Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes to all of the above.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you use cast iron? Did you pre-heat it to 500 degrees in the oven? Did you let the steak come to room temperature first?  It looks good, but doing those things are essential to the AB method.

Yes to all of the above.

Then I might sear a bit longer next time, but it's your steak.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Is Alton on here?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
In before Dinnertime
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Alton Brown is one of us...
View Quote

I think I know his screen name.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You people are going to make me go buy a cast iron skillet.  I saw the link to Alton's method in team earlier, and this just seals the deal.  I have been hungry for steak since 8:30am  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cooking time depends on thickness, and olive oil is okay, but there are cooking oils with higher smoke points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pull steaks out of fridge for 25 to 30 mins.  before cooking. Salt pepper and get some olive oil on them. Put cast iron skillet in oven and preheat oven to 425 to 450. When oven gets to temp turn on stove top to near high. Put cast iron on top place steak in for 2 mins., then turn for another 2 mins. Place in oven for 2 more mins. Pull out, plate steak, and let rest for 5 mins. Enjoy.

Cooking time depends on thickness, and olive oil is okay, but there are cooking oils with higher smoke points.

Even with olive oil, there are different smoke points for different grades... extra virgin has a lower smoke point than virgin and extra light

I know the AB pan sear method calls for Canola oil
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pull steaks out of fridge for 25 to 30 mins.  before cooking. Salt pepper and get some olive oil on them. Put cast iron skillet in oven and preheat oven to 425 to 450. When oven gets to temp turn on stove top to near high. Put cast iron on top place steak in for 2 mins., then turn for another 2 mins. Place in oven for 2 more mins. Pull out, plate steak, and let rest for 5 mins. Enjoy.

You are correct. I have been using peanut oil the last few times.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Another thing, besides proper high heat to achieve a good sear is; A) Let your meat come up to temp before cooking(time varies) and B)Season early enough with salt that it has a chance to 'sweat' and flow back into the meat(at least an hour)

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Even with olive oil, there are different smoke points for different grades... extra virgin has a lower smoke point than virgin and extra light

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because it's HIS way, not the only way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]
10/10 but must see a picture of your fishing boat before I buy a ring.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#12]
-4 for missing the sear
-1 for ice water instead of a real nice beverage like beer or wine or even a virgin cocktail for the AA types
-4 for metric FAL, everybody knows that ich SLR's beat FAL's.  

score of 1

just busting chops, I'd eat that steak.  

I don't let my steak get to room temp.  I want my center on the raw side.  My mother used to broil steaks that were still mostly frozen,  they came out perfect, well browned, charred fat and very rare.  The best of everything!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#13]
You should seriously consider finding another place to live.

I mean if you have to cook a steak in a pan and oven instead of outside on a grill that is one thing.

But if you need to have a handgun and a rifle while you are eating a pan fried steak, you live in a crappy place!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let me be the first to welcome our cast iron overlords.

(And seriously... for those of you who say direct flame is better, I promise you have not tried this method)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks pretty good, but something is up with the sear. I know I'm nitpicking, but I'm not seeing the brown goodness of a Maillard reaction going on.

Your skillet wasn't hot enough. Don't know why. Induction burners, perhaps? It's got to be something like that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks better then what I ate!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#17]
9/10 Looks good.

-1 No beer.

Brilliant paint job on the rifle. I like it & hate it all at once.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#18]
That is seared?

I would still devour it though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Pan wasn't hot enough.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The real advantage to pan searing is that while the steaks finish in the oven, you can throw in a teaspoon of flour, stir to brown and coat, deglaze with red wine, add in sweated onions and garlic, add a little gravy master and Worchestershire, and pour it over your steak at taters.
View Quote

not gonna ruin my meat with that stuff.....taters maybe...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

-1 for ice water instead of a real nice beverage like beer or wine or even a virgin cocktail for the AA types

View Quote

it's a virgin whisky n' water...  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Where is the sear marks?
View Quote

Microwaves don't leave sear marks.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Taters look tasty!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Agree with the rest.  It looks good and I'd eat it, but I don't see the sear/crust.

ETA:  I've been using a probe thermometer and doing the "reserve sear".  I find that the steak is a lot more evenly cooked and you get a nicer sear on the outside by searing it last.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks pretty good, but something is up with the sear. I know I'm nitpicking, but I'm not seeing the brown goodness of a Maillard reaction going on.

Your skillet wasn't hot enough. Don't know why. Induction burners, perhaps? It's got to be something like that.
View Quote

Yes.

I miss having a gas stove.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You should seriously consider finding another place to live.

I mean if you have to cook a steak in a pan and oven instead of outside on a grill that is one thing.

But if you need to have a handgun and a rifle while you are eating a pan fried steak, you live in a crappy place!!!!!
View Quote

: Check
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
How long did you leave the pan in the oven before putting it on the stove? I don't think the stove burners help sear it as much as the latent heat from the oven does. The stove burner is basically to keep the pan from cooling off too much once the meat is added.

The timer on my oven takes 6 minutes to preheat; I let it go for 20 minutes or so.

Ooooh induction. Bet the raised rib on the pan bottom doesn't help.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

In before Dinnertime
View Quote
Oh no you didn't

The man is a maniacal genius

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How long did you leave the pan in the oven before putting it on the stove? I don't think the stove burners help sear it as much as the latent heat from the oven does. The stove burner is basically to keep the pan from cooling off too much once the meat is added.   The timer on my oven takes 6 minutes to preheat; I let it go for 20 minutes or so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

How long did you leave the pan in the oven before putting it on the stove? I don't think the stove burners help sear it as much as the latent heat from the oven does. The stove burner is basically to keep the pan from cooling off too much once the meat is added.   The timer on my oven takes 6 minutes to preheat; I let it go for 20 minutes or so.

Definitely don't pull the pan out as soon as the oven hits the right temp. I give it five minutes usually.

Induction cook tops are great for cast iron, if you have a relatively flat bottom pan, and you don't trigger the automatic shutoff from overheating on the stove top...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Odd color? Carry on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that gun airsoft?
Steak. I'd hit it.

Wat. No, it's a DSA SA-58.

Odd color? Carry on.

Looks boiled but I would still eat it!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Love the FAL

Sous vide in butter then quickly seared on top of a charcoal chimney for me
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This. Get your cast iron skillet red hot next time.

FWIW, I did my first sous vide ribeye last night. It was superb---prefectly medium rare throughout, with perfectly charred crust (blow torch).

Sounds crazy, but it was excellent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pan could be a little hotter IMO, but good work..

Mrs.InkyNwG started using this method a few years ago.. Now we don't order steaks when out, she cooks them better at home.

This. Get your cast iron skillet red hot next time.

FWIW, I did my first sous vide ribeye last night. It was superb---prefectly medium rare throughout, with perfectly charred crust (blow torch).

Sounds crazy, but it was excellent.

are you just torching one side and searing the other?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I tried his cast iron pan sear, then into the oven.  Made a good steak, but completely smoked me out of the house.

I am going to try his skirt steak directly on the coals method he described.  Beef, along with most other food, is really damn high now.  Doesn't hurt to be able to make the most of "somewhat" less expensive cuts.

I give +5 for the Rhodesian camo on the FAL.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't use the grill to cook steaks anymore. I only use cast iron skillets.

1. Let steaks get to room temperature.
2. Use high temp oil like peanut and canola.
3. Lightly rub oil on steaks then season with kosher salt and ground black pepper
4. Oven at 500 with skillet in it. Leave it in oven for awhile to ensure pan is heated.
5. Once pan is ready put stove top on like 8-9 on a 10 scale.
6. Put skillet on stove and let it get damn hot.
7. Ventilate house. Open windows and turn off smoke detectors.
8. Throw on steak and sear each side 30-45 seconds.
9. Finish in oven about 1:45-2:00 minutes each side. This varies though depending on thickness of steak. A really thick steak may require 3-4 mins a side.

I became the steak master at work at the house we were renting for a project.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#35]
This thread is 10/10.

OP's dinner is 10/10.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't use the grill to cook steaks anymore. I only use cast iron skillets.

1. Let steaks get to room temperature.
2. Use high temp oil like peanut and canola.
3. Lightly rub oil on steaks then season with kosher salt and ground black pepper
4. Oven at 500 with skillet in it. Leave it in oven for awhile to ensure pan is heated.
5. Once pan is ready put stove top on like 8-9 on a 10 scale.
6. Put skillet on stove and let it get damn hot.
7. Ventilate house. Open windows and turn off smoke detectors.
8. Throw on steak and sear each side 30-45 seconds.
9. Finish in oven about 1:45-2:00 minutes each side. This varies though depending on thickness of steak. A really thick steak may require 3-4 mins a side.

I became the steak master at work at the house we were renting for a project.
View Quote

Got it 100%... Including the smokey part.. Exactly how Mrs.InkyNwG does it and never looked back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I enjoy DinnerTime
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This...

Good effort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pan was too cold.

This...

Good effort.

Yes. Turn the heat up to 11 under that pan next time and give the pan time to get all the way hot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Plus one on not losing the grill completely,  this time of year I am reluctant to heat up the house with the oven usage.

Great idea no the single burner plate outside thing.  Simple genius at work.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pan wasn't hot enough.

View Quote

X 1000. Make sure you get the pan to +500 and use the burner on HIGH for the searing...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Who the fuck can afford Rib Eye these days?

I'm living on pork loin roasts, chicken breast and beef roasts I buy on sale, barbecue and slice up for tacos.

The T-bone, Strip and Rib Eye days are over for me for now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Who the fuck can afford Rib Eye these days?

I'm living on pork loin roasts, chicken breast and beef roasts I buy on sale, barbecue and slice up for tacos.

The T-bone, Strip and Rib Eye days are over for me for now.
View Quote

It was $8. Damn near broke me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd eat it, 10+

One day I'll learn how to cook a steak
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#44]
My mom always told me that eating fruits and vegetables would make me grow up to be big and strong. She was full of shit. I do love me some dinnertime though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That was probably the best steak I've ever cooked. Juicy and so tender.

View Quote

For me, no probably about it.

The perfect method to cook a steak IMHO.

Quoted:
I'd eat it, 10+

One day I'll learn how to cook a steak
View Quote

Chain, check out that Alton Brown video 'Steak your claim'. (ETA: Hmmmmm ....... why can't I find that vid now?)

ETA try this

My kitchen skillset is virtually non-existent. I went step by step with the vid and viola, the perfect steak.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Your skillet should've been hotter, but looks delicious anyway.

When you preheated your skillet, did you leave it in the oven for at least 5 minutes once it hit 500?
Just because your oven hits 500, doesn't mean that big hunk of metal pan does.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Fuck all the nancy talk, looks good to me!  9/10

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That is seared?  

I would still devour it though.
View Quote

Nope, not seared !
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup and I recommend his Guac recipe also
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Not possible without a grill.
View Quote

Correct, but God's gas, or charcoal?

TXL
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top