Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2014 12:29:57 PM EDT
Long story short.  Ordered Silver coins from someone with a 700+ feedback so thought they were good to go.  After stringing me along for a bit, they suddenly changed their feedback to "private" and refused to answer my emails.  I reported them to eBay but they require 3 buisiness days for the seller to respond to your accusation.  Now I see that the seller has "no items for sale."  They must have pulled the plug on their account completely.

What can I expect next?  eBay / Paypal good about refunding your money or is this going to be another hassle?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The way paypal works, if you're the buyer you are in pretty good shape.  If you are a seller they will fuck you.

ETA-If you reported it before he got all of his money out of paypal, his money will be stuck in paypal while your issue is pending.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The way paypal works, if you're the buyer you are in pretty good shape.  If you are a seller they will fuck you.  

ETA-If you reported it before he got all of his money out of paypal, his money will be stuck in paypal while your issue is pending.
View Quote

At this point, I'm sure he took all the money out of paypal.  That's probably why the delay between hiding his feedback, stringing me along, and then pulling the plug entirely.  Fucker.  I hope he gets ass cancer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of coins?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Many years ago I got fucked by a seller.  Ebay was helpful, Florida police also.  I eventually got my money back.

But this a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What kind of coins?
View Quote

Silver Eagles
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Both PayPal and eBay are slow in dealing with this kind of thing. Your payment wasn't transferred yet, was it?

The only way you will be REALLY screwed is if the seller withdrew all his funds from PayPal to his bank, THEN closed his bank account, so that PayPal could not reverse the charges.

Even so, I think PayPal will assume the loss rather than you getting stuck with it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]
It's this waiting that's pissing me off.  eBay assumes we can "work it out" in these 72 hours before I can "escalate it to the resolution center."

Work what out?  This FUCK took the money and ran!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]

relax, you'll get your money back, just takes a little while.

eBay/Paypal has some pretty good buyer protection, it's the sellers

that they will fuck over mercilessly.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Both PayPal and eBay are slow in dealing with this kind of thing. Your payment wasn't transferred yet, was it?

The only way you will be REALLY screwed is if the seller withdrew all his funds from PayPal to his bank, THEN closed his bank account, so that PayPal could not reverse the charges.

Even so, I think PayPal will assume the loss rather than you getting stuck with it.
View Quote

I think this is EXACTLY what he did.  Built up a real nice seller profile for a while first (700 feedback) and probably fucked a whole bunch of people in the past month to make up for it.

I shudder to think how much money this prick stole from people all over the country.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
How much did he get you for? If it's more than a few hundred I'd be on the horn with LE.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Paypal will eat it if they have to, you will be reimbursed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
relax, you'll get your money back, just takes a little while.

eBay/Paypal has some pretty good buyer protection, it's the sellers

that they will fuck over mercilessly.

View Quote

Good to hear, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How much did he get you for? If it's more than a few hundred I'd be on the horn with LE.
View Quote

About $220.  Not a huge order, but enough to really piss me off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think this is EXACTLY what he did.  Built up a real nice seller profile for a while first (700 feedback) and probably fucked a whole bunch of people in the past month to make up for it.

I shudder to think how much money this prick stole from people all over the country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or he bought an account from an established seller.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Depending on the amount, its grand larceny, a felony. I hope you have the bastards personal info, if so skip the ebay bs all together and contact the police to pursue criminal charges, the key when dealing with dirt bags here is never let up or go easy on him, make his life a living hell. Find out where he works, get his families info call them all. Make his life a living hell until you get your money back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that. I think PP will get you back after they've exhausted their efforts with the seller.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Long story short.  Ordered Silver coins from someone with a 700+ feedback so thought they were good to go.  After stringing me along for a bit, they suddenly changed their feedback to "private" and refused to answer my emails.  I reported them to eBay but they require 3 buisiness days for the seller to respond to your accusation.  Now I see that the seller has "no items for sale."  They must have pulled the plug on their account completely.

What can I expect next?  eBay / Paypal good about refunding your money or is this going to be another hassle?
View Quote

There is a recent episode of Judge Judy that describes the exact same scenario(except in the episode, the quality of the coins was in question). You should be able to get your money back as long as it hasn't been too long. Put in a paypal issue and an ebay issue immediately, and follow up daily.

PS: Judge Judy said that if you see something that is a known value like precious metals on ebay, and its cheaper than the market, AVOID IT. People can sell that stuff anywhere, so if they are selling it for cheaper than it should be, something is wrong with it. Judge Judy knows all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#18]
One other thing, although I'm not 100% sure he did this, and quite frankly, don't know how he would have managed to do it, but I would swear that he changed the description of the sale after the auction ended.

Unless what he did was modify the auction at the very last second.

I was bidding in the last moments of the auction, when I won it.  I'll bet he did that too.

Basically, when I was bidding, I would swear that the coins were going to ship within 3-5 days.  Then, after a week went by and I didn't receive the coins or a tracking number, I went back and looked  at the original auction again.  It said that "This is a presale of the coins, they will ship directly from the Mint in a tube on July 15."  Mind you, the auction ended way back in June.  I thought it was strange, but figured I had just missed that part when I bid and chalked it up to a mistake on my part.

In retrospect, it was no mistake, it was a scam.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There is a recent episode of Judge Judy that describes the exact same scenario(except in the episode, the quality of the coins was in question). You should be able to get your money back as long as it hasn't been too long. Put in a paypal issue and an ebay issue immediately, and follow up daily.

PS: Judge Judy said that if you see something that is a known value like precious metals on ebay, and its cheaper than the market, AVOID IT. People can sell that stuff anywhere, so if they are selling it for cheaper than it should be, something is wrong with it. Judge Judy knows all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't find a paypal "report" button.  It sends me to the eBay link that I'm going through now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't know you could do that!  Holy hell... fucking eBay.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One other thing, although I'm not 100% sure he did this, and quite frankly, don't know how he would have managed to do it, but I would swear that he changed the description of the sale after the auction ended.

I was bidding in the last moments of the auction, when I won it.  I'll bet he did that too.

Basically, when I was bidding, I would swear that the coins were going to ship within 3-5 days.  Then, after a week went by and I didn't receive the coins or a tracking number, I went back and looked  at the original auction again.  It said that "This is a presale of the coins, they will ship directly from the Mint in a tube on July 15."  Mind you, the auction ended way back in June.  I thought it was strange, but figured I had just missed that part when I bid and chalked it up to a mistake on my part.

View Quote

I do know that they cannot change the description once someone has purchased or bid. That is supposed to be impossible iirc. It can slip through during the transaction though. Don't worry, ebay keeps a full edit history, and it's visible from the sellers window(so ebay can see it too).

Just make sure you are 100 percent positive about this before you accuse. Because if you accuse of something that didn't happen for sure, you may muddy the water for the rest of the claim.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These accounts with 700 reviews are very valuable, so he would have to be moving some heavy merch to make that feasible. How much did he get?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow, my fucking blood is boiling over this now.

All I have is the (probably fake) email address from paypal.  This prick is likely long gone.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:Just make sure you are 100 percent positive about this before you accuse. Because if you accuse of something that didn't happen for sure, you may muddy the water for the rest of the claim.
View Quote

I don't know how else I could interpret the situation.  Money transferred to someone who is now a ghost...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

These accounts with 700 reviews are very valuable, so he would have to be moving some heavy merch to make that feasible. How much did he get?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of me, about $220.  Multiply that by I don't know how many other people he fucked....  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Just open a claim.  You'll get your $ back, assuming you haven't waited too long.  45 days I think is the limit to how long you generally have to open a claim.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a modular sleep system off eBay and the seller forgot to add the compression sack even though it was included in the sale description. Went through the resolution center and the seller immediately sent the remaining item. So it was a good experience. But your seller sounds like a huge shitbag.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow, my fucking blood is boiling over this now.

All I have is the (probably fake) email address from paypal.  This prick is likely long gone.
View Quote

While I don't use PP, I have read plenty from folks who have been scammed.

If you really want to ensure that your payments are "safe", use a CC to make your payment through PayPal.  Do NOT make the payment using your bank account.  That way even if PayPal denies your claim you can dispute the transaction with your credit card company, and they will happily fuck PayPal over if you can prove you didn't receive what you paid for.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes....several times.....as buyer and seller...

As a seller, I sold a college text. When I sold it, the person wrote back asked if they could withdraw since it was wrong. I offered to allow them to withdraw for 4 bucks to recoup fees from ebay and paypal. They went ahead and paid it....which seemed suspicious. The person at the post office recommended a tracking number because they said sometimes people will try to scam you. Sure enough, the person made a claim and said they had not received it. They did not even contact us. We contacted both paypal and the buyer and gave them the tracking number which stated which day they got it...the buyer never replied ...eventually the hold on our paypal account was lifted but the person ticked me off royally.

We had a few instances as a buyer as well.

We always came out okay. Most of the time, these people doing this are scammers.

You will be fine, you might have to wait 30 days but you will be okay.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish you the best of luck with E-bay/PP making it right. As a buyer you have it infinitely better than the seller.

Not too relevant but I sold a $100 ceramic item on E-bay last year and the seller said it was damaged in transit and wanted a refund. E-bay required the buyer to return the broken item to get the refund.

I only asked them to send me a photo of the damage and I would refund the money. They wouldn't send a photo or the item back.

You want to know what e-bay/PP did? They actually didn't refund the money but let them leave negative feedback for me which is complete horseshit for a scam. I do have the buyer's information for future reference though!

My 900+ 100% feedback rating took a negative hit which dropped my percentage and of course affects future sales as many people only purchase from those with perfect feedback. Needless to say I pretty much stopped selling on e-bay and started using craigslist most of the time. Plus I don't get charged the rape fees of around 20-25% of everything I sell.

Fuck E-bay/PP and while were at it FBHO!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#32]
As long you use eBay to try to contact the seller whether the seller gets back to you or not, eBay will see that communication and accept it as proof you tried to correct it. Just leave the communications intact and do it through eBay so they can track the issue. Had a 40.00 scam done to me and seller removed herself. eBay resolved it within 4 weeks. The eBay Buyer Protection was what protected me. With PP being part of eBay, they must've went after the seller mercifully as well, even for 40 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I bought a modular sleep system off eBay and the seller forgot to add the compression sack even though it was included in the sale description. Went through the resolution center and the seller immediately sent the remaining item. So it was a good experience. But your seller sounds like a huge shitbag.
View Quote

That's the difference between someone who accidentally makes a mistake or thinks they are being sneaky and get caught vs. someone who sets out to rip people off from the beginning
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I always had a satisfactory result from using eBay's resolution center.

One time I had to wait 1 month + 3 days, but I got my money back in the end.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Depending on the amount, its grand larceny, a felony. I hope you have the bastards personal info, if so skip the ebay bs all together and contact the police to pursue criminal charges, the key when dealing with dirt bags here is never let up or go easy on him, make his life a living hell. Find out where he works, get his families info call them all. Make his life a living hell until you get your money back.
View Quote

I tried that when I shipped an item (1895 first edition, three-volume set of the speeches and writings of Abraham Lincoln with a foreward by Walt Whitman) after receiving a $250 check, and then the check didn't clear. I should have waited for it to clear, but I had over 200 previous sales on eBay without a single problem, so I trusted the guy.

eBay was NO HELP at all. His personal information was all bogus, and his telephone number was to some grade school in Virginia. His shipping address was to a P.O. box that was discontinued.

I filed mail fraud charges with the USPS and that got me nowhere. Union employees an't got time fo dat.

He had a username/nickname of "fastballer" on eBay and I googled the hell out of that. All the fastballers on various sports forums all seemed to be one person, and I was able to find out who that person was -- a bank vice president in San Francisco.

I called the SF Police Department and spoke to several people, but they absolutely did NOT want to get involved.

I googled the hell out of the bank and was able to get "fastballer's" business number and the business number of his boss.

A quick call to "fastballer" with a mention of his boss's name had him shitting bricks. I had the books back in a few days. Then I called him back and told him to fuck himself.

You may want to file a report with the police, but your local department is going to want it referred to the Police in the offender's home town, and they will want it referred back to your local law enforcement.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I tried that when I shipped an item (1895 first edition, three-volume set of the speeches and writings of Abraham Lincoln with a foreward by Walt Whitman) after receiving a $250 check, and then the check didn't clear. I should have waited for it to clear, but I had over 200 previous sales on eBay without a single problem, so I trusted the guy.

eBay was NO HELP at all. His personal information was all bogus, and his telephone number was to some grade school in Virginia. His shipping address was to a P.O. box that was discontinued.

I filed mail fraud charges with the USPS and that got me nowhere. Union employees an't got time fo dat.

He had a username/nickname of "fastballer" on eBay and I googled the hell out of that. All the fastballers on various sports forums all seemed to be one person, and I was able to find out who that person was -- a bank vice president in San Francisco.

I called the SF Police Department and spoke to several people, but they absolutely did NOT want to get involved.

I googled the hell out of the bank and was able to get "fastballer's" business number and the business number of his boss.

A quick call to "fastballer" with a mention of his boss's name had him shitting bricks. I had the books back in a few days. Then I called him back and told him to fuck himself.

You may want to file a report with the police, but your local department is going to want it referred to the Police in the offender's home town, and they will want it referred back to your local law enforcement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems like a lot of trouble on the part of someone who presumably has money to steal a couple hundred worth of books?  Did he just have some sort of scam fetish?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That seems like a lot of trouble on the part of someone who presumably has money to steal a couple hundred worth of books?  Did he just have some sort of scam fetish?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't think it was much trouble on his part. He was just a fish hook waiting for a fish to bite. But I went through a lot of trouble to get the books back.

His mistake was using the same username that he used at 50 other web sites.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Ebay is very slanted toward the buyer.  You will get your money back unless you were completely confused as to what you were bidding on.

Every once and a while someone sells a picture of something, usually around Christmas time,  "Picture of a Brand New Playstation 4" stuff like that.  In situations like that if the seller sends the person a picture of a Playstation 4 they might win, short of that the Buyer always wins, even when they shouldn't.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much the above. If you paid via credit card via Paypal, you should be doubly protected. You did pay via credit card didn't you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

He can't modify an auction that has been bid on already. H can only ADD to the description. Not take away or change anything.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Usually when you sell something, the money is held in PayPal until a week or so passed, but if they haven't shipped it it can be longer
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I've had two deals on eBay go sideways. As the buyer, the Resolution Center sorted things out riki tik. No complaints on my end.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Usually when you sell something, the money is held in PayPal until a week or so passed, but if they haven't shipped it it can be longer
View Quote

I'm sorry that isn't true, unless you have some sort of limitations on your ebay/paypal account.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats only for new accounts. Payments are instant for established sellers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Pretty much the above. If you paid via credit card via Paypal, you should be doubly protected. You did pay via credit card didn't you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, drawn from checking account.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#47]
UPDATE:

Got this email from eBay:

The seller has asked eBay Customer Support to review this case and make a final decision.  

We'll review the case details, such as messages sent in the Resolutions Center about this case and other emails sent through eBay between you and the seller. If we have questions, we'll get in touch with you. We'll get back to you within 48 hours.

You can view the details of this case in the Resolution Center.

Now, what's this guy's angle?  Why would he want to do this?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I sold a Remington PSS stock.When the buyer received it he claimed it was NOT a PSS but a Sendero.......he sure talked like an expert ,had dates,colors,mfg's,etc.
He wanted a refund.I said "OK,no problem...return the stock and I'll  refund your money AND pay return shipping" ..I never heard from him for 2 weeks.I sent another note asking what he wanted to do......no response.Then the next week he filed a claim against me with ebay/Paypal....ebay ruled in my favor and I kept his money and he kept the stock.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#49]
UPDATE AGAIN

Wow, that was fast!!!

eBay ruled in your favor in your dispute case, and a full refund of $219.50 USD was sent to your PayPal account for your purchase from Xxxx Xxxxxxx. It may take 3-5 business days to receive the refund in your account. eBay will then consider the dispute closed. If you have any questions, please go to the eBay Resolution Center.

It must have been VERY apparent from their point of view that this guy was a scammer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

At this point, I'm sure he took all the money out of paypal.  That's probably why the delay between hiding his feedback, stringing me along, and then pulling the plug entirely.  Fucker.  I hope he gets ass cancer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paypal will still refund you the money.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top