Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:20:26 AM EDT
Of all the different methods man has developed for pulling fish out of water fly fishing is my personal favorite.

It's both predatory and artistic, like typical fishing but with the intensity turned up a bit.

In my area all pursuits are within arms reach. You can pull perch and small halibut off the beach, rockfish off the reef within sight of shore, salmon and tuna a couple hours from the harbor, or you can go inland.

I've done my fair share of ocean fishing and had a blast. I'm not sure if there is better food on earth than a King Salmon caught in the morning, filleted at noon and BBQ'd that same day for dinner. There isn't money enough to buy that experience, you just have to earn it.

That said, fly fishing for trout throughout the Sierras has been an exhilarating experience, far beyond any I've had in the Pacific Ocean.

It's an incredible challenge to figure out what they want and put it where they are. If it were easier... if you didn't spend the majority of your time untangling knots, pulling your fly out of the trees from a low back cast, tying on different flys, adding tippet, searching for a hole, hiking through brush, avoiding other fishermen, etc.. it might not be all that big of a thrill to land a fish. But when you get out on a rock on a slow moving river with minimal wind, cast that perfect cast, see a fish take your fly and set the hook, it really doesn't matter how big he is, it's just a fucking blast to know you've done it well enough to catch your prey. And if he's 16" or better you're in for a thrill to land him on some 5x fluorocarbon.

I'm a little elated at the moment. I just got home from a fly fishing trip in the Sierras, something I haven't done since I was a kid. It was so much fun I've already planned a trip to Montana next month... WOO HOO!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice pics.

I love fly fishing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice pics.

I love fly fishing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:25:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh Lord please, if there is a thing called reincarnation don't let me come back as a fish!

Could you imagine a worse life? From birth always looking over your shoulder relentlessly so you don't become a meal to another fish. Stuck in school your whole life? Never graduating and moving on to a lucrative and fulfilling occupation and then enjoying your retirement years? Sex? What sex? Making a sandy spot on the bottom and waiting days for a female to swim by and deposit her eggs. Then you squirt your load over them. No foreplay? No mutual oral? No penetration? Well that sucked.

As an avid fresh and salt water fisherman as well as a true humanitarian I do every thing I can to put these poor miserable creatures out of their misery. And into a frying pan.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice pics.

I love fly fishing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:37:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Still never fly fished but I love fishing be it fresh water or salt.

Grew up doing both in AK.

Titties.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:46:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Just returned from fly fishing in Alaska.  The Copper river is fantastic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I can`t believe how much money I have tied up in fly fishing stuff.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I love fly fishing. One of my favorite ways to spend a late summer afternoon.

Where in Montana are you planning on going?

I did 10 days at the mouth of the Madison river at quake lake and did day trips up to Yellowstone.  Some advice do a guided trip as soon as you get there, then pick his brain. It helped us catch more fish then trying to figure it out on the spot or bugging other anglers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:26:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I love exploring new places as much as the fly fishing, especially the small streams where you keep pushing yourself to see what is around the next bend.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good spinning reel at your side, kid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I love to fly fish for trout, love to catch them on flies that I tied.  I hope to make my own rods when I get some time.

But no truer words have ever been spoken to you my friend..... Find your way to somewhere tropical that bonefish live and try them on a fly rod.  Spookier than the spookiest trout and one of the world's great fights.  Warning though you may not like or find trout fishing all that satisfying after.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Fly fishing would be fun if I could just stick a worm on an eagle claw.......
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I love exploring new places as much as the fly fishing, especially the small streams where you keep pushing yourself to see what is around the next bend.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Spent my youth fishing streams in Maine and New Hampshire, and then my college days fishing Tenkara style fly fishing in the Virginia Highland streams.

Trying to get the woman interested in it so I can justify dumping the cash on new gear for us.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#15]
If you do get somewhere tropical for bonefish you also need to try tarpon on a fly. Nothing like hooking into a 150# silver king on a 12 weight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#16]
For any largemouth bass fishermen out there...

Liquid garlic and ground coffee beans. Mix em together and "bake" your Zooms in it (15 seconds in microwave)

Here fishy fishy fishy!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#17]
A trout will eat a worm or hopper whether or not there is a hook in it.
If you pick the right spot, pick the right fly, make the perfect cast, You out-wit the fish!

Last fish I caught was on the Jellystone just south of Livingston. 4.5 lb Rainbow on a fly tied in Dan Baileys' shop.
Was delish.

That was 1988.
I gotta get out more.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Just from your picture I'm having a hard time telling the difference between fly fishing and cooking meth.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Spent my youth fishing streams in Maine and New Hampshire, and then my college days fishing Tenkara style fly fishing in the Virginia Highland streams.

Trying to get the woman interested in it so I can justify dumping the cash on new gear for us.

View Quote

I have the opposite situation.  My woman wants to fly fish every free moment.  I go fishing with her and not the other way around.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Tried to pick up a new real yesterday at orvis - they were essentially sold out of everything.  Been a good week there I guess.

---

My wife wants me to spend more time with the kids.  8 year old talks about fishing a lot.  Pretty sure that wife has been sold on the idea of getting a river house.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I love fly fishing. One of my favorite ways to spend a late summer afternoon.

Where in Montana are you planning on going?

I did 10 days at the mouth of the Madison river at quake lake and did day trips up to Yellowstone.  Some advice do a guided trip as soon as you get there, then pick his brain. It helped us catch more fish then trying to figure it out on the spot or bugging other anglers.
View Quote

I'm going where my gf takes me. She's from Montana and likes to fish, so she'll be my tour guide.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I caught my first fish on a grasshopper in Montana 50 years ago. I discovered fly fishing 30 years ago. I have never looked back.

I have landed fish bigger than I have a right to. I have caught fish so small they made me laugh. I have met people who have changed my life. I have changed lives. I have been to some of the most beautiful places on earth. I live to fish and I fish to fish.

I am a fly fishing guide and I love my life...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Looks tight.

Pick a spot where you want it to go and then turn around and cast tight loops in to the tree openings.

When it feels right, take that tight loop and pivot the cast to the spot.

There are a few roll casts based off of Spey casting you can pull off also.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Looks tight.

Pick a spot where you want it to go and then turn around and cast tight loops in to the tree openings.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks tight.

That spot was just where we camped, the creek opened up south of us into a pretty nice meadow. Pulled some browns and rainbows out on mayflies.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Perhaps you now understand my user name...

My son catching his first Brownie on a fly!

I dare you to find a more beautiful place to fish!  The Owens River...

Can't think of a better thing to do...

Drifting on the Klamath...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#28]

I was there last Sunday and I'd tend to agree with you.

We fished a smaller creek to the south in the am and went to the Owens in the afternoon. Unfortunately a T-storm rolled in and kicked us out earlier than we wanted, but I will definitely be going back there. Need to polish up on my stealth a bit before then though..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#29]
On Saturday we are headed to Dubois, Wy for a week of fishing.  Can't wait to get up there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I dare you to find a more beautiful place to fish!  The Owens River...
<a href="http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/jacksfriend/media/Fishing/owens1a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/jacksfriend/Fishing/owens1a.jpg</a><a href="http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/jacksfriend/media/Fishing/andysbigadventure006-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/jacksfriend/Fishing/andysbigadventure006-1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Owens river is where I first learned to fly fish. Also challenge accepted!

All pics below are from when I was stationed in Idaho

I didnt know i had caught this guy til I tried to cast , He was also the only fish that day

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok some questions for the more seasoned veterans here...

I recently got back into it and like I said am going to Montana and Wyoming for three weeks in September. Gonna fish the Snake, Big Blackfoot and a few others, as well as some lakes here and there. I'm currently shopping on ebay for a rod and reel setup with the help of my fly fishing guru father.

Am planning to buy a 6wt, either a Loomis GLX or a Sage XP 697-4 (or the modern equivalent, since those are out of production). My dad has both and I've been practicing with them at the park the last couple days. Can't make up my mind . Does anyone here have experience with either and if so what are your thoughts? I'll be buying a reel as well, not sure which.

Also borrowing his 4wt and 5wt for the smaller areas.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Get the GLX.

That Sage XP is a cannon

GLX = effortless, soft, tight loops.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just from your picture I'm having a hard time telling the difference between fly fishing and cooking meth.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk101/DuraToTheMax/IMAG0774_zpsa989b62a.jpg
View Quote

Busted for fishing without a license is a helluva lot cheaper than getting' arrested for making meth without a license.......
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Get the GLX.

That Sage XP is a cannon

GLX = effortless, soft, tight loops.
View Quote

Ok, that's the opposite of my experience. The Loomis seems heavier, even though the Sage is 6" longer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#35]
And if he's 16" or better you're in for a thrill to land him on some 5x fluorocarbon.
View Quote
One reason to love Idaho...I used to keep track of all trout I caught that were 16" or bigger.  I lost track many years ago in the teens.  Catch a few that size every year.  There are a couple of places where that's almost guaranteed, if you do your part.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good spinning reel at your side, kid.
View Quote

You just go right on ahead believing that.  I'll be over her picking up hard fish.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I love fishing the Blackfoot - but it's a tough river to fish for some reason.   Good idea to know how to fish streamers for the bigger fish.

I use my 4wt more than my 6.  Unless I'm fishing in wind or with heavy junk.  If i ever build another fly rod i'd think hard about a 9', fast action, 3 piece, 5wt.   My 4 and 8 wt rods are built on Loomis IMX blanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do you open them up to see what they've been eating, then tie a new fly right there on the shore to match it?

That's what my dad would do and he'd catch tons of fish.

View Quote

No need to open them up, just use a stomache pump.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Love to fish, hence my username, just got back from a charter on Erie earlier this week, did really good on that(walleye) from here on out this year will probably be bass in ponds or streams.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just go right on ahead believing that.  I'll be over her picking up hard fish.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm160/30CalTy/IMG_1167_zpsc9377c92.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm160/30CalTy/IMG_1159_zpsc3c39834.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm160/30CalTy/IMG_1164_zps01308dd4.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7300/13065194305_ac6c9c5a37_b.jpg

Tried it for a couple years and just wasn't my thing.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice Bone!  25 " ?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm kind of jealous that all you folks out west catch such pretty fish on your fly rods.  I just get these:

And occasionally these:

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#44]
They don't get big around here

You did say all types of fishing right?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I've done a little bit of fly fishing before, but just with a spinning rod and a casting bobber
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, today was a good day. I ordered all kinds of stuff for the Montana trip.

Loomis NRX Trout 6wt

Galvan T-6 w/extra spool

Simms G3 Guide Stockingfoot Waders

Simms G4 Boa boot

Three 7wt fly lines, Rio Perception floating and sinking and an Airflo intermediate

Fishpond Chestpack

Still have to get a bunch of accessory shit to order but got the bulk done today. The rod and reel will be here this week, waders and boots next week. Have a short trip to the Tuolomne River tentatively scheduled for next weekend if everything gets here in time. Hooah!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Saturday.  Sorry about the drop of water on the lens.  Took all these in about 60 minutes.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#49]
bump.. and hijack
If you gents were just starting out and had about 200$ to spent on a rod, reel and line... what would you buy? Most of what I'd fish would be a 4 or 5 wt rod but I have no clue past that...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

bump.. and hijack

If you gents were just starting out and had about 200$ to spent on a rod, reel and line... what would you buy? Most of what I'd fish would be a 4 or 5 wt rod but I have no clue past that...
View Quote

Probably hit up walmart. You have tackle to buy too..

I spent $2k yesterday on fishing shit and I'm not ready yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top