Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 6:40:45 PM EDT
My son has a Hammerhead 250 dune buggy and I can't get the thing to start, after about a day, without a sniff of carb cleaner.  What is the problem here?  I did put a inline fuel filter on it, but that's the only change.  And it needed it.  I was cleaning the bowl about every 3-4 days.  It came from Kansas and spent some time in the sand at Little Sahara.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it's getting spark. I'd pull off the new fuel filter and see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If the filter is the only thing changed, remove it or at least make sure it's installed in the correct direction. Some filters are one way and can create a restriction if installed backwards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like it's getting spark. I'd pull off the new fuel filter and see what happens.
View Quote

This.  Really, for an off road vehicle to need a little sniff of Ether isn't the end of the world.  Especially if it's only after it's been sitting for a few days.  Unless the air cleaner has been utterly neglected, Little Sahara shouldn't have anything to do with it.  My YZ250 was a 1 kick bike before and after the trip.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Might want to pull the carburetor and clean the jets.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like the ethanol related issue I had when I got my old Wheel Horse fired up.   Basically it was a little bit of bad gas trapped in the tank that literally contaminated the fresh gas I put in it.     Ended up replacing the fuel lines which were breaking down,  fuel filter,  I probably cleaned the bowl and float about half a dozen times and re-adjusted it.      
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.  Really, for an off road vehicle to need a little sniff of Ether isn't the end of the world.  Especially if it's only after it's been sitting for a few days.  Unless the air cleaner has been utterly neglected, Little Sahara shouldn't have anything to do with it.  My YZ250 was a 1 kick bike before and after the trip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LS problem was that there was fine sand in the fuel tank that I couldn't get cleaned out.  It was plugging the jets and I was tired of fighting it and installed a filter.  It's in the right direction.  Air filter is clean and I can't figure it out.  There might be some percentage of ethanol in our bulk tank left, but they haven't delivered any in over a year.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure the choke is closing all the way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The LS problem was that there was fine sand in the fuel tank that I couldn't get cleaned out.  It was plugging the jets and I was tired of fighting it and installed a filter.  It's in the right direction.  Air filter is clean and I can't figure it out.  There might be some percentage of ethanol in our bulk tank left, but they haven't delivered any in over a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you saying you are using ethanol blended fuel that is over a year old?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Might want to pull the carburetor and clean the jets.
View Quote

90% of the small engine start problems are because the jets are clogged.

I have a briggs flathead engine I built like 6 years ago for a friend of mine's daughter's jr dragster . . . wouldn't start at all so sure enough I pulled the bowl and cleaned the jets out.  Started on the first pull . . .
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They deliver fuel to our tanks once a week.  There was ethanol in it over a year ago and I just told them I didn't want anymore ethanol and that I'd only keep buying from them if it was straight gas.  It's a 500 gallon tank.  I'm sure there's still a trace of "devil juice" in there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top