Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For anything other than handgun hunting I would say it's obsolete.

Pocket carry as well. The smooth and rounded shape of a hammerless snubbie works better than any auto in this role. I only own one revolver (a 642-1) and this is the reason I own it.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/articles/2009/11/shots-fired-palm-desert-california-03-30-1996.aspx

Nobody (including me) said it should be your only/primary gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Heck no.

If you've ever watched someone who really knows how to use a revolver they are a loooong way from being poorly armed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Let's see...

Goes click-bang!..Projectile flies...makes hole in something.

Nope, not obsolete.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let's see...

Goes click-bang!..Projectile flies...makes hole in something.

Nope, not obsolete.
View Quote

Go find the huge thread where RustedAce discusses why the halberd remains the best choice for home defense.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Obsolete =/= no longer viable for use as intended.

The revolver has been obsolete for a long time, but is still a perfectly good option for a defensive firearm.
View Quote
This.

Revolvers are still useful, but the areas where they are the best choice have greatly reduced.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pocket carry as well. The smooth and rounded shape of a hammerless snubbie works better than any auto in this role. I only own one revolver (a 642-1) and this is the reason I own it.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/articles/2009/11/shots-fired-palm-desert-california-03-30-1996.aspx

The converse of that story is tha the suspect shot the cop 5 times (by my count) and the cop survived as well. So the cop shot the suspect 4 times, the suspect shot the cop 5 times and no one died.

The cop also had the misfortune of his position, which was to be in a gun fight at a distance of over 30 feet with a snub nosed revolver.

Looking at any one incident is anecdotal. This guy didn't win his gun fight with a snub nosed revolver, but you can find stories of people who did, just as you can find stories of people with autos who lost and won gunfights.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The cop also had the misfortune of his position, which was to be in a gun fight at a distance of over 30 feet with a snub nosed revolver.

View Quote

And yet still scored 4/5.

CTC Lasergrips are a useful addition to these guns as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Manage to take second place in Production Division at the last two local USPSA matches shooting a revolver.  Fun beating the bottom feeders with the round gun.  I carry a J-frame; compete and hunt with an N-frame.  Obsolete? Maybe, but far from useless.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Obsolete for what?

For EDC? Depends on your concealment needs. For a super easy to conceal gun you can always have with nearly any attire, a snub .38 with a good load is better than a .32 or .380 auto. Depending on the grip profile it might be easier to conceal than a subcompact 9/.40, or even a slim subcompact like the shield which I'm a fan of. Sure, everyone would like to carry a auto pistol with 8/13/15 +1 rounds of .45/.40/9mm. That said, a chief's special loaded with 6 rounds of +p you have with you is better than a Glock 23 you left back home because you couldn't conceal it under your outfit.

Service pistol? Yes. If I'm at exceptional enough risk of a fight that I'm going to carry a service pistol it's going to be either a S&W M&P or Glock. Even with a "compact" Glock 23 you get >2x the rounds before your first reload. Hell even a 1911 which most consider obsolete itself gives you half again the rounds.

Hunting? No way. There are numerous hunting applications where a revolver in .44 mag or larger will always be king. Auto pistols can be built in serious large game calibers but not as cost effectively as revolvers.

ETA: I don't use revolvers for anything and my EDC is a shield .40. I plan on my next gun purchase being a M&P 40 full size to use as my night stand gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#12]
NO........
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, just look at the 1911
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obsolete =/= no longer viable for use as intended.

The revolver has been obsolete for a long time, but is still a perfectly good option for a defensive firearm.
Exactly, obsolete does not mean ineffective.

Yep, just look at the 1911

What you did there, I seez it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I carried a 4" S&W 357 magnum with 158gr Hornady XTPs over a good charge of H110 this weekend backpacking. I put a speed strip in my pocket to accompany it. I don't think a revolver is obsolete at all for the vast majority of situations where a civilian may need a defensive firearm.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but none of his hits was in the sweet spot. Is that because he was shooting farther away or a scared guy shooting in a gun fight? Or a combination?

Also, the bad guy with the Glock 17 didn't do any better, although he may have had enough ammo left over to execute the cop once the cop was out of the fight and threw his gun down (an ENORMOUS mistake).

Would this gun fight have gone the cop' sway if he had more rounds to keep fighting? I don't know. Obviously having more shots is better, but to say that if this cop had a bigger pistol then the fight would have turned out differently is speculation.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Great post OP!

For police, soldier, security work I believe they are obsolete if that is your MAIN/PRIMARY arm.

As a secondary, back up or hunting weapon they fill that slot as well as they ever.  Better than auto's in the hunting department.

At CHL classes I sometimes put on a demonstration with a revolver to emphasize how much training negates "superior" equipment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Geez I hope not, my latest toy is a 642 that I got solely to carry love my Glocks, but that Airweight carrys a shit ton easier out here in the desert. It's supposed to hit 109 today, the Smith fades away in cargo shorts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The converse of that story is tha the suspect shot the cop 5 times (by my count) and the cop survived as well. So the cop shot the suspect 4 times, the suspect shot the cop 5 times and no one died.

Looking at any one incident is anecdotal. This guy didn't win his gun fight with a snub nosed revolver, but you can find stories of people who did, just as you can find stories of people with autos who lost and won gunfights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stopped carrying a J-frame over a year ago because of that situation.  Replaced it with a Kahr CM9.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]
If a semi can shoot a full power 44 Mag load (which is the "weakest" of the big game revolver ammo), then yes.

The DE doesn't count because it's a finicky bitch that can't shoot lead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, they've been supplanted by better designs for most uses. Not all. Most.

I still love them to death. Just because something is obsolete, doesn't mean it isn't useful. It also doesn't mean they're worthless all of a sudden. Obsolete isn't a bad word.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I stopped carrying a J-frame over a year ago because of that situation.  Replaced it with a Kahr CM9.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Oddly enough, I replaced a PM9 with a 642 because the PM9 had issues (barrel hood peening and repeated magazine follower breakage) and I didn't think 5 versus 7 rounds was enough to worry about and the 642 was a much smoother draw from a variety of pockets. I have an entire fleet of 9mm Glocks to choose from in the "other than pocket carry" category.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I personally don't believe it's the most efficient way to defend yourself if you're carrying one for self defense or keep one in your home for home defense. If you choose not to opt for a more efficient package/tool to defend yourself with, well by all means do so. I'll stick with my 17 + 1 9mm semi-auto that can also use a 21 round spare mag.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Failure in training. The officer carried his gun in his wife's purse and had no reload. Swapping over to a CM9 with no reload wouldn't change the event.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#27]
You notice nobody ever seems to ask the question "how many 100's of rounds do I need to fire through my revolver until I can trust it?"

Obviously not obsolete and in many ways superior to the pistol. From my perspective, the pistol has a very narrow niche to fill and the revolver is far more versatile.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You notice nobody ever seems to ask the question "how many 100's of rounds do I need to fire through my revolver until I can trust it?"

Obviously not obsolete and in many ways superior to the pistol. From my perspective, the pistol has a very narrow niche to fill and the revolver is far more versatile.
View Quote

No, revolver owners are saying how many 100's of rounds I can fire through it until it goes out of time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Revolvers are still great for people who don't want to put in the time to learn an automatic. They also make great pocket guns.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You notice nobody ever seems to ask the question "is 17 rounds of ammo in a single mag for my carry pistol enough?" Everything has pros and cons. If you shoot avidly, the question you pose is a non issue because you'd already know whether your pistol is reliable or not. The fact that probably 99% of law enforcement officers use a semi-auto high capacity pistol should tell you your assertion that semi-autos fill a very narrow niche is one hell of a fantasy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I love my wheel guns but they are not my choice for carry.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Full Definition of OBSOLETE

a :  no longer in use or no longer useful <an obsolete word>

On that count, no.

b :  of a kind or style no longer current :  old-fashioned <an obsolete technology>

On that count, only for  combat ( and then only some types, by some users).

Gratuitous N frame pics follow

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No, revolver owners are saying how many 100's of rounds I can fire through it until it goes out of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you had this happen?  If so, how many rounds did it take and what revolver?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Obsolete?  No.

Ineffective against members of the FSA army in the middle of the ghetto?  Yes.

Like every firearm it has it's place.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Yes a shotgun is more effective against bears than a .500 S&W Magnum revolver; so for that matter is a large caliber rifle.

If only this thread had been about the effectiveness of shotguns rather than a comparison between the utility of revolvers and semi automatic pistols.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Have you had this happen?  If so, how many rounds did it take and what revolver?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1975 Colt Python, about 15k.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Nay my friend.  I'll part with any other handgun before a revolver.  
They are much more fun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Until someone makes an auto I can fire from my coat pocket, no, they are not obsolete.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You notice nobody ever seems to ask the question "is 17 rounds of ammo in a single mag for my carry pistol enough?" Everything has pros and cons. If you shoot avidly, the question you pose is a non issue because you'd already know whether your pistol is reliable or not. The fact that probably 99% of law enforcement officers use a semi-auto high capacity pistol should tell you your assertion that semi-autos fill a very narrow niche is one hell of a fantasy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but you never carry an auto with a single mag, regardless of how many rounds are in it due to the fact that if you have a failure you need another mag to get back into the fight after clearing your gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Is a 1911a1 obsolete because it doesn't carry more than 7+1? Not obsolete at all. Seriously, wheel guns just aren't "cool". Not on TV with the ninjas enough.

I have an SP101 tricked by Chuck Weigand's shop (old gun). If it's kissing distance, what happens when the auto gets shoved into a target's gut? I think it's called out-of-battery. Wheel gun goes bang. It isn't what's in my hand that you should fear.....It's what's in my head.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ounce for ounce the revolver is way more powerful than a pistol.

There's no comparison of the common .357 and .44 magnum ballistics against those of the 9 mm/.40/.45.
View Quote

It may be just my bias but the average GD poster seems to be pretty sensitive to recoil.  I think that may have something to do with the GD opinion regarding revolvers.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It may be just my bias but the average GD poster seems to be pretty sensitive to recoil.  I think that may have something to do with the GD opinion regarding revolvers.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no comparison of the common .357 and .44 magnum ballistics against those of the 9 mm/.40/.45.

Heavy revolvers with 8" barrels have no recoil. At least not for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Six or five is still a lot better than 0 or 17 at home.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not quite sure you know much about quality revolvers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes, but you never carry an auto with a single mag, regardless of how many rounds are in it due to the fact that if you have a failure you need another mag to get back into the fight after clearing your gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My implication was that there was a massive advantage to having 17 + 1 rounds (or a similar number) on tap vs 5-6. I always carry a spare mag for a total of 37 rounds (19 round spare in my case).
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .454 and S&W 500 will peg your fun meter pretty quick but they are LOTS of fun!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only have three.

357 Python
357 DW 715
44 MAG SW Stealth Hunter

I don't know if those are good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you are shooting some weak shit!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#50]
If you have a functioning firearm that you can get ammunition for, it is not obsolete.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top