BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far the best advise out of this thread has been, , focus on myself and become happy, nail as much strange as possible, and re-do my house as I see fit.

I'll be interested in what the ladies of arfcom have to say during the day shift.
View Quote

I'd say drop the 'nail as much strange as possible' and you have a good plan.

No one ever listens to me though.  *shrug*
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So far the best advise out of this thread has been, , focus on myself and become happy, nail as much strange as possible, and re-do my house as I see fit.

I'll be interested in what the ladies of arfcom have to say during the day shift.

LOL, SEE!

speed
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

LOL, SEE!

speed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, SEE!

speed

I happen to like my privates without warts and not being pregnant.  

But, if you all love the idea of paternity suits and dick cheese there really isn't much I can tell ya.

Edit - My bad, I just assumed you were one of the people who was screaming to hit it and quit it across town.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But, if you all love the idea of paternity suits and dick cheese there really isn't much I can tell ya.

Edit - My bad, I just assumed you were one of the people who was screaming to hit it and quit it across town.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, SEE!

speed

thats OK, its a fair assumption in GD.

speed
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:59:47 AM EDT
[#5]
47 here, divorced for... 17 years i believe it will be.

haven't been with a woman since. (in a relationship sense, i mean.)

don't care, though. i mean sure, i get lonely sometimes, missing those intimate moments, and often you might hear me complain about it but that's because i take being single for granted. truth be told i wouldn't trade it for the world. sure, i have my son, but he is nearly an adult, also has a job, ect. pretty much takes care of himself now. i have alot of time to myself as a result, and it's actually fantastic. i absolutely "parent" him still sure, but I don't need to as much because he's a great kid.

i'll admit, pretty much all this year, up until about 2 months ago, i was in a bad spot. depression, idk what you want to call it. i basically shut everyone out. was miserable with life. wasn't doing well at work. it pretty much ruined most of 2014 for me.

but then something happened. it just clicked one day, as i was driving home from work. i was tired of coming home feeling sorry for myself. i thought about the 80s, my youth, and the 90s, my prime. i decided that the confident, athletic, care-free guy i was back then can be me again, but whether or not that happens is entirely up to me. i started to make a change. i started caring about how i looked and what shape i was in, and decided that i didn't need anybody else besides myself and my family to be happy. i actually started to get shit done and since then, i swear, these last 2 months have been some of the greatest of my life. i am the happiest i have been all year. hell, happiest i've been for the last 5 or 6 years, really.

i know i'm probably sounding really cliche here OP but what I'm saying is, it gets better. give it time, and when you're ready, get back on the horse, but focus on improving yourself before moving to try to impress the ladies or get a "new woman."  our greatest moments are often when we are left to our own devices.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:07:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
thats OK, its a fair assumption in GD.

speed
View Quote

haha.
Emotionally healthy is not something that comes to mind when one thinks of GD.  

Fury, Speed was right, life is about being happy with yourself.  Maybe take some general ed or elective classes at the local community college?  
You've known me for a while - and having found a field that I am passionate about has brought me more grounded, confident, and generally comfortable with myself than I think I ever had been.  

And to throw out some foo-foo girly stuff; because well, I'm foo-foo and girly:

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the Tinder app OP....seriously.

Online dating is an adventure but it works.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:49:18 AM EDT
[#8]
36, never been married, never even been close.

Recently met the woman I'm going to marry.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Speed and Sugar are right. Learn to be comfortable being you. For over a decade you have been part of a couple, and that is the vast majority of your adult life. Time to learn who Robit is all on his own. No amount of strange can teach you that.

So yeah, redecorate the house exactly how you want it. But the clothes and things you want. Go places you want to go. And if you aren't happy with your job, find a new one. There is no one holding you back but you.

Oh, and get a dag now that you've tossed the heifer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No joke.

Marriage of 12 years went south, and now I find my self divorced.

Being 35 and single kind of sucks.  Every woman my age either has kids, is married, or a train wreck.

To old to be hanging out in bars, and truth be told, bar skanks are not really my cup of tea.  

So here I am, trust in women shot, I realized last week that I have not bought clothes for myself in 12 years, now what the hell do I do?

I guess it is currency, motorcycles, hot rods, and tattoos for this guy.
View Quote

Sad but too many guys go from one Mommy to another. They live at home, Mommy takes care of them. Then they get married, now they have another Mommy to take care of them.
Have seen it a lot. Very sad.
A stint in the Military would have cured a lot of that. You take care of your own shit, cuz ain't nobody going to do it for you.
The "Sargent my Pussy hurts" types just don't cut it.

Edit, to say I'm Divorced and couldn't be happier. But then again I know how to take care of things myself.
Not a big deal at all. I have no sympathy for the snivelers out there.
Man the fuck up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No joke.

Being 35 and single kind of sucks.  Every woman my age either has kids, is married, or a train wreck.

To old to be hanging out in bars, and truth be told, bar skanks are not really my cup of tea.  

So here I am, trust in women shot, I realized last week that I have not bought clothes for myself in 12 years, now what the hell do I do?

View Quote

You need to develop some sort of coping mechanism. For instance, you could stop throwing stuff out. Any stuff at all. Forever. Keep it in neat piles around the house, it can help give you a sense of completeness.

Also, adopt as many local cats as you can.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#12]
First off, don't go around thinking that you "need" to be in a relationship or "need" to have someone around.  You were married for a significant amount of time so are used to someone being around, but don't need that...stop that co-dependant bullshit in its tracks or you'll end up in a relationship you regret.

Secondly, take this time to immerse yourself in whatever hobbies you have.  If you don't have any get some...

Learn to enjoy being single and unattached.

Also, you are young.  35 really is not that old in the great scheme of things, forget the MILFS with baggage and raise your standards.  If you are good looking and in shape, there is no reason why you can't be banging some mid to late 20's hottie with no kids.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Trying man, I have found that my smile is a lie.  Though a necessary one.  Fake it till you make it, or something like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give it time. You'll be the envy of many of us soon. Keep your head up OP.

Trying man, I have found that my smile is a lie.  Though a necessary one.  Fake it till you make it, or something like that.

From one that has been there, soon you will enjoy that freedom.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Just live your life exactly how you want to and a good woman will come into your life when you least expect it.

I'm 37 and single and I too get bummed once in a while. But I look at is as I can use this time to do things and buy things I probably won't be able to later in life.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Crossfit. Do it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll be this dude.

Go talk to a therapist. It doesn't make you weak like a lot of us were raised to believe. Asking for help means your a fucking survivor.

Cause right now it sounds like your about eat the barrel of a gun.

Which, by the way, would make make you a weak piece of shit. Not to mention all the people that shit hurts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Ourtime.com,
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Keep on keeping on man.  Keep yourself busy w/ stuff you like/enjoy and don't stress the snatch.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#19]
The late James Garner once said "Marriage is like the Army; everyone complains, but you'd be surprised at the large number of people who re-enlist".

BUT! he died one month before his 58th wedding anniversary; so he was a lifer; a rarity in Hollywood!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Go to church
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ya gotta slay some dragons to get to the princess dude.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at it this way. I was in the same boat as you when I was 32. I had been married for 12 years and got dumped. If that hadn't happened I wouldn't have met my current wife who is a much better person than my ex ever was. I met my current wife in Walmart. She was working there at the time. Since then she has become a nurse. Sometimes things happen for a reason.

I am just trying to take it one day at a time, not really interested in women at the moment.  My friends however are failing to grasp that concept, and keep on trying to hook me up with bar skanks.

Ya gotta slay some dragons to get to the princess dude.  

Haven't heard that one before.

There's nothing wrong with riding a swamp donkey OP, just make sure it's at their place.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sad but too many guys go from one Mommy to another. They live at home, Mommy takes care of them. Then they get married, now they have another Mommy to take care of them.
A stint in the Military would have cured a lot of that. You take care of your own shit, cuz ain't nobody going to do it for you.

Edit, to say I'm Divorced and couldn't be happier. But then again I know how to take care of things myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No joke.

He was in the military. We went to Basic together.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#23]
No trust in women... Now interested in "hot rods"?

Not judging, man.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Learn to cook amazing food.  The rest will come.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#25]
At 35 there are plenty of hotties out there.  Wait until you are 50 and looking and you'll have something to complain about.  Talk about women who look 65 to 70 and are a train wreck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm tempted to turn this into a Vito to Johnny Fontane response, but won't.

I got divorced in my early 30's.  It's all attitude.  You can feel sorry and morn your loss (a little bit of that is healthy) but you need to move on and fill the space with something else; besides expectation.

Rome wasn't built in a day, a journey begins with the first step, etc. etc.

You're not "over it" from the sounds of it.  You need to be over it.  

Do other things.  Make other friends.  Move (if you're job or employer makes it possible).

Get your head right.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No joke.

I did do a stint in the military.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Only advice I have is don't try so hard to meet someone.  I wasn't even looking for a serious relationship when I met Wodstock, just sorta happened.  Though, I kinda suspect she might have been stalking me on a BBS for a little while before that.  

I wouldn't worry about the age thing, either.  We have friends of the family who meet people and get remarried, and they're way older than you.  I really don't think age is an issue.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone should live by themselves at least once in their lives. If you haven't before, then now is the time to learn how.

Yeah I know, stuck in a house that is full of memories, trying to keep myself busy.  I am not afraid of living alone, pretty much have been for a year or so anyway.

Do you have friends you can go out with?

If not, find some... it would help if they were single too. It gets harder and harder to have single friends as you get into your 30's. Most guys have taken themselves off the market by then, which is sad. I've been getting more tail in my 30's than I did in my 20's. It's way easier now.

Never married... and the party continues.

I have a few friends.  They seem to give the worst advice ever though, sort of like any relationship thread in GD.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll be this dude.

Go talk to a therapist. It doesn't make you weak like a lot of us were raised to believe. Asking for help means your a fucking survivor.

Cause right now it sounds like your about eat the barrel of a gun.

Which, by the way, would make make you a weak piece of shit. Not to mention all the people that shit hurts.
View Quote

Not going to hurt myself at all....

Truth be told, that has never crossed my mind.  I guess I was looking more at the logistical stand point of being single.  Little things like clothes, food, and doing all of the things around the house that she has always taken care of.  I am not really interested in being in a relationship at this point, I guess I was wondering what others whom have been in my sort of situation did to occupy their time now that they have nobody to answer to.  I have been married so long that I have no idea what makes me happy.  Before it was all about us, taking care of us is what made me happy, now...I have to find out what I really enjoy doing. It's not as easy as it would seem.  It could be that the wounds are still to fresh, or maybe I am thinking about this too deeply.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No joke.

Thanks Naamah, you know more than most.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#32]
skip the tattoos, get in shape, meet some younger women.

enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't smile. Easier that way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

enjoy.
View Quote

I am no fitness model, but am in good shape.  Why does everyone say skip the ink?  I have plenty of ink already, and have been planning more for YEARS now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Met my ex wife in Texas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No joke.

Move south. the women are hotter down here anyways

Met my ex wife in Texas.

that explains her being an "8".
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...life is easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By the time you reach your 30's, you should probably have it figured out that the "purpose" in life is not to be happy.

Being happy is a side effect of finding your purpose.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Get a fleshlight and a bottle of lube.  It's cheaper than replacing what you're missing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
By the time you reach your 30's, you should probably have it figured out that the "purpose" in life is not to be happy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until the rug gets pulled out from underneath you and everything changes....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No joke.

View Quote

I have step-children and it works out really well.  As long as your willing to treat them the same as you would your own kids.  I see nothing wrong with them already having kids.  If you would reconsider this and give it a try you could widen your options.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

by all means, smile, or at least keep your facial expression "open". Do not walk around frowning; nobody likes that.
a friendly smile and an easygoing charm goes a long way with women.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have step-children and it works out really well.  As long as your willing to treat them the same as you would your own kids.  I see nothing wrong with them already having kids.  If you would reconsider this and give it a try you could widen your options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No joke.

We never had any kids together....I don't know how I would be as a dad, let alone a step dad.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I am no fitness model, but am in good shape.  Why does everyone say skip the ink?  I have plenty of ink already, and have been planning more for YEARS now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

enjoy.

More ink is part of the solution.

Epic ink is even better.  The ink itself is gratifying and is something you want.  But the experience is also a part of it. The more you are at the tattoo shop is more time out of the house. Get to know the artist and the crew at the shop. Get some competition level work started and then trade ink for competing.  Meet more artists and more cool people.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

by all means, smile, or at least keep your facial expression "open". Do not walk around frowning; nobody likes that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have found that my stunning good looks and charming personality are more of a curse than a blessing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Epic ink is even better.  The ink itself is gratifying and is something you want.  But the experience is also a part of it. The more you are at the tattoo shop is more time out of the house. Get to know the artist and the crew at the shop. Get some competition level work started and then trade ink for competing.  Meet more artists and more cool people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

enjoy.

No wonder you got 24/365's Bro of the year award.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU define your purpose.  If it turns to shit and you need to change it, change that shit.  Then drive on with your new purpose, be it to nail huge amounts of strange, rescue orphaned dags, get Democrats unelected, make piles of cash, whatever.  It's up to you to define.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have found that my stunning good looks and charming personality are more of a curse than a blessing.
View Quote

I hear ya.

I'm constantly bemoaning my situation - why couldn't I have been born rich, instead of so damned good-lookin'?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I hear ya.

I'm constantly bemoaning my situation - why couldn't I have been born rich, instead of so damned good-lookin'?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya.

I know those feels.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's called adversity.

You're supposed to overcome it.

Do you have terminal ass cancer?  Did you lose you testicles stepping on a land mine?  Were your wife and 3 kids killed in their minivan by a 5 time DUI driving on a suspended license?

Put things in perspective.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Everyone should live by themselves at least once in their lives. If you haven't before, then now is the time to learn how.
View Quote

I agree.  I first moved out when I was 18, but have never lived alone until a couple years ago. I'm 31.  It's awesome.  

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top