Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 3:01:55 PM EDT
Hey all, new to ARF, so take it easy on me here in GD.. I see what can be done here
I am going to be building my first rifle in 5.56. I currently have an AR in 308 but I did not build that rifle, this will be my first. I am not going to be finishing this right off, more or less over the next few months or so.
My goal is to have a relatively $$ friendly build that I can rely on for a shtf purpose if need be. Otherwise, this will be used for general range and courses..
This is what I have in mind so far..

PSA stripped lower
DD lower parts kit
BMC BCG and BCM gunfighter charging handle
I am looking for advice on the upper receiver. NOTE: my last purchase will be a Noveske barrel, if possible, because if the coin I will need to spend on it. If not, I will consider purchasing a bbl'd upper receiver with no BCG/CH.

So, any advice on an upper receiver would be greatly appreciated. Again, I would like this upper to be wallet friendly but I want to be able to trust this rifle with my life.
I am sure this question has been asked time and time again, so I apologize.. If you have suggestions for swapping my above list for other parts, my ears are open
Thanks again

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I never realized how expensive Noveske barrels were. Would not buy
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They're good shit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Daniel Defense makes a good barrel as I understand it.

OP, why not just go with a BCM upper already assembled in one of their available configurations?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Tapco the bitch, Yo!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

from what I've read about noveske bbl's they are worth every penny.. I have not used a rifle with one, however. You say you would not buy because of the price, but don't offer any advice on the negatives of that bbl, or any other options.. Not sure why you replied
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tapco the bitch, Yo!
View Quote

This isn't an SKS
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This isn't an SKS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tapco the bitch, Yo!

This isn't an SKS

LaRue da Fooo?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OP, why not just go with a BCM upper already assembled in one of their available configurations?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

have been looking into this route as well. I guess I just wanted this to be a complete build for me, but if going that route will save me that much money I may end up just doing that. And I don't like seeing myself spend $700 at once
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Are the PSA barrels made by FN?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're building a rifle with a 16" barrel, I'm on the fence about high end barrels. It's a carbine, not a long range rifle. It's nice if you can afford the high end stuff, but I won't personally lose any sleep over it. I have a Spike's barrel (actually FN) on the one I built with all the toys. I'm happy with it. It was $260.00.

If you want to build the upper, you will need some stuff. You need an AR combination tool, a torque wrench, a vise that is solidly mounted to a bench, and clamps for the upper receiver.

If you don't mind spending the money, they're pretty easy to build and there are excellent instructions in the armory section. It's also fun. If you're willing, your ownership of those tools may lead to build parties in the future.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

from what I've read about noveske bbl's they are worth every penny.. I have not used a rifle with one, however. You say you would not buy because of the price, but don't offer any advice on the negatives of that bbl, or any other options.. Not sure why you replied
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cause this is GD and I was making an observation.

BCMs barrels are made by the same company that makes Noveskes.
PSAs as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

PSAs as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSAs as well.

no, they arent.  Noveskes barrels are made by pac nor and are worth every penny.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

no, they arent.  Noveskes barrels are made by pac nor and are worth every penny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSAs as well.

I've spent a few minutes on google and the most recent things I have seen say noveske are FN barrels.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've spent a few minutes on google and the most recent things I have seen say noveske are FN barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSAs as well.

they may have switched since john died, but when we was alive, they used pacnor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you're building a rifle with a 16" barrel, I'm on the fence about high end barrels. It's a carbine, not a long range rifle. It's nice if you can afford the high end stuff, but I won't personally lose any sleep over it. I have a Spike's barrel (actually FN) on the one I built with all the toys. I'm happy with it. It was $260.00.

If you want to build the upper, you will need some stuff. You need an AR combination tool, a torque wrench, a vise that is solidly mounted to a bench, and clamps for the upper receiver.

If you don't mind spending the money, they're pretty easy to build and there are excellent instructions in the armory section. It's also fun. If you're willing, your ownership of those tools may lead to build parties in the future.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. I read more into the PSA barrels made by FN and at that price point ($174), I will most likely go that route. Now it's if I want it in a PSA upper or not  
My buddy built his rifle, so he has all the equipment I would need for the build.

Anyone with PSA builds? How hard can they be ran? Or would it be wise to spend the money on a BCM type upper? Thanks again
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]

With all the money you save from the good advice here, you could spend $24 on a Team membership.  Just sayin . . . .

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey all, new to ARF, so take it easy on me here in GD.. I see what can be done here
I am going to be building my first rifle in 5.56. I currently have an AR in 308 but I did not build that rifle, this will be my first. I am not going to be finishing this right off, more or less over the next few months or so.
My goal is to have a relatively $$ friendly build that I can rely on for a shtf purpose if need be. Otherwise, this will be used for general range and courses..
This is what I have in mind so far..

PSA stripped lower
DD lower parts kit
BMC BCG and BCM gunfighter charging handle
I am looking for advice on the upper receiver. NOTE: my last purchase will be a Noveske barrel, if possible, because if the coin I will need to spend on it. If not, I will consider purchasing a bbl'd upper receiver with no BCG/CH.

So, any advice on an upper receiver would be greatly appreciated. Again, I would like this upper to be wallet friendly but I want to be able to trust this rifle with my life.
I am sure this question has been asked time and time again, so I apologize.. If you have suggestions for swapping my above list for other parts, my ears are open
Thanks again

View Quote

Your screen name...MaineMed? EMMC? Elsewhere?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice. I read more into the PSA barrels made by FN and at that price point ($174), I will most likely go that route. Now it's if I want it in a PSA upper or not  
My buddy built his rifle, so he has all the equipment I would need for the build.

Anyone with PSA builds? How hard can they be ran? Or would it be wise to spend the money on a BCM type upper? Thanks again
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really the Upper receiver itself doesn't matter. My latest build is using a DSG brand Upper. My 5.45 has a DSA. 9mm a Brownells.

I do have a PSA Dissipator upper and its just as good a quality as the other uppers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Really the Upper receiver itself doesn't matter. My latest build is using a DSG brand Upper. My 5.45 has a DSA. 9mm a Brownells.

I do have a PSA Dissipator upper and its just as good a quality as the other uppers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So for reliability and how hard I can run it, you're saying look more into the lower receiver? Or just get a quality BCG and I'm g2g? I though the lower was just housing, get a solid parts kit and spend the money on a quality upper?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a 16" PSA Premium Upper that came with an Aimpoint PRO.  No complaints whatsoever.  I've taken it through two carbine courses with no issues.

I also have a 12" PSA Premium Upper I used in a pistol that eats any ammo I feed it.

PSA barreled uppers are GTG.

ETA: Both of the above uppers mentioned above use FA BCGs and are mounted on billet lowers with RRA two stage triggers and ambi safeties.  The pistol has an RRA pistol buffer tube assembly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So for reliability and how hard I can run it, you're saying look more into the lower receiver? Or just get a quality BCG and I'm g2g? I though the lower was just housing, get a solid parts kit and spend the money on a quality upper?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quality BCG I'd say.

I have some Anderson lowers that are as good as the Spikes, DPMS, and Barrett lowers I have.

I also realized I have a barrett Upper Receiver that the PSA is just as good as (Coating is just different)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#22]
This is nuts.  You would think with a name like "AR-15.com" there would be technical forums to ask such things...Crazy, I know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have a 16" PSA Premium Upper that came with an Aimpoint PRO.  No complaints whatsoever.  I've taken it through two carbine courses with no issues.

I also have a 12" PSA Premium Upper I used in a pistol that eats any ammo I feed it.

ETA: Both of the above uppers mentioned above use FA BCGs and are mounted on billet lowers with RRA two stage triggers and ambi safeties.  The pistol has an RRA pistol buffer tube assembly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm assuming that yore using a PSA BCG as well?
You guys are making me change my whole build!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is nuts.  You would think with a name like "AR-15.com" there would be technical forums to ask such things...Crazy, I know.
View Quote

God forbid I posted in GD, rather than a poll on if I like pizza more than pie
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was going to post "In before the guy asking about gun shit gets basted for asking about gun shit on a gun forum but not in the right place"....but too late...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#26]
AIM Surplus has some good BCGs for a good price just an FYI
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How hard can they be ran? A lot harder than you can run it. Mil-spec is mil-spec. I beat the shit out of my rifle (it gets 30-45miles of use a week on top of shooting). RRA lower, PSA upper, and a cheap Chinese alu rail up front. Nothing in my setup has failed in the past 4 years that I have had my rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was going to post "In before the guy asking about gun shit gets basted for asking about gun shit on a gun forum but not in the right place"....but too late...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saying, more quality answers and advice are to found in the forums that are in place for that very reason.  Even you knew it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Order the Bravo milspec receiver extension as well.  Costs a little more but it's the good one, made from 7075 aluminum.

A chrome lined, cold hammer forged bbl. by FN, Bravo, Spikes, Daniel Defense is good if you don't want to spend the coin on the Noveske bbl.   1x7 twist is what all the cool kids get.

Get a bolt carrier group that has all the specifications that Bravo, Daniel Defense or Spike's lists for their BCGs, or one from those folks.  Things like Carpenter 158 bolt, HP/MPI, staked and loctited carrier key, o-ring on the extractor spring, etc.  I belive the PSA premium bolt carrier group also meets all these specs.  Other folks sell good ones too.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I know that FN makes their chrome lined bbls. But what about their SS barrels? Are you running those on your uppers or the cold hammer forged from FN?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just saying, more quality answers and advice are to found in the forums that are in place for that very reason.  Even you knew it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

because then he would get knowledge, not bs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Order the Bravo milspec receiver extension as well.  Costs a little more but it's the good one, made from 7075 aluminum.

A chrome lined, cold hammer forged bbl. by FN, Bravo, Spikes, Daniel Defense is good if you don't want to spend the coin on the Noveske bbl.   1x7 twist is what all the cool kids get.

Get a bolt carrier group that has all the specifications that Bravo, Daniel Defense or Spike's lists for their BCGs, or one from those folks.  Things like Carpenter 158 bolt, HP/MPI, staked and loctited carrier key, o-ring on the extractor spring, etc.  I belive the PSA premium bolt carrier group also meets all these specs.  Other folks sell good ones too.  

View Quote

thanks. the buffer and stock I already have, I got a spikes milspec for sub $30. PSA has their NiB BCG for $119 right now so may pull the trigger on that
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

thanks. the buffer and stock I already have, I got a spikes milspec for sub $30. PSA has their NiB BCG for $119 right now so may pull the trigger on that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIM has a NiB for $99
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGNIBBDG
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see why it's so difficult to just provide appropriate answers to questions, regardless of where they are posted. like I clearly stated, I am new to ARF. I haven't been through each and every sub forum to know where exactly to post such a question. Back to the bashing because I posted a specific question in an inappropriate location..
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14183/category/4345/
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIM has a NiB for $99

Are these g2g? Im not familiar with who gets their parts from the same pool with their own stamping on it.. If I'd be better off spending the extra $20+ I do not mind
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Stripped lower of your choice for $65-125
Stag 2 rifle kit from ar15sales.com for $629

All the fun of assembling a lower without having to buy tools to build an upper.
Word of advice, build cheap first.  You won't really know what you want till your 2nd or 3rd try so don't blow big bucks on this one.  Make friends with a bunch of AR guys and shoot everyone else's to see what you do and don't like before you do a custom build.

ETA:  Making your first one cheap also makes it easier to let your noob friends use it when you get the nice one done.  1 will not be enough.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are these g2g? Im not familiar with who gets their parts from the same pool with their own stamping on it.. If I'd be better off spending the extra $20+ I do not mind
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIM has a NiB for $99

NiB is a great coating.  I haven't heard any negative on these yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIM has a NiB for $99

I've read great things about NiB as well. More or less interested about AIMs BCG
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I have two of their V2 NiB BCGs and they are solid.

AIM is a good company with good products
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an all PSA mid-length build but with a Daniel Defense BCG, the carrier being the heart and soul of the platform I wanted a good one.

I also have a Gunfighter charging handle, Magpul CTR stock, MOE handguard and a BCM grip.

It runs great, probably about 500 rounds through it so far, about 85% of which has been Tula 223, zero malfunctions.

I realize that's not a high round count but I am more than confident in its performance and would trust my life to it without question
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't see why it's so difficult to just provide appropriate answers to questions, regardless of where they are posted. like I clearly stated, I am new to ARF. I haven't been through each and every sub forum to know where exactly to post such a question. Back to the bashing because I posted a specific question in an inappropriate location..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey man, just trying to assist.  You say you are new.  The most knowledgeable guys on the site rarely if ever come to GD.  They are in the tech forums.  Good luck on building your gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Hookers.

And there was something else......

Ah yes! Blow!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#44]
barrel and BCG are important.

everything else cheap as possible.*
*triggers are nice too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top