Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2014 1:20:52 PM EDT
Can anyone explain this to me? Seems more than reasonable to pass something like this?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can anyone explain this to me? Seems more than reasonable to pass something like this?
View Quote

Nanny state?  

Stolen valor is a shitty thing to do, but do we really need another law on the books because some douchebag wants to parade around as a war hero?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
1st amendment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

When you take away free speech in any capacity you are opening pandora's box what next if you can outlaw one thing?

Who cares if someone wants to lie let them social justice is better IMO
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Because Freedom of Speech is a linchpin of our political system.  And anything which approaches damaging that linchpin should be approached extremely carefully.

It's a pathetic thing to do.  However, it's easy enough to enact laws which penalize the material gain of such an act, without potentially damaging free speech by outlawing the act itself.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a freedom of speech issue I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Because freedom is messy?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Bullshitting for gain is already a crime called fraud.

Bullshitting for fun is protected speech.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps a better question would be why we need yet another law, especially considering the fact that any potential damage or fraud one might perpetuate by ''stealing valor' is already covered under laws already on the books.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you even freedom bro?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Because it'll open the door to randomly arresting LARPers and airsofters running around in the woods with camo fatigues for stolen valor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Passing the law isn't the hard part, it's defining stolen valor in a way that's effective and not an unreasonable limit on speech.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1st amendment.
View Quote

Instead of making more laws we should just decriminalize confronting and outing the shitbags.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
3rd post nailed it...........
Quoted:
1st amendment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Because freedom is messy?
View Quote

this

we already have enough bullshit laws, no need to add any more.

We have fraud laws when someone uses false claims of military service for monetary gain.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe because it's still a free country?

For now..
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh yeah well dress like a JBT and they'll lock your fucking ass up!  Protected damn class of JBT's!

lol, I'm just joking. But, seriously in court we had a soup sandwich dressed as a USAF MSgt, yup
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Which is more important?  The right to free expression or throwing some guy who wears a medal he didn't earn in jail?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The government paid out something like 100 billion in tax claims last year that were fraudulent. If they can't handle that, how do you expect them to figure anything else out? I really don't give a damn about most of the stolen valor weenies unless they are receiving funds or benefits they aren't entitled to.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#19]
People keep bitching about this "bill of rights" garbage.

Seems like every once in a while the legislature passes a law making it a crime, courts say no. Repeat. I believe currently stolen valor is punishable by a small fine and the courts seem to have better things to do than address the issue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#20]
1st Amendment  . We don't need to worry about that shit anyway.

I don't think I have ever got angry over one of those fake Ranger Recon Delta kooks.

It's always a sad individual doing it, I usually feel pity towards them.

But then again maybe I am biased, I have never seen anyone pretend to be a boring grunt with 1 combat deployment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#21]
As long as one isn't committing actual fraud, lying, no matter the subject, is protected speech. As despicable as stolen valor is, it should not be a crime.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well put.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well put.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.

Makes me wonder, where is the line drawn on that? Is lying about work history on your resume to get a job you wouldn't get otherwise considered fraud?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
1st amendment.
View Quote

Reasonable restrictions.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
The cynic in me thinks that it's to keep libtards from suing actual war heroes from using their service history to run for office by pedantic discrepancies in their service.

If some faggot wants to dress as a Marine and act the fool in bars, things will sort themselves out.

I don't want some asshole Democrat suing a real war hero for stolen valor because of a technicality.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Liberty.

n. noun
The condition of being free from restriction or control.
The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing.
The condition of being physically and legally free from confinement, servitude, or forced labor.

That also includes your right to be something you're not nor ever "earned."
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Reasonable restrictions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1st amendment.

Reasonable restrictions.

It comes back to intent.  Do we monitor actors in costume? Military re-enactors? If they're not claiming actual status to benefit from it, there's no injury.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It comes back to intent.  Do we monitor actors in costume? Military re-enactors? If they're not claiming actual status to benefit from it, there's no injury.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1st amendment.

Reasonable restrictions.

Yup.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Reasonable restrictions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1st amendment.

Reasonable restrictions.

You consider it reasonable to make low self esteem a crime?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
As long as one isn't committing actual fraud, lying, no matter the subject, is protected speech. As despicable as stolen valor is, it should not be a crime.
View Quote

This.  

Personally I would enjoy outing one.  But the closest I have ever encountered is talking to their kids.

Conversation usually goes something like this...

Student- Mr Currahee were you in the Army?

Me- Yes I was, long time ago.

Student- What did you do?

Me- I was an infantryman, I served in Korea, no not the Korean War blah blah blah

Student- My Dad was a Navy SEAL

Me- OK that's cool, lets get back to the lesson

(I would feel horrible calling out a parent on a lie they told their kids)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Stolen valor dickheads are usually easily shamed into oblivion.  I don't think we need a national law that will likely just cause different abuses of power etc by zero-tolerance idiots.  I.e. arresting people on halloween and other stupid shit.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

Some dick claiming to be a DeltaSEALRangerPJ trying to impress a 4 at closing time... Meh, not worth it.

Going on a "motivational" speaking tour for profit with stolen valor? Fuck that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:......... Seems more than reasonable to pass something like this?
View Quote

How about NO! Learn your First Amendment, preferable not off YouTube when you look for your next round of videos to post.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1st amendment.

Reasonable restrictions.

Actually, my post was saying that there are reasonable restrictions placed on the 1st A against his blanket 1st A post.  Take that what you will.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This.  

Personally I would enjoy outing one.  But the closest I have ever encountered is talking to their kids.

Me- I was an infantryman, I served in Korea, no not the Korean War blah blah blah

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I support the 1st Amendment BUT . . . . we need common sense laws to protect the children.

Something like that?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
1st amendment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Actually, my post was saying that there are reasonable restrictions placed on the 1st A against his blanket 1st A post.  Take that what you will.
View Quote

Sorry, I misunderstood.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Freedom of speech/expression.

Sometimes it means you have to deal with shit you don't like. Suck it up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
1st Amendment  . We don't need to worry about that shit anyway.

I don't think I have ever got angry over one of those fake Ranger Recon Delta kooks.

It's always a sad individual doing it, I usually feel pity towards them.

But then again maybe I am biased, I have never seen anyone pretend to be a boring grunt with 1 combat deployment.
View Quote

why no tank?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Fraud is already illegal.  Being a douchebag in a Halloween costume shouldn't be.  

As with everything else, the cure would be worse than the disease; combat vets would be getting citations for having their ribbons in the wrong precedence while some assclown struts around with a Ranger tab and a USN "scrambed eggs" cover
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Unless you choose to bullshit as a cop, lawyer, or doctor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you choose to bullshit as a cop, lawyer, or doctor.

Then there are a lot of male strippers out there dodging jail time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You're not allowed to wear the nation's honors unless you earned them. - 12 words. Done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Passing the law isn't the hard part, it's defining stolen valor in a way that's effective and not an unreasonable limit on speech.  

You're not allowed to wear the nation's honors unless you earned them. - 12 words. Done.

Yet those that earned them, earned them by taking the oath to defend someone's right to that free speech. Bakes your noodle, eh?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Impersonating a doctor, lawyer, or cop gets you arrested but you can play US Army general all day long.

Another law - no but if caught playing dress-up by a real member of the military they get to stomp your ass three ways to Sunday and if you survive its only by luck or their kindness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nanny state?  

Stolen valor is a shitty thing to do, but do we really need another law on the books because some douchebag wants to parade around as a war hero?

Impersonating a doctor, lawyer, or cop gets you arrested but you can play US Army general all day long.

Another law - no but if caught playing dress-up by a real member of the military they get to stomp your ass three ways to Sunday and if you survive its only by luck or their kindness.

Ok let's be precise here in our meaning, if you impersonate a doctor, lawyer, or officer, and then attempt to actually do their job while falsely representing yourself as one of them, you will be arrested. I am guessing if someone dressed up like a Marine and tried to sneak his way onto a base and start doing Marine things he would also be arrested.

I don't know why anyone would do that, because most of those things are really shitty anyway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Pity the pathetic ass who needs to do such things to make them feel as though they exist.

Not worth getting upset over.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top