Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/22/2014 9:20:14 AM EDT
That is all.

If you already have one, my condolences on your noob cannon, they fit nicely into the trash next to the AKs.  Maybe you can sell it to an even noobier noob if you have no moral compass.

Next time don't kid yourself into thinking you are smarter than Eugene Stoner.  You aren't.

You are not different.  You are not special.  Gas piston ARs are dumber than shit.

You're welcome.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#2]
You mad bro?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I find your input relevant and socially important.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#4]
pretty good cast, but the bait is sinking rapidly
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]
In before the purchase defenders.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep your weapon lubricated , you're feet dry and a classic AR will serve you well
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You mad bro?
View Quote

I'm perfectly calm dude.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never felt the need for it but that might change once I get my cans.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Meh, I think they are cool, other than the fact that you turn one of the biggest advantages of the design into a disadvantage (having to use several proprietary parts.)  If there was some type of standardized piston system, it would be a different story, but the fact that every mfr. has their own take on it, it really turns me off to the idea.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#12]
500 Million Chinese disagree with you.

And at least one Merican.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Ran a Haley Strategic 3 day class this past Fri, Sat, Sun.  Multiple piston guns in class that ran flawlessly.  I do not own a piston gun to clarify.  They had no probs. getting hits out to 600yds.  Have been in multiple classes with piston guns that ran fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Meh....

Adjustable gas systems are awesome, but a piston PDW upper is bad ass suppressed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Behold the ultimate noob cannon.  I can smell the deformed battery terminals, broken Pmag lips, and the bolt lug stress cracks from here.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got both.

LWRC and SCAR are just as reliable as Noveske, Colt and LaRue.

They do run cleaner and cooler than DI but I really don't have a preference.

OP seems mad he spent money on a bubba-piston.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#17]
My POFs and Scars with cans on them are awesome noob
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That is all.

If you already have one, my condolences on your noob cannon, they fit nicely into the trash next to the AKs.  Maybe you can sell it to an even noobier noob if you have no moral compass.

Next time don't kid yourself into thinking you are smarter than Eugene Stoner.  You aren't.

You are not different.  You are not special.  Gas piston ARs are dumber than shit.

You're welcome.
View Quote

In for the shitstorm and butthurt
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#19]
But DI shits where it eats, esse!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The back pressure comes from the can (back through the barrel), not the DI system.

Derpsniper

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Agree
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I understand the usefulness of adjustable gas systems, but you can get those on a DI gun.

I saw a piston upper lock up once when the op rod somehow jammed in the rearward position.  I'll stick to DI.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#23]
OP made a shit choice and now is trying to steer everyone from it.

Like the guy who wrecked his Lamborghini because he had no idea what he's doing behind the steering wheel... then proceeds to tell everyone off from buying one and how shit they are.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I've got both.

LWRC and SCAR are just as reliable as Noveske, Colt and LaRue.

They do run cleaner and cooler than DI but I really don't have a preference.

OP seems mad he spent money on a bubba-piston.
View Quote

I can tell by your post that you think you are smarter than Eugene Stoner.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is all.

You're welcome.
View Quote

The fact that my gun is clean as hell after having shot a fuckton of ammo through it....makes your (hopefully sarcastic) PSA---CHOCK FULL OF CEMENT DILDOS.   That is all.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The fact that my gun is clean as hell after having shot a fuckton of ammo through it....makes your (hopefully sarcastic) PSA---CHOCK FULL OF CEMENT DILDOS.   That is all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is all.

You're welcome.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#28]

If I had only posted this sooner, that man could have had a chance.

Now its a permanent case of fail, he has no chance of un-noobing his noob cannon.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is all.

You're welcome.

Post a photo of the rear of your bolt carrier and the intersection of the same with the end of the buffer tube.

Look, there's compromises on everything.   The compromise on piston AR set ups is that you introduce an off center impulse point (and thus an angular force) into a system that was designed without consideration of such forces.  When someone makes a piston upper with steel rails for the bolt carrier to deal with this angular force, I'll check it out.   Otherwise, its a train wreck waiting to happen in my view.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't have a piston gun.

But I wish I did.

Stoner's design was fine, but all things are eventually improved.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#31]
OP is right. A dirty, filthy action is so better than one that runs cooler and cleaner!

(SCAR17 owner here)

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I don't have a piston gun.

But I wish I did.

Stoner's design was fine, but all things are eventually improved.
View Quote

You should also be on the lookout for a better shape for wheels than "circular".  I'm sure you will come up with something eventually.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I agree, however I got a great deal on an LMT 12.5 piston upper I couldn't pass on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The back pressure comes from the can (back through the barrel), not the DI system.

Derpsniper

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derpsniper

Ok
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#35]
It's not direct impingement, it's new Virtual Piston technology.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#36]
thats a big elephant if its bigger than the moon,  sheesh......

I think AK's have proven themselves over the years....

Piston AR's....meh

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#37]
op wtf is wrong with you? get both. i have one piston ar, about a dozen di ars, and two aks. they all run fine. i will say my piston ar and aks are heavier but they get cleaned much less than my di ones
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Make the upper from steel and a piston might work fine.  Piston CONVERSIONS induce a moment in the carrier, making the carrier bear on the upper in the worst area as far as bearing wear.  Aluminum makes a horrible boundary to dry lubrication type bearing material.

Stoner's design only used the upper as a guide for the carrier so bearing loads are minimal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Post a photo of the rear of your bolt carrier and the intersection of the same with the end of the buffer tube.

Look, there's compromises on everything.   The compromise on piston AR set ups is that you introduce an off center impulse point (and thus an angular force) into a system that was designed without consideration of such forces.  When someone makes a piston upper with steel rails for the bolt carrier to deal with this angular force, I'll check it out.   Otherwise, its a train wreck waiting to happen in my view.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is all.

You're welcome.

I don't think carrier tilt is still a thing, in modern pistons.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Derpsniper

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derpsniper

And the gas tube shits out too much gas on a suppressed rifle without a regulator. Directly into your right eyeball. This is why piston guns rock with suppressors.

I don't own a piston gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Behold the ultimate noob cannon.  I can smell the deformed battery terminals, broken Pmag lips, and the bolt lug stress cracks from here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't only any piston ARs, but 70% of my rifles are AKs
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is all.

You're welcome.

Read what Keith wrote above.

Carrier tilt SYMPTOMS are better avoided in the current designs, but the physics is still there.  You are introducing a nose up ass down force on the carrier, and thus on what are only supposed to be gliding surfaces in the aluminum upper, that were not engineered into the system.   Its like putting axle extenders and monster truck tires on a stock Honda Civic suspension.   The forces are different, the system was not engineered for them.  Redesigning parts so that you minimize the "gouging" symptoms of the carrier being propelled with an angular momentum added to the mix does not mean those forces are not there working on the integrity of the upper.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Didn't someone else post another thread that was almost exactly the same a week or so ago?

The whole schtick is old by now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#45]
In before OP realizes that Stoner's AR is a form of gas piston and not direct impingement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

POF makes some of the stupidest looking AR's and a SCAR isn't an AR platform rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OP made a shit choice and now is trying to steer everyone from it.

Like the guy who wrecked his Lamborghini because he had no idea what he's doing behind the steering wheel... then proceeds to tell everyone off from buying one and how shit they are.
View Quote

OP said he DIDN'T buy a piston rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
And the gas tube shits out too much gas on a suppressed rifle without a regulator. Directly into your right eyeball. This is why piston guns rock with suppressors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Derpsniper

Only if you are a lefty.  Gas comes out the two holes on the carrier, right at the scallop for the dust cover latch.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP is right. A dirty, filthy action is so better than one that runs cooler and cleaner!

(SCAR17 owner here)

View Quote

How is a SCAR 17 an "AR"?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Is this a suppressed piston AR picture thread?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top