Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:54:57 PM EDT
http://nypost.com/2014/07/19/why-nycs-push-to-change-school-admissions-will-punish-poor-asians/

For more than 70 years, admission to these schools has been based upon a competitive examination of math, verbal and logical reasoning skills. In 1971, the state legislature, heading off city efforts to scrap the merit selection test as culturally biased against minorities, reaffirmed that admission to the schools be based on the competitive exam.

But now, troubled by declining black and Hispanic enrollment at the schools, opponents of the exam have resurfaced. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund has filed a civil-rights complaint challenging the admissions process. A bill in Albany to eliminate the test requirement has garnered the support of Sheldon Silver, the powerful Assembly speaker.

And new Mayor Bill de Blasio, whose son, Dante, attends Brooklyn Tech, has called for changing the admissions criteria. The mayor argues that relying solely on the test creates a "rich-get-richer” dynamic that benefits the wealthy, who can afford expensive test preparation.

As Ting’s story illustrates, however, the reality is just the opposite. It’s not affluent whites, but rather the city’s burgeoning population of Asian-American immigrants — a group that, despite its successes, remains disproportionately poor and working-class — whose children have aced the exam in overwhelming numbers.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
from the article
To modern “progressive” elites, though, the story is intolerable, starting with the hard work. These liberal elites seem particularly troubled by the Asian-American work ethic and the difficult questions that it raises about the role of culture in group success.
View Quote

Bunch of hypocrites!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
So it is racist to say some minorities don't do well because of race but other minorities do well due to race isn't racist. I'm confused, are the Asians using their Asian privilege to get ahead, because I was taught that only whites had privilege.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So it is racist to say some minorities don't do well because of race but other minorities do well due to race isn't racist. I'm confused, are the Asians using their Asian privilege to get ahead, because I was taught that only whites had privilege.
View Quote

In affirmative action land, Asian = White.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

http://nypost.com/2014/07/19/why-nycs-push-to-change-school-admissions-will-punish-poor-asians/

View Quote

For more than 70 years, admission to these schools has been based upon a competitive examination of math, verbal and logical reasoning skills. In 1971, the state legislature, heading off city efforts to scrap the merit selection test as culturally biased against minorities, reaffirmed that admission to the schools be based on the competitive exam.

But now, troubled by declining black and Hispanic enrollment at the schools, opponents of the exam have resurfaced. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund has filed a civil-rights complaint challenging the admissions process. A bill in Albany to eliminate the test requirement has garnered the support of Sheldon Silver, the powerful Assembly speaker.

And new Mayor Bill de Blasio, whose son, Dante, attends Brooklyn Tech, has called for changing the admissions criteria. The mayor argues that relying solely on the test creates a "rich-get-richer” dynamic that benefits the wealthy, who can afford expensive test preparation.

As Ting’s story illustrates, however, the reality is just the opposite. It’s not affluent whites, but rather the city’s burgeoning population of Asian-American immigrants — a group that, despite its successes, remains disproportionately poor and working-class — whose children have aced the exam in overwhelming numbers.

FOR THE MOST PART, Asians vote knee jerk democrat.  Let them reap what they have sown.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

FOR THE MOST PART, Asians vote knee jerk democrat.  Let them reap what they have sown.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elections have consequences.  No pity for those that vote for their own demise.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
"Over" represented minorities of Asian descent are considered privileged, regardless of income or social status, due to their successful academic performances.  
"Under" represented minorities are allowed to circumvent merit based admissions requirements, and are also eligible to receive many race based (as opposed to merit based) scholarships and grants.
eta: Check out the University of California's admissions requirements based on ethnicity.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a first generation Asian American, I have to agree with you.
From what I can see, I bet 2/3+ of Asians vote for liberal democrats.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Yellow is the new white.

Lots more stories there than Orange is the new Black.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All my Asian friends vote democrat. They are very educated and successful.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any insights on why .......

honestly curious .... of my Asian friends they are very right wing leaning a little too authoritarian for my likes but that may be a regional thing  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did martial arts for years, which resulted in me being familiar with the local Asian community.  Long story, and yes I know all Asians don't do martial arts  Anyways, point of the story...They talked like conservatives, they acted like conservatives, had the same values as conservatives, I could go on and on...BUT they voted Democrat almost without fail.  I really never understood it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

honestly curious .... of my Asian friends they are very right wing leaning a little too authoritarian for my likes but that may be a regional thing  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

could be a regional thing.  most of the Asians that i know and work with are from blue states.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't realize Asians were a homogenous population.

My wife is Korean, and my experience is that if they vote they tend to vote conservative. This makes sense to me since Christianity is very prevalent amongst the Korean population, but like everyone else in this thread I am only going off of a convenience sample.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Most people don't know the first thing about politics or civics in general and they will vote however their parents voted or however most of their friends vote, just to fit in.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My wife is Korean, and my experience is that if they vote they tend to vote conservative. This makes sense to me since Christianity is very prevalent amongst the Korean population, but like everyone else in this thread I am only going off of a convenience sample.
View Quote

My Chinese friends use the term Asian very loosely.  So i follow their lead, so i don't offend anybody.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#16]
As Mr. Burns would say...

Excelllennt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Heh.  The left has finally pitted the 'minorities' against each other in some rather interesting ways, the last couple years.  They might want to be careful with that, they figure it out and the left just might get eaten.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I did martial arts for years, which resulted in me being familiar with the local Asian community.  Long story, and yes I know all Asians don't do martial arts  Anyways, point of the story...They talked like conservatives, they acted like conservatives, had the same values as conservatives, I could go on and on...BUT they voted Democrat almost without fail.  I really never understood it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see that a lot among Asians too...talking like conservative but voting democratic.
I think it has a lot to do with their history and how they were helped by US.
A lot of older Chinese folks are thankful to US for defeating the Japanese in WW II...by Democratic President FDR and Truman
A lot of older Korean folks are thankful to US for getting UN involved and saving South Korea from North Korea and Chinese...by Democratic President Truman
A lot of older Vietnamese folks are thankful to US for getting involved in the fight against the VC and north Vietnam...by Democratic President Kennedy and Johnson...while the Republican Nixon give up the fight and betrayed ARVN.

just my theory off the top of my head.

What do I know, I'm a conservative Republican redneck from the South

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My Chinese friends use the term Asian very loosely.  So i follow their lead, so i don't offend anybody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is fine in many instances, but using the term Asian is an overly generalized term to make broad political/social characterizations with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Gov wasting resources on dumber students and letting the talented ones fend for themselves just means less competition for my kids one day.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Asians get punished for not pushing back like other minority groups do...

Asians are more apt to work harder and move forward regardless of politics.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true at all.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Majority of Koreans I know are Christians but almost all Chinese and Vietnamese I know are Buddhist.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true at all.
What percentage voted for Obama?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Gov wasting resources on dumber students and letting the talented ones fend for themselves just means less competition for my kids one day.

http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/tard-grumpy-cat-good-sad-13529885618.jpg

View Quote

Except when the government forces companies to hire minorities instead of your kids.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Probably vote Dem because the states that have the highest Asian populations also tend the be more liberal and they are surrounded by it.

Highest Asian populations are in Hawaii and the west coast states, then there's NY, NJ and MA.

Plus they probably view Dems as pro-immigration and Republicans as  anti-immigration.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Almost every Democrat I know is also a Christian.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#29]
So if the NAACP wants to throw money at the problem would it not be a better idea for them to offer classes in parenting to those black parents so they stimulate their children to ace those entrance exams just like the Asian children do?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#30]
They want to replace testing based admissions because there are insufficient  opportunities for graft.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Asian Sensation!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#33]
My father thinks it's because in Asian's simplistic view of Democratic and Republican party.
They tend to view the Republican part as the party of the rich white people and the Democratic party as the party for the poor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that is a convenience sample.  Christianity by itself is not going to be a causal variable, but coupled with the intensity of their adherence to a particular form of Christianity in the aggregate it should show a trend in a particular group supporting conservatives.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My father thinks it's because in Asian's simplistic view of Democratic and Republican party.
They tend to view the Republican part as the party of the rich white people and the Democratic party as the party for the poor.
View Quote
I think you're in the ballpark.

Ever since some one posted a video on r vs. k selection and it's correlation to politics...mind blown. Think it was Bill Whittle broadcast.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

nice Stereotype...

F Obama
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Gosh! We better check with Al Sharpton and see what he has to say.

Truth is, much of Black and Hispanic culture doesn't appreciate education. If they did there would be more Blacks and Hispanics in the school. Yes. It really IS that simple.

This is never going to end until we stop propping up failure.

If you DO admit a number of blacks and Hispanics based on race then one of two things will happen.

A disproportionate number of Blacks and Hispanics will flunk out.

Most likely this will be followed by the school dumbing down the courses to make everything "fair" to get Brother Jesse and Bobbleheaded Al off their backs.

That brings us back to Square One.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Laugh, you bastards but there's a lot to be said here.

Many Asian parents come here without much education but will tolerate nothing but the best from their kids. They may not know the difference between a piss test, a blood test and an SAT test but they DO know that anything less than an A isn't a good thing.

Having A+ blood will possibly save some poor kid from having to explain blood types to an irate father.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

nice Stereotype...

F Obama
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice Stereotype...

F Obama

Not really.
A lot (I didn't say all) of older immigrants don't really understand the two party system due to language barrier and it's not something they grew up with in the old country.
To them it's something very complicated so they try to simplify it to a bare-bone system they can understand...thus party of rich and party of poor.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And that is a convenience sample.  Christianity by itself is not going to be a causal variable, but coupled with the intensity of their adherence to a particular form of Christianity in the aggregate it should show a trend in a particular group supporting conservatives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a larger sample size than "wife" unless you are a Mormon.  

Broken down to denominational affiliation, the survey found that 23 percent of Republicans and 27 percent of Democrats are Catholic; 36 percent of Republicans and 31 percent of Democrats are non-mainline Protestants; and 21 percent of Republicans and 13 percent of Democrats are mainline Protestants.

71% of Democrats are of one of those Christian denominations, that is a pretty significant majority.   In fact, due to the fact that more voters are Democrat than Republican, it means that the pure number of Christian Democrat voters may be greater than the number of Cristian Republican voters.

"Committed Christian voters are not at all the monolithic right-wing voting bloc portrayed by media. In fact, tens of millions of born again voters align with the 'blue' party," Kinnaman commented. "Even though Republicans continue to attract born-again Christians in greater numbers, they lose some of their advantage because they are a smaller group of voters than Democrats. In addition, recent elections have galvanized Democrats’ attention on the faith vote. Republicans are hardly assured of mustering the substantial margins of born again voters they enjoyed in past elections.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/how-does-the-faith-of-republicans-democrats-measure-up-26175/
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Maybe you should actually read the entirety of my statement, where I admitted that my original assertion was a convenience sample.  Or did you purposely misread my statement so you could earn some internet coolguy points?

71% of Democrats are of one of those Christian denominations, that is a pretty significant majority.   In fact, due to the fact that more voters are Democrat than Republican, it means that the pure number of Christian Democrat voters may be greater than the number of Cristian Republican voters.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/how-does-the-faith-of-republicans-democrats-measure-up-26175/
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maybe you should actually read the entirety of my statement, where I admitted that my original assertion was a convenience sample.  Or did you purposely misread my statement so you could earn some internet coolguy points?

Broken down to denominational affiliation, the survey found that 23 percent of Republicans and 27 percent of Democrats are Catholic; 36 percent of Republicans and 31 percent of Democrats are non-mainline Protestants; and 21 percent of Republicans and 13 percent of Democrats are mainline Protestants.

"Committed Christian voters are not at all the monolithic right-wing voting bloc portrayed by media. In fact, tens of millions of born again voters align with the 'blue' party," Kinnaman commented. "Even though Republicans continue to attract born-again Christians in greater numbers, they lose some of their advantage because they are a smaller group of voters than Democrats. In addition, recent elections have galvanized Democrats’ attention on the faith vote. Republicans are hardly assured of mustering the substantial margins of born again voters they enjoyed in past elections.

You do realize that you are cherry picking the article to prove your point?  The article also states,

Republicans still have the favor of evangelical Christians. Evangelicals, based on Barna’s 9-point evangelical definition, are committed to the Republican Party over the Democrats 59 percent to 16 percent.

So like I said above, the level and character of their belief is going to correlate.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You do realize that you are cherry picking the article to prove your point?  The article also states,

So like I said above, the level and character of their belief is going to correlate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Republicans still have the favor of evangelical Christians. Evangelicals, based on Barna’s 9-point evangelical definition, are committed to the Republican Party over the Democrats 59 percent to 16 percent.

Not at all.  My point is that most Democrats are Christian, and the numbers of Democratic and Christian voters is likely similar.  The particular variety of Christianity is obviously going to vary, as was mentioned in the part I quoted.  It also shows that Catholics, like many of the Koreans you mentioned  are more likely to vote Democrat. Just saw that in the US Catholics make up a much smaller portion of Christians than in Korea.

ETA: Yes, I did read the entirety of your statement and was making a joke about it, thus the smiley.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Wife is asian and a physician / specialist.

She's told me stories about how testing/projects and scores were at times graded on a curve or discarded/changed because they practically HAD to get a few of the other minorities through the program. Asians ironically weren't ever considered disadvantaged because they regularly excelled.

The only thing that saves you from these lowest common denominator idiots seeing you and your family when you go to the hospital is the medical board certification. Since being married to her I'm lucky because she tells me which one of her friends/referrals to go see. However, knowing what I do now, I'd never go see a doctor or a specialist that isn't board certified in their specialty or that is a long-term locum tenans there because chances are....there's a reason.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the GOP is seen as the party of white christian types and the Klan.  

Some of that is a tar and feather job by their enemies and some of it is because of how they act.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top