Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 1:13:32 PM EDT
So it looks like my lower wisdom teeth are not playing nice. They are both pretty much horizontal and the right one (32) is causing problems with my rear-most molar (31). It is pushing against the root of 31 and causing it to do an ultra-slow-motion back flip. This is not good, I have been informed. The dentist believes that 32 should be removed, and I should consider removing the other lower wisdom tooth to avoid the same thing on the other side. I am 21 and have otherwise pretty good teeth.

My questions are thus:

Should I fo and let someone dig around in my mouth?

Should I get both lowers done in one go or wait to see if the other one will cause problems?

How much does getting a wisdom tooth pulled suck?

I would be put under for the operation, which I have never experienced before. What should I expect?

What can I expect as far as pain and recovery time after the operation?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So it looks like my lower wisdom teeth are not playing nice. They are both pretty much horizontal and the right one (32) is causing problems with my rear-most molar (31). It is pushing against the root of 31 and causing it to do an ultra-slow-motion back flip. This is not good, I have been informed. The dentist believes that 32 should be removed, and I should consider removing the other lower wisdom tooth to avoid the same thing on the other side. I am 21 and have otherwise pretty good teeth.

My questions are thus:
Should I fo and let someone dig around in my mouth? Why not.
Should I get both lowers done in one go or wait to see if the other one will cause problems? Get them done at same time. Why pay another labor charge, when you're there?
How much does getting a wisdom tooth pulled suck? man up, stop being a pussy
I would be put under for the operation, which I have never experienced before. What should I expect? Have all shots current, mark underwear, with magic marker in inconspicuous spot. When you get home if mark has moved, go to clinic ASAP
What can I expect as far as pain and recovery time after the operation? 1-2 days
View Quote

For someone who has pretty good teeth, sounds like there are issues down the road for you

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Get them pulled. Failure to do do will wreck your other teeth and you will have jaw pain from the teeth pushing on the others.

Get them all done at once. It will hurt the same as just one, but better to hurt once than 2 or more times.

It's not fun, but you will survive. I had mine out at 18. If you wait and do it when you're older, it will only be harder to recover from. Plus you will endure more pain until you have it done.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get them pulled. Failure to do do will wreck your other teeth and you will have jaw pain from the teeth pushing on the others.

Get them all done at once. It will hurt the same as just one, but better to hurt once than 2 or more times.

It's not fun, but you will survive. I had mine out at 18. If you wait and do it when you're older, it will only be harder to recover from. Plus you will endure more pain until you have it done.
View Quote
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll likely be making an appointment for next week for the consultation.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll likely be making an appointment for next week for the consultation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget to ask the dentist for moderate sedation, then have your driver post the video here.  Random stupid statements and/or crying about not having a unicorn and/or Justin Bieber are very popular!

Which is why I fear Versed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Get them all pulled if you can. Wisdom teeth are known to cause issues.

I had all 4 of mine removed when I was 22, 22 years later I don't miss them at all.

MPD165
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes to all of the above... Get it done and do it all at once.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Get them cut out at the same time. It is going to suck, deal with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Had 3 out a few years ago. It was a piece of cake.

They knocked me out, and when I came to I felt no pain.

Mouth was sore for a few days. A couple of visits for dry socket. Otherwise, it was a breeze.

If they're causing you problems, you gotta get them pulled.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 50 and hope my wisdom teeth never come in.  I got nothin else for ya.  Haven't been to the dentist in a very long time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Get all 4 yanked, $1200ish, enjoy the vicodin for a few days. I was fine within a day or so.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
My advice is don't wake up from the anesthesia during the procedure.  Other than that, not so bad.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Does it hurt? Many people go their whole lives with wisdom teeth intact with zero issues.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I only had 2 and they didnt bother me or cause any problems, until I was 37.  One of them got a cavity bc of the angle and not being able to brush it.  The  dentist said no use in filling it, he was going to pull it. I said, if you get one, get both.

Not as bad as people said, ice in zip lock baggies and pain pills.

Trust him when he tells you to take the pain pills.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Or you could wait it out a bit.  Did you find out due to x rays or because they were causing problems?

Wisdom tooth extraction is big $$$ for dentists.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I would go ahead and just have the all four removed at once and be done.  Eventually mine would have started causing issues so I went to an oral surgeon and had them taken out......
They knocked me out for the surgery so entire procedure was over before I knew it. Then I was on pain killers for about a week so didnt experience much pain. I had no complications so I would have to say having them pulled was not a big deal. It was a nice week off work sitting around watching movies and relaxing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I almost forgot.  Find someone willing to do it without sedation.  Unless of course you're cool with dying.

http://laist.com/2013/04/02/25-year-old_man_dies_while_getting_wisdom_teeth_pulled.php
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My questions are thus:
Should I get both lowers done in one go or wait to see if the other one will cause problems?
I would be put under for the operation, which I have never experienced before. What should I expect?
View Quote

If you need one out I'd go ahead and have them take all four.  It doesn't suck much.  You'll wake up like nothing happened and think you're fine, then in a minute or two you'll realize how messed up you are and you'll be sleepy for a while.  Pain was very minor and the pain meds took care of it completely.  I had mine out on Friday and was back at work on Monday.  But this was my personal experience, YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I had one pulled when  I was like 17, 'cause that one pretty much had to go, like now.  The other three about 16 years later.  There's one corner of my mouth that hasn't had root canals/crowns/abscesses/extractions.  I'm convinced that if I'd have gotten those other teef taken care of by my mid 20s my mouf would be in better shape.  And that's really one of my only regrets.  They had to pull four teef before I got braces, so, my teef have always been crowded in my mouf.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got all 4 of mine taken out at the same time at 18.
1. yes
2. get both
3. Only on the first day it sucks really
4. They put me to sleep. Woke up in my room with gauze in my mouth. I hardly remember being dragged to the car or the ride home. Funny thing is that i pulled an all nighter before my operation, so going to sleep was no problem
5. One of my teeth was a special case, so it was 1.5 weeks of slight pain in that corner when i chew food. The rest were "normal" and 2-3 days. The day of operation sucks the most but then later learned how to chew food from the front.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Get 'em all pulled.

I had all mine pulled (same time) when I was 17.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#22]
This, have them done all at once and be done with them.

Quoted:

I had all 4 of mine removed when I was 22, 22 years later I don't miss them at all.

MPD165
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I had my guts taken out, cut up, sewed back together and put back in a few months ago.

Wisdom teeth are easy peasy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I went all castaway on one of my wisdom teeth. Had no insurance and no money so, I cracked it, and pulled out the pieces. yes it hurt, but it was free.

Stop being a pansy and go to the dentist.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MPD165

I love my aftermarket choppers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My questions are thus:
View Quote

Go to an oral surgeon and let them put you out.   They do this for a living.and experience matters.   You will wake up and not even realize you were out.  Propofol is a hell of a drug.  Get them all done at once and get all the suck over with.  It will suck somewhat afterward.  Expect to be sore for a few days.  Vicodin or percocet will fix that but honestly 800 mg of ibuprofen should work ok.  Save the narcotics for bedtime.   I would plan on being out of work the day after just because you can.  I had mine done and was back in class taking a test the same day.

From what you say about the position of them, getting them out is a no brainer.

Every surgery has risks, blah blah blah.   The alternative is waiting until they cause a problem and you have to drop everything and get them out anyway.  Walk or run, your choice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Paging Drsaleee
Do it.
Had all 4 of mine done about 3 years ago; no sedation, just shots. No big deal really; then again mine weren't impacted, bone wrapped, etc. I think in those cases you have to go to a oral surgeon.

It also makes cleaning the rear a lot easier.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Had the same situation on one side of my mouth.  Ignored it because it did not hurt.  Then after several years, a little discomfort.  Wisdom tooth fine.  Tooth in front needed a root canal and a crown.  So the wisdom tooth came out first.  The a week later the root canal process.  I spent a month with people shoving their hands in my mouth,   On top of the expected pain, my jaw was sore from being pried open every week.  

If you wait until you turn 40 it becomes worse.  Get it done now and save your other teeth.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#29]
If the dentist went to a respectable medical school you should probably take their advice instead of a bunch of basement dwellers on the internet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Had 4 wisdom teeth, 2 impacted (when they are pushing into the adjacent teeth like yours) removed in one shot around the same age.
Same day sucked after drugs wore off.  Groggy, sore, disoriented, weak.

Next day up and around minimal swelling, tender but not painful.  That afternoon I was out running errands but taking it easy.

Had to rinse with a syringe of saline solution to keep clean and be careful chewing and brushing for a while but they healed up fine and all was well.

No more aching jaw or periodic gum irritation/infections.

Do it.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I got mine all out at once. The relief from the pain I had was worth the temporary discomfort of having them cut out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Yank them.  I was missing my upper wisdom teeth.  The lowers, when they came in cut into the soft tissue of my mouth.  I guess since I was out of real estate.  The pain they caused was awful.  I only needed local anesthetic since they were exposed and the Doc just yanked them.  Recovery was maybe 7 days or more.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#33]
If you smoke, insist on getting a few stitches per, to avoid a dry socket. Heals right, right away.

Found this out the hard way, bottom two impacted, oral surgeon, all four at once, at age 26.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If the dentist went to a respectable medical school you should probably take their advice instead of a bunch of basement dwellers on the internet.
View Quote

Dentists don't go to medical school.  They go to dental school.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Go to an oral surgeon and let them put you out.   They do this for a living.and experience matters.   You will wake up and not even realize you were out.  Propofol is a hell of a drug.  Get them all done at once and get all the suck over with.  It will suck somewhat afterward.  Expect to be sore for a few days.  Vicodin or percocet will fix that but honestly 800 mg of ibuprofen should work ok.  Save the narcotics for bedtime.   I would plan on being out of work the day after just because you can.  I had mine done and was back in class taking a test the same day.

Every surgery has risks, blah blah blah.   The alternative is waiting until they cause a problem and you have to drop everything and get them out anyway.  Walk or run, your choice.
View Quote

This sums it up nicely, and is more or less what I was going to suggest. Go to an oral surgeon, especially if they are impacted as you say.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Bite the bullet, get put under and get it taken care of.  You are going to do it sooner or later.  Might as well do it before you suffer through years of pressure head aches.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
 It's different for everyone.  My friend looked like a chipmunk after he had his done was out for a couple of days.  Mine were impacted, dentist beat the shit out of me and I went to the guns and roses concert that night.

Get it done, you will get better.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

this.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My questions are thus:
Should I fo and let someone dig around in my mouth? Yes
Should I get both lowers done in one go or wait to see if the other one will cause problems? No. I believe its cost effective to do both now, rather than two separately.
How much does getting a wisdom tooth pulled suck? It depends on if you are awake. I had one removed several years ago and I was conscious. It sucked. I could feel all the vibrations and they had to give me more local anesthetic because I could start to feel the pain halfway through the procedure. I just had the other three out on Friday (I was under local anesthetic so I remember nothing) and the pain is annoying but not horrible. The worst part is not eating solid food. Yesterday was the first day I could eat solid food (and it had to be pretty soft), and I still look like a chipmunk.
I would be put under for the operation, which I have never experienced before. What should I expect? You'll get NO2 (laughing gas--at least I think it is NO2), then an IV, then you'' be asleep in a few seconds (for me it took 10seconds--I had my watch running and last thing I remember was 00:10:##). You'll wake up confused and pretty doped up. I was able to walk unassisted, but was not in any condition to drive (I locked my carry up as a safety measure, too). Who knows if you'll be able to walk or not.
What can I expect as far as pain and recovery time after the operation? See above.
View Quote

See the blue.

Also I am 21 as well, and my teeth were impacted (so if yours are not, you may have a speedier recovery). I didn't use of of the Vicodin that they prescribed me--only pain meds I've used were Ibuprofen and it has been more the sufficient.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Getting teeth pulled is really not a big fucking deal at all...I'm getting set up for partial dentures and have had 10 teeth pulled and havent been put under for any of them.

Seriously don't be a pussy about it...And also you shouldn't be paying more than $100 per tooth pulled....Extractions are easy work for dentists
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Yank em.  Prepare for the fun!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My questions are thus:

Yay for death!

Especially once you make the victim patient sign their life away, it's like legalized murder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm getting all four of mine yanked next month. For free, thankfully.

Better to just get it done than to have to deal with all of the issues later.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Had both lowers cut out at once, was not put under.

Felt like crap the next 24 hours.

Had the upper two pulled, not cut out, was not put under.

Went to work that afternoon, hated life, but was functional.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#46]
have an oral surgeon do it, not a dentist.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And get the nitrous oxide during.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get all 4 yanked, $1200ish, enjoy the vicodin for a few days. I was fine within a day or so.

And get the nitrous oxide during.

Always.......

"I'm feeling very nervous........"
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Get them all done at once.  Go to an oral surgeon if they're impacted.  I would recommend general anesthesia instead of local if they're impacted.  

I had all 4 done at once, 2 were impacted.  It's kind of a strange sensation having them drilled and cracked and broken apart while you're still awake, which is why I recommend being knocked out.

I had pain for a couple of days, but the Vicodin took care of it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Go to an oral surgeon and get put out. Have them all done at once. The anesthetic is the expensive part so getting it all done at once is more cost effective. When I had mine done they gave me the anesthetic then I woke up, all done. People told me I would be out of it and in serious pain all weekend. I was driven home and was fine. Biggest pain in the ass is keeping the sockets clean.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Get them pulled . I waited longed than I should and have issues as a result . also go ahead and get all 4 done at once . I was over 50 when I had mine done
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top