Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Btw Colorado and Oregon aren't even close...what did they do to piss you off?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vacation policy: Continental US, I drive
No: NY, DC, or valet parking (if they have valet parking, it is too expensive for me)
Dogs go with us on trips; I boarded them once and will not do it again.
My policy has been in effect and followed for 26+ years.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The world is scawwwy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The world is scawwwy.
View Quote

Hic sunt dracones.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hic sunt dracones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The world is scawwwy.

Hic sunt dracones.

Not gonna lie, I had to google that one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The world is scawwwy.

Hic sunt dracones.

Sigh.

Didn't you learn anything in school?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sigh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The world is scawwwy.

Hic sunt dracones.

Sigh.

Espanol es mas importante que Latin.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get both. Understanding a minimum of Latin is beneficial for learning any Romance language.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
My dislike of flying will keep me from seeing places more than not being able to carry...
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Michigan wasn't a shall-issue state until 2001.

What did you do before then?
View Quote

In 2001 I was only 17.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wouldn't go somewhere where I wouldn't be able to defend myself.

But a gun isn't the only way to defend yourself.

An unarmed person with common sense, confidence, and situational awareness is safer than an armed person with no common sense, no confidence, and no situational awareness.  IMO you're placing too much importance on the tool rather than the person.
View Quote

An armed person with common sense, confidence, and situational awareness is safer than an unarmed person with common sense, confidence, and situational awareness.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

An armed person with common sense, confidence, and situational awareness is safer than an unarmed person with common sense, confidence, and situational awareness.
View Quote

There's other defensive tools you know.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, but are they anywhere near as effective as a gun?  I will take a gun over a melee weapon, or glorified hot sauce any day.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
This is one of the reasons I don't fly unless I absolutely have to.  With my Utah permit I can carry in most states while driving.

Except in Nevada....  
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sure, but are they anywhere near as effective as a gun?  I will take a gun over a melee weapon, or glorified hot sauce any day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and no.  With the right training a knife, flashlight, hell even a Sharpie can be effective.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Get both. Understanding a minimum of Latin is beneficial for learning any Romance language.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried to convince my daughter to take a year of Latin in high school, and used that argument.  She took two years of French and a half year of Chinese in high school.  Now she wants to take Japanese, but I don't know if it's offered at her college.

I took two years of Spanish in high school (Spanish and French were the only options, then).
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/young-kiwi/84078-Bernard-Baruch-quote-if-all-yo-oKNT_zps3e39ba4e.png

I would rather take the WHOLE toolbox, not leave the hammer at home.  I have a very fancy screw driver, but it's next to useless against nails.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I doubt I'm doing any traveling outside this country anymore...just not safe enough in my opinion.

When I travel around the US (and I'll be doing a lot of that in the years to come), I'll be armed.  Laws or no laws.  Until the day comes that the gov't is willing to supply me with a bodyguard, free of charge, I'll take it upon myself to provide my own protection.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would rather take the WHOLE toolbox, not leave the hammer at home.  I have a very fancy screw driver, but it's next to useless against nails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/young-kiwi/84078-Bernard-Baruch-quote-if-all-yo-oKNT_zps3e39ba4e.png

That's what you don't seem to get.  You don't have the whole toolbox.  You have one tool.  And you have fetishized it, and you now allow it to dictate your life.  Yet, you've trumped it up as a ridiculous type of self-righteousness.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Good for you OP!

That'll show the world!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#22]
If that is your opinion, please just stay in your tar paper shack in the backwoods and keep putting up tinfoil.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#23]

OP, which one of is in this picture?

The tard about to make love to his Mosin Nagant, the bearded AK, super tard thumb, or the bearded depressed tard?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
..just not safe enough in my opinion.

View Quote

What is?

People shove their fat faces full of disgusting shit that will give them diabetes and/or a heart attack (which is much more likely to kill you) but traveling without a gun is too dangerous...

Some people really suck at risk assessments.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

[div style='font-size: 16px;']http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/abc_opencarrytexas_le_140625_16x9_992.jpg

The tard about to make love to his Mosin Nagant, the bearded AK, super tard thumb, or the bearded depressed tard?
View Quote

Look at that Private Pyle looking goober. All snuggled up to his rifle like a safety blanket.

He just needs to be sucking his thumb!

I spy a neck beard in there too!!

I also spy a few guys who need to buy proper fitting shorts. Nice Capri pants boys!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's what you don't seem to get.  You don't have the whole toolbox.  You have one tool.  And you have fetishized it, and you now allow it to dictate your life.  Yet, you've trumped it up as a ridiculous type of self-righteousness.
View Quote

Who says I don't have the rest of the toolbox?  That's what you don't get.  You think it's OK to take the screw driver, pliers, wrench, spanner, tape measure, and level, and leave the hammer behind, I do not.  What if I encounter a nail?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Who says I don't have the rest of the toolbox?  That's what you don't get.  You think it's OK to take the screw driver, pliers, wrench, spanner, tape measure, and level, and leave the hammer behind, I do not.  What if I encounter a nail?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cower in fear of the nail?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In 2001 I was only 17.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Michigan wasn't a shall-issue state until 2001.

What did you do before then?

In 2001 I was only 17.

What did your parents do? Did you feel unsafe?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

[div style='font-size: 16px;']http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/abc_opencarrytexas_le_140625_16x9_992.jpg

View Quote

None, I'm in this picture:

I have an AR15A2 slung across my back (not really visible), a Glock 22 (also open carried), spare magazines, a video camera, and a binder full of every gun law in the state of Michigan.  I organized that event, we had people come from as far away as Florida attend.  It was in Birmingham Michigan in protest of an illegal open carry arrest, and political prosecution of an 18 year old. (He was later acquitted of all charges by the way).  Long story short, the police, and the city did not like it, and arrested him anyway even though he broke no law, then tried to prosecute him on false charges to get him to plea so he couldn't sue.  In other words they did not believe the rule of law applied to them, and they could do whatever they wanted.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You never smashed a nail with a fuckin pipe wrench?

Might be ugly, but it'll get the job done.

You never responded earlier. Do you really think that seeing 28 states is traveling "extensively"?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You never responded earlier. Do you really think that seeing 28 states is traveling "extensively"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think so, I saw quite a bit on those trips, and that was all before I turned 18.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think so, I saw quite a bit on those trips, and that was all before I turned 18.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've never even left the country!
28 states is not traveling extensively. You literally know so little about it that you can't even comprehend what you are missing...the rest of the world is SO different. To think you've traveled extensively and haven't even left the States is ridiculously arrogant.

It last count I've been to ~40+ states and something like 14 countries or so (some just briefly). I've seen just enough to know that I haven't seen nearly enough, and that there's a LOT more to see.

28 states is laughable. My 7 year old has literally traveled more than you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TZ01UKX9kos/T9jEU1uL6sI/AAAAAAAABDc/5AvTgf-wDwA/s1600/courtesy-msnbc.msn_.com_.jpg

I have an AR15A2 slung across my back (not really visible), a Glock 22 (also open carried), spare magazines, a video camera, and a binder full of every gun law in the state of Michigan.  I organized that event, we had people come from as far away as Florida attend.  It was in Birmingham Michigan in protest of an illegal open carry arrest, and political prosecution of an 18 year old. (He was later acquitted of all charges by the way).  Long story short, the police, and the city did not like it, and arrested him anyway even though he broke no law, then tried to prosecute him on false charges to get him to plea so he couldn't sue.  In other words they did not believe the rule of law applied to them, and they could do whatever they wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TZ01UKX9kos/T9jEU1uL6sI/AAAAAAAABDc/5AvTgf-wDwA/s1600/courtesy-msnbc.msn_.com_.jpg

Yeah... you look well traveled alright...

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

28 states is not traveling extensively. You literally know so little about it that you can't even comprehend what you are missing...the rest of the world is SO different. To think you've traveled extensively and haven't even left the States is ridiculously arrogant.

It last count I've been to ~40+ states and something like 14 countries or so (some just briefly). I've seen just enough to know that I haven't seen nearly enough, and that there's a LOT more to see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dog Steve has literally traveled more...not only CONUS, but OCONUS as well.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He looks exactly like I pictured.

A wanna be hardass but too scared to go out and explore the world outside of his little cocoon. But he's full of excuses though
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i have to do a little math, but i think i have been in more than 28 countries...

traveled... 28 states.  lol.   my wife and i probably have 28 "let's go!" and "eyewitness" travel books for other countries.

stop digging.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Ok, serious question for SAC if he's still around and hasn't <click>ed me.

You say you refuse to compromise on safety. Ok, let's unpack that a bit.

You are far, far more likely to be injured in a vehicle related incident than in one that having a gun would help prevent. Maybe orders of magnitude more, hard to know exactly. So, given how much more probable that occurrence is, we look at what one can do to "refuse to compromise" on vehicle safety.

Drive a large heavy vehicle. Something on the order of a dump truck or semi (with no cargo obviously). Sure it gets 3 miles to the gallon and you can't park it most places, but we can't compromise! Next, we'll need to custom rig a roll cage, five point harness, and fire suppression system in it. And every time we drive, we'll wear a full nomex suit, neck brace, and helmet.

Now, that's what no compromise looks like for a far more relevant and probable to happen threat. Do you do that, or do you compromise? How much? Regular car, but it has a roll cage and five point? You wear a nomex suit and helmet but no neck brace?

If you knew someone who refused to ride in any car unless it had a roll cage and five points, would that be reasonable? If that same person refused to ride in any car without a full nomex suit and helmet, would that be reasonable? What do you think the perception would be of someone who took those steps?

Why is it ok to compromise on the far more likely threat, but not on a much lower probability one?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You are far, far more likely to be injured in a vehicle related incident than in one that having a gun would help prevent. Maybe orders of magnitude more, hard to know exactly. So, given how much more probable that occurrence is, we look at what one can do to "refuse to compromise" on vehicle safety.

Drive a large heavy vehicle. Something on the order of a dump truck or semi (with no cargo obviously). Sure it gets 3 miles to the gallon and you can't park it most places, but we can't compromise! Next, we'll need to custom rig a roll cage, five point harness, and fire suppression system in it. And every time we drive, we'll wear a full nomex suit, neck brace, and helmet.

Now, that's what no compromise looks like for a far more relevant and probable to happen threat. Do you do that, or do you compromise? How much? Regular car, but it has a roll cage and five point? You wear a nomex suit and helmet but no neck brace?

If you knew someone who refused to ride in any car unless it had a roll cage and five points, would that be reasonable? If that same person refused to ride in any car without a full nomex suit and helmet, would that be reasonable? What do you think the perception would be of someone who took those steps?

Why is it ok to compromise on the far more likely threat, but not on a much lower probability one?
View Quote

*crickets*
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#40]
I can't believe I survived a week at the beach and a Kentucky to Florida round trip drive, unarmed!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I did enough traveling in the service.  If I can't take/carry a pistol where I want to go, then that city/place doesn't need my hard earned dollars.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

*crickets*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*crickets*

Given OP's posting history, I should probably just bookmark that post to quote the next time he spins up this exact same thread.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Given OP's posting history, I should probably just bookmark that post to quote the next time he spins up this exact same thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*crickets*

I think that would be a wise choice.

Like I said before, some people are really bad at risk assessments.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the same kind of brainless hyperbole an anti would use to attack someone who wants to carry AT ALL, think about that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's the same kind of brainless hyperbole an anti would use to attack someone who wants to carry AT ALL, think about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's neither brainless nor hyperbole. Being the victim of a violent crime is static tidally a far lower threat. No compromise at all for the less likely is ok, but no compromise for the far more likely scenario is just dismissed?

Answer the question. Why is compromise ok for your safety sometimes but not others?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on.  You can't even come up with a legitimate answer?  

You are risk adverse.  You are significantly more likely to be injured in a car accident than in a situation in which a gun would help.  What steps do you take to protect yourself in a car?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BULLSHIT.

It's not hyperbole at all, it's the natural progression of your stance. You are MUCH more likely to die in a car accident, yet you are more willing to compromise there than you are about carrying a gun.

It's the same issue- personal safety, and what you are willing to compromise to achieve it. So far we've learned that you won't compromise AT ALL when it comes to carrying a gun, even to the detriment of living life and exploring the world. What about the much more likely scenario of a car wreck? Are you as uncompromising when it comes to vehicle safety?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#49]
OP- I apologize if I seem "short" with you.

I guess after a few years in the Marines I honestly have a hard time respecting people that are so absolutely adverse to taking any risk.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Maybe I'm just an ignorant civilian, but refusing to travel somewhere because you cannot carry a firearm seems to be strange and extremely limiting.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top