Red Six standing by.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That doesn't appear to be an X Wing at all, but rather a single wing craft.

Do you even lock S foils in attack position, bro?

Red Five standing by.

Bigfeet

http://i61.tinypic.com/35i4w2f.jpg

Red Six standing by.

Red Three standing by.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I am getting the distinct impression a good percentage of ARFCom has never seen the Star Wars movies. "Lock S-foils to attack position"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am getting the distinct impression a good percentage of ARFCom has never seen the Star Wars movies. "Lock S-foils to attack position"

The X-Wing has 4 fully rounded engines.  This looks like a Z-95.  Wouldn't make much sense to have a half-round turbine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]
It has been a while....Red Gold standing by
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not the best endorsement for atmospheric flight, if you ask me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lukes' X-wing in The Empire Strikes Back flies in atmosphere and crash lands on Dagoba.

Yoda had a sweet set of tools.  They were able to buff it out...

TXL
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That was my first impression, too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

Z-95 only has dual laser cannons, this clearly has quads.  What's throwing you off is probably the weird way they did the wings - it looks like instead of two mirrored wings that sandwich together, it's a single wing split in the center, so that the front half goes down and the rear half goes up.  Look at the laser cannon attachment at the wingtip at 0:51.  With the different way the wing splits, from the front, you see a whole wing with only a separation at the engine (at 0:36, you can see seperation at wing root and engine intake, but no seperation line along the front of the wing past the engine).
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The searcher box.  Nice cameo!  Lol

Red Foxx standing by...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a good feeling about this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a good feeling about this

This

Quoted:
Force for Change sounds like some Obama bullshit.  Movie better not suck.

It doesn't always have to be about POTUS.

Sit back, have a beer. It's going to be ok.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The X-Wing has 4 fully rounded engines.  This looks like a Z-95.  Wouldn't make much sense to have a half-round turbine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By doing two half round turbines, you streamline the fighter for less drag when the wings are folded.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was kind of the point of the first post, the picture there is one of the old concept pictures done by Ralph McQuarrie which shows an X-Wing with split-rounds for the intakes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Z-95 only has dual laser cannons, this clearly has quads.  What's throwing you off is probably the weird way they did the wings - it looks like instead of two mirrored wings that sandwich together, it's a single wing split in the center, so that the front half goes down and the rear half goes up.  Look at the laser cannon attachment at the wingtip at 0:51.  With the different way the wing splits, from the front, you see a whole wing with only a separation at the engine (at 0:36, you can see seperation at wing root and engine intake, but no seperation line along the front of the wing past the engine).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

It's also got 4 exhausts on the back, which implies the wing splits.  I don't like it.  Why couldn't they just use the traditional design, which is one of the best in sci fi?  It still looks a helluva lot better than this.  Props for keeping it "real" though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

By doing two half round turbines, you streamline the fighter for less drag when the wings are folded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, how does a turbine spin when it's cut in half?  Does it just reattach itself when the S-foils are closed?  Whether practical or not, I think it looks plain ugly.  The old design was better. IMO

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So, how does a turbine spin when it's cut in half?  Does it just reattach itself when the S-foils are closed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, how does a turbine spin when it's cut in half?  Does it just reattach itself when the S-foils are closed?

How do we know if it's even turbines?  It's space and the technology is way more advanced.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#15]
My guess is Z95 and they fucked up and added quad cannons.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

TXL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lukes' X-wing in The Empire Strikes Back flies in atmosphere and crash lands on Dagoba.

TXL

He just forced everything back into place, I bet...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Toss in HK47 and I'll start caring more
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Sweet, can't wait to see it flying through a field of lens flares.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So, how does a turbine spin when it's cut in half?  Does it just reattach itself when the S-foils are closed?  Whether practical or not, I think it looks plain ugly.  The old design was better. IMO

http://absolventi.gymcheb.cz/2008/tovins/obrazky/xwing.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The movie is 30 years after "Jedi."  Shirley (heh) you would expect some sort of advancement and improvement of design in that time period?  Personally, I care more for the fact the paint is wearing off and it looks "used" and not shiny fucking new like the-movies-that-don't-exist.  

I also agree that's a real prop and not CGI.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

...and then explode.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why do explosions make noise in space?  Why do laser cannon blasts travel at a speed which is perceptibly slower than the speed of light?  Such questions don't need to be answer in the Science Fantasy genre.  

I can and will suspend my disbelief for Star Wars.  

I agree that the old design is timeless and would have been happy to see all the old designs come back.  All things considered, this looks pretty good though.  It's infinitely more "Star Wars" looking than anything in the New Trilogy.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:03:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It looks retarded. Air intakes for spacecraft?
View Quote

My thoughts too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#23]
....although mara jade flew a z95..and her shit was custom
That would explain the quads instead of duals.

Perhaps not all EU was shitcanned.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The movie is 30 years after "Jedi."  Shirley (heh) you would expect some sort of advancement and improvement of design in that time period?
View Quote

The advancement in design is to sell more toys or to show audiences something "different."  The designs in IV-VI were perfect, IMO.  (except for the A-Wing)

If this is a new ship, it's not that bad.  I just hope they keep the X-Wing the same.  At least it's not drastically different, and they've kept the same hull.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Dangit, I need to stop look at movie stuff.  I want a total blackout.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Looking more promising, he better not lens flare fuck this film.

Quoted:

My thoughts too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts too.

Objection, asked and answered!

There should be a test before posting in these threads!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Force for Change sounds like some Obama bullshit.  Movie better not suck.
View Quote

I think force for change was just a promotion for the charity.  I doubt that is the title of the movie.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#28]
X-Wing, Confirmed  

Not so terrible, though, still optimistic about the movie.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's also got 4 exhausts on the back, which implies the wing splits.  I don't like it.  Why couldn't they just use the traditional design, which is one of the best in sci fi?  It still looks a helluva lot better than this.  Props for keeping it "real" though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

Does a Corvette from 1968 look like a corvette from 1998? No.. progress.. Updated designs.. its set 30 ish years after RotJ. you figure in 20 years time they would update a design..
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Does a Corvette from 1968 look like a corvette from 1998? No.. progress.. Updated designs.. its set 30 ish years after RotJ. you figure in 20 years time they would update a design..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

I would also point out that the one we are familiar with is canonically an Incom T-65b Space Superiority Fighter, colloquially an 'X-Wing.'  JJ Abrams' prop might just be their vision of a T-65c.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Why do explosions make noise in space?  Why do laser cannon blasts travel at a speed which is perceptibly slower than the speed of light?  Such questions don't need to be answer in the Science Fantasy genre.  

I agree that the old design is timeless and would have been happy to see all the old designs come back.  All things considered, this looks pretty good though.  It's infinitely more "Star Wars" looking than anything in the New Trilogy.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Ee02WLxGk

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#32]
This thread is dorkier than 20 sided dice.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
I thought they flew in atmo , too ......no ?

eta...Im so late , as usual

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Man, I cannot wait for this film!

I hope it's not a let down like the last three
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

QUIT HARSHIN' MY MELLOW , MAAAaaaaaan

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Man, I cannot wait for this film!

I hope it's not a let down like the last three
View Quote

I could be wrong, but I think JJ is more of a star wars fan then a trek fan. I think he is doing an amazing job with ST, and I think he will pay as much homage to the original trilogy as possible. I just hope it doesn't get to campy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The advancement in design is to sell more toys or to show audiences something "different."  The designs in IV-VI were perfect, IMO.  (except for the A-Wing)

If this is a new ship, it's not that bad.  I just hope they keep the X-Wing the same.  At least it's not drastically different, and they've kept the same hull.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The movie is 30 years after "Jedi."  Shirley (heh) you would expect some sort of advancement and improvement of design in that time period?

Heresy!  The A-wing is the best wing!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#38]
The rebellion was also not exactly known for flying the latest and greatest gear. There's that whole "crushing weight of the empire making you flee your bases" thing.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alliance_Fleet

The Rebel Alliance fleet was originally quite small, composed of small to mid sized cruisers, converted freighters, and outdated starfighters. Much war matériel had been scavenged from fleets of the former Confederacy of Independent Systems. In terms of organization, the Rebel fleet was scattered and under various command structures. All ships in service of the Rebel Alliance in the early years before the Battle of Yavin were owned and operated by each individual Alliance member, such as the Sullustans, Corellians or Chandrilans.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm no expert but I never seen where a Tie fighter needed a chode bot in the back to fix it's self. X wings seem like shit tier to me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The X-Wing being able to operate in a breathable atmosphere makes a lot more sense than the Millennium Falcon.
View Quote

The Falcon flew in atmosphere the same way that the Gallofree transports did when leaving Hoth.  Not through aerodynamics but with repulsorlifts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As you sling your m16 ...oh I mean your ar15
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

Note that I said "first impression," meaning that I noticed all of those points in the second half of the video when the camera finally scaled out allowing all of it to be visible.  Don't get me wrong, though- I do appreciate a good condescending nerd-lecture from time to time.  

To wit: the Z-95 has variations in which it has a nose-cannon for a total of three guns, and another in which it has three on each wing for a total of six- per descriptions in two different books.  Oh yeah, and it's spelled "separation," too.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The searcher box.  Nice cameo!  Lol

Red Foxx standing by...
View Quote

Red Skelton, standing by...

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The advancement in design is to sell more toys or to show audiences something "different."  The designs in IV-VI were perfect, IMO. (except for the A-Wing)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The advancement in design is to sell more toys or to show audiences something "different."  The designs in IV-VI were perfect, IMO. (except for the A-Wing)

Don't be shit talking my A-Wing.  not only is it faster the Falcon, out runs Ties while the pilot gives them the finger, but it also brought down a Super Star Destroyer!  What's the X-Wing done besides taking out one and half "space stations?"
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't see it either. Notice the wing tops moving when the pilot climbs in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone else notice that that the nose, wings and the majority of the body of the X-Wing appears to be computer generated?  At least it looks like that on my screen...

No I don't think so looking at it.

J.J. Abrams is going though a lot of trouble to make this movie, for lack of a better term, "real." Minimal use of CGI compared to Ep. 1-3.

ETA: second look - maybe. The shadow of the X-Wing doesn't cast the same as his own.

I don't see it either. Notice the wing tops moving when the pilot climbs in.

Abrams made a lot of full-scale models for Star Trek, he's doing the same thing here. Real working models instead of CGI will always look better than CGI when those models are of the highest quality which they are here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Redrum standing by.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

X-Wing is trans atmospheric. GTFO.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X-Wing is trans atmospheric. GTFO.  

This... some people's kids...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I wouldn't.  Stupid thing is missing its R2 unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd fly it.

I wouldn't.  Stupid thing is missing its R2 unit.

You only NEED an R2 unit if you're going to go into hyperspace. If you are just going to fly around some, you don't have to have one.

What I am LOVING about this new film is it looks like they are using a lot more full scale props and aliens. Less CGI. This will hopefully give it a more real, gritty feel of the original.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

I saw this version of the X-Wing earlier - and yeah, it looks like a Z-95, but it still has quad cannons. If the wings split open, then It's still an X-Wing. It's been a couple decades since RoTJ, and the X-Wing was considered "old" back then anyway. So I am thinking this is like an X-Wing Mk II.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top