BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP was most likely one of those kids who refused to do anything without his security blankie, and now that he's an adult he's transferred that mentality to a gun. It really is, no joking no snark, very sad.
View Quote

Scary thing is, the majority of voters agree with OP.

ETA:  Voters in this poll...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I also would not travel to Detroit.  The last time I was there was because I was forced off of the freeway, it is a world of burned, [/b]blast damaged buildings[/b], razor wire, and debris.
View Quote

RPGs and IEDs and JDAMs n shit!  

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

she has lead weights sewn in her scarf to beat people with.

View Quote

Nice. That's an old Navy trick.

Roll of coins works, too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Common sense/street smarts beats a gun 99% of the time, whether it be Mogadishu or Kansas.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP was most likely one of those kids who refused to do anything without his security blankie, and now that he's an adult he's transferred that mentality to a gun. It really is, no joking no snark, very sad.

The majority of voters refuse to travel anywhere they can't carry a gun? Man, I wish...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't travel to anti-gun states.

I just don't.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wonder how many people who say they would never travel without a gun are grossly obese, untrained, carry a pocket 380 they could never get out in a fight etc?
View Quote

Everyone in GD is 6'2" 225 lbs of pure muscle, developed from carrying their fat wallet and hoisting all of the supermodels they're dating onto their yard long penis.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The majority of voters refuse to travel anywhere they can't carry a gun? Man, I wish...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Voters in the poll...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I just don't.
View Quote

Honest question: what's the cut off for "anti gun?" WA has conceal carry, great self defense laws, suppressors, and SBR's but no full auto or SBS. Are we an anti-gun state? Are any of the places that don't have Constitutional Carry anti-gun?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Voters in the poll...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Voters in the poll...

Ahhhh, poll has AIDS so I didn't vote.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also would not travel to Detroit.  The last time I was there was because I was forced off of the freeway, it is a world of burned, [/b]blast damaged buildings[/b], razor wire, and debris.

I don't know how else to describe it.  I was passing building that appeared to have been shelled.  Collapsed roofs, holes blown through walls, building debris strewn outward across the side walk, and street, and these were masonry buildings.  I don't know how else to describe it except blast damage.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless you're a blind, deaf and dumb quadriplegic, you aren't defenseless...unless you haven't taken it upon yourself to add unarmed defense and paying attention to your tool box.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a big beautiful world out there you guys are going to miss out on if you limit your world to reciprocity states. Ive been to between 50 and 60 countries and seen some remarkable wonders and stood in the footsteps of history. Not a whole lot of that within the bounds of the GA reciprocity map.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder how many people who say they would never travel without a gun are grossly obese, untrained, carry a pocket 380 they could never get out in a fight etc?
View Quote

Ive taken fox OC and ASP batons around the world. Ive had to ditch many of them too. Cheap insurance. I think you nailed it penguin, some people arent suited to experiencing the world. It is best to let them sit home and pretend it's because they can't carry.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't know how else to describe it.  I was passing building that appeared to have been shelled.  Collapsed roofs, holes blown through walls, building debris strewn outward across the side walk, and street, and these were masonry buildings.  I don't know how else to describe it except blast damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As crazy as the OP is, I will back him up on this.  I went to Detroit and got off course near Wayne State's campus (I think that's what it was) and it looked like a scene from The Road.  

There were buildings that could best be described as bombed out, with bums inside I shit you not kicking rubble back and forth.

No good reason to go back to Detroit, although the OP should like it given their mayor is apparently encouraging everyone to carry.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:12:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I traveled to Nicaragua I carried a steak knife that I got from my hotel. I explored some of the more seedy parts of town. You know what.... I enjoyed myself. Why did I carry a steak knife? Because I didn't have to worry about customs. Simply got it from my hotel and a five minute job with a wet stone and I had it good to go. If I came across the cops I could ditch it and not worry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your mind is the weapon... a gun, knife, rock, dildo, etc... is a tool. Don't rely solely on a gun for self defense. You lure yourself into a false sejse of security.

Ermahgerd! I have a J-Frame!!!! I can fight the world!

Yeah, that doesn't work very well for a mindset.

Mindset is a major component, but I would rather have the mind set, and a Glock, than the mind set, and a sharpened dildo.
When I traveled to Nicaragua I carried a steak knife that I got from my hotel. I explored some of the more seedy parts of town. You know what.... I enjoyed myself. Why did I carry a steak knife? Because I didn't have to worry about customs. Simply got it from my hotel and a five minute job with a wet stone and I had it good to go. If I came across the cops I could ditch it and not worry.

This man knows how to function in a non permissive environment. Adapt, overcome.

can we vote OP off the island before he eventually makes the news and brings shame upon the house of Arf?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#19]
"Compromise" is compromising one's life experiences out of an irrational attachment to a pacifier.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:59:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

OK, you use a pointy stick I'll use a gun, we'll see who wins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am playing dumb.

Yep. And there are other weapons besides firearms for defense.

OK, you use a pointy stick I'll use a gun, we'll see who wins.

I have used both and won. Comfort with a defense tool is what matters. Knowing what your capabilities are is essential.

Paranoia isn't a capability. That is a handicap. One may even call it a sickness.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:11:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep, I have traveled to places that did not allow a gun, or a lockblade knife, or a knife at all. It worked out OK.
Then again, I am not a weirdo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you know about battle damage since you don't travel to anti gun locations and pretty much everywhere overseas is a no go for your concealed carry criteria?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:23:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How would you know about battle damage since you don't travel to anti gun locations and pretty much everywhere overseas is a no go for your concealed carry criteria?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has a wild imagination, isn't that enough?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:29:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Paranoia isn't a capability. That is a handicap. One may even call it a sickness.
View Quote

Might need to adjust the sig line for this one...

Edit: Done.

I think the only thing worse than paranoia, is the belief that a handgun can protect you from most of the threats a man might face.  That's why I see it as a pacifier / security blanket for some people.  What should be a tool becomes a crutch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:30:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Honest question: what's the cut off for "anti gun?" WA has conceal carry, great self defense laws, suppressors, and SBR's but no full auto or SBS. Are we an anti-gun state? Are any of the places that don't have Constitutional Carry anti-gun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't.

Honest answer: Off the top of my head I won't travel to or through Kommiefornia, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Illinois, Hawaii or Washington, D.C.

If a state doesn't recognize my gun rights I have no reason to go there and open my wallet.

BTW: I never mentioned the State of Washington. I've visited there and I have no problem with the state or its gun laws.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:44:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I will never give up self defense...of course a gun isn't the only tool to defend oneself with.

I love travel. I love seeing the world. It would be a sad and miserable life to place limits on where I can go because I can't be armed with a gun 24/7. Yes, carrying is wise and I think we ought to be able to carry anywhere we want.

If I had restricted myself to places I can carry I would have never seen the Cliffs of Moher with my wife, or drank beer in Munich with my Marines. Fuck that, I refuse to live like that.

ETA- some of the GREATEST memories I have are of places where I couldn't carry. I'm so glad that I'm not so narrowminded as to miss out on those things.
View Quote

agreed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#28]
LOL! Carpenter and elevator guy yesterday on the job were informing me how Illinois and California were the only states you can't take your pistol to. New York is GTG.

Dumbshits.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:40:52 AM EDT
[#29]
OP is a sheepdog!

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:44:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
"T'AINT NO PLACE WORTH VISITING WHAT I CAN'T CARRY A GUN WITH ME."

http://i.imgur.com/4YwUiuI.jpg

What those of you sound like who say facepalm-y shit like that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:45:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a lot of Mall Ninjas and Keyboard Commandos on this forum, that explains the votes.

Maybe it best if the OP just stay in his basement, it is safer down there.

I didn't vote in this poll, it is pointless.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I can't believe I survived 2 weeks in Switzerland and Germany this spring without muh gun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:52:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I can't believe I survived 2 weeks in Switzerland and Germany this spring without muh gun.

View Quote

May your chains rest lightly upon you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:53:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I voted "Yes  When absolutely necessary."

But it rarely is. I don't get away much...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have occassional family obligations in New Jersey, so yes, I have to give up some of my options for self defense.
View Quote

Nah - you don't. Just sayin'
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
All of them?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I spent three weeks island hopping in the Caribbean earlier this year without my firearm. Visited twenty different islands by boat. Loved it and didn't feel threatened or in danger.

I was able to meet so many interesting folks, see places, and do things that can't be done in North Florida. Like hanging out with Dutch Cops and getting a tour of their Police HQ.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Most places I'm fine. I've got a brain and I know how to use it. Jamaica and Mexico are the only places I've gone I refused to travel unarmed.

The slide is always the hardest part to hide or ship. If you've got access to tooling and an imagination, a DB380 slide can be fashioned into a folding corkscrew/bottle opener without comprising the slide's integrity.

Also, these make it easier too...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There is a big beautiful world out there you guys are going to miss out on if you limit your world to reciprocity states.
View Quote

Frankly, the "I don't go anywhere I can't carry a gun" types always strike me as the type who weren't going anywhere in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Frankly, the "I don't go anywhere I can't carry a gun" types always strike me as the type who weren't going anywhere in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a big beautiful world out there you guys are going to miss out on if you limit your world to reciprocity states.

I think another arfcommer absolutely nailed that aspect / mentality in a thread some time ago - "making virtue out of necessity."
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:14:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Most places I'm fine. I've got a brain and I know how to use it. Jamaica and Mexico are the only places I've gone I refused to travel unarmed.

The slide is always the hardest part to hide or ship. If you've got access to tooling and an imagination, a DB380 slide can be fashioned into a folding corkscrew/bottle opener without comprising the slide's integrity.

Also, these make it easier too...
http://i.imgur.com/d7IhxbHl.jpg
View Quote

http://polycaseammo.com/products/

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Hope you never had a job or have to interview anywhere that'd require you to leave the country or go to a "hoplophobic" state.
Quoted:

Travel yes, cultures no, I like mine just fine, and not all cultures are created equal.  That's why I will not be visiting the third world, what's there to do besides soak in the goat fucking witch burning culture?
View Quote

As someone who has been to a 3rd world country,  with your attitude, I'm sure that the people of the "third world" will not miss having you in their midst.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was unarmed and almost murdered by Nessie in this pic. What was I thinking?!?!

Seriously though...drinking Scotch with my beautiful wife at Loch Ness? How could I miss that?!?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/226204_830778521218_2039651_n.jpg
View Quote

I am with you and I have a beautiful wife and we just did Mazatlan on foot and by cab for days and had zero trouble while drinking fine Tequila. I was concerned and kept my situational awareness. Concealed pistol would have been nice but Mexican jail sucks I hear. We survived and it was beautiful. I do not want to be a barnacle because I am afraid to go where I can't carry.

My father did say once though "you never really need a gun until you need one very badly". My concern is my father has been proven right on most things the longer I live.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:17:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I decided to not worry as much about a gun and get self defense training through martial arts.  I am focused on martial arts that use weapons, such as a stick.  Just a simple 30 inch long rattan stick.  Of course, all of the things you can do with a stick, you can do with a cane.  Where can you not get a cane, anywhere in the world?  Change the cane or stick for a knife and now it gets really interesting.

Are these better than a gun?  In close quarters I wouldn't want to fac e my instructor with a gun unless I shot him twice first, but overall no.  A gun would be better, but if you can't have a gun, or even a knife, at least you can equip yourself anywhere you go with a surprisingly versatile and extremely deadly weapon.  A cane.  Or just a simple stick.
View Quote

Doing the same here actually my whole family is training. ( I love seeing my 7yr old daughter be able to kick a full grown adult in the head if ever necessary) My choice to not visit states that don't allow carry is mostly I do not like to give them tax money that can be used to further their agenda. I know it sounds petty, but it makes me feel like I am doing something.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#45]
And I would not give up seeing some fantastic sights/sites because of an overdeveloped sense of paranoia. You can arm yourself to the teeth and be broadsided by a runaway dump truck. Hmmm, maybe you should give up driving on public streets, too.

I carry, but it's not some talisman that will absolutely keep me from harm. Life can be messy that way.

Do what you want, but later in life you may regret what you didn't do for some silly reason.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#46]
p.    
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
"Compromise" is compromising one's life experiences out of an irrational attachment to a pacifier.
View Quote

I'm applauding, right now. Well said.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Everyone in GD is 6'2" 225 lbs of pure muscle, developed from carrying their fat wallet and hoisting all of the supermodels they're dating onto their yard long penis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#49]
as much as i wish i could be that hard-nosed, i just can't. now, i have no desire to leave the US. i mean i do, but there's realistically more to see in this country than i could ever see in my lifetime. so, i will travel to places within the US that "don't allow" carrying for self defense. depending on my mode of travel i may or may not believe that concealed is concealed. let's leave it at that though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Liar.

We all know you were raped, robbed, and murdered on a daily basis.

How did that boot feel on your neck?

Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top