Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I lived across the river and was in middle school or grade school when this happened.  A lot of our parents worked in NYC, and many had to travel into the city on a regular basis.

The general consensus I saw was
that Goetz was justified in the shooting,
the media accounts were very biased,
fleeing the state was going to greatly hurt his case,
and that he was going to be screwed at trial regardless of whether he fled.

But, I was a kid, so take it for what it's worth.

NYC was pretty pro-crime at the time.  If you made enough excuses for it, it sort of made the crimes ok, tolerable, and so forth.  Oh, yes, and "there's nothing intimidating about 4 youths backing you into a corner and pointing flat head screwdrivers at you '[politely] asking for money'; only an irrational nut would perceive this as a threat."
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
If he had kept his mouth shut ,i.e., NOT given interviews to the media,he would have been acquitted.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I had a non-stop erection while that whole thing was going on. No cell phones back then, so I had to make sure I was near a phone booth every four hours to call my doctor. But I only called him because I like to brag.

That said, in all seriousness, I was glad to see someone finally getting fed up and taking care of business.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hero of the people, enemy of the state.
View Quote

This

FUCK NEW YORK and FUCK 0bama

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#5]
According to Wiki "In 1996, one of the shot men, who had been left paraplegic and brain damaged as a result of his injuries, obtained a civil judgment of $43 million against Goetz"

Well, that's fucked.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He was a hero to most of Free America.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Goetz surrendered in Concord, NH.

Millions of New Yawkers wondered where in the hell New Hampshire was, took out a map, and found it.  They thought it might be a nice place to visit.  Some bought homes there, and some even moved to New Hampshire.  

Nice fucking job, Goetz.  Why couldn't you surrender in Massachusetts?

Anyway Goetz put a welcome spotlight on the out-of-control crime problem in NYC.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]
You came to GD to ask that?

You trollin....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Around here, the consensus was that he quit shooting to soon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#11]
rational adults thought he had the right to defend himself and really didn't care after that.

bigots cheered him for 'striking a blow against the enemy,' and turned him into a hero.

kinda like george Z.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I thought he should have been given an award.
View Quote

and paid a large bounty
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Rational adults think POS armed robbers are "the enemy."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
rational adults thought he had the right to defend himself and really didn't care after that.

bigots cheered him for 'striking a blow against the enemy,' and turned him into a hero.

kinda like george Z.

LOL. yeah they think that, too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kinda like george Z.

And those rational adults would be correct.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I was in college and I couldn't understand what he'd done wrong, other than not finishing them off.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Around here the "sentiment" was, Good job, get some more.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#19]
From the wiki:

In March 1985, soon after being released from hospitalization for treatment of his gunshot wound, James Ramseur falsely reported to police that two men hired by Goetz had kidnapped and attempted to kill him, but was not charged in this hoax. In May 1985, Ramseur held a gun while an associate raped, sodomized and robbed a pregnant 18-year-old woman on the rooftop of a Bronx building, and in 1986 was sentenced to 8? to 25 years in prison. According to the New York State Department of Corrections inmate search site, Ramseur served his sentence and was released in July 2010. Ramseur was found dead of a drug overdose, in an apparent suicide, in a Bronx motel room on December 22, 2011, the 27th anniversary of the incident on the No. 2 train.

Barry Allen committed two robberies after the shooting, the first a 1986 chain snatching in the elevator of the building where he lived. The second arrest, in May 1991, brought him a sentence of three and a half to seven years for probation violation and third degree robbery. He was released on parole in December 1995.

After a number of minor arrests for petty offenses, Troy Canty was ordered to undergo an 18-month drug treatment program at a rehabilitation center, which he completed in 1989. He was later charged with assault, robbery, and resisting arrest in an altercation with his common-law wife in August 1996 but was not convicted and did not serve time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
According to Wiki "In 1996, one of the shot men, who had been left paraplegic and brain damaged as a result of his injuries, obtained a civil judgment of $43 million against Goetz"
View Quote

Mad times those were.

Oh, speaking of which - March 2014:
Convicted mass murderer of 7 receives 450 thousand dollars because he was "mistreated".
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He should have lawyered up, but instead he made those damaging statements to the police after the shooting.
Eta: Even though he beat the charges except the weapons charges, he never should have made those statements.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think a lot is where you lived in the country at that time.
Here in Texas most thought good shoot.
View Quote

I lived 40 miles from where it happened and everyone here thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, that's fucked.
View Quote

Supposedly Goetz never paid any of it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I would say demographically the opinions were split similar to the Zimmermann self defense shooting!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

On NatGeo's 80's mini series, they even showed black people cheering him on and saying he was totally justified.  That wouldn't happen today.

View Quote

True, especially now after how Obama has brought us all together with his brotherly love policies and his media statements on issues like this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#26]
That's when I first learned how screwed up our justice system really was

because they took that case to trial.

First you gotta fight off the bad guys, then you have to fight off the gov't.

Might as well just keep shooting until they stop chasing you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Same shit you see today with zimmerman.  Media biased as hell against him, liberals calling him a murderer, ,most people thinking he did the world a public service.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top