Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2014 2:38:04 PM EDT
So, I'm on vacation.  The cabin I'm in is stocked with gun rags.
Ayoob has an article where some cop in Texas blasted a thug accidentally
Criminally, no problem, but civilly PD settled to,prevent ass rape.
Why?  Cop had put a,"sport" trigger in the Glock. 3.5 lbs vs the 5.5 that Glock " requires" for defense and police.

Cop was Jeff Williams and thug was named Santibanes

How many,people use their practical tactical Glock for defense?  
I don't give a shit. My finger doesn't go inside the guard until I've decided I can shoot.

Link
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
My carry gun (g19g4) has polished trigger components and a lone wolf 3.5 connector. Its probably a 4.5-5 pound pull, plenty heavy for defense. The cases that Ayoob cites in his arguments against trigger jobs on defensive weapons were either actual ND's or the trigger puller said it was an ND. There is no evidence that someone was prosecuted for having a modified trigger alone.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I would only put a 3.5# trigger in a Glock if it was strictly a range gun, but that is just me.  My USP Expert has a very light single action pull (3.8 I believe) but it has a safety and a decocker as well, so I wouldn't mind using something like that.  But I always looked at the trigger weight of the Glock to be part of the safety.  I know the trigger can't pull itself and all that stuff, yada yada yada, it is just a personal preference for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe the cop broke the PD policy by installing the 3.5lb. connector.
Some departments in my area prohibits the use of 3.5lb connector are required to use the 5.5lb connector.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys know the 3.5 connector does not actually result in a 3.5lb pull right? It drops it by a pound at most.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why?  Cop had put a,"sport" trigger in the Glock. 3.5 lbs vs the 5.5 that Glock " requires" for defense and police.

I don't give a shit. My finger doesn't go inside the guard until I've decided I can shoot.
View Quote

The 34/35 has a 4.5lb trigger.  

The trigger wasn't the issue.  The trigger finger was.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Eh. Not a huge fan of his.

If you shoot someone you do not intend to, doesnt matter if its a .5lb trigger or a 55.5lb trigger, you are liable for it. And in this case the police agency.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're worried that 25%-ish reduction in trigger pull will result in you negligently shooting someone, you may have larger issues to consider than trigger configuration.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You guys know the 3.5 connector does not actually result in a 3.5lb pull right? It drops it by a pound at most.  
View Quote

I didn't know that but his article mentions that in reality it is a 4.5 lb pull. Dropped one pound as you say. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a ton of respect for Mas, but many of 1911's come standard with -3.5# triggers...

I think it could be easily argued that heavy triggers are more dangerous, i.e. the NY-1 trigger. There are plenty of cases where NYPD triggers cause lots of innocents to get hit.

I also think it can easily be argued that a 3.5# trigger with a crisp break and reset are more accurate, i.e. it's the preferred modification for competition shooters. Shooters that demand accuracy routinely have very light triggers, not heavy ones.

I think Mas suffers from a bit of confirmation bias on these issues.

Third Rule, FTMFW.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. The cop did admit to unintentionally firing the weapon.  
That should have been in my OP. apologies.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

As the Glock trigger rotates, the force required to fire the weapon depends on where you apply the force. At the bottom of the trigger, less force is required than the middle.

But no, a 3.5 connector does not result in a practical 3.5lb trigger.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, my fucking dept won't let me install a forward grip, light, rails, or fucking any red dot or any sort of optics on my personally owned AR.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#13]
My G35 has a 5lb disconnector in it just for this reason.
During a class I had an ND after a clearing drill.  I brought the pistol up on target, not intending to fire, took the slack out of the trigger, too much slack because I was excited...Boom.
I run the 5lb in all my Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP, my fucking dept won't let me install a forward grip, light, rails, or fucking any red dot or any sort of optics on my personally owned AR.
View Quote

That is very retarded sir. .jpg

Some things enhance safety!!!!!
You shooting better is safer for you and everyone else.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Jeff Williams fucked up.

I'll let you decide how.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My G35 has a 5lb disconnector in it just for this reason.
During a class I had an ND after a clearing drill.  I brought the pistol up on target, not intending to fire, took the slack out of the trigger, too much slack because I was excited...Boom.
I run the 5lb in all my Glocks.
View Quote

Train more.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#17]
How about not pressing the trigger unless you want to fire?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious how he presented the case. The attorney for the plaintiff would throw everything possible at the court in the hope that something will stick. The cop admitted to the ND, but then it gets into procedure. Should his finger have been on the trigger at the instant he fired? If so, ND is a legitimate possibility. That's why we have that rule. But if he violated procedure by using a modified trigger, then he becomes liable for what he did because it was outside of their procedure. At the least, a judge and jury who don't know anything about firearms will believe that.

The difference, I think, is in the amount of damages awarded, not the liability.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you seen the training I get, you'd bang your head against the wall.  Oh and the reason on optics... "If another officer has to use your rifle, they won't know how to use the different optics". From a dept that still uses the piece of shit PR-24.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#21]
3.5lbs on a carry gun is trouble in waiting IMO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#22]
3.5 on both my Glocks.... it's heavy enough still
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Whenever he's discussing a topic, he's giving the worst case scenarios, and what he believes will be the best way to remove as much liability as possible.

You are not obligated to follow any of the advice given, as it's just advice. It's a risk vs rewards kind of thing.

Will that reduced weight really improve the odds of you hitting the bad guy, vs will you have a greater chance of accidentally firing the handgun while under the stress of a life or death situation?

View Quote

EXACTLY this. Anyone who has seen the man talk, taken a class for him or read any of his writings should understand this is exactly where he is coming from. He is controversial because he is so risk-averse but in reality, he is just laying out the worse case scenario.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#25]
According to Ayoob, the sky is always falling when you get in a self defense situation.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Why does this 3.5 pound trigger keep coming up? It isn't a thing in the context of the OP

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a ton of respect for Mas, but many of 1911's come standard with -3.5# triggers...

I think it could be easily argued that heavy triggers are more dangerous, i.e. the NY-1 trigger. There are plenty of cases where NYPD triggers cause lots of innocents to get hit.

I also think it can easily be argued that a 3.5# trigger with a crisp break and reset are more accurate, i.e. it's the preferred modification for competition shooters. Shooters that demand accuracy routinely have very light triggers, not heavy ones.

Third Rule, FTMFW.
View Quote

Police officers are NOT competitive shooters.

While many cops are gun guys, most are not. Couple this with forgetting everything you have been taught when a combat situation arrives and you have a recipe for disaster.

A 'race guy' is a high speed tool for a specific purpose. It is not designed for combat.

Truth is MOST cops should be handed a basic, crude tool as they are not trained to use thoroughbred pistols.

Before the LEOs out there go ape shit, stop and think. Most Arfcom cops are gun guys. Take a look around your fellow officers and most of you will know what I mean. Granted, a handful of departments spend the money for training but MOST (not all) simply train a cop not to shoot himself in the ass and leave it at that.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the 3.5lb connector in my 26, oddly enough mine doesn't fire until I decide to shoot and put my finger on the trigger so I don't see what difference it makes. Its still a trigger that breaks over 4lbs anyway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
According to Ayoob, the sky is always falling when you get in a self defense situation.
View Quote

Ayoob is right.

Murphy was an optimist.

The other day I posted what happened to me when I was a little kid that almost got beat up pretty badly. The combat itself is a blur and I remember very little of it. What I DO remember was the after-action shakes.

Adrenalin is a very powerful drug.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I would think that a trigger that is easier to actuate would lend to higher precision of shot placement. Clean break, follow through, and reset means my shot is more accurate even when shooting with one hand.

If adrenaline clouds your thinking and muscle control, it won't matter what trigger you have in the gun. Your manipulation of the weapon will be compromised. I don't think there is any way you can prepare for that unless you get in a lot of gunfights and survive them adding to your body of personal knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I have the 3.5lb connector in my 26, oddly enough mine doesn't fire until I decide to shoot and put my finger on the trigger so I don't see what difference it makes. Its still a trigger that breaks over 4lbs anyway.
View Quote
Boy that's weird. It almost like that's how guns work.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Ayoob's views on some of this stuff are simply dated.  It was good advise in 1984, when self defense was much more problematic from a legal perspective.  Today?  Sorry, no.  A good shoot is a good shoot.  These sorts of details almost never are even heard about in court cases (And yes, I'm aware of Mr. Fish.  Suffice to say, that was more complex than many paint it as)

The issue for a cop is that if the cop has broken equipment policy, that's a different ball game.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would think that a trigger that is easier to actuate would lend to higher precision of shot placement. Clean break, follow through, and reset means my shot is more accurate even when shooting with one hand. It also means the AVERAGE cop is likely to put a little too much pressure on the trigger in anticipation of taking a shot

If adrenaline WILL cloud your thinking and muscle control, it won't matter what trigger you have in the gun. Your manipulation of the weapon will be compromised. I don't think there is any way you can prepare for that unless you get in a lot of gunfights and survive them adding to your body of personal knowledge.
View Quote

Ask any 0311 or 11B here that has been in the shit and they'll likely tell you the adrenal gland was pumping overtime.

There really IS no way to prepare for it and your point about learning by surviving several fights probably holds true.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

While many cops are gun guys, most are not. Couple this with forgetting everything you have been taught when a combat situation arrives and you have a recipe for disaster.

A 'race guy' is a high speed tool for a specific purpose. It is not designed for combat.

Truth is MOST cops should be handed a basic, crude tool as they are not trained to use thoroughbred pistols.

Before the LEOs out there go ape shit, stop and think. Most Arfcom cops are gun guys. Take a look around your fellow officers and most of you will know what I mean. Granted, a handful of departments spend the money for training but MOST (not all) simply train a cop not to shoot himself in the ass and leave it at that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Third Rule, FTMFW.

A stock, off-the-shelf Kimber or Springfiled 1911 is a "race gun?" Really? They come from the factory with a 3.5#-4.5" trigger.

The tenor of this tread seems to be that if cops suck at using lightened triggers then everyone else will as well.

It's well known that CCWers shoot far more than your average cop. If a department makes it their policy to keep Glocks stock then that's their prerogative.

But to say that having a 3.5# trigger will get you into legal trouble is nonsense. At least here in TN. But, hell, in some States defending yourself with a sharp stick could be considered a gross use of deadly force.

I normally agree with you but I have to beg to differ here. And thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sucks. What if I put them on for you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A stock, off-the shelf Kimber or Springfiled 1911 is a "race gun?" They come from the factory with a 3.5#-4.5" trigger.

The tenor of this tread seems to be that if cops suck at using lightened triggers then everyone else will as well.

It's well known that CCWers shoot far more than your average cop. If a department makes it their policy to keep Glocks stock then that's their prerogative.

But to say that having a 3.5# trigger will get you into legal trouble is nonsense. At least here in TN. But, hell, in some States defending yourself with a sharp stick could be considered a gross use of deadly force.

I normally agree with you but I have to beg to differ here. And thank you for your service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Third Rule, FTMFW.

A stock, off-the shelf Kimber or Springfiled 1911 is a "race gun?" They come from the factory with a 3.5#-4.5" trigger.

In his article, Ayoob mentions that there is no correct weight. I think the " lightening" of triggers is his issue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Ayoob has always been full of shit about trigger pull.  He once wrote a whole article with the headline being "don't carry a 1911 with a trigger job for defense" and then in his examples did not site one autopistol that had a trigger job that was fired unintentionally.  Every one was a revolver or DA auto that had been cocked and then handled unsafely.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Added. Link to article in OP
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I've asked a lot of people this and never got a good answer.

As I see it - this:

Scenario 1. I didn't mean to shoot, the gun just went off! (that's when what you've done to the gun will come into play, were you negligent in maintenance, modification etc)

Scenario 2. I shot to protect my life and the life of my family. I just wanted the attack to stop. I was in fear of my own survival. (Once you state you shot, why you shot - the tool used doesn't matter)

In scenario 2 - I've yet to find ANY legal case where the case went from being "good shoot or bad" to "Shooter had a modified gun - prosecute, circumstance of WHY don't matter"

Modification questions make sense when you claim to not have meant to shoot or the shooting was a result of a ND. Never could find anyone to point me to a case where someone got the fist of the law up their ass about gun modifications (or ammo choice) when the shoot was intentional.

It's up to you to decide if you feel that you're prone to an ND in a situation like that. What your level of comfort and training is etc.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I think he started out honorable but now is past diminishing returns and  is starting to poison the pond.  

I recall when he lauded against hollow points. Then 'exotic' calibers like 10mm. Then he went on about using guns with no external safety. Then he went on about how you should carry what the local police carry. Then he went on about an endless number of 'good intention' ideas that were rooted in no real law but his 'expert testimony'. Then he throws up being a Second Chance save because he wore his vest during a car wreck.

If it's a righteous shoot. It's a righteous shoot.  I remember this case in Northern VA where a guy and his girlfriend were being attacked by bikers in the 80s. He was an HK employee and shot one guy with a VP70 and cut another guy in half with a full auto Ruger Mini 14.  By Ayoobs logic, the guy should have hung.  The prosecution tried to make a big deal of a select fire rifle being used but the Judge said that the weapon was irrelevant in light of the circumstances.   Dude got fired by HK but won the case.

So I'm leery of professional 'expert' witnesses.  But that's me.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#41]
brb 3# trigger on my 1911 and my AR.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Adrenaline dumps are real.  Seriously if you dont get shakes afterwards you weren't in a real fight. Especially hand to hand. But trigger finger control and workspace management trump heavier or lighter triggers.

5 lbs should be standard but 3.5lbs isn't that light so it's negligible.
The worst thing is 12 or even 16 pound triggers.  That results in overexertion and jerking making missing almost a predetermined outcome.

Once a year shooting is the national average.   Really it should be quarterly with judgmental shooting.   FATS systems are so much cheaper now that they should be used more often.  You'll never beat adrenaline but you can control it with more immersion to stress.  Like you want to go into autopilot.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Ayoob has always been full of shit about trigger pull.  He once wrote a whole article with the headline being "don't carry a 1911 with a trigger job for defense" and then in his examples did not site one autopistol that had a trigger job that was fired unintentionally.  Every one was a revolver or DA auto that had been cocked and then handled unsafely.
View Quote

Even if he did have an example, it wouldn't help his case.

Don't press the trigger until you're ready to fire! Don't take up slack, don't rest your finger on the trigger, don't stroke it affectionately!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

On a carry gun with no external safety? We're talking a Glock here not a SA 1911 cocked and locked. Guess I'm not professional enough....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

On a carry gun with no external safety? We're talking a Glock here not a SA 1911 cocked and locked. Guess I'm not professional enough....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

This makes a difference when the gun is holstered because...?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#46]
My Glock is set up to make me fast and accurate. I have thousands of rounds down range with it as configured. It shoots when I want it to.

That will not change because Ayoob doesn't like it. My primary concern is saving my life, legal ramifications are secondary.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Had the shooting been intentional rather than accidental, the trigger wouldn't have been an issue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Link
View Quote

Exactly
Ayoob is full of shit on this one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm a big fan of the 3.5 connector with the NY1 trigger return spring. You get a longer, smoother trigger pull like a DA revolver, without any reduction in the trigger pull weight. Also, the NY1 trigger return spring has a much longer life than the stock spring.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#50]
From the article: "You go into automatic pilot, trying to do everything needing to be done. * * * you realize you have reflexively drawn your Glock .45 from its Level I thumbbreak holster … and it discharged through the window."

The article is bullshit. The opinion has almost nothing to do with the trigger pull; it is dealt with as follows. "Finally, the Court takes note of the modification to Sergeant Williams' weapon. In particular, he initially stated that his weapon—a Glock brand 21, .45 caliber pistol—had not been modified. However, after forensic testing and inspection, it was revealed that the weapon had, in fact, been modified in three separate respects. The relevant modification was to the weapon's trigger connector. The record also shows that Sergeant Williams, prior to the incident, replaced the pistol's 5 pound trigger connector with a Glock 3.5 pound trigger connector. Forensic testing determined that this modification reduced the force needed to pull the trigger to approximately 4.5 pounds, making it easier to fire the weapon. In light of these considerations, whether Sergeant Williams, in fact, intended to discharge his weapon is an issue that cannot and should not be resolved at the summary judgment stage."

The defendant City not only admitted but insisted that the shooting was accidental; the plaintiff shootee claimed that it was intentional. The issue was whether there was some evidence from which a jury could conclude that it was intentional; an intentional act was necessary for establishment of federal jurisdiction.

Adjust your trigger however you like; just don't point your gun at anybody and pull the trigger unless you're justified in shooting him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top