Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2014 8:39:59 AM EDT
Bought three 7" Makita angle grinders at Home Depot, used them, put them back in their boxes and returned them?

Edited to add:

I don't usually buy power tools at HD, but I needed a 7" angle grinder in a hurry to clean up some welds that my 4-1/2" grinders couldn't handle.

I drop by there yesterday, get a grinder and am happy. I get to farm, unbox grinder and am unhappy. The grinder is obviously used and has somebody's name written on it.

If I don't finish fabbing these adapters, my schedule is going to be off by a week. So, I use the grinder also.

I take it back to the store today, explain the issue and they say "Oops! Get another off the shelf and we will just swap it out."

They have two left on the shelf. Both look like they have been opened and taped back shut. I take one up to the returns desk. I open it while they watch and... Surprise! Same dude's name is written on that one.

Sooooo, I go get the last one. Take it to returns desk, same story.

At this point, three employees are standing in a huddle looking like they think I am a wizard.

I will try a different store this evening.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I probably know that guy.  He also bought a gallon of Naptha, used a few ounces, and then returned it.  

Cheap motherfuckers......
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#3]
i see honda mower, echo trimmers all being returned...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha! I know your last name now, because you wrote it in sharpie on all three of them.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but these were taped up and put back on the shelf. Somebody at the returns desk was drunk / lazy / retarded.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry man I needed to flute a barrel
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah, but these were taped up and put back on the shelf. Somebody at the returns desk was drunk / lazy / retarded.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bring it to the manager's attention.  If you want one, you can probably
pick it up for a good deal.  I know that Lowe's will heavily discount
returned used items and I would think HD would too.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#8]
It's cheaper that way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I stole the pressure washer, but the angle grinders were someone else.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bring it to the manager's attention.  If you want one, you can probably pick it up for a good deal.  I know that Lowe's will heavily discount returned used items and I would think HD would too.  
View Quote

Management is well aware of it. Somebody employee is going to get reamed over it.

I would rather pay full price one that I know hasn't been dropped or otherwise abused.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Somedays I'm ashamed to be the same species as some of these fucking skeeves.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Probably the same person who bought the halogen light, removed both bulbs and returned it. I was pissed last night when I opened it up to do some yardwork at 21:30 last night.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I once employed a framing carpenter who did our spec home decks on the side over the weekend.

He would buy a new cheap $65 dollar 1/2 inch chuck B&D hammer drill for the job each time. It would burn up after being forcfully used (he would lean on the thing bogging it down at times) on the twenty to twenty four 3/4 inch holes he bored through the brick joints with a carbide bit to through bolt the deck ledger bands to the interior framing. He would return it and get a new one each time he did a job for us instead of putting out $300 for a proper Bosch or Hilti SDS drill
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#15]
OP you probably will get a response on the liberal forums.

I hate people like that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#16]
What gets me is... THREE of them? Who buys three $150 grinders, writes his name on them, and then decides "nahhhh."

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Probably has a buddy that works at the store that will take back the returns.  

Inventive ways to save money when the gov't steals too much of it.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#19]

What about the cones?!?!?!?!?!?!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Reason number 87,632,452 why I fucking hate people.
(Present company excluded of course...)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Somebody at HD was in on that. They're supposed to check the box to make sure that the accessories were present. Perhaps somebody there was lazy and stupid, but IMO it's more likely that the person did it for his friend.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a friend like that.  He bought a truck tool box at a great price from the auto parts store I worked at and then 6 months later wants to return it for his money back.  I told him no way.  What a low life thing to even ask.  

There was nothing wrong with the tool box he just wanted to do something different.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
People using retail businesses as a free tool loaner place is despicable.  We all pay for it.  A pox on them!  
View Quote

I heard that!!
I was at HD one day and a guy brings in a heavily used post hole digger and says it's not what he wants.
Sure,after you completed the job now you want your money back was the look the service guy gave him.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I can just see some dude sleepwalking on Ambien, wandering the aisles of HD.

He sees the the angle grinders and the walrus says to him "you need that".

And he thinks "Yesssssss, I need that. I need the biggest, baddest, grinder they have."

He throws it in the cart and the walrus says "only one?"

So, he grabs every 7" Makita grinder they have.

Then the walrus says "let's talk about patio furniture."

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I have an in law from the Philippines who lives closeby.  She'll buy stuff, use it once, then return it when she's finished.  I've seen her buy clothes, wear them for whatever occasion she bought them for, then return them after wearing them once.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#26]
People do the same shit with toilet seats.

I recently moved and not only do I hate the thought of used toilet seats I also have a young daughter and think the anti-slam seats are the best.

Well I go to Lowes and pick one up (about $35) and put it in the cart.  Then pick up the next one (same exact box), and can tell it is much heavier.

Look back at the first and some asshat has switched out a cheap one for the more expensive one.  All to save $20.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#27]
when i worked at sears, every year we would have people come buy $$$$ garden tillers, then return them the next week full of mud and dirt and say they didnt work correctly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to work in the hardware department at a Home Depot. I would get several calls a day to check tool that people brought back.  We had to check everything. We had some people try to do some shady shit. Buying a new tool and put the old one in the new box and try to return it. Not sure what they were thinking. They had to know we would check it. Eventually we stopped taking all "broken" power tools back beyond the 30 day period and instead offered to ship them off to be fixed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
People using retail businesses as a free tool loaner place is despicable.  We all pay for it.  A pox on them!  
View Quote

Agreed.  Those cunt sausages will receive a visit from me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
People using retail businesses as a free tool loaner place is despicable.  We all pay for it.  A pox on 10' long rope and 18' high tree branch for them!  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#31]
So you bought an angle grinder, used it, returned it, and you are mad that someone else bought an angle grinder, used it and returned it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Those cunt sausages will receive a visit from me.
View Quote

That's a beautiful was to say dicks.

Well played sir.

TXL
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

At this point, three employees are standing in a huddle looking like they think I am a wizard.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So you bought an angle grinder, used it, returned it, and you are mad that someone else bought an angle grinder, used it and returned it?
View Quote

It was already used when I used it. I wasn't going to make a two hour round trip drive to try to exchange it just to grind some C channel. (Good thing, since the other two were used also).

I haven't returned it yet. I do need a 7" grinder and hope to exchange it tonight at a different store. Surely they have one that hasn't been diddled with yet.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Spray some brake cleaner on a paper towel and wipe it off.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Spray some brake cleaner on a paper towel and wipe it off.
View Quote

That would probably work, but I paid for a new grinder and kind of expect to get one. If they wanted to knock 20% off of it, that might be ok. I might hit them up for a $30 store card, but I don't want them to think I am trying to run a scam on them.

I will say, it is a great grinder. It is geared to run 9" wheels if you replace the guard.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Know how you feel... One time I bought a vehicle air filter replacement (at Walmart) only to get home and find some asshat had taken the new one and swapped it with their old crusty dirty one for return in the box...  I was RAGING!   .... and since then I always try to open boxes to confirm new before I buy.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Ha! I know your last name now, because you wrote it in sharpie on all three of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the last name is "you", first name "fuck" then it was me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought a shop vac at Home Depot. It was obviously used and when I had an employee open it you could see that the filter was dirty. They called the manager over and I ended up haggling him down to about $16 for a $50 shop vac.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Nobody has mentioned the people who return large expensive TVs the week after Super Bowl.

I've seen it done by Joe Average complete with State Uni tee-shirt model citizen looking types and not just the FSA
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bring it to the manager's attention.  If you want one, you can probably pick it up for a good deal.  I know that Lowe's will heavily discount returned used items and I would think HD would too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never seen HD heavily discount anything.  They usually put some green spray paint on it and mark it down a few bucks.  I also used to know a guy that would wipe off the green spray paint and return it for full price.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Know how you feel... One time I bought a vehicle air filter replacement (at Walmart) only to get home and find some asshat had taken the new one and swapped it with their old crusty dirty one for return in the box...  I was RAGING!   .... and since then I always try to open boxes to confirm new before I buy.  
View Quote

Thoroughly examine your oil filters too.  I found a Fram HP-4 with a fucking rock in it.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have an in law from the Philippines who lives closeby.  She'll buy stuff, use it once, then return it when she's finished.  I've seen her buy clothes, wear them for whatever occasion she bought them for, then return them after wearing them once.  
View Quote

That's pretty common for ghetto goblins near here. Don't try to return something the Monday after any summer holiday. They are out in force with 'theys returns".
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nobody has mentioned the people who return large expensive TVs the week after Super Bowl.

I've seen it done by Joe Average complete with State Uni tee-shirt model citizen looking types and not just the FSA
View Quote

Went to walmart to score some .22 last week, 350lb FSA was loading a tv and dropped it.  Came back in to return saying it was damaged, started screaming about it was not him that did it ect.  Stopped by the return and said I witnessed him dropping it and even gave them a description of his car, where to look on video and all.  Fucking FSA loving manager gave him a refund, kinda looked like she was too interested in" haingin out by dem little Debbie's" to care.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Stealing is now "saving money" to the young in this country.  Apparently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stealing is now "saving money" to the young in this country.  Apparently.

The only sin is ...not getting what you want.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#49]
On a somewhat related note, don't weld while wearing a sleeveless shirt. I got a really nice armpit arc flash burn.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
On a somewhat related note, don't weld while wearing a sleeveless shirt. I got a really nice armpit arc flash burn.

View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top