandatory on quite a few departments.   Even medical staff are telling families of ed p's to ask for c.i.t. trained officers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
There may be a legal and procedural reason health care workers call the police.  Just because someone suffers from a mental illness doesn't mean they are exempt from laws.  Also, ask any psychiatrist, psychologist, or psych nurse how many times they've been attacked.  Ho-hum...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]
That is unfortunate for both the LE and the schizo. He was obviously going through an episode, and he willfully confined himself into "his own room". They should have just let him chill for 30 min to cool off, then taken him in.

Im sure the cops were fucking pumped before kicking down the door to "defuse" the situation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Over ten thousand posts and you don't know how to hot link?

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/stauffer-629625-police-officers.html

View Quote

OP getting schooled by O_P
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what happens when people take LE from solving crimes and catching bad guys to being an around the clock security service and adult daycare.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Violence is violence and officers are supposed to be trained to diffuse situations with the least amount of force necessary.  Having been a paramedic for 8 years and then working in an ER for the last 15 years I can tell you that a police presence is necessary to safely deal with many mental health patients.  Mental health patients can be some of the most violent we deal with.

Paramedics and nurses do not have the training or tools to take down a violent mental health patient.  This is a big part of my job every day.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've dealt with EMTs who told me to arrest EPDs (Emotionally Disturbed Persons), even though no crime has been committed.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, so, how do they give drugs to the unrestrained violent person?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Than why did the Medical personal at  "Nancy’s Guest Village", a care facility in the 13900 block of Clinton Street, [call police] in response to a report of a schizophrenic patient who was not taking his medication?

The OPs statement goes against what the medical personal did to handle the patient.

/just saying

I am not in the medical or LEO field and will now take a backseat with some popcorn.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly right.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you call 911, everyone is invited to the party.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree.....leave it in the Democratic political arena.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Mental health should definitely be a law enforcement issue outside of a hospital.

Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I would also add that in my experience, the majority of "mental health patients" have drugs or alcohol on board when they interact with the "system".  There is often no easy way to differentiate a manic or violent schizophrenic from someone high on meth or bath salts as often both are contributing to their behavior.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those patients have to be transported to a mental health hospital for inpatient stabilization by police. A paranoid schizophrenic usually doesn't decide to go there on their own accord.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm waiting to hear his response, in which I'm sure he has thoughtfully figured out a great way to do this!

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#24]
If this works out then we can get Domestic Counselors to go to domestic calls. Hey, I see a good pattern going.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#25]
State governments have cut funding to mental health services in order to balance their financial books.

Jails have become the new mental institution.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#26]
No one ever wants to deal with them so we get called and take them to the hospital who in turn do absolutely nothing and kick them to the curb after a few hours. The cycle repeats.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No one ever wants to deal with them so we get called and take them to the hospital who in turn do absolutely nothing and kick them to the curb after a few hours. The cycle repeats.
View Quote

What would you have hospital staff do?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are mentally disturbed individuals just going to hold their arm out and allow themselves to be injected, or do you think EMTs should go hands on as well?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Those patients have to be transported to a mental health hospital for inpatient stabilization by police. A paranoid schizophrenic usually doesn't decide to go there on their own accord.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tranquilizer him and transport him via ambulance. Not the back seat of a cop car. Of course that would require waking up the doctor to order the meds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.

I especially dislike when the emergency room or "mental health expert" calls us because they can't control or reason with a subject and then complain that we used force to defuse a situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.

Maybe we should take dbrowne1' s advice and..

Not go?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#31]
We have a EDP that used to live in our city. Always had suicidal thoughts, usually combative. Just looking into this man's eyes you can tell something is not right. This same guy has fought with police on several occasions during his suicidal incidents. One of the last times, he was trying to get an officers weapon.

Fast forward a few years, he calls 911 because he is feeling suicidal. Paramedics will not go in until we deem the situation "safe", and having dealt with this man on numerous occasions, paramedics made it a point to wait. We arrive and he is hiding in the bathroom, sitting in the tub naked. As soon as he sees us, he starts ripping into his arm with a razor. He ripped his wrist open all while being hit with a pepper ball gun (6 shots total in the chest, breathing it in like nothing is there) and being tasered 17 times *the top half of him only, because he was inside the tub*.

Each time fighting through everything, at times using his fingers to reach inside the wound and pull on whatever he can get. When he lost the razor, he began using his teeth and spitting whatever he had in his mouth over everyone there.

Oh yea, if we got close the guy would swing the razor around so he wasn't just suicidal.

This was one of our more extreme ones, and had similar runs with others that were met with extreme violence. I can tell you, medical staff want nothing to do with it and LE is stuck dealing with it. He is a poster boy of why EDP's cannot be left alone, you never know what they are capable of doing.

Just my experience... Take it for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a public safety issue many times, so why shouldn't we be called?

Quoted:

View Quote

Ah, no.
Even when we have EMS transport, we are either in the rig with them or following the rig to the ER

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What would you have hospital staff do?
View Quote

Here in NY the law gives ER staff 72 hrs to do an eval.
So DO a 72 hr eval, not a 2 hr evail and kick them loose.
If you need more bed space to be able to hold someone that long, build the beds you typically will need for the area population and that length of detention
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect that if the medical people thought they could sedate the patient, they would.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
State governments have cut funding to mental health services in order to balance their financial books.

View Quote

Liberal minded individuals also view any form of hospitalization as a violation of their human rights.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing new about it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Tranquilizer him and transport him via ambulance. Not the back seat of a cop car. Of course that would require waking up the doctor to order the meds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think the docs have trank guns?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My brother is schizophrenic and it has taken 5 fucking people including 3 police officers and two male hospital staff to restrain him when they took him in to admit him in the ER. Earlier  that day it took 5 police officers and ALL of their OC spray to get him in cuffs. Until you've dealt with trying to restrain or get a psychotic person to go to the hospital you have no idea....Usually when it gets to that point they are so delusional they really believe everyone is trying to kill them or something close to it. Imagine how hard you're going to fight if you truly believe everyone around you is trying to kill you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So..... how do the medics hold him still long enough to stick him with a needle in a safe spot.... and then hold him still for the next few minutes til the drug takes effect?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course not. But it's a hell of a lot easier to give him an intramuscular sedative than it is to wrestle him into cuffs. Safer for the patient to. I've seen both done plenty and no question in my opinion as to which is less likely to injure the patient
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#40]

again, how do the medics hold the person still long enough to stick him? cause i have yet to see a psych pt that wants to be stuck with a needle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Of course not. But it's a hell of a lot easier to give him an intramuscular sedative than it is to wrestle him into cuffs. Safer for the patient to. I've seen both done plenty and no question in my opinion as to which is less likely to injure the patient
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you give an IM injection to a person who is actively fighting? Like in the movies where one guy stands by with the needle while others wrestle him?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My brother is schizophrenic and it has taken 5 fucking people including 3 police officers and two male hospital staff to restrain him when they took him in to admit him in the ER. Earlier  that day it took 5 police officers and ALL of their OC spray to get him in cuffs. Until you've dealt with trying to restrain or get a psychotic person to go to the hospital you have no idea....Usually when it gets to that point they are so delusional they really believe everyone is trying to kill them or something close to it. Imagine how hard you're going to fight if you truly believe everyone around you is trying to kill you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In this instance the patient was already in a care facility. They chose to call the cops rather than their staff doctor. I think that's the wrong call in those situations.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have no fucking clue what you are talking about, but that was pretty clear at the beginning of the thread.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How do you give an IM injection to a person who is actively fighting? Like in the movies where one guy stands by with the needle while others wrestle him?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the terms infection control and antiseptic procedure not apply with crazy people? cause that is a good way to stick the wrong person with a needle, or even worse.... get your dirty needle wrestled away from you and now give the guy a weapon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'll have to wrestle with him to stick him
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

again, how do the medics hold the person still long enough to stick him? cause i have yet to see a psych pt that wants to be stuck with a needle.
View Quote

I'm talking about in a hospital or other care facility, not on the street. Such facilities should have bough security and restraints to sedate a patient that needs it. It's not that hard to hold someone down long enough to jab a needle in his thigh or upper arm.  Fighting him into cuffs is much more dangerous to all involved.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This.  C.i.t. training has become mandatory on quite a few departments.   Even medical staff are telling families of ed p's to ask for c.i.t. trained officers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gets one better.  Mental health "professionals" are telling families to call the PD to handle stuff so they don't have to bother with finding a facility or becoming involved.  Happens all the time, just yesterday in fact.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'm talking about in a hospital or other care facility, not on the street. Such facilities should have bough security and restraints to sedate a patient that needs it. It's not that hard to hold someone down long enough to jab a needle in his thigh or upper arm.  Fighting him into cuffs is much more dangerous to all involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, yes it is.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I give you a syringe and a pair of handcuffs which is easier to apply?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You've discredited your opinion.
People are posting examples of guys who had to be held down by multiple officers.
The same number would be needed in order to stick a needle in the guy
Ambulance rigs with two people, one of whom is often a female, often times in my rural areas they're 60+ years of age volunteers...are NOT going to do any hands-on stuff like you describe

Quoted:

If I give you a syringe and a pair of handcuffs which is easier to apply?

See above
I'm not sticking anyone, and the EMTs wont be sticking anyone who is unsecured and resistive
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top