Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know collective bargaining agreements make it difficult but IMHO conforming to a height/weight and appearance standard should be a condition of continued employment when you sign on. Unless you can demonstrate a really fucking good legitimate medical concern or reason for why you are a fat body. That should go for fire depts and any other uniformed government agency in the public eye. There's no fucking excuse for this shit.

I will say I have NEVER seen a fat State Trooper in Washington, they must have some sort of appearance standard. Because all their guys around here are spit and polish. The surrounding agencies could learn a thing or two from them.
View Quote

If you think unions are bad try dealing with city administrations. For years we were not PERMITTED to exercise on duty at the fire department, even though the Ohio code REQUIRES it.

We finally made headway and got the local college to allow us to use their gym and have their sports medicine students assess us and provide personalized workout plans, FOR FREE.

After a few months the right person complained about seeing "big trucks" at the college and the safety service director cancelled the program without replacement.

The UNION has raised funds and gathered donations to convert a corner of the basement of the main station into a "gym", but the city administration refuses to examine the issue of fitness contractually.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Union
View Quote

"PSSST"  Only about one in three police depts  are unionized.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have seen corrections officers even bigger than that.

View Quote

Yep. It's been my experience that the higher the rank, the larger the gut.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LOL

I would hate to have that charge at me though.   That's a lot of momentum.
View Quote

I'm not sure it's able to charge.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you think unions are bad try dealing with city administrations. For years we were not PERMITTED to exercise on duty at the fire department, even though the Ohio code REQUIRES it.

We finally made headway and got the local college to allow us to use their gym and have their sports medicine students assess us and provide personalized workout plans, FOR FREE.

After a few months the right person complained about seeing "big trucks" at the college and the safety service director cancelled the program without replacement.

The UNION has raised funds and gathered donations to convert a corner of the basement of the main station into a "gym", but the city administration refuses to examine the issue of fitness contractually.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know collective bargaining agreements make it difficult but IMHO conforming to a height/weight and appearance standard should be a condition of continued employment when you sign on. Unless you can demonstrate a really fucking good legitimate medical concern or reason for why you are a fat body. That should go for fire depts and any other uniformed government agency in the public eye. There's no fucking excuse for this shit.

I will say I have NEVER seen a fat State Trooper in Washington, they must have some sort of appearance standard. Because all their guys around here are spit and polish. The surrounding agencies could learn a thing or two from them.

What you are saying (complaining about) is so foreign to me, we might as well be on different planets.  The fact that you feel entitled to work-out on the job speaks volumes about this county's failure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What you are saying (complaining about) is so foreign to me, we might as well be on different planets.  The fact that you feel entitled to work-out on the job speaks volumes about this county's failure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't think physical fitness is an important trait for firefighters? You realize we train at work frequently correct? Medical procedures, driving trucks, ladder and pump operations, rescue skills, building construction, street drills, firefighting tactics, haz-mat etc. etc. etc.

Maybe you could close the gap between us by explaining to me why working out to maintain your health and improve your strength and endurance is an unacceptable way to spend time between emergencies but spending 90 minutes walking through a new building to learn the layout, location of fire dept connections, alarm systems, sprinkler systems etc. is?

I'd honestly like to hear an explanation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

He is jealous.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you are saying is that you would rather your firefighters when not out on a call to just sit around and do nothing during their 24 hour shift?
Being in law enforcement, I have no great love for "the evidence eradication unit" but it seems to me that if they want to work out during down times is a win for everyone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We didn't have to worry about that. Tons of backup seconds away.
Haha.  
I see what you did there!

I worked a very long day yesterday and missed that. Well played sir, well played.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

Fall and roll uncontrollably.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You don't think physical fitness is an important trait for firefighters? You realize we train at work frequently correct? Medical procedures, driving trucks, ladder and pump operations, rescue skills, building construction, street drills, firefighting tactics, haz-mat etc. etc. etc.

Maybe you could close the gap between us by explaining to me why working out to maintain your health and improve your strength and endurance is an unacceptable way to spend time between emergencies but spending 90 minutes walking through a new building to learn the layout, location of fire dept connections, alarm systems, sprinkler systems etc. is?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't tell him that you sleep on duty. It would blow his mind.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
So... you'd drive over to the gym to workout?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Aren't there any fitness standards those people have to pass?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, but to put it into perspective since I know you're FDNY, the entire city is the first due area for the dept. 1 ladder, 1 engine 1 utility. All would respond to any fire so it wasn't like units were being drug out of their in service areas, the gym was actually very centrally located in the city and if you got a call while there you would just dash outside and put your turnouts on.

It was the complaints of a select few people that thought the fire dept should remain unseen unless called to an emergency that ended up getting the program cancelled.

It was really a shame because the exercise science students that did our assessments and helped as personal trainers loved it, they were so used to working with other college students they were thrilled to work with us. Firemen who were overweight and out of shape made huge gains in a few months and we had quarterly assessments with quantitative data to prove it, all at the expense of driving the rig a mile down the road.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#16]
MMMMMmmmmmm front butt.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#17]
All cops should be that fat, or fatter.

Think about it. Foot chases will become a thing of the past.

Hard to run away from a cop if you're caught in their gravitational pull.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

They fit in the uniform.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Believe me, cops that are fit, squared away, and good at their job hate them more than the public does!

I didn't, they made me look good.

Unless they are your district partners and you ever need their help...

Is that what you call your fat officers?

ETA: lol, covered.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yes, but to put it into perspective since I know you're FDNY, the entire city is the first due area for the dept. 1 ladder, 1 engine 1 utility. All would respond to any fire so it wasn't like units were being drug out of their in service areas, the gym was actually very centrally located in the city and if you got a call while there you would just dash outside and put your turnouts on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I wasn't implying that you were going out of your response area to work out. I was just wondering, when you went to the gym... what did the guys that didn't want to work out do?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Several years past, the police chief of O'Fallon, Missouri was essentially drummed out of the job for imposing and enforcing fitness standards on the city cops.

Poor things didn't like to prove they could run.

View Quote

Really?!?! Basically my back yard. That sucks.

My BIL is a firefighter. They're about the same as cops when it comes to personal fitness. I would think a firefighter would need to be in even better shape than a cop considering they might need to enter a burning building, with gear, oxygen tanks, possible multiple floors, etc. carry someone out.

Speaking of This same town, O'fallon ... A former cop I know there medically retired early with full pension and a disability rating for a "bad back ". He spends 3 weeks in Colorado bow hunting each September!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oh, I wasn't implying that you were going out of your response area to work out. I was just wondering, when you went to the gym... what did the guys that didn't want to work out do?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly almost everyone was very enthusiastic about the entire thing. 4 out of 5 people spent the time doing serious weightlifting, cardio or crossfit type stuff. The few older or less enthusiastic guys would just walk the 200 meter indoor track for an hour, shoot some hoops or half ass it on a bike, still better than nothing.

Only having two stations it was never a big deal to coordinate who went when and all that, we would tend to go as early as possible when there seemed to be less chance of a call and the college students that would normally be there were still in bed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not exactly a health weight but atleast I can tuck and fold everything to make me look presentable.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

It'd be like this:
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
God I'm old.  When I was a young you rarely saw people this obese.  Now it is common.

Seriously, if you were born in the last 25 years you would not believe how much thinner the public was on average 40+ years ago.

View Quote

I blame it on all you can eat buffets.and donut shops.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What gender is the one on the right?
View Quote

Looks female to me.

Edit: should have kept reading and not posting.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I have seen corrections officers even bigger than that. I went into a high security state prison and a bunch of the guards had to be 400#

View Quote

We used to have a female bicycle officer who had to be 200 pounds overweight.

edit the short one is a woman, did not guess that

I think CO's are worse, to be honest.  I don't see THAT many obese cops, but when I worked as a CO probably 1/3 were this size.

I hated being a first responder on shift, because I knew it was likely that if a signal was called I would be the guy getting there first, only by virtue of weighing less than 200#.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think CO's are worse, to be honest.  I don't see THAT many obese cops, but when I worked as a CO probably 1/3 were this size.

I hated being a first responder on shift, because I knew it was likely that if a signal was called I would be the guy getting there first, only by virtue of weighing less than 200#.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have seen corrections officers even bigger than that. I went into a high security state prison and a bunch of the guards had to be 400#

Not to mention the odds of being at the bottom of the pile when the lards finally arrive to help.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In many places, surely not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surely even for desk jobs there is some kind of performance requirement!

In many places, surely not.

it would have to be one big desk
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You don't grok the difference between "fitness" and "appearance" do you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait. Is this the same ARFCOM that bashes the Marine Corps for having appearance standards?

How dare you bash these LEOs! If they are capable of performing their duties in accordance with current standards, then who cares what bags of shit they look like?

Of course you are assuming that the LEOs in question are unable to perform their duties just from looking at and judging their appearance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Of course you are assuming that the LEOs in question are unable to perform their duties just from looking at and judging their appearance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait. Is this the same ARFCOM that bashes the Marine Corps for having appearance standards?

How dare you bash these LEOs! If they are capable of performing their duties in accordance with current standards, then who cares what bags of shit they look like?

When in uniform, you are expected to maintain a certain standard of appearance and professionalism---especially as an LEO that is typically in contact with the public.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. Regimented pt ahd fitness tests are too militaristic.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't need to be fit anyway, they only take reports.
Besides, I figured GD would rather have them look like that to save tax dollars. if they die young it's less pension money that gets paid out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't really address my point, but I'll play.

Do you think Officer Fatass can effectively do his duty?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Besides, I figured GD would rather have them look like that to save tax dollars. if they die young it's less pension money that gets paid out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GD wouldn't want them to have a pension anyway.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even better, they'll probably die before they reach retirement eligibility.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That is one hell of a gunt.

I bet her gynecologist needs a hydraulic speculum.
View Quote

I got as far as the word gynecologist, and I got the dry heaves.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't want the police going around making warrantless arrests for the original offense. A magnifying glass, detective, and a mighty "ah ha!" Are required to catch a burglar, not officer Semper fi.

Word.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Clearly not representative of the TBL..
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:03:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I like you: strategic thinking like a boss.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Believe me, cops that are fit, squared away, and good at their job hate them more than the public does!
View Quote

This.  Plus, creases have never gone out of style.  I'll bet that they don't polish their boots since they can't reach them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#45]
'Murica!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.  Plus, creases have never gone out of style.  I'll bet that they don't polish their boots since they can't reach them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will admit that my boots look horrible.  I tell my supervisors that these are a pair "working mans" boots (the carpet they walk on doesnt seem to be as hard on footwear as pounding the pavement)!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Has anyone found 530 Fatties on FB? I'm not seeing it. Looks like the page was nuked.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our union would fight tooth and nail to allow people to continue to look like shit in a uniform.

Tooth and nail.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#49]
When I was going through the boards for my local SO, I suggested they make the PT test harder and they responded that they used it as a first screening for promotions....don't want to get promoted? Eat till you explode - Ya, they hired me....my mouth tends to get me in trouble though.....
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#50]
If you went to Costco to buy a roast chicken, do you pick the big one for $4.99 or the little one for $4.99?    The big one of course. Why? Because you get more for your money.

Why doesn't Arfcom feel that way about their LEOs?  
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top