Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/21/2014 3:58:54 PM EDT
The Ghost pepper thread made me ask the question: why?

I've never understood it, why do some people insist on making their food hurt?  I like to enjoy, and actually TASTE my food, not run screaming from the room, and give myself a swirly to try to extingwish the flames in my soon to be melted to slag toilet when I get done digesting that noxious crap.  Why do some people insist on eating painfully hot food?  What is the point?  If you really want pepper flavor why not use a non hot pepper?  Why do you want to hurt yourself?

I hate spicy foods, hell I don't even like mint, give me red pepper flakes, or a jalapeno, and I feel like my teeth are going to crack from the heat.  I messed with Habaneros ONCE, (Not to eat, I was attempting to make a noxiously  hot substance to spray on my Ferret's hammock to make him stop eating it, but the damn thing actually seemed to enjoy it.) and just the fumes were enough to make me nearly vomit.  I had to leave the kitchen, and don my gas mask (I actually needed to put on my gas mask, I'm not kidding about that.), yet I see people pop those evil little bastards like candy, not to mention the true masochists that eat Ghost peppers (Even the Indians (dot) who spice their freaking water don't eat those things, they smear them on fences as ELEPHANT REPELLENT), I just don't understand the appeal of pain.

For reference the absolute hottest I can tolerate are Doritos Jacked Enchilada Supreme chips, and i can just barely force myself to eat those.

Culturally/historically the only reason people started eating spicy food (and why it's still very popular in the third world today) was to cover up the taste of half rotten food, and questionable ingredients.

So can someone explain it to me?  Why do you like pain when you eat?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Endorphins
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't make my food painfully hot, but I like the flavor of really hot peppers. I don't use the seeds as 90% of the heat is in the seeds.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I love spicy food, but not to the point where my mouth hurts after eating it.  The hottest I go is texas pete "hotter hot sauce," which is pretty hot, but not over the top.  Some of the stuff I see people use on their food makes me tear up just by smelling it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand either.  Mild salsa is about as hot as I like stuff.  If something has me drinking a glass of water after one bite to extinguish the burning in my mouth I generally consider it unfit for consumption.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I like spicy foods, but not to the point where they're painful.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
In Michigan Ketchup is considered spicy.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Fire poop thread?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Endorphins
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Jalapenos are about as hot as I like it.  Anything hotter and it completely drowns out the taste.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I love spicy food, but I really don't know why. It's just good!

Sometimes I discover new and interesting flavors, other times I just really enjoy the "burn".
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Just burns so gooooood
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't make my food painfully hot, but I like the flavor of really hot peppers. I don't use the seeds as 90% of the heat is in the seeds.
View Quote

Seeds have no heat, the membrane has all the heat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Chicken vindaloo, Indian hot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Sniff sniff, da hot food hurtz my sensitive palate

Just screwing with you. I like hot stuff because yum. To each their own.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like spicy food, but the problem is, it destroys my guts...I get the lava hershey squirts every time I eat a bunch of spicy things.

My question is, does your asshole and GI tract ever get used to eating spicy shit, so that it doesn't destroy you anymore?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't understand either.  Mild salsa is about as hot as I like stuff.  If something has me drinking a glass of water after one bite to extinguish the burning in my mouth I generally consider it unfit for consumption.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#17]
People's tolerance to different tastes varies tremendously.  I like slightly spicy food, but it can get too hot real quick.

I like a good IPA, yet I know of several people, (one of them I know in person), who swear that no one can enjoy an IPA, and that they are only drinking it in order to look cool.  Now why would I drink some thing I didn't enjoy, time after time, while sitting in the privacy of my home where no one can see how cool I really am?

I very rarely care for sweets, yet I do like dark chocolate.  Go figure!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#18]
For free t shirts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Depending on the dish, a certain level of spiciness adds a lot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I like to find the fine line between holy shit hot and masochism. It's definitely a fine line.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Because it feels so good when you stop.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#22]
You would never survive around here.  

I don't like super spicy food, chicken wings need to be just hot enough to leave my lips numb.  

Great, now I am hungry again.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I eat these for fun

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm just going to say milquetoast
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Lettuce is too spicy for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Hmmm....do they look like regular tortilla chips?  You know I am getting fucking sick of people eating my food in the break room when I am not there..
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Not everyone has the same number of taste buds. I saw a program on very hot peppers and they showed pictures of various tongues/taste buds, low to high. People that have to have super hot/spicy food usually have less buds and people that can't tolerate hot foods at all almost always have a high density of taste buds. I can't take super hot foods, no matter how much I try. Both ends.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hmmm....do they look like regular tortilla chips?  You know I am getting fucking sick of people eating my food in the break room when I am not there..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

yes they do, they look like doritos. I left them out at work with a "hot, do not eat" sticker, it was funny
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Habanero level is where my vag starts to hurt. I do cook with them but usually that is my limit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not everyone has the same number of taste buds. I saw a program on very hot peppers and they showed pictures of a selection of taste buds, low to high. People that have to have super hot/spicy food usually have less buds and people that can't tolerate hot foods at all almost always have a high density of taste buds. I can't take super hot foods, no matter how much I try. Both ends.
View Quote

You have taste buds in your ass?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#32]

WANT!!

Where can I get some? Never seen that brand locally.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not everyone has the same number of taste buds. I saw a program on very hot peppers and they showed pictures of a selection of taste buds, low to high. People that have to have super hot/spicy food usually have less buds and people that can't tolerate hot foods at all almost always have a high density of taste buds. I can't take super hot foods, no matter how much I try. Both ends.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm sorry your digestive tract isn't used to it?

The litmus test for handling spicy food has to be authentic, as in made in the country, Jamaican food.  After that I could eat jalapenos and habaneros no problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

WANT!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

WANT!!

They come out around late sept or early oct. IM me if you cant find any then and i will mail you some
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Use milk instead.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#38]
It's not about the burn going in, it's about the burn coming out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Some people can handle it better than you and to them it isn't as spicy. I love spicy foods. Just made my favorite pico de gallo with Jalapenos, Serranos, and Habaneros. To me it is just enough heat to let me know it's there but not to the point of being painful.

To each his own.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I like spicy food and have a high tolerance for it.  It is a challenge to get people to make things Thai spicy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I love spicy foods.  But only to the point right before my eyes water and my nose starts running.  

However, before I was 30 I never cared for spicy foods.  Over the last five years I've grown to damn near an obsessive state.  Just about everything I eat gets covered in louisana hot sause and I crave Three mile island buffalo wings at least twice a week.

People's tastes just change over time.  In my early teens I couldn't stand the taste of beer.  But now that's all I want to drink with my spicy food.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Buncha pussies in here.

Try Volcano Dust on fries. It's spiritual.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but only buds that taste fire.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They come out around late sept or early oct. IM me if you cant find any then and i will mail you some
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WANT!!

Awesome. you da man!

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I took a friend and his wife to a local fast food Mexican place. Ordered carne asada burritos and told them, no, it isn't hot.

So I'm eating my burrito, adding on lots of hot sauce, and they couldn't finish the burritos even without the additional hot sauce. Too hot. Yeah, sorry, I considered them to be quite mild.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Love me some hot food. Eating a pepper for the sake of feeling the heat is masochistic. Adding the pepper as an ingredient to enhance or complement a recipe is art.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hear people say this all the time.  Never has bothered me that way.

Now I can eat stuff that is too hot.  But if I ever get it down, the heat is gone.

I guess it is like explaining color to a blind man, though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Now I can eat stuff that is too hot.  But if I ever get it down, the heat is gone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, seeing color is a good thing.  Lava shit is a horrible thing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I like spicy food and have a high tolerance for it.  It is a challenge to get people to make things Thai spicy.
View Quote

That's easy you just need some cans of Thai hot sauce:

I don't eat Thai food. EVER.  It is psychotically hot, unfit for human consumption.  The Thais actually consider hot a flavor, they are insane sadomasochistic freaks.  I made the mistake of getting a bowl of instant "Thai" noodles (the kind sort of like Ramen) at the grocery store once, and I thought my mouth was going to melt, once the blistering pain went away I lost all feeling in my mouth for the next several hours, and that's "mild" by Thai standards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#50]
I like a little bit of a challenge, but nothing ridiculous, and it has to have good flavor.  Pluckers "buffalo hot" is great, Wing Stop "atomic" is just brutal.  The heat definitely gives you a bit of a buzz too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top