Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:18:21 AM EDT
Does any one know what happens to our old service weapons after they are replaced by newer versions.  Do they destroy them or sell them over seas.  You would think the Government would make a killing by converting to Semi and selling them to the US public. I bet demand would exceed supply and the Government could make a dent in that 16 trillion debt they have.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#1]
They are given away to US police agencies, or as foreign aid, or just destroy them (google "captain crunch").  A mix of all three.

If you think the government would sell surplus firearms to the public at this point you're delusional. Yes they could recover a lot of money for the taxpayers but they won't.

ATF's regulatory interpretation doesn't allow something to be "converted to semi".
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
a lot of the lowers are still in use...hang out in the retro section you quite often see a lot of pics of NG guys using A2 uppers on A1 lowers for example (even some slabsides out there)
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Cap'n crunch
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does any one know what happens to our old service weapons after they are replaced by newer versions.  Do they destroy them or sell them over seas.  You would think the Government would make a killing by converting to Semi and selling them to the US public. I bet demand would exceed supply and the Government could make a dent in that 16 trillion debt they have.
View Quote

they wont even sell us semi handguns, or rifles, or let us bring home semi, or bolt action weapons from wars.... and NOW, we cant buy military trucks anymore .... deuce and a halfs are to awful for us to own.  they are blocking return m1 garands and m1 carbines. you really think they will convert m-4 carbines, or m16a1's to sell to the public?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I think you get two free when you buy an MRAP. If your department issues cargo pants, they throw in two more.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Dude, you, uh, might want to put ***WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTO*** in front of those Cap'N Crunch images.

The horror...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I handled a brand new out of the box M16A1, no butt trap, with sling, and 2 twenty round mags.

I got the PMCS cartoon manual as a souvenir.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think you get two free when you buy an MRAP. If your department issues cargo pants, they throw in two more.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They are given away to US police agencies, or as foreign aid, or just destroy them (google "captain crunch").  A mix of all three.

If you think the government would sell surplus firearms to the public at this point you're delusional. Yes they could recover a lot of money for the taxpayers but they won't.

ATF's regulatory interpretation doesn't allow something to be "converted to semi".
View Quote

I've helped destroy them. We cut them with oxyacetalyne torches.

Everything had to be cut. Barrel, carrier, lower, upper, etc. Small parts are either reused into bench stock/shopstock or they're rendered useless and shitcanned.

One of the worst days of my life. Imagining that if you turned around and sold those parts into the economy sans lower and FCG, you could be making easily $500 apiece on what the government bought for about $100.

Many of these M16A2's were new, unfired in original boxes and even had the little cardboard tube down the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Arm cops and Mexicans

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe this administration gives them to any Muslim Terrorist, that needs one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I've seen pallets of M16's bound for shipment outside of the US. I also saw as new M14's being taken out of their protective wrap, represerved, and put back in to new wrap. This was in the late 90's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Everything had to be cut. Barrel, carrier, lower, upper, etc. Small parts are either reused into bench stock/shopstock or they're rendered useless and shitcanned.

One of the worst days of my life. Imagining that if you turned around and sold those parts into the economy sans lower and FCG, you could be making easily $500 apiece on what the government bought for about $100.

Many of these M16A2's were new, unfired in original boxes and even had the little cardboard tube down the barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Even if they stripped the lower, and cut it up, along with the LPK/FCG, could sell the rest of the parts and make some decent coin from them.  None of the other parts are regulated.  Gov't waste sure is a waste.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't worry about them getting cut up, guys.

They're just service rifles.  It's not like they're anything special, historical, or rare.

On the chance there is something historical or rare, there are dozens of copies in museums all over the country.  How many do we really need to keep?  You can't keep everything.  If we need more we'll just make more.

The problem isn't that the government destroys them, or wastes money (the gov't wastes money on all sorts of shit anyhow).

The problem is that you can't just take your money and go buy your own.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I am sure Barry the monarch gave a bunch to ISIS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#18]
They get left behind to supply our enemies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#21]
A few thoughts.

1)  The CMP program does sell "surplus" rifles, but obviously not the M16 / M4 platform.  The CMP charter in fact was to promote marksmanship and was formed when the government realized that in time of war, it needed civilians with basic marksmanship skills if and when they were drafted into military service.

2)  The rifles sold by the CMP are only a small fraction of the actual quantity of M1 Rifle, M1 Carbine, 1903 Springfield, etc. manufactured for use by the armed forces in a wartime situation, that were then rendered obsolete in peacetime by either draw downs or new weapons developments.

3)  While there are likely a few thousand ARFCOMMers out there that would pay for the parts kits, I highly doubt there is a market for the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of surplus parts "kits."  Unlike the M1 Garand, there are a number of manufacturers currently mass producing milspec parts and complete rifles that are able to provide components to the civilian population.

4)  It is political suicide for whoever signs up for authorizing the sale, even if just parts, of an "Assault Rifle" or "Assault Rifle Parts." out of government stock, even if it was done at a profit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

"It's like Christmas," said Kirkpatrick. "You open up a box and say 'I've never seen this before. What is this?'"

SO LET'S DESTROY IT. :(

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
"It's like Christmas," said Kirkpatrick. "You open up a box and say 'I've never seen this before. What is this?'"

[div style='margin: 15px 0px -15px; padding: 0px 0px 5px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 10px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;  min-width: 520px; max-width: 1200px; width: 740px; color: rgb(61, 61, 61); line-height: 10px; text-indent: 0px; background: rgb(215, 215, 215);']

Like I said last time the Capt. Crunch article was posted.

It's like a Christmas where you feed Santa, his sleigh, and all 8 reindeer plus Rudolph through a wood chipper!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A few thoughts.

1)  The CMP program does sell "surplus" rifles, but obviously not the M16 / M4 platform.  The CMP charter in fact was to promote marksmanship and was formed when the government realized that in time of war, it needed civilians with basic marksmanship skills if and when they were drafted into military service.

2)  The rifles sold by the CMP are only a small fraction of the actual quantity of M1 Rifle, M1 Carbine, 1903 Springfield, etc. manufactured for use by the armed forces in a wartime situation, that were then rendered obsolete in peacetime by either draw downs or new weapons developments.

3)  While there are likely a few thousand ARFCOMMers out there that would pay for the parts kits, I highly doubt there is a market for the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of surplus parts "kits."  Unlike the M1 Garand, there are a number of manufacturers currently mass producing milspec parts and complete rifles that are able to provide components to the civilian population.

4)  It is political suicide for whoever signs up for authorizing the sale, even if just parts, of an "Assault Rifle" or "Assault Rifle Parts." out of government stock, even if it was done at a profit.
View Quote

5) It protects US companies and jobs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

What is sorta fucked up is reading the statements of the crew that mans that machine.

http://www.army.mil/article/64835/

Each of the employees, who all have an interest in guns, particularly enjoy seeing older weapons, or weapons they haven't dealt with before, come in.

An interest in firearms, especially older ones...lol, yeah right, more like an interest in feeding shit into a shredder.

I would bet that their interest lies not in guns but in DESTROYING guns.

Beaten to it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Why are they running over a bunch of airsoft guns?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

They could legally sell the uppers couldn't they?
Err, maybe not.    I guess the 14.5 uppers might be an issue.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#28]
They send to Mexican drug dealers... lol
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Writing this makes me feel old.  In the early 90s I was issued a M16.  It looked like an A1 manufactured by colt, but did not have A1 on it.  Triangle guards every thing like an A1 just no stamp.  Around 96 we turned in our rifles and they came back as A2s.  The lower was the same except auto was milled off and replaced with burst,  also the serial number was hit with xxxxxxx and a new number stamped underneith.  All new parts and upper minus the lower.  We still have those weapons today.  I personally liked the A1 config better then the A2.  Not just the auto, the A1 config just felt better for some reason.  There are no plans to change the weapons out, I qual with mine every year and she shoots fine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#31]

My brother's police dept bought some. They converted them to semi auto.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My brother's police dept bought some. They converted them to semi auto.
View Quote

They're free.  And if the mil ever wants them back they'll have to return them to the condition they received them in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

No offense, OP, but you should really take some of the advice you've been getting & use your Google function for answers to some of these questions you've been asking in tech before they've become locked or moved to GD. Most of your questions are easily answered from Google Searching. Some questions are genuinely naive & ignorant of the subject matter, (NP no one is all knowing) but your short track record with this many easily obtainable answers to your questions is starting to get you raped.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They're free.  And if the mil ever wants them back they'll have to return them to the condition they received them in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My brother's police dept bought received some on using the Gov't 1033 Program. They converted them to semi auto.

This is truth
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

They can't convert them to semi, because the gAyTF has their "once an MG always an MG" bullshit.

I have a better idea.. Repeal Hughes, GCA, and NFA, and sell them to us through the CMP.

Won't see that in my lifetime though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I imagine the same thing they do with most of the humvees.

Shred em.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
5) It protects US companies and jobs.
View Quote

That's all it is.

We're still making M16s/M4s, so it really makes no difference when we cut up a worn out one.

As a reservist who has needed to qualify on seriously beat-up shit (got expert anyhow, trololololol), I don't care if they chop a few of them up to get me a new-er-ish one.  I do not care.

Generally speaking, there's no historical value here.  Yes, of course there are exceptions, and that's a shame.  But it's not typical.

The problem is that I can't just go to my local gun shop and buy an Anderson Mfg M16 receiver for $45 + $200 + $15 transfer or whatever.

If you guys could buy $300 M16 receivers, you wouldn't be complaining either.

Put the blame where it belongs, with congress, not the military.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top