BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You want a statistic? Here's one for you to ruminate.

There are maybe 50 reported serious "pit bull" attacks in a year. Fewer if you only count the ones where the dog is identified as an actual APBT or AmStaff (not just a "pit type" or "pit mix". The population of pit bulls is estimated to be 2.5-10 MILLION (low side from a source trying to paint pits as bad, high side from people saying pits are not bad, truth probably somewhere in the middle).

50/2,500,000=0.00002 x 100= 0.002% (high estimate)
50/10,000,000=0.000005 x 100= 0.0005% (low estimate)

So somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.0005%-0.002% of pit bulls ever actually causes any sort of serious injury (or at least serious enough to warrant the attention of the news) to someone. Most any statistician would call that statistically insignificant.

Please explain how this constitutes the entire breed as the nightmarishly dangerous animals they are portrayed to be.

Oh, and those multiple studies all conclude that the data presented does not make a case for a breed being labeled as dangerous, especially considering circumstances other than breed (such as owner, supervision, socialization, and training) were not taken into account.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I made my own thread about that and guess what GD did?  

Pretty much ignored it lol.

Multiple studies, reports, and statistics have been posted, along with countless gruesome stories, all of which are contrary to your opinion, and you completely ignore them all.  You throw down one anecdotal story of a one dog doing one good deed, pass judgement on all of GD, and claim vindication?  

There are maybe 50 reported serious "pit bull" attacks in a year. Fewer if you only count the ones where the dog is identified as an actual APBT or AmStaff (not just a "pit type" or "pit mix". The population of pit bulls is estimated to be 2.5-10 MILLION (low side from a source trying to paint pits as bad, high side from people saying pits are not bad, truth probably somewhere in the middle).

So somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.0005%-0.002% of pit bulls ever actually causes any sort of serious injury (or at least serious enough to warrant the attention of the news) to someone. Most any statistician would call that statistically insignificant.

Please explain how this constitutes the entire breed as the nightmarishly dangerous animals they are portrayed to be.

Oh, and those multiple studies all conclude that the data presented does not make a case for a breed being labeled as dangerous, especially considering circumstances other than breed (such as owner, supervision, socialization, and training) were not taken into account.

I think that the statisticians have weighed in - and it's not in the pit bull's favor.  Look at what the insurers say - the breed tops their lists for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
For those who own pit bulls, why this type of dog?  Friendliness?  Ease of care?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck me running.  That pit must have had loud pipes for this much hate.  Probably eats beans in his chili too.  

It needs to be put down.  Call the cops.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fuck me running.  That pit must have had loud pipes for this much hate.  Probably eats beans in his chili too.  

It needs to be put down.  Call the cops.  
View Quote

Well, it was a pretty big deal for the OP and those who were trying to break the dogs apart.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think that the statisticians have weighed in - and it's not in the pit bull's favor.  Look at what the insurers say - the breed tops their lists for a reason.
View Quote

Insurance companies dislike anything that results in a claim. People are more likely to sue for a higher settlement over a pit bull bite than they are a Lab bite, even if the damage is the same. Why? Because they can win it.

TA-DA!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For those who own pit bulls, why this type of dog?  Friendliness?  Ease of care?
View Quote

The vast majority are friendly. They are also intelligent, loyal, athletic, require little in the way of grooming, don't shed much, and have very few health problems. They are not too large, nor are they too small.

They make great hiking buddies, running partners, and are excellent hunting dogs. You can train them to do everything from retrieving fowl, to search and rescue, to dock diving, to flyball, to frisbee games, to formal obedience.

They are a great generalist dog. They can do pretty much anything their owners want them to do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Owned a couple growing up, always great dogs smart, loyal, eager to please. Ours were never aggressive towards dogs or people.

My wife and I just rescued a young one last week and he is already sitting, staying, house broken, and heeling. But then again we take our dogs pretty seriously and put in the work.

He'll be enrolled in the same obedience classes our other dog (pure bred rottweiler) just got out of when we get back from vacation in two weeks.
The rottweiler will shortly thereafter be enrolled in her level two classes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
All true, but there are a lot of other dogs out there that are smart, friendly, loyal, can go for walks, chase a Frisbee, and so forth.

Why the Pit Bull, or a Rottweiler?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All true, but there are a lot of other dogs out there that are smart, friendly, loyal, can go for walks, chase a Frisbee, and so forth.

View Quote

That can be said of any breed; there are always other choices.  Yet some people like certain breeds.  Or in this case, "type" is more accurate than breed.

I just don't see one I've raised as a risk.  If I were to see warning signs that couldn't be corrected in any breed I would get rid of the dog.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very loving and protective. Also like the way they look.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well they will actually rip a perps face off if they come into someone's home.
Just like a Doberman, Akita, cane corso, etc.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]

While everyone is quick to hold up a picture of someone injured by a "scary" breed (just like they do when someone is killed by a gun). I totally forgot to explain not just my experience as an owner, but also as someone who saved a "monster". Someone who looks into dog behavior.

I've spent thousands of dollars on my "other" dog. Not the Staffy, he too, was what some would call "expensive", but medical, adoption, shots, treatments were astronomical to actually rescue my corso. I don't mean rescue like let her live in my house, but I mean bring her back to health. I took her in and took full responsibility for every step she took once she became my dog.

she was 25lbs under weight, abused, neglected, and afraid of men. She also had a laundry list of medical issues that made my "adapt a dog its cheaper than your fancy renowned breeder dog" friends look like aholes.

I've spent the last year building trust, confidence, and general rehab of a dog that is supposedly ready to kill me because I wore socks; or whatever the ignorant believe. Every trip is planned. Not to isolate, but to limit exposure that could cause harm to her or people or dogs. You cannot banish or shelter a dog from contact. It won't work, you have to rehabilitate them slowly, confidently, and ensure safe passage for them and everything they encounter. I actually take pride in both my dog's behaviors, they are a product of my training, love, and upbringing. With the corso there is an element of risk, but with every day, every encounter, you learn to look for signs and ways to positively counter negative behavior. So, to all of you that paint with a broad brush I say, Fuck you.

Want a parallel? All large capacity "clips" do is kill innocent children just wanting to go to school. Sound familiar? Before you paint, look at the size of the wall. You could be covering up art. Or in some of your cases your favorite Dale Jr. t-shirt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The wife decided on the Rottweiler based on her research, our family wants/needs, and input from long tome owners.
The pitbull kinda chose us at a rescue event and like I said I had a couple growing up.

If you're ever in the area you're welcome to meet my big goofy dogs they're pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to see these so called tame pit bulls reaction when the mailman comes by the house

Dollars to dog nuts they go completely ape shit
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The wife decided on the Rottweiler based on her research, our family wants/needs, and input from long tome owners.
The pitbull kinda chose us at a rescue event and like I said I had a couple growing up.

If you're ever in the area you're welcome to meet my big goofy dogs they're pretty awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, and the handful of posters above you, for the replies.  In my opinion, this is far better than rhetoric.

But, it's what crackshot said, and others didn't, that sort of stands out: his Pit is a darn powerful dog.

You've also got a Rottweiler, which when I parse through the Clifton data, comes out to be more problematic than Pit Bulls, when normalized for prevalence of breed.

I'm not trying to indict any particular breed of dog: there are some really interesting correlations, and there are some fuzzy correlations, but there are definite correlations to size and power - and Pit Bulls are undoubtedly powerful dogs.  But, what you seldom hear from Pit owners in conversation is that their dogs are powerful dogs, and some sort of acknowledgement of the responsibility that entails.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A photo of my truck the last time I was in Colorado.  That's 5 humans, 5 dogs, and 4 backbacks in 1 Tacoma, for those of you keeping score at home.

I like dogs. Together, we eschew hygiene.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thank you, and the handful of posters above you, for the replies.  In my opinion, this is far better than rhetoric.

But, it's what crackshot said, and others didn't, that sort of stands out: his Pit is a darn powerful dog.

You've also got a Rottweiler, which when I parse through the Clifton data, comes out to be more problematic than Pit Bulls, when normalized for prevalence of breed.

I'm not trying to indict any particular breed of dog: there are some really interesting correlations, and there are some fuzzy correlations, but there are definite correlations to size and power - and Pit Bulls are undoubtedly powerful dogs.  But, what you seldom hear from Pit owners in conversation is that their dogs are powerful dogs, and some sort of acknowledgement of the responsibility that entails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh we fully understand the potential of these dogs which is exactly why we put in the time/work.
So far the worst thing the Rottweiler has done is knock andrasiks wife down because she was happy to see her. For whatever reason she goes batshit crazy happy when they come over she loves them.

The pitbull so far doesn't even pay attention to our four year old tabby cat. He seems very mellow and well behaved.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are actually very few breeds that can be that athletic, that intelligent, that trainable, shed minimally, and do not require frequent trips to the groomer. They also have a great sense of humor.

Many people also grew up with them, especially out in the country. They loved their childhood pet and want one like it when they grow up.

And then you have to look at straight up personal preferences. Why do some men prefer blondes, others redheads, and still other brunettes. Why do some women like facial hair and others don't? Personal preference.

And of course, once you've actually been around the well-behaved ones, the ones that are sweet-natured and loving, it's hard not to realize their appeal. If all you ever know of them is what you hear on the media, or the ghetto ones you see with street thugs, or the ones chained up in trailer parks, it's easy to dismiss them, much like anything as you only associate with negative connotations.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I made my own thread about that and guess what GD did?  

Pretty much ignored it lol.

Multiple studies, reports, and statistics have been posted, along with countless gruesome stories, all of which are contrary to your opinion, and you completely ignore them all.  You throw down one anecdotal story of a one dog doing one good deed, pass judgement on all of GD, and claim vindication?  

/thread

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
But, what you seldom hear from Pit owners in conversation is that their dogs are powerful dogs, and some sort of acknowledgement of the responsibility that entails.
View Quote

A lot of shitheads own pit bulls.  Those same people will rarely talk about the responsibility of owning a gun or keeping one loaded in the house either.  That's a reflection of them, not their gun.

I used to be in the "kill'em all club", FWIW.  I was challenged by someone to do some research, and it changed my mind.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd like to see these so called tame pit bulls reaction when the mailman comes by the house

View Quote

All the ones I've known loved everyone. Groomer, vet, mailman, show judge, even the Jehovah's witnesses that stop by.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

You mean like every dog ever?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They absolutely are powerful dogs. They top the charts in weight pull competitions. They are medium-large, muscular, and energetic. That demands an owner that can channel that energy, knows how to train, and can ensure that they keep their animal under control.

That isn't really why people choose the breed, usually, but it is an inherent responsibility when keeping an APBT, or any other large, muscular, energetic dog.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The owner is ALWAYS responsible. It's a dog, it's your responsibility no matter what it does. Whenever I make the gun correlation people swear that dogs are independent thinkers who make all their own choices and that people have no influence over them. It's closer to the opposite than that.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#25]

"There are actually very few breeds that can be that athletic, that intelligent"

LOL.

There are plenty.  There are some that shed more (pretty much all of them shed).  Most dogs don't ever need to go to a groomer.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There are actually very few breeds that can be that athletic, that intelligent, that trainable, shed minimally, and do not require frequent trips to the groomer. They also have a great sense of humor.

Many people also grew up with them, especially out in the country. They loved their childhood pet and want one like it when they grow up.

And then you have to look at straight up personal preferences. Why do some men prefer blondes, others redheads, and still other brunettes. Why do some women like facial hair and others don't? Personal preference.

And of course, once you've actually been around the well-behaved ones, the ones that are sweet-natured and loving, it's hard not to realize their appeal. If all you ever know of them is what you hear on the media, or the ghetto ones you see with street thugs, or the ones chained up in trailer parks, it's easy to dismiss them, much like anything as you only associate with negative connotations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you help me out and show me where I've said these things?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A lot of shitheads own pit bulls.  Those same people will rarely talk about the responsibility of owning a gun or keeping one loaded in the house either.  That's a reflection of them, not their gun.

I used to be in the "kill'em all club", FWIW.  I was challenged by someone to do some research, and it changed my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But, what you seldom hear from Pit owners in conversation is that their dogs are powerful dogs, and some sort of acknowledgement of the responsibility that entails.

I was never in the "kill 'em all club", but I agree that there are a lot of shitheads that choose pits. Their irresponsibility is not the fault of their dog, though the dog is often blamed for their irresponsibility.

I've also seen the same irresponsible people with Rotts, Dobes, German Shepherds, Cane Corsii, Presas, and numerous other breeds. They aren't any more responsible with those dogs either. Whereas responsible people are responsible no matter what breed they own.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not Pit Bulls or Rottweilers? My Rottie is the best dog I have ever owned.
He is a rescue who has earned his AKC Canine Good Citizen Award.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Our killers
" />
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Odd toes you got
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Odd toes you got
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

General you, not you specifically.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"There are actually very few breeds that can be that athletic, that intelligent"

LOL.

There are plenty.  There are some that shed more (pretty much all of them shed).  Most dogs don't ever need to go to a groomer.
View Quote

Not really. There are many that hit the two points you quoted, but not many that fit the entire list. Dobermans are the closest. Standard Poodles as well, except for the whole groomer thing. A field bred Lab, maybe, except for the shedding.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I was never in the "kill 'em all club", but I agree that there are a lot of shitheads that choose pits. Their irresponsibility is not the fault of their dog, though the dog is often blamed for their irresponsibility.

I've also seen the same irresponsible people with Rotts, Dobes, German Shepherds, Cane Corsii, Presas, and numerous other breeds. They aren't any more responsible with those dogs either. Whereas responsible people are responsible no matter what breed they own.
View Quote

This is a dog breed that may comprise 6% of the dog population, but is responsible for 68% of documented serious attacks.  Those are some pretty stark numbers, as are the statistics about Huskies/Wolf Hybrids and children.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is a dog breed that may comprise 6% of the dog population, but is responsible for 68% of documented serious attacks.  Those are some pretty stark numbers, as are the statistics about Huskies/Wolf Hybrids and children.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the circumstances surrounding each of the attacks though. You will find many similarities other than breed. Those same circumstances are Lso present in many of the other attacks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Not really. There are many that hit the two points you quoted, but not many that fit the entire list. Dobermans are the closest. Standard Poodles as well, except for the whole groomer thing. A field bred Lab, maybe, except for the shedding.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.

Well I guess we are down to several reasons why someone would pick a pit bull over numerous breeds well known to be great pets that won't fuck up your insurance or carry various other stigmas; they shed less than a lot of other breeds, it's what's most available to "rescue," nostalgia if you had one as a kid, and personal preference.  There is also the ever present [Carl's Jr.] Badass Dog [Carl's Jr./] that some go for.  I'll point out that they make great hog hunting dogs also.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We have a small outdoor, dog-friendly patio at our brewpub.  A random pitbull wandered onto the patio and started a fight with a patron's dog.  The pitbull was an un-neutered male.  The patron's dog was a labradoodle type dog.  

I was working in the brewery when I heard a bunch of commotion and screaming.  I was in the middle of a task with my hands full and couldn't drop what I was doing.  I looked through the overhead door and saw what was going on and grabbed a hammer.  At least 6-8 patrons trying to break up the fight.  A few of them were punching and kicking the pitbull but it just wouldn't let up its grip on the other dog's neck.  They managed to break it up.

The crazy thing is that the pitbull was the one that was all fucked up.  His face was all cut up and was bleeding pretty good.  I'm not sure if it was from the other dog or from the guys punching and kicking it.  

I can't help but think if what it was a child that the pitbull attacked...

ETA: I'm not pretending to be a dog expert. I was simply going off of what others were all saying. Here is a pic of said offender. If it is not a pit, I will change the title.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/dominomofo/Misc/0F859C12-3E3F-44B2-9943-0BA4AFA10B27_zpsm9j6pv60.jpg

View Quote

That doesn't look like a pit bull to me.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got mine because he was in a foster home and needed someone to love him.  

He's my Pit Bull and he's a damn fine dog.  Haters gonna hate.  F 'em.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine wouldn't get off his couch.  Hell, he'd tell you where the good booze was if you asked him too.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my case, you'd be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have a small outdoor, dog-friendly patio at our brewpub.  A random pitbull wandered onto the patio and started a fight with a patron's dog.  The pitbull was an un-neutered male.  The patron's dog was a labradoodle type dog.  

I was working in the brewery when I heard a bunch of commotion and screaming.  I was in the middle of a task with my hands full and couldn't drop what I was doing.  I looked through the overhead door and saw what was going on and grabbed a hammer.  At least 6-8 patrons trying to break up the fight.  A few of them were punching and kicking the pitbull but it just wouldn't let up its grip on the other dog's neck.  They managed to break it up.

The crazy thing is that the pitbull was the one that was all fucked up.  His face was all cut up and was bleeding pretty good.  I'm not sure if it was from the other dog or from the guys punching and kicking it.  

I can't help but think if what it was a child that the pitbull attacked...

ETA: I'm not pretending to be a dog expert. I was simply going off of what others were all saying. Here is a pic of said offender. If it is not a pit, I will change the title.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/dominomofo/Misc/0F859C12-3E3F-44B2-9943-0BA4AFA10B27_zpsm9j6pv60.jpg

This is the second time on ARFcom where I'd have to say that is actually a Pit Bull.  He appears to be the correct weight and build for a Pit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#42]
The only 2 times I've pulled my CCW out:

- When some random idiot decided to walk up and stick his head into my open car window

- Random roaming pit bull in my old neighborhood that saw me and my dog and started running towards us

I actually hesitated less on sticking the pistol in #1s face than I did when I pulled it out ready to shoot the pit bull.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Exactly the response I expect from someone who is clueless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: the breed as a whole is more aggressive than most.
Total bullshit  

lol
Exactly the response I expect from someone who is clueless.

Everyone admits that all breeds can have traits as long as they aren't negative.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Odd toes you got

Huh?

LOL.  10'ers...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

In my case, it was to save the Pit's life.  I adopted mine from the local shelter with a broken leg.  She had no hope at a life as she came with the Pit stigma and was wounded to boot.

In the last two years, this dog has won my heart and admiration. Going forward I will always own a Pit and she has become the best dog.  Well behaved, laid back and always aware. She even puts herself ion the middle of the other three dogs (two rat terriers and a black lab) when they are aggressively playing.  Naamah says it best.  

Most disagree with my stance, especially swingset when sarcasm is involved, but until you own one (a pit) and can see first hand their nature to please you won't understand.  I cannot stress enough that any animal is a product of it's owner, to a degree, and unfortunately many many shitbird ghetto trash asshats want them and treat them accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
In my case, it was to save the Pit's life.  I adopted mine from the local shelter with a broken leg.  She had no hope at a life as she came with the Pit stigma and was wounded to boot.

In the last two years, this dog has won my heart and admiration. Going forward I will always own a Pit and she has become the best dog.  Well behaved, laid back and always aware. She even puts herself ion the middle of the other three dogs (two rat terriers and a black lab) when they are aggressively playing.  Naamah says it best.  

Most disagree with my stance, especially swingset when sarcasm is involved, but until you own one (a pit) and can see first hand their nature to please you won't understand.  I cannot stress enough that any animal is a product of it's owner, to a degree, and unfortunately many many shitbird ghetto trash asshats want them and treat them accordingly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said.

I never knew a dog could be so in tune with my mood and want to join in. If I wanna lay in bed all day, she wants to lay with me. If I wanna run a marathon, she's 100% fuckin down for the cause. Kinda explains why it's a problem for the dog to have a shithead owner.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's good to hear a pit owner say that, I recall getting into it with a pit owner (can't recall his handle off the top of my head) that denied outright that they're popular with ghetto shit birds...talk about denial.

That's been my entire stance since the outset of these threads, 10 years ago....but treating them badly is only half the problem. Any breed that becomes the domain of shit stains loses its good breed traits mighty quick, and the pit (in many cases) has been ill-bred to the point of it being a problem dog. You can deny that, but the very reason we have differing breeds was tightly controlled line-breeding to accentuate desirable traits (usually for a purpose). Now, that's all fucking out the window when Cleatus and Raysheen breed for badass, looks, and how scrappy they can be...while expecting obedience and predictability around their ghetto offspring.
It's wrecked the dog and because of that popularity with scum, their reputation is rightly in the toilet. If a Dachsund became the ghetto dog, even with a terrible temperament and careless breeding, it wouldn't be causing deaths and severe maulings. That's the other big problem with Pits. Their history as terriers and size/strength make them particularly awful when that switch is flipped....we see the results in threads on this site week after week. Yeah, other dogs can do that kind of damage, but the problem is with the popularity and frequency.
Other breeds have been hurt by reckless breeding - the Dalmation was turned into a health disaster after morons made it the gift-dog-of-choice after the movie came out 50 years ago - took a lot of work and breeding discipline to get it back to some semblance of the breed standard. The pit is even worse, because it's not well meaning families getting a hold of it, and the morons making the pit the fashion accessory for the neck-tat, Juggalo crowd has accentuated the worst traits of terriers.
Now, your reasons for owning may be 100% pure, but when you accept a dog with a shit reputation don't spend the rest of your days howling in protest that you are being lumped in with people you readily admit are causing a problem for the dog. There begins and ends any conflict you may have with me.
You picked it, you like the breed, so accept the scrutiny...it's part of the package.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You picked it, you like the breed, so accept the scrutiny...it's part of the package.

View Quote

Your sandy vagina isn't scrutiny.  The only reason I post in these threads is to attempt to provide factual information, not avoid whatever stigma you seem to think is attached to my dog that nobody but my neighbors ever see.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Your sandy vagina isn't scrutiny.  The only reason I post in these threads is to attempt to provide factual information, not avoid whatever stigma you seem to think is attached to my dog that nobody but my neighbors ever see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, except I don't even own one.

However, as demonstrated by your first several posts, Swingset, you were simply trolling. Specifically trolling me and a couple other members, by your own admission. That's actually sort of frowned on here, come to think of it. I believe people have been locked and/or banned for that.

You don't offer scrutiny, other than some occasional blather about instincts prevalent in many breeds. You offer derision, sarcasm, and trolling.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top