Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You just don't shoot them enough.

This past weekends USPSA was 1911 malf galore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weakest troll thread in a while.

Ive got 8 1911s , sold 4 more ! Ive got Colts , a Ria ,  Sig and a Les Baer even had a Kimber Warrior! Out of the 12  Ive yet to find the elusive finicky1911 guys always refer to ! Ive shot ball ammo ,  different defensive ammo , handloads of different bullets , weights  and loads!  Maybe I just got lucky I guess!

lol, how many hi-points did you see there?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
rephrase the question.

On a table before you is a 2K custom 1911 and a hi point.

You have to choose one to defend your life.  No test fires allowed.

what do you grab?

I grab the hi point.

View Quote

Ain't that some shit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sad isn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
hi-point

Sad isn't it?

A Hi-Point is so dead simple with that blow back design that it would be shocking if it wasn't more reliable.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Agreed

<--not trolling, I've ran a hi-point through hundreds of rounds and never had an Issue
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi-point.  

/thread.

Agreed

<--not trolling, I've ran a hi-point through hundreds of rounds and never had an Issue
No joke everyone I have EVER met that actually owns a hi point loves it.  Knows its cheap and clunky, and claims its reliable as fuck.

Only people I have ever heard hate don't own one.  

They're made in my home state so I'm kinda a non hater because of that too.  I don't own one but I would.  They sell em used down here for $250 LOL
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
rephrase the question.

On a table before you is a 2K custom 1911 and a hi point.

You have to choose one to defend your life.  No test fires allowed.

what do you grab?

I grab the hi point.

LOL

Very intelligent response.

A 2k custom 1911 can range from an absolute pile of trash to a very reliable.  A hi point will always be a hi point.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem is that $2000 puts you right in the sweet spot of "custom" 1911 shit-dickery.

A $1000-1400 1911 is usually a pretty good gun.  You've got high end Colts, lots of 80s/90s custom jobs, Sigs, Springer TRP, etc. in that group, and they tend to be good "working guns."

Or you go higher, say Les Baer money, and (after the break-in) they tend to be good guns.  Though it should be noted here that LBs are target pistols, but hey.  You're probably not getting a flawless $3500 1911 out of the box, but if you can afford $3500 for the gun, you can afford $150 in ammo to break it in.

But two grand?

That's the price point where people have more money than they know what to do with, but not enough to actually get anything really nice.  So you get Kimbers and shit.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's more reliable, a Glock or a Jennings?
View Quote

Which generation?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A Hi-Point is so dead simple with that blow back design that it would be shocking if it wasn't more reliable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
hi-point

Sad isn't it?

If only it weren't made of cast zinc/aluminum pot metal.

ARFCOM eschews quality MIM but embraces cast pot metal.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive got 8 1911s , sold 4 more ! Ive got Colts , a Ria ,  Sig and a Les Baer even had a Kimber Warrior! Out of the 12  Ive yet to find the elusive finicky1911 guys always refer to ! Ive shot ball ammo ,  different defensive ammo , handloads of different bullets , weights  and loads!  Maybe I just got lucky I guess!

I take it these guns had all factory fire control parts and springs?

And they were shooting full power factory ammo?

I doubt any of the owners were kitchen table gunsmiths either.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll stick with Ed.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see a lot of "Check out my shiny new racegun/safe queen/brand new NightPredatorDeadlyTalon Edition supergun OMGZZ!!"  guys go down hard, but I know a more than one savvy old coot who's probably been slinging lead downrange from the same mostly GI 1911 using the same handload he developed when Nirvana was the hottest thing on the charts.

Those guys don't tend to have malfunctions and they don't tend to miss very often either

I shoot the piss out of my 1911s and generally, after correcting a couple of minor problems, they run as well as any modern semi-auto pistol if you don't keep fucking with the things by changing parts out on a weekly basis like a lot of shooters do.

I'd take one of MY 1911s over any gun of unknown provenance, but I wouldn't take A 1911 that I'd never seen before over... well, just about anything.

If I have to escape a gunstore surrounded by zombie jihadists and for some bizarre reason I could only take a single new in box handgun with me, I'd choose a Glock17 with 124gr +P Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No joke everyone I have EVER met that actually owns a hi point loves it.  Knows its cheap and clunky, and claims its reliable as fuck.  

They're made in my home state so I'm kinda a non hater because of that too.  I don't own one but I would.  They sell em used down here for $250 LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi-point.  

/thread.

Agreed

Used? I can buy a brand new hi-point carbine right now for $260  from CTD and that includes shipping costs.  I've often wondered how they can produce them so cheaply.  I put it up there alongside questions such as "does space end" and "what came first, the chicken or the egg".
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have multiple 1911s that are all stock , and all reliable - but I don't bubba up my firearms.
Any 1911 that I have encountered ( other peoples pistols ) that didn't work - usually had been customized with "polished" feed ramps , "Match" & misc "drop in " parts.  1911s are utterly reliable from reputable builders and well known companies - but it's not a modular design that lends itself well to home gun smithing and modifications to make it "tactically cool "  . 1911s require parts to be fitted and matched up correctly with proper parts and tolerances.

If you want a Barbie gun to accessorize buy something else  

Dumbass troll thread
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I have to escape a gunstore surrounded by zombie jihadists and for some bizarre reason I could only take a single new in box handgun with me, I'd choose a Glock17 with 124gr +P Gold Dots.
View Quote

Dude knows what's up.

Yes, it's an arbitrarily insane scenario, but there you go.

FWIW, I like the 19 Gen 4, but the 124 GDHPs are the tits.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#16]
One of my 1911s. I have never owned a malfunctioning 1911 and I have owned "several" over the years.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Have any of you guys ever tried to shoot a Hi-Point .45 ????
More than a few rounds ??
View Quote

There's one under the front seat of my truck right now, and yes, I've fired hundreds, perhaps thousands of rounds through it.

Bought it on a whim when I found it at a pawn shop for $75. Took it out at camp, held it sideways gangsta style for the LOLs.  The guys thought it was freakin' hilarious.  We joked that it probably wouldn't get through a mag without a problem, and it might not fire at all.  We were really surprised when it ran all weekend without a hitch. So, I kept it as a truck gun.  If it gets stolen, I'm not really out anything...

In many years of shooting it, it's had exactly one malfunction...the slide didn't fully close on some funky wadcutter round.  Smacked it with the heel of my hand and it kept going.  

The only reason that I even had those rounds is because they absolutely wouldn't fire out of my buddy's Springfield. He had to feed each one by hand and finally gave up and threw the box at me in disgust.

Likewise, I got some cast lead unjacketed stuff from my brother when his Kimber choked on it.   It ran just fine in the Hi Point.

It'll run without issue on FMJ, JHP, and lead round-nose all day long.  

Surprisingly accurate too...I can ding an empty 20 lb propane tank at 40 yards with it without much problem.

I have yet to disassemble, lube or clean it

That said, if it was my only gun, I'd be very unhappy.  It's not a particularly fun range toy...recoil is weird because of the large reciprocating mass and the whole gun is very heavy.  But, it works.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dude knows what's up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude knows what's up.

No way, glock 18 with 33rd mags is the only appropriate handgun in that scenario
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Going to depend on what the shooter is used to.  Me personally, I'll grab the Hi point;  I've owned o e, put over 1k rounds through with no issues, and I'm familiar with the trigger break point.  My wife's uncle swears by the USG issue 1911 he has carried since Korea...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I know I've said it on here numerous times, but I have a friend who isn't well off financially, and bought a HiPoint for home defense. He then spent money on training and ammo to get proficient with the gun. I've never seen it have any issue of any sort, and I would wager he can shoot better than the average Arfcom poster.

For him, it was what weapon could he afford, and still afford training to be good with it. Yes, they are a shitty carry gun, but noone can doubt their reliability. He feels pretty secure in his abilities with his gun, and even though it's not a Tier 1 Operator gun, it's his daily gun he relies on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
1911's work fine if you maintain them and don't limp wrist them like a pussy.
View Quote

While Hipoints, on the other hand, just work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]
shitdickery made me lol
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Go figure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
hi-point

Sad isn't it?

Go figure.

Ah, but the pot metal is the secret.  To make a blow back work at .45 ACP energies you need a lot of mass.  Hence the zamak slide.

Makes the gun heavy as hell, but it does work.  And very few moving parts.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#25]
So does anyone on here actually own a Hi-Point with 10k+ rounds through it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#26]
No option for Deagle Wif Da Beamz, Yo?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think anyone that can only afford a hipoint can afford 10k+ rounds
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:39:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody cares about the Hi-Point's round count life cycle.

If they get 2 or 3 robberies out of one they simply toss it and figure they're ahead of the game anyway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Are Hi Points cheap large hunks of zinc...yes they are.Do Hi Points work....yes they do.

View Quote

Gotta go with this, the fuckers just keep pew pew pewing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd definitely choose a Hi Point over a Glock because besides being ultra reliable,  the Hi Points have a better grip angle, superior balance and  ergonomics and feel better in the hand.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#31]
How did I miss this one!!??

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:01:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:...

View Quote

That's because guys try to "customize" them and don't know what the fuck they're doing.

A properly setup 1911 is VERY RELIABLE

Go to an AREA USPSA match....or better yet, the SINGLE STACK NATIONALS and watch the factory super squad guys.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I own two springfields, one colt and one highpoint. Only the highpoint has never had a stoppage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#34]

I would feel like this with either one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had a Colt 1991 and a Norinco 1911...still got the Norinco...
View Quote

Strangely I also had a Norinco and a Colt. I still have the Colt.  The Norinco ran fine but I just couldn't get over the file marks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top