User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you'll never experience another culture or country.... got it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you refuse to deal with the TSA, how will you get to Czechoslovakia?

If I ever can afford to go, it would be by private charter.

I refuse to be strip searched, or groped in the name of security kabooki theater.

Pretty much.  But I will not compromise my principals, or endanger my life by being defenseless.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  The only firearm you can carry without any regulation is doubleshot blackpowder derringer..

TSA stands for "Time and Space travel Agency"? That would be the only way to get to Czechoslovakia..
View All Quotes
Quoted:  The only firearm you can carry without any regulation is doubleshot blackpowder derringer..

Quoted:  If you refuse to deal with the TSA, how will you get to Czechoslovakia?

TSA stands for "Time and Space travel Agency"? That would be the only way to get to Czechoslovakia..

Tourists can carry blackpowder derringers?  How many can we carry, and can we buy them locally, w/ powder & boolits?  How much do they run?  I can carry a bag of blackpowder derringers around in my murse.

OP can walk across the border into Canada or Mexico, and fly to Europe and back without ever dealing with the TSA.  If he flies back through Mexico, and walks across the border, he'll be given a free XBox.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Tourists can carry blackpowder derringers?  How many can we carry, and can we buy them locally, w/ powder & boolits?  How much do they run?  I can carry a bag of blackpowder derringers around in my murse.

OP can walk across the border into Canada or Mexico, and fly to Europe and back without ever dealing with the TSA.  If he flies back through Mexico, and walks across the border, he'll be given a free XBox.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  If you refuse to deal with the TSA, how will you get to Czechoslovakia?

I might actually consider a brief foray in to Canada if it's just to go to the airport.  However that would mean mailing my pistol ahead. (assuming I can actually get a Czech permit after all.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Pretty much.  But I will not compromise my principals, or endanger my life by being defenseless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I refuse to be strip searched, or groped in the name of security kabooki theater.

A gun isn't fhe only way to defend yourself when overseas. I carry everywhere I can and when I can't I use other means of self defense. A steak knife isn't illegal in most countries last I checked.

Your mind is the weapon.... the gun is a tool.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A gun isn't fhe only way to defend yourself when overseas. I carry everywhere I can and when I can't I use other means of self defense. A steak knife isn't illegal in most countries last I checked.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah what he said.   Go travel - you are missing out if you do not.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not the only weapon, but it is the most effective.  If I'm confronted with a criminal with a gun (since they don't obey the laws) I don't want to be armed only with a "self defense" pen.  For that matter if confronted by a criminal armed only with an iron pipe I don't want to be limited only to melee weapons.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Other than the Czech and Slovak Republics which have already been covered, the only other place I can think of where a CCW is readily obtainable by normal people is Northern Ireland. It may have changed, but it used to be that if you had a firearms certificate there, you could carry a loaded pistol.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  I might actually consider a brief foray in to Canada if it's just to go to the airport.  However that would mean mailing my pistol ahead. (assuming I can actually get a Czech permit after all.)
View Quote

It's possible to get a Canadian carry permit, but probably far easier to get a Mexican one.  Sounds like unless you're getting permanent residency in the Czech Republic, your best bet is to buy some double bbl blackpowder derringers when you get there - I imagine our Czech members will hook you up w/ a gunshop & you can pre-order.  Which would be your preference - 8 x .38", 4 x .45", or would you go w/ just twin .50"s?    W/ .38", you could end up spending more on holsters than on the pistols themselves...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pretty well i would say, thats almost 2 awerage wages.
There are quite a few expats speaking next to no Czech even after 10+ years of continuous residency..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Estonia (not sure if "shall", but certainly "nearly shall").

Czechia allows translator, so you dont necessarily have to speak Czech.

Interesting, how well could a person on a US mil retirement live there?  $2400 a month or so?  

Pretty well i would say, thats almost 2 awerage wages.
There are quite a few expats speaking next to no Czech even after 10+ years of continuous residency..

That's not cool. I would make sure to learn the language if I lived there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with you there, I am most definitely missing out.  I would love to see Big Ben, wander the streets of London, go see the Eiffel Tower, and the Louvre, see the beaches of Normandy, the Acropolis, and the Colosseum.  Climb the pyramids, and walk the Great Wall etc., hell I wouldn't mind going to Disney Land, but no gun=no me.  Go to USA Carry, and pull up the CCW reciprocity map for Michigan, that is my world.  I'm willing to get licenses to visit red listed places, but who else actually issues them to non resident commoners?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's possible to get a Canadian carry permit, but probably far easier to get a Mexican one.  Sounds like unless you're getting permanent residency in the Czech Republic, your best bet is to buy some double bbl blackpowder derringers when you get there - I imagine our Czech members will hook you up w/ a gunshop & you can pre-order.  Which would be your preference - 8 x .38", 4 x .45", or would you go w/ just twin .50"s?    W/ .38", you could end up spending more on holsters than on the pistols themselves...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I might actually consider a brief foray in to Canada if it's just to go to the airport.  However that would mean mailing my pistol ahead. (assuming I can actually get a Czech permit after all.)

I've been to two gun stores in Prague 1 alone. One of them is right off Wenceslas Square and has all sorts of cowboy-type stuff, the other is the CZ factory store which is very nice (but probably doesn't have any black powder derringers). There are more if you take a short trolley ride.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Czech Republic is may issue.

Handgun laws are not half bad as Europe goes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree with you there, I am most definitely missing out.  I would love to see Big Ben, wander the streets of London, go see the Eiffel Tower, and the Louvre, see the beaches of Normandy, the Acropolis, and the Colosseum.  Climb the pyramids, and walk the Great Wall etc., hell I wouldn't mind going to Disney Land, but no gun=no me.  Go to USA Carry, and pull up the CCW reciprocity map for Michigan, that is my world.  I'm willing to get licenses to visit red listed places, but who else actually issues them to non resident commoners?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Florida, Virginia, Utah, and Mexico.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

From what I've been told and have read, though, they don't really look for stupid reasons to deny you. If you pass the test and the background, you get the license.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

From what I've been told and have read, though, they don't really look for stupid reasons to deny you. If you pass the test and the background, you get the license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my understanding as well, kind of like Alabama.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah umm, have fun.  Life is too short to worry about not being able to take your gun somewhere.  

I'd rather die at the hands of a criminal knowing that I experienced everything I could in life, rather than in living in fear and not seeing anything I wanted to because I couldn't carry.

You are going to die anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Czech BP pistols

I wouldn't feel naked with a brace of these.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#18]
v
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty much what I have heard.

Just don't be a shady person and you are good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Czech BP pistols

View Quote

There you go, OP.  4 x .45" derringers, and you're better armed than a New Yorker w/ a 1911.  And you can carry them in Slovakia as well, so now you can visit 2 European countries.  What other European countries allow blackpowder derringer carry?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Czech BP pistols

View Quote
Holy crap that's big!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Czech BP pistols

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Czech BP pistols

There is .54" version

Quoted:

Nope, fulfil all (age, test, health, clear* offence register, residency) requirements  and cop cannot say no. That is "shall-issue ccw"  in my vocabulary. Not fast or super easy, but its shall-issue. And its not limited to handguns.

*not really clear,  even murderer can get gun 10 years after he is  released from jail.. shorter period for less serious crimes.

Quoted:

Yes, anyone over 18 can, black powder and percusion primers can be bought at same conditions. There is no limit besides 3kg of powder / 1000 primers (nor really enforced). I would rather carry telescopic baton, as it would be more practical and Prague is rather safe.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There is .54" version
http://greatgun.eshop-zdarma.cz/shopy/greatgun.eshop-zdarma.cz/zbozi/138/1368103771.jpg

Nope, fulfil all (age, test, health, clear* offence register, residency) requirements  and cop cannot say no. That is "shall-issue ccw"  in my vocabulary. Not fast or super easy, but its shall-issue. And its not limited to handguns.

*not really clear,  even murderer can get gun 10 years after he is  released from jail.. shorter period for less serious crimes.

Yes, anyone over 18 can, black powder and percusion primers can be bought at same conditions. There is no limit besides 3kg of powder / 1000 primers (nor really enforced). I would rather carry telescopic baton, as it would be more practical and Prague is rather safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Czech BP pistols

There is .54" version
http://greatgun.eshop-zdarma.cz/shopy/greatgun.eshop-zdarma.cz/zbozi/138/1368103771.jpg

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about other BP guns like cap, and ball revolvers?, or does the law specifically say 2 shot derringers?

To me carrying something as crude, and ineffective as a Derringer is almost as bad as no gun at all, your talking about something that can not be carried cocked do to an exposed (no trigger gaurd) trigger, and the risk of the cap falling off, that you not only have to cock once, you have to re-cock AND move the firing pin for the second shot.  I'm with you in thinking a colapsible batton would probably be better.  I would carry one, but I'm probably just going to get the one shot.  Given that I would almost rather have both barrels fire at once, or just have a single much larger bore say around .75, or .80 caliber.  Can you use a side by side with duel triggers?

If I'm limited to black powder cap, and ball I think I would go with a Walker Colt.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#23]
The problem is that any BP gun with more than 2 chambers requires gun licence.. So the only other good option is to find something useful made before 1890 as its "un"regulated too.

btw: What can i carry as a tourist in USA?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The problem is that any BP gun with more than 2 chambers requires gun licence.. So the only other good option is to find something useful made before 1890 as its "un"regulated too.

View Quote

Hmm, may have to buy a Smith And Wesson Number 3 American.  Does the 1890 thing apply just to black powder, or are cartridge arms OK?

As far as the US, it depends on the state, but theoretically anything as far as I know, I never really looked in to it.  Purchasing might be an issue though, I'm not sure.

As far as Michigan (My State) is concerned?  We have a stupid registration law that basically says all non cap, and ball handguns (anything shorter than 26 inches in overall length) has to be registered to posses here, and only residents can register.  HOWEVER this does not apply if you have a carry permit from your home state, or country.  Would the Czech one work?  I'm not sure.

If it does, and you legally "import" your guns you can carry whatever hand gun you want concealed everywhere we can, or you can carry openly (including long guns), and carry anywhere except post offices, courts, and federal buildings.

If it does not, you may openly carry a cap, and ball revolver, muzzle loading pistol, or any long gun you want, but not in to any church, bank, theater, day care, sports arena, court, hospital, or anywhere that sells alcohol whether to drink there, or not. (which includes most restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations).  Also you may not get in, or on any kind of vehicle while carrying, even a bicycle, or public bus as they consider that concealed whether it is or not.

Other states differ, but most are even more flexible than Michigan, at least in terms of open carry without a license.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cap & ball revolver.  ; )  Or anything made before 1899 - small ring Mausers, some Mosins, older Colt revolvers, etc.  Need a residency permit to buy Title 1 firearms - ie, cartridge loading firearms made after 1898.

How much do your black powder derringers run?  I'm thinking OP could get 3-4 of 'em & be reasonably well armed.  He can escape behind the smokescreen.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#26]
1890 applies to anything. e.g. Mauser G.1888 ( barrel and bolt must be made before 1890 ) or even artillery.

So open carry is nearly unrestricted but concealed is big NO?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  1890 applies to anything. e.g. Mauser G.1888 ( barrel and bolt must be made before 1890 ) or even artillery.

View Quote

Open carry is restricted in California, and for pistols in Texas.  (ARFCOM gets very upset when Texans open carry rifles or shotguns)  It varies state by state.

The only thing you can buy over here as a tourist is blackpowder guns, & pre-1899 cartridge arms.  But those you can conceal, generally, as the law does not consider those firearms.

What you might be able to do is get a non-resident concealed carry permit from one of the states that issue those, and bring your own pistol with you.  That process would take some time, but might be possible.  There's a few states where you would not need any permit to carry concealed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
1890 applies to anything. e.g. Mauser G.1888 ( barrel and bolt must be made before 1890 ) or even artillery.

View Quote

What are the laws regarding importation of pre-1890 firearms or black powder derringers?  Could someone visiting bring those in and carry them rather than try to buy something in the country?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sure. You just have to meet their basic requirements- possess a home state license, take an MA approved safety course, fill out a form and send it in with $100, visit on the assigned day, and wait until eventually your license arrives in the mail. It's either that easy, or I'm a celebrity.

Getting a Connecticut non-resident permit is even easier and cheaper than getting a resident permit. That is an entirely mail order process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:SNIP

You know I would like to visit Prague some day.....

How would it work for a tourist to get one?  What's the wait time?  Do I have to make a second trip to pick it up, or can they mail it to me?  How long is it good for?  Can it be renewed by mail?  Can I bring my own gun, or would I have to buy one once I'm there then just stash it in a safe deposit box for my eventual return?  Do you have places where carry is not allowed?  Is there any distinction between concealed, and open carry, or pistol vs. rifle?

I have 2 simple requirements to visit another country (or another state) it must be civilized, and it must allow me to carry (at least relatively restriction free).  So far The Czech Republic is the only place on my approved list outside the US.

(For reference I also will not step foot in California, Oregon, Illinois, New York, Hawaii, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Colorado (do to Magazine ban), Guam, Puerto Rico, The U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, or Washington D.C..  I will visit Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire, but only by boat, or private plane as their position leaves them geographically isolated behind New York, and I can not go through Canada, and I refuse to deal with the TSA, Alaska is similarly cut off.)
MA has an out of state permit, how is that any different than getting a license in another country, which you already seem willing to do.

The key part is SHALL ISSUE.  Massachusetts may issue one (key word MAY), but can I actually get it?  I am not rich, or politically connected, can not afford to "contribute" to anybody's "campaign fund" and I am not a celebrity, so can I get one?

Sure. You just have to meet their basic requirements- possess a home state license, take an MA approved safety course, fill out a form and send it in with $100, visit on the assigned day, and wait until eventually your license arrives in the mail. It's either that easy, or I'm a celebrity.

Getting a Connecticut non-resident permit is even easier and cheaper than getting a resident permit. That is an entirely mail order process.

I've heard that they have been issuing target and hunting only unless you can convince them that you "need" all lawful purposes. Also, who the hell wants to go to Chelsea, MA unarmed for the interview? It is a catch-22.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Time travel would be truly impressive.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Actual video of OP.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Private charter? LOL!

What theater? I fly all the time and I have never been strip searched. I've never been groped either.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back to the basement where it's safe!!!!!!!    
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Private charter? LOL!

What theater? I fly all the time and I have never been strip searched. I've never been groped either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Private charter? LOL!

The body scanners are a virtual strip search machine.  They show you naked, how is that different from a strip search?  If you refuse the strip search you will be very invasively "pat down" this goes far beyond anything reasonably referred to as a "pat down", including actually sticking their hands down your pants, and cupping your genitals, no other way to describe it other than being groped.

Private charter is ungodly expensive, but if ever there comes a day when I travel to the Czech Republic, short of the TSA suddenly discovering the 4th Amendment it will HAVE to be by private charter.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#35]
South Africa has a self defense permit which is basically a CCW.

Allows full auto also
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
South Africa has a self defense permit which is basically a CCW.

Allows full auto also
View Quote

Good to know, but it's also South Africa.  Might as well be Mogadishu.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  South Africa has a self defense permit which is basically a CCW.

Allows full auto also
View Quote

True - but you're expected to use it there.  And to get weapons in & out of South Africa is a pain, go talk to the outfitters.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The body scanners are a virtual strip search machine.  They show you naked, how is that different from a strip search?  If you refuse the strip search you will be very invasively "pat down" this goes far beyond anything reasonably referred to as a "pat down", including actually sticking their hands down your pants, and cupping your genitals, no other way to describe it other than being groped.

Private charter is ungodly expensive, but if ever there comes a day when I travel to the Czech Republic, short of the TSA suddenly discovering the 4th Amendment it will HAVE to be by private charter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Private charter? LOL!

I'm pretty sure you have never travelled anywhere.  I travel internationally all the time and have never been "groped", strip searched (no, the backscatter x-ray machines are nothing like a strip search), fondled or anything else travelling.

I have experienced a great deal of things in other cultures that you will never get to experience because of your myopic world view though, so there's that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each his own, and whatever floats your boat.

However, there is an irony here. Knowingly denying yourself some of the very awesomest things in life for the sake of principle, or fear of being attacked unarmed, is self-defeating in a way....it's letting those who may have harmed you, actually harm you by depriving you of a part of your life you'll have missed out on. There's maybe a 0.5% chance that some guy in an alley in London may have stabbed you and took your wallet if you went, but there's a 100% chance that every evildoer in London will rob you of the memories & experiences you would have had if you went, if you don't go for these reasons.

Same logic as things like the TSA....we go over-board in some ways on security so the terrorists don't win. But haven't they won, in some way, by changing the way we do things in this country in the first place?

Just food for thought. Not trying to get all argumentative or anything.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#40]
OP has an infantile view of the world.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

If his previous threads are true, he's a 30 year old man.  I predict, when he's much older...he'll look back and wish he'd taken a chance and actually lived.  I feel bad for him, I really do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Private charter? LOL!

Complete bullshit. No one has ever cupped my genitals or stuck their hand down my pants. In fact, I actually find their pat down to be quite a joke.

As to the "nudie scanner", more bullshit.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and are way out of your lane. It is also quite obvious you have never actually gone through any of the screening prior to travel. You are simPly parroting what you read on the Internet. I mean, it's on the Internet, right? Bon jour!!

Your Internet parroting is made even more obvious by your continued use in this thread, and the other on you just started, of those token terms like "hoplophobic" and such.

Tell us, come on now, be truthful.....how many times have you flown on a commercial plane and when was the last time? What foreign countries have you been too?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Oh, and this thread (and the other OP started) aren't going the way he hoped.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If his previous threads are true, he's a 30 year old man.  I predict, when he's much older...he'll look back and wish he'd taken a chance and actually lived.  I feel bad for him, I really do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I new a guy once who sounded a lot like the OP. He didn't take the "I can't take my gun, I ain't going" paranoia of the OP as far though. He was more hung up on the "I don't need to go to no foreign country! Merica!" Truth is, it was more of a jealousy thing since he didn't have the financial means to travel very often, or far, let alone international.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I new a guy once who sounded a lot like the OP. He didn't take the "I can't take my gun, I ain't going" paranoia of the OP as far though. He was more hung up on the "I don't need to go to no foreign country! Merica!" Truth is, it was more of a jealousy thing since he didn't have the financial means to travel very often, or far, let alone international.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will say the last time I visited Mexico, I was paranoid as hell, and would have felt much more comfortable had I a legal revolver in my pocket.  Would've stayed longer as well.  I think the OP has staked out a reasonable position.  Those of us who are willing to trust a foreign police force for our safety are free to do so, and OP chooses to rely solely on himself for personal defense.  I don't see that as an infantile notion.  The more folks like OP, the more pressure for the states to recognize each other's CC licenses under the Full Faith and Credit clause.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top