Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 3:34:12 PM EDT
Why is it that a train with several Diesel Loco's always seems to have one that has the cab pointing in the opposite direction from the others.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It's so they don't have to turn the engine to get one facing forward when they change directions.

ETA: Turn around as in on a turn table or a wye.  If the train needs to head back in the direction it came from they don't have to turn the engine around.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
What about if it is on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Because long hood lead sucks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's it noting to do with pulling or tractive force?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  Locomotives pretty much put out the same power and tractive force either direction.  From what I've been told.  Also, sometimes the engines are arranged as they are simply cause that's how they were sitting on the siding.  Kind of a bitch to turn them around, ya know!  I have heard that they do try to have the second engine facing the opposite direction to make things easier if they need to ditch the lead.

And besides, driving long hood looks like it would suck!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Electric traction motors are great in the fact that they don't need a gearbox to reverse, so max forward speed/output == max reverse speed/output. Motor gives no fucks which way it's turning
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen lots with 2-3 locomotives in front, with 1-2  hooked to the rear of the train.

Is that for the same reason - if they have to reverse the train - or is there a different reason?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Locomotive mechanic checking in... it does not matter which way they are facing, it's usually whichever way it was on the track.  Someone up top said the traction motors give no fucks which way they turn, this is correct.  It's easier to walk back and forth between the two when they are facing each other.  

And here's something else to think about... sometimes only one locomotive will actually have an engine, the other is a "dead-head" and it's just used for its traction motors and compressor.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've seen lots with 2-3 locomotives in front, with 1-2  hooked to the rear of the train.

Is that for the same reason - if they have to reverse the train - or is there a different reason?
View Quote

The engines on the rear are pushers. Used on heavy loads like coal or helping push up a big hill.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
       sweet

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
In many cases where you may see a consist with over 3 engines, the rest are not "online" and are just being repositioned to another terminal.

Obviously terrain is a huge factor in how trains are built and how much horsepower you need to get from place to place. Say in West Virginia a train may require 3 engines where as the same train in Indiana may only require 1.  

Another aspect to consider is stopping. In dynamic brake the engine's traction motors actually provide braking force by inverting the current and turning the traction into heat.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I call BS to all the above!  They're really rolling back the odometers!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Not really relevant but I thought this was funny!

It's actually not a bad engine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is that for the same reason -  if they have to reverse the train - or is there a different reason?
View Quote

The ones on the rear are called Distributed Power Units or DPUs.  DPUs are used for many reasons: added power, better braking, faster startups, less wear and tear on cars
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I raffed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/mjhrwd/media/41A40660-97E8-4B70-A48A-F496570A4F38_zps6tboiwgg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p509/mjhrwd/41A40660-97E8-4B70-A48A-F496570A4F38_zps6tboiwgg.jpg</a>

View Quote

well they suck to ride in for anything other than  locals...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/mjhrwd/media/41A40660-97E8-4B70-A48A-F496570A4F38_zps6tboiwgg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p509/mjhrwd/41A40660-97E8-4B70-A48A-F496570A4F38_zps6tboiwgg.jpg</a>

View Quote

Sorry but actually, yes it does. May be good for switching, but get back to me when you've been stuck on one for 12+ hours for 130 miles during the middle of the winter or summer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Damn I knew it was to good of a deal on that used SD-45. Little old lady ran it only on Sundays, my ass.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After NS puts them thru their rebuild program, they are nice, completely rebuilt units.  The local and road freights around here get one fresh out of rebuild about one week per month and the crews don't seem to have any complaints.  After they get broken in for a week or two they are rotated out for whatever else Juniata has need for break-in / post repair testing.  It's hilarious the weeks they get an SD-70M, SD-60 or big GE from Juniata, with five or six cars being hauled around by one of those giant units.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top