BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Exactly the response I expect from someone who is clueless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: the breed as a whole is more aggressive than most.
Total bullshit  

lol

Abundant evidence supporting my statement has already been repeatedly posted in this thread, and you have ignored all of it.. "Total bullshit"  is exactly the well reasoned, evidence supported response I've been expected from you.  Sorry, it made me laugh.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He probably has never heard of temperment testing, and probably thinks that aggression towards other dogs equates to aggression against humans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total bullshit  

lol

He probably has never heard of temperment testing, and probably thinks that aggression towards other dogs equates to aggression against humans.
True. And that breeding for physical features can/will produce dogs with bad temperament in any breed.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Abundant evidence supporting my statement has already been repeatedly posted in this thread, and you have ignored all of it.. "Total bullshit"  is exactly the well reasoned, evidence supported response I've been expected from you.  Sorry, it made me laugh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total bullshit  

lol

There is no abundant evidence, just more and more bullshit.

If you wanna believe it go ahead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Have any of you guys ever researched "temperance testing?"  It's basically pure bullshit and usually stats do not include a sample size.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total bullshit  

lol

Wait, I think you might be about to persuade me.....     Say something else.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Saw that this morning.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

There is no persuading you the way there is no persuading an idiot gun grabber.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I did some research, apparently it's true about the Brits...they really do have some fine terriers over there.

Here's a picture of a pitbull farm in England, where they're raising nanny dogs for the children of the sophisticates. Story from the biased press say they were used in a horrific dog fighting ring, but we know how the press lies. Hell, probably not even pits....without some DNA from a reputable lab, I'd say these are likely Lhasa Apsos, or Pomeranians. You know how the scum bags love Pomeranian fights.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Breed of peace strikes again
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have any of you guys ever researched "temperance testing?"  It's basically pure bullshit and usually stats do not include a sample size.
View Quote

The ATTS absolutely includes sample size.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did some research, apparently it's true about the Brits...they really do have some fine terriers over there.

Here's a picture of a pitbull farm in England, where they're raising nanny dogs for the children of the sophisticates. Story from the biased press say they were used in a horrific dog fighting ring, but we know how the press lies. Hell, probably not even pits....without some DNA from a reputable lab, I'd say these are likely Lhasa Apsos, or Pomeranians. You know how the scum bags love Pomeranian fights.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/03/article-2124530-12727599000005DC-699_634x369.jpg
View Quote

Completely unpossible. You see, they are banned over there, and as we know, bans fix those problems, which is why so many here are just itching to ban the breed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll just go ahead and pull the pin on this grenade ...
[in the meantime, I will try to find my calculator]

Vicious dogs: the antisocial behaviors and psychological characteristics of owners.
Abstract
Each year, 4.7 million people are bitten by dogs. Of those bitten each year, 386,000 are seriously injured and some killed. Consequently, many insurance companies refuse to issue homeowners insurance to owners of specific breeds of dogs considered "vicious" or high risk of causing injury. This study examined whether vicious dog owners were different on antisocial behaviors and personality dimensions. A total of 869 college students completed an anonymous online questionnaire assessing type of dog owned, criminal behaviors, attitudes towards animal abuse, psychopathy, and personality. The sample was divided into four groups: vicious dog owners, large dog owners, small dog owners, and controls. Findings revealed vicious dog owners reported significantly more criminal behaviors than other dog owners. Vicious dog owners were higher in sensation seeking and primary psychopathy. Study results suggest that vicious dog ownership may be a simple marker of broader social deviance.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19302402
View Quote

Vicious dogs part 2: criminal thinking, callousness, and personality styles of their owners.
Abstract
Every year over 885,000 dog bites require serious medical attention. Based on human injury and insurance claims, six dog breeds were designated as "vicious" (Akitas, Chows, Dobermans, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Wolf-mixes). This study was conducted to expand on previous research examining antisocial tendencies and personality styles of people choosing to own vicious breeds. Seven hundred and fifty-four college students completed a questionnaire assessing type of dog owned, criminal thinking, callousness, personality, alcohol usage, and deviant lifestyle behaviors. Vicious dog owners reported significantly higher criminal thinking, entitlement, sentimentality, and superoptimism tendencies. Vicious dog owners were arrested, engaged in physical fights, and used marijuana significantly more than other dog owners. However, the homogeneous sample utilized could impact the generalizability of these findings. Choosing to own a vicious dog may be a "thin slice" indicator of more antisocial tendencies.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22074409
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Having just healed up from a dog bite myself from some little terrier piece of shit, I'd say this thread needs more hatchet.

Those little fuckers are fast, but I could have got him if I had something nice and heavy handy.  Actually, a "Woodsman's Pal" wouldn't have been too bad, either.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still meaningless and lacks the most basic of controls.  It isn't a test in any scientific sense of the word.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Completely unpossible. You see, they are banned over there, and as we know, bans fix those problems, which is why so many here are just itching to ban the breed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/03/article-2124530-12727599000005DC-699_634x369.jpg

How many here are just itching to ban the breed?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is no persuading you the way there is no persuading an idiot gun grabber.  
View Quote

Actually, you have that backwards.

Gun grabbers say, "I don't care about your facts and statistics! Proof means nothing!  Look what happened at that school!"

Pit lovers  say, "I don't care about your facts and statistics!  Proof means nothing!  Look at my doggie with a baby!"

Same thing.  It makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be a stinging remark if made to someone who advocates bans. Haven't seen anyone in this thread so far.

I guess many is a subjective term.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe I've heard that mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Vicious dogs: the antisocial behaviors and psychological characteristics of owners.

Abstract

Each year, 4.7 million people are bitten by dogs. Of those bitten each year, 386,000 are seriously injured and some killed. Consequently, many insurance companies refuse to issue homeowners insurance to owners of specific breeds of dogs considered "vicious" or high risk of causing injury. This study examined whether vicious dog owners were different on antisocial behaviors and personality dimensions. A total of 869 college students completed an anonymous online questionnaire assessing type of dog owned, criminal behaviors, attitudes towards animal abuse, psychopathy, and personality. The sample was divided into four groups: vicious dog owners, large dog owners, small dog owners, and controls. Findings revealed vicious dog owners reported significantly more criminal behaviors than other dog owners. Vicious dog owners were higher in sensation seeking and primary psychopathy. Study results suggest that vicious dog ownership may be a simple marker of broader social deviance.

Vicious dogs part 2: criminal thinking, callousness, and personality styles of their owners.

Abstract

Every year over 885,000 dog bites require serious medical attention. Based on human injury and insurance claims, six dog breeds were designated as "vicious" (Akitas, Chows, Dobermans, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Wolf-mixes). This study was conducted to expand on previous research examining antisocial tendencies and personality styles of people choosing to own vicious breeds. Seven hundred and fifty-four college students completed a questionnaire assessing type of dog owned, criminal thinking, callousness, personality, alcohol usage, and deviant lifestyle behaviors. Vicious dog owners reported significantly higher criminal thinking, entitlement, sentimentality, and superoptimism tendencies. Vicious dog owners were arrested, engaged in physical fights, and used marijuana significantly more than other dog owners. However, the homogeneous sample utilized could impact the generalizability of these findings. Choosing to own a vicious dog may be a "thin slice" indicator of more antisocial tendencies.

Well that completely deflates everything I've ever said about pitbull owners. <extreme sarcasm>

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've certainly seen it posted before, but it is rare, and usually trolls.  I think I have seen the strawman she used in the majority of these threads for years.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well that completely deflates everything I've ever said about pitbull owners. <extreme sarcasm>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abstract

Abstract

You'll get no argument here.  ARFCOM pits are not vicious.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abstract

Abstract

Heh.

I had to look up superoptimism and found the other definitions as well:

Entitlement – The lifestyle criminal believes that he is entitled to violate the laws of society and the rights of others by way of an expressed attitude of ownership (“it’s mine”), privilege (“I’m above the law”), or by labeling wants as needs (“I needed a new car, expensive clothing, a trip to Las Vegas, etc.”).

Sentimentality – Like most people, the lifestyle criminal has an interest in being viewed as a “nice guy”. However, this creates a serious dilemma, given the level of interpersonally intrusive activity they have engaged in. Consequently, they may perform various “good deeds” with the intent of cultivating a “Heck-of-a-guy” or “Robin Hood” image.

Super-Optimism – Experience has taught lifestyle criminals that they get away with most of their crimes. This leads to a growing sense of overconfidence in which they believe they are invulnerable, indomitable, and unbeatable. Ironically, this belief leads to their eventual downfall.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Abstract

Abstract

Really strange.  It's almost as if the person raising the dog influences the dog's behavior.  I just don't know if I can believe that, because GD assures me the problem is with the breed itself.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Really strange.  It's almost as if the person raising the dog influences the dog's behavior.  I just don't know if I can believe that, because GD assures me the problem is with the breed itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abstract

Abstract

But look at their sample population - college students.  I would like to learn more about their particular sample of "college students".  In my mind, the word college student means someone who sits under an oak tree and gets into fisticuffs when simple fools claim the metric system is superior to Imperial.  However, the authors could very well have conducted this study at Straight Out of Compton Community College.  I dunno.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abstract

Abstract

Weird considering I came from nothing, literally left home at 18, joined the military for two reasons 1.) Opportunity 2.) Pay for college. Turned that into a career, built my first home which became a rental. Then bought dream home. Realized my background and current career while military in nature is entirely based on the .gov.
So, I decided to transition into something entirely relied on how motivated I am and not an imaginary checkbook. Married a very similar minded woman.....who shares a Staffy and the evil human eating Cane Corso with me. All done before 30. Some of the thought process by members here is very hypocritical.

Aside from "engaged in physical fights" all those tendencies could also apply to elected officials.  This is teetering on "your guns are icky because a guy shot another guy. We need "better" gun laws."
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Gun grabbers say, "I don't care about your facts and statistics! Proof means nothing!  Look what happened at that school!"

Pit lovers  say, "I don't care about your facts and statistics!  Proof means nothing!  Look at my doggie with a baby!"

Valid point that I guess I had not looked at from that angle.

My point was only that I, personnally, do not automatically condemn a dog based on breed alone.  But then I am a dog lover.

Cats, however, I have prejudged as an entire species.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#28]

double
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
But look at their sample population - college students.  I would like to learn more about their particular sample of "college students".  In my mind, the word college student means someone who sits under an oak tree and gets into fisticuffs when simple fools claim the metric system is superior to Imperial.  However, the authors could very well have conducted this study at Straight Out of Compton Community College.  I dunno.
View Quote

That was sarcasm; I already know that the dog's owner greatly determines its behavior.  This study just dovetails nicely with any book ever written on dogs, other studies that look at the common variables surrounding dog bites, anecdotal observation and personal experience.  There's a reason when a dog makes the news it's almost always a low income neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Total bullshit  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Total bullshit  

Tell that to my nephew who ended up with 20+ stiches in his thigh after a pit attacked him.

Pussy ass owner owner laughed it off as a 'play bite.'

Isolated incident and all that.

Fuck that breed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That was sarcasm; I already know that the dog's owner greatly determines its behavior.  This study just dovetails nicely with any book ever written on dogs, other studies that look at the common variables surrounding dog bites, anecdotal observation and personal experience.  There's a reason when a dog makes the news it's almost always a low income neighborhood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgive me, but you know ...
... attaching your avatar to a Monte Python skit would make it read like an obituary.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Works on an inmate when you're getting raped in the joint too. Well, like 3 out of 10 times they orgasm, but it's worth a shot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Finger up the pitbullls butt hole would have stopped it quicker. They released every time when you do it.

Works on an inmate when you're getting raped in the joint too. Well, like 3 out of 10 times they orgasm, but it's worth a shot.

The pitbulls or the inmates?  How do you know?  Did you orgasm?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#33]
The hammer/shovel issue has me wondering.  Let's say you're standing next to a lake fishing and a dog attacks and latches onto your forearm and will not let go.  If you were able to step into the lake and hold its head underwater, do you think it would release then?  My guess is that it would, but a submersible canine may not be phased by it and instant release certainly wouldn't be guaranteed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm not going to pretend to be a bad ass so I will just tell my story.

When I was around 12yrs old growing up in middle class upstate NY we had a problem with a neighbors Great Dane who was running around the neighborhood terrorizing people... I was out in the driveway when I heard the other neighbors lab start howling/screaming in pain. I ran down to the end of the drive (few 100ft long) just as my father was pulling up from work... The Dane was attacking our neighbors lab.

The Dane had the lab wrapped up in its own chain and was just chomping away and the lab didn't stand a chance. Now this dog had already chased my twin sisters out of the back yard once a few weeks before and I think my father was looking for revenge and he was in the right place. Before I begin the story of the counter attack let me tell you this... My father is 6' 4" and 225lbs, he played sports his entire life, and was an avid hunter and fisherman... He was no pussy.

So dad runs into the neighbors garage and grabs a spade head shovel, the kind with a 4' wooden handle, runs back out and takes a grand slam swing at the Danes head, and connects, with the pan of the shovel.... That Dane didn't even break stride in his attack on that lab. So dad took another swing this time connecting with the edge, it split the Danes head open from ear to eye... Still the Dane didn't even bat it's one good eye. My father proceeded to hit that dog so hard so many times that the shovel broke, finally the Dane backed off, shook the blood everywhere, and trotted off like nothing happened.

I learned a valuable lesson after seeing that, large breed dogs will simply not stop their attack until they are physically unable to continue. Dogs have a retarded kid on a cocaine fuled rage switch that is only turned off when they want to shut it off or they are dead.

If a spade head shoel won't kill a dog, I highly doubt a hammer would unless you get a lucky shot in.

And as a 12yr old, I was scared shitless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too many people in the area to discharge a gun.  Besides, a hammer to the head would have done the job.  

If it were attacking a human, I probably would have grabbed my gun.

Lol... No. Trust me.

There are two sides to a hammer.

I'm not going to pretend to be a bad ass so I will just tell my story.

When I was around 12yrs old growing up in middle class upstate NY we had a problem with a neighbors Great Dane who was running around the neighborhood terrorizing people... I was out in the driveway when I heard the other neighbors lab start howling/screaming in pain. I ran down to the end of the drive (few 100ft long) just as my father was pulling up from work... The Dane was attacking our neighbors lab.

The Dane had the lab wrapped up in its own chain and was just chomping away and the lab didn't stand a chance. Now this dog had already chased my twin sisters out of the back yard once a few weeks before and I think my father was looking for revenge and he was in the right place. Before I begin the story of the counter attack let me tell you this... My father is 6' 4" and 225lbs, he played sports his entire life, and was an avid hunter and fisherman... He was no pussy.

So dad runs into the neighbors garage and grabs a spade head shovel, the kind with a 4' wooden handle, runs back out and takes a grand slam swing at the Danes head, and connects, with the pan of the shovel.... That Dane didn't even break stride in his attack on that lab. So dad took another swing this time connecting with the edge, it split the Danes head open from ear to eye... Still the Dane didn't even bat it's one good eye. My father proceeded to hit that dog so hard so many times that the shovel broke, finally the Dane backed off, shook the blood everywhere, and trotted off like nothing happened.

I learned a valuable lesson after seeing that, large breed dogs will simply not stop their attack until they are physically unable to continue. Dogs have a retarded kid on a cocaine fuled rage switch that is only turned off when they want to shut it off or they are dead.

If a spade head shoel won't kill a dog, I highly doubt a hammer would unless you get a lucky shot in.

And as a 12yr old, I was scared shitless.

We had a pair of Irish wolf hounds come start playing shake the sheep to death one Christmas and I watched Dad shoot the bitch in the face with both bbls of his 12 ga.  Granted it was #8 shot but it was from inside the room distance right  up the snout.  Peeled her face back.  She sort of snort snarled and followed her mate  back over the fence.  

Dad lost his opposition to me snagging a 7.62 that day.  Big dogs are a bitch to stop.  That hammer better hit the head.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Valid point that I guess I had not looked at from that angle.

My point was only that I, personnally, do not automatically condemn a dog based on breed alone.  But then I am a dog lover.

Cats, however, I have prejudged as an entire species.
View Quote

See sig line...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Weird considering I came from nothing, literally left home at 18, joined the military for two reasons 1.) Opportunity 2.) Pay for college. Turned that into a career, built my first home which became a rental. Then bought dream home. Realized my background and current career while military in nature is entirely based on the .gov.

So, I decided to transition into something entirely relied on how motivated I am and not an imaginary checkbook. Married a very similar minded woman.....who shares a Staffy and the evil human eating Cane Corso with me. All done before 30. Some of the thought process by members here is very hypocritical.

Aside from "engaged in physical fights" all those tendencies could also apply to elected officials.  This is teetering on "your guns are icky because a guy shot another guy. We need "better" gun laws."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Abstract

Abstract

Generalities allow for outliers, and I'm speaking generalities, not absolutes. The popularity of pits with shitbags is 100% of the problem with the breed.

Maybe you're a tepid, laid back, mellow sort of fellow that prefers Merchant & Ivory films to the Expendables, and chose both those breeds because you drew their breed names out of a hat....having 400+ breeds to choose from, your decision was not based on the perception, looks or reputation of the breeds. Maybe you wanted a nanny breed, and figured a Basset was just too much risk.

If so, that's truly wonderful, you are the 1%.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going strictly off this relatively unscientific poll posted a couple weeks ago, roughly 30% of Arfcom GD believes a ban is the answer.

Link
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Didn't even notice it until now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#39]
SNIP

Quoted:

If so, that's truly wonderful, you are the 1%.

View Quote

Obama said the same thing about me. You keep horrible company.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#41]

I made my own thread about that and guess what GD did?

Pretty much ignored it lol.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This. It was probably an airedale or a chinese crested, all dogs look alike so it's just crazy to think people would know what a pit bull looks like.

Then, there was the aggressiveness, latching on to the throat like a vise, and unrelenting attack. That's like a million miles from a pitbull.

Probably a basset hound, or a cat.

Good call.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pic of alleged pitbull? How do you know it was a pitbull?

This. It was probably an airedale or a chinese crested, all dogs look alike so it's just crazy to think people would know what a pit bull looks like.

Then, there was the aggressiveness, latching on to the throat like a vise, and unrelenting attack. That's like a million miles from a pitbull.

Probably a basset hound, or a cat.

Good call.

LMAO!

Thats a bingo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

GD tends to do that with threads that don't fit their paradigm. Yours fits the bill. So do the ones that feature dogs other than bull breeds doing the damage, like the little girl mauled by the Lab, or the little boy mauled by the Jack Russells, or the infant killed by the Catahoula. In fact, if you post anything other than a "pit bull attacks" story with reference to dog attacks, you get accused of trolling.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah that's pretty awesome.

<---------- watching his rottweiler and pitbull play in the backyard.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Multiple studies, reports, and statistics have been posted, along with countless gruesome stories, all of which are contrary to your opinion, and you completely ignore them all.  You throw down one anecdotal story of a one dog doing one good deed, pass judgement on all of GD, and claim vindication?  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Multiple studies, reports, and statistics have been posted, along with countless gruesome stories, all of which are contrary to your opinion, and you completely ignore them all.  You throw down one anecdotal story of a one dog doing one good deed, pass judgement on all of GD, and claim vindication?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I could post a bunch of gun violence statistics that make guns look bad but we all know better, it's the person not the gun.

Pass judgement? No they actually didn't reply, that's a simple fact.

You call it my opinion, when it's actually reality.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Found my calculator.

The following is based on the table found here, which purports to use the Clifton study data.  I'm using this simplified table for the sake of simplicity, even though I tend to get slightly different results when using the data I pulled from M.Clifton - mostly as it relates to breed as a percentage of total dog population.

As you can see below, the Pit Bull is a standout.

Ranked by Incidents of Serious Bodily Harm:
Pit bull 2792
Rottweiler 514
Pit bull-mix 191
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 105
German shepherd 102
Wolf hybrid 85
Husky 79
Akita 68
Boxer 62
Chow 58
German shepherd-mix 43
Doberman 18

But, total incidents may simply be a function of the dog's prevalence in society, so I've normalized the rankings based upon prevalence of the dog breed.  This gives us a slightly different picture.  What's that?  I've divided by zero?  Well, deal with it.

Ranked by Bodily Harm divided by Dog Category as % of Total Dog Population:
(these number are somewhat meaningless, but useful in this context and for ranking)
Wolf hybrid DIV/0!
Pit bull-mix DIV/0!
German shepherd-mix DIV/0!
Chow 644444
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 525000
Husky 112857
Pit bull 46533
Rottweiler 25700
Akita 6800
German shepherd 4857
Boxer 4429
Doberman1286

Ok, the above is for bodily harm, but what about deaths as a function of the dog's prevalence in society?  Based upon the following table, the rankings are the same, but the difference in % likelihood may be a little different.

Ranked by Death divided by Dog Category as % of Total Dog Population:
(these number are somewhat meaningless, but useful in this context and for ranking)
Wolf hybrid DIV/0!
Pit bull-mix DIV/0!
German shepherd-mix DIV/0!
Chow 77778
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 75000
Husky 35714
Pit bull 4383
Rottweiler 4050
Akita 800
German shepherd 714
Boxer 500
Doberman 500

If a dog attacks, is one breed of dog more likely to kill than another?  The next table starts to shows a pronounced trend, and strong differentiation amongst the top offenders when it comes to the likelihood of death once an attack starts.

Ranked by Death to Mauling Ratio:
Husky 1.04
Doberman 0.70
Wolf hybrid 0.39
Rottweiler 0.28
German shepherd-mix 0.25
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 0.25
Boxer 0.24
German shepherd 0.24
Chow 0.18
Akita 0.16
Pit bull 0.16
Pit bull-mix 0.12

Building upon the trend shown in the above chart, I've now ranked the breed based upon their Adult to Child Attack Ratio.  Now we are seeing some pronounced trends among breeds and similar breeds.

Huskies and Wolf Hybrids are child predators.  There's simply no other way to put it, and if you own one of these dogs, dear god, you've got to understand the risks.  This is the reason why Husky attacks disproportionately result in deaths.  

So, clearly Husky owners breed their dogs to be child killers.  There's simply no other explanation.  It certainly couldn't be genetic and somehow related to the breed.  No way.  Not possible.  Right?

Oh, yeah, and if you're old, ditch the Boxer - he's plotting your murder.

Ranked by Adult/Child Attack Ratio:
Wolf hybrid 0.07
Husky 0.10
German shepherd-mix 0.43
Chow 0.46
Rottweiler 0.47
German shepherd 0.48
Akita 0.49
Pit bull-mix 0.60
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 0.93
Pit bull 0.94
Doberman 1.00
Boxer 1.11

So, what does it all mean?  This is where I look at what the insurers have to say.  They dive into things more deeply and from the financial side, and some of their stuff has already been posted.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wonder if stabbing it with a small knife you would find on a multitool would do anything to a pit

Pitbulls should be shot on sight rhey are tge Trucknutz of the dog world.

View Quote

Whatever you say tough guy....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Animal aggression does not equate to people aggression.
View Quote

Exactly, terrier went terrier. Go figure
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want a statistic? Here's one for you to ruminate.

There are maybe 50 reported serious "pit bull" attacks in a year. Fewer if you only count the ones where the dog is identified as an actual APBT or AmStaff (not just a "pit type" or "pit mix". The population of pit bulls is estimated to be 2.5-10 MILLION (low side from a source trying to paint pits as bad, high side from people saying pits are not bad, truth probably somewhere in the middle).

50/2,500,000=0.00002 x 100= 0.002% (high estimate)
50/10,000,000=0.000005 x 100= 0.0005% (low estimate)

So somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.0005%-0.002% of pit bulls ever actually causes any sort of serious injury (or at least serious enough to warrant the attention of the news) to someone. Most any statistician would call that statistically insignificant.

Please explain how this constitutes the entire breed as the nightmarishly dangerous animals they are portrayed to be.

Oh, and those multiple studies all conclude that the data presented does not make a case for a breed being labeled as dangerous, especially considering circumstances other than breed (such as owner, supervision, socialization, and training) were not taken into account.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top