A FOURTEEN PAGE Masters thesis?

View Quote

My bachelors thesis was over 120 pages
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
in before Sylvan
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Not only was it 14 pages and plagiarized, it was written at the level of a high school student. I can't believe they dredged this shitbag up to be lieutenant governor let alone appoint his ass to the senate.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean politicians are uniformly walking talking shit stains?

Ohr Mher Gherd.

Ohr Mher Gherd.
View Quote
I say.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
At the Sergeants Major Academy, they use a program to check for these types of things.  I wonder how this wasn't caught.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not like he lied about being a Cherokee Indian to get a job he wasn't qualified for.  

And what were Obama's LSAT scores again?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lol, the introduction to my PhD thesis was longer than that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, the introduction to my PhD thesis was longer than that.

I honestly think the first section of the first chapter was easily 14 pages.. Had 7 chapters with multiple sections in each chapter
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes, it's an accredited masters.

Yes, it's a short "thesis."

No, it's (by intention) not designed to be on par with  a full-blown research project like at a "real" university.  It scratches the itch of a "final project" required by accreditation standards, and gives the student the check in the box for "continuing education" needed for promotion, while they're doing the already double-time job of being a Lt Col in the US military.  (Most of the AWC students are at this point battalion commanders or hip-deep in their Pentagon jobs).  

Two other observations:  

- Who takes the time to find and check a meaningless AWC paper from 7 years ago for plagiarism? Someone with an ax to grind.(Their regs are written like the Air Force's, they can go back and pull his degree for academic integrity issues.  That'd be funny.)

- The PTSD excuse is bullshit.  

View Quote
Opposition research, aka politics.

Somebody who knew talked to an opposition researcher.  Election is coming up and this guy is going to have to run for the seat he was appointed to.

He didn't get this scrutiny last time because there was no election.

Could even be a democrat that wants him pulled so he/she can be on the ticket, a la BHO running unopposed as a state senator by knocking his opponent out via suit.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No, it's (by intention) not designed to be on par with  a full-blown research project like at a "real" university.  It scratches the itch of a "final project" required by accreditation standards, and gives the student the check in the box for "continuing education" needed for promotion, while they're doing the already double-time job of being a Lt Col in the US military.  (Most of the AWC students are at this point battalion commanders or hip-deep in their Pentagon jobs).  

Two other observations:  

- Who takes the time to find and check a meaningless AWC paper from 7 years ago for plagiarism? Someone with an ax to grind.(Their regs are written like the Air Force's, they can go back and pull his degree for academic integrity issues.  That'd be funny.)

View Quote
If the degree is accredited, the standard should be the same. 14 pages is laughable. I wrote multiple papers for my Bachelor's that were long. If 14 page thesis papers are acceptable, then the degree shouldn't be accredited.

Further, what does it matter why he got caught. Cheating is cheating.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Two other observations:  

View Quote

Short, fine. What would you do with a cadet who plagiarized a short project for an AS class?

I'd at least say it stopped being meaningless the moment he plagiarized it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

lol

That is mind-bogglingly pathetic.  

To cheat on a 14-page "thesis" means that you are either lazier than a three-toed sloth, or dumber than a box of rocks - or both.  

and Army War College ... I am disappoint.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

To cheat on a 14-page "thesis" means that you are either lazier than a three-toed sloth, or dumber than a box of rocks - or both.  

PTSD, bud.

Why do you hate veterans?  Are you even a citizen?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Please tell me it was double spaced too.

Now that I bothered to click, 1.5.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
PTSD, bud.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

PTSD, bud.

It says a lot that he went running straight to that as square 1 of his defense.

It's the special snowflake veteran equivalent of "it's because I'm black."

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Ouch.  The crack of doom, has just "cracked".
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Two other observations:  

View Quote
I won't be happy until the election is over and Daines  is the winner, but Max Baucus quit early so John Walsh could use Max's war chest and  could claim to be the incumbent and would be a shoe in, Daines already has a good lead without this so it makes one smile a bit.

Question for you limaxray, would you think his rank could go also?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

What the hell?  My intro was longer than that.  Maybe they left off a zero.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

PTSD, bud.

Oh, so now this is about Black people, huh? Only a Black person would do that, right?  

You hate veterans AND black people. That's fucked up, man.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would be "opposition research."  A thoroughly disreputable, albeit eminently necessary component of a modern political campaign.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Oh, so now this is about Black people, huh? Only a Black person would do that, right?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PTSD, bud.

I also have been known to rage stomp kittens and floppy eared bunnies when I have a bad day.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I am shocked...SHOCKED...that a politician lied to get to where they are...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Short, fine. What would you do with a cadet who plagiarized a short project for an AS class?

I'd at least say it stopped being meaningless the moment he plagiarized it.
View Quote

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I'd fry him in a heartbeat.  I'm a distance learning instructor at an Air Force PME school, we blast plagiarists all the time.  Catching and cooking a cheater is actually fun for me; it's open season all year long and no bag limit.  

There's no room in my military for someone who doesn't have the integrity and discipline to do their own work on a freakin' 14 page paper.  Especially if he did it in residence, he's a full-time student getting O5 pay to write 14 pages.  No excuse.  NONE.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's why I'm saying he must already have been a GO when he went through.  Nobody would call him on it.

ETA went back and read it. he was a COL. WTF.  How did that shit fly I wonder?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

That's why I'm saying he must already have been a GO when he went through.  Nobody would call him on it.

ETA went back and read it. he was a COL. WTF.  How did that shit fly I wonder?

He had to have been on someone's "pass no matter what list".  My brother and a friend have graduated in the last 6 or 7 years.  Gonna have to ask them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I won't be happy until the election is over and Daines  is the winner, but Max Baucus quit early so John Walsh could use Max's war chest and  could claim to be the incumbent and would be a shoe in, Daines already has a good lead without this so it makes one smile a bit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two other observations:  

Like demote him? Probably not over this.  Though maybe, there've been just a couple of cheating scandals lately, especially out of Montana.  

He's already retired.  They'd have to call him back to active duty and court-martial him to demote him.  Don't really see that happening.

Though...the USAF has an administrative process where, when someone gets discharged, their records are reviewed to determine their last honorable service.  In this case, it would be 05, not 07.  They may downgrade his retired rank to Lt Col.  Don't see it happening, but there is a mechanism for it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nobody considers the various military school degrees, even including the War College, real degrees for that exact reason.  They check the block for the degree in mil circles, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That would be "opposition research."  A thoroughly disreputable, albeit eminently necessary component of a modern political campaign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I'm not naive.  That was more a golf clap; I admire the dedication the opposition went to to find dirt.  Checking a 7yo paper for plagiarism?  Props to them.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I also have been known to rage stomp kittens and floppy eared bunnies when I have a bad day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PTSD, bud.

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#30]
So is this going to call into question this professor or adviser's credibility (or the whole course) that such an obviously plagiarized paper passed without review?  Investigation inbound I suspect.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Like demote him? Probably not over this.  Though maybe, there've been just a couple of cheating scandals lately, especially out of Montana.  

He's already retired.  They'd have to call him back to active duty and court-martial him to demote him.  Don't really see that happening.

Though...the USAF has an administrative process where, when someone gets discharged, their records are reviewed to determine their last honorable service.  In this case, it would be 05, not 07.  They may downgrade his retired rank to Lt Col.  Don't see it happening, but there is a mechanism for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two other observations:  

I suppose you are referring to the good old 341th, I'm glad I've been out long enough that I can say that would never happened back in my day, but then again I was a NCO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Theoretically, (I think) if he was on active duty orders at the time, he could be recalled to face charges.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does this expose him to any sort of military prosecution or discipline?

The War College may strip him of the degree.
Theoretically, (I think) if he was on active duty orders at the time, he could be recalled to face charges.

10 U.S. Code § 12301 says yes.....depending on the circumstances, it is possible.

"Retirement" is not an option for Officers....if there is a need or special reason, you can/will get orders.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Didn't Martin Luther King Jr. plagiarize the majority of his theses as well?

Worked out for him...
View Quote

The difference is that revelation didn't come out until long after he was dead.

Poor Senator Walsh is going to have to answer questions about this every day for the next three months.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

I wouldn't be surprised if he had someone write it for him.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PTSD, bud.

Keeps me warm.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PTSD, bud.

Keeps me warm.

WTH just happened?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haaaa!!  I wrote much longer papers in high school!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I wrote a longer term paper on weathering-type steels  for a materials property class.

this guy's a piece of work.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll just say that there are automated tools for checking for plagiarism now that make it much easier.  So someone didn't necessarily put a lot of time into it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Two other observations:  

View Quote

This was my experience as a civilian student at the Naval War College.  My papers for each trimester were in the 20-25 range.  An O-6 got busted just before I got there.  I remember one paper I wrote about civilans manning warships and, when I was almost complete, I found another paper with an almost identical topic that overlapped my own.  In talking with my advisor, I went back and rewrote my paper and tore the other paper's arguments apart to distinguish my paper from the other clearly and distictly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fuck?  I got a cheesey ass BA in history.  Term papers were generally 12-15 and one was a 25 page min.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine was 72 pages. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#44]
After visiting MT recently, I find it hard to believe this clown will be around much longer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#45]
14 page thesis? Shit. I just finished a 53 page functional specification.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The fuck?  I got a cheesey ass BA in history.  Term papers were generally 12-15 and one was a 25 page min.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Term appears were 12-15. Some classes had monthly papers in the 9 page range. My junior and senior papers were 18 pages before the appendix and citations

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'll just say that there are automated tools for checking for plagiarism now that make it much easier.  So someone didn't necessarily put a lot of time into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm an instructor at an Air Force PME school.  We've caught more than our fair share using those systems.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
From the Add Insult to Injury column: now's he blaming PTSD for causing him to steal the work of others.
View Quote

You have got to be fucking kidding me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the Add Insult to Injury column: now's he blaming PTSD for causing him to steal the work of others.

One officer in my NWC class tapped out for stress.  I don't get it.  I found my time there a relaxing and interesting break from my normal job.  Evidently, he decided he couldn't handle it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top