BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Contrary to what you've seen on Star Trek, there's really nothing all that interesting beyond the atmosphere that we could get to within a human's lifespan.
View Quote
I'm not saying that this is the dumbest thing I've read regarding space on here, but it SEEMS like it might be.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Don't need a Space Elevator for that when a cheap rocket powered tug will do, hear me out.

If we were to find an asteroid in the vicinity of Earth or one approaching, I suppose it would be cheaper to send a traditional ship out there to tether it and bring it to a  Near Earth Orbit for mining.  Do we need an elevator when we can just drop the mined ore into orbit?  Sure getting up there will be more difficult, but the cost of a Space Elevator will far and beyond eclipse the cost of anything we have ever built in Human history.  One good metal rich asteroid would change the economy of the world.

tldr version:
I think it would be cheaper to send a fleet of tugs out, tether and asteroid, bring it closer, set up a mining facility and drop the booty back to Earth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Contrary to what you've seen on Star Trek, there's really nothing all that interesting beyond the atmosphere that we could get to within a human's lifespan.

I think the moon, Mars and the asteroid belt would do for starters. Plenty of territory to rape out there.

Don't need a Space Elevator for that when a cheap rocket powered tug will do, hear me out.

If we were to find an asteroid in the vicinity of Earth or one approaching, I suppose it would be cheaper to send a traditional ship out there to tether it and bring it to a  Near Earth Orbit for mining.  Do we need an elevator when we can just drop the mined ore into orbit?  Sure getting up there will be more difficult, but the cost of a Space Elevator will far and beyond eclipse the cost of anything we have ever built in Human history.  One good metal rich asteroid would change the economy of the world.

tldr version:
I think it would be cheaper to send a fleet of tugs out, tether and asteroid, bring it closer, set up a mining facility and drop the booty back to Earth.

Oh, I agree. And we should have started doing that in the '70's. Or at least making progress toward such.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh, I agree. And we should have started doing that in the '70's. Or at least making progress toward such.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the moon, Mars and the asteroid belt would do for starters. Plenty of territory to rape out there.

tldr version:

The asteroid belt alone has untold gazillabillions (I just made that word up)  worth of dollars out there in rare metals, but it is just going to take a small fraction of that to get it back here, and that in itself is going to be a remarkably expensive task.  My solution would be to let free enterprise take care of the issue.  Let corporations design, plan, build and eventually launch mining expeditions to the "Outer Realms" and let mankind's spirit of exploration and exploitation take over.

We would be mining the asteroids in 20 years and exploring the universe in 100 years if we only were to unlock humanities desire to explore and witness the unknown.  Imagine, an entire asteroid or series of asteroids mined, built up and created as places where people who craved adventure and excitement could go, a New World, an unknown frontier.  My God, imagine how many of us would want to go!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Space elevator is the stupidest way to get into space I have ever seen.  We do not have material yet to make it or any way to erect it.  A completed elevator would cross through every orbit possible to an altitude a bit above geosync creating a collision hazard for all those satellites below the counter weight at the top.  Its 22000 mile to geosyne where you get off, at 1000mph it takes a day to get there.  What are you using to propel the elevator car up the ribbon over that great distance.  Retarded idea!
View Quote

You've just rattled off a list of engineering problems that need solving rather than the list of reasons not to do it that you intended.

There are reasons one could come up with not to do it, but you whiffed on that big time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A catapult would make more sense IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So we have all the technology to build a working space elevator.

Why do you think no ones built one yet?

Is it simply because no believes its of any value?

I think the acceleration required for that to work would be a back deal breaker.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The technology?

Can you even fathom the shear forces on a structure that tall? Let alone trying to support it's own weight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think the acceleration required for that to work would be a back deal breaker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd launch bulk stuff to orbit w/ the catapult, but would probably have to send people and fragile stuff via rocket.  Lots of things like construction supplies and oxygen/fuel would be suitable for a catapult.  If all you had to send via rocket was fragile items and people you'd small rockets instead of heavy lift.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
A space elevator for moon orbit is within current technology. Just get to lunar orbit and it could make lunar transport relatively easy.
It's a good way to work out bugs while developing technology for an earth based one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Think so huh?

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I think a non rocket system for getting stuff into space is much more realistic..

Some kind of hybrid rocket / mag-lev system.. Like a tunnel 20 miles long that can accelerate let's say a 1 ton moduadule to escape volicty..  Fill the tunnel with a light gas or vaccume like they do for rocket sleds..  Get the heavy work done 1 shot at a time..

Move people with conventional rockets...

We could do that right now..
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Tech is not there yet for an elevator.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think a non rocket system for getting stuff into space is much more realistic..

Some kind of hybrid rocket / mag-lev system.. Like a tunnel 20 miles long that can accelerate let's say a 1 ton moduadule to escape volicty..  Fill the tunnel with a light gas or vaccume like they do for rocket sleds..  Get the heavy work done 1 shot at a time..

View Quote

Fucking brililant!  

Never occured to me that there as an alternative to rockets that actually exists now as a feasible tech.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To get away from all these motherfuckers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why climb mount everest for a cup of ice when you live on a glacier?

Much of North America is completely uninhabited and still more of it is very sparsely populated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
When "space elevator" becomes the cheapest means of getting stuff into space (don't hold your breathe, its a dumb concept), it will be built.

Until then it's a ridiculous napkin concept that doesn't put out when cost is factored in.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Much of North America is completely uninhabited and still more of it is very sparsely populated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go try mining for gold using mercury in a completely uninhabited part of North America... Betcha a shitload of motherfuckers show up.

And don't even dare try to graze an animal or otherwise make a living off of said uninhabited land. I see motherfuckers. They're everywhere. And they don't even know they're motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  

Uh, no, that isn't how it works. Orbits are three dimensional. An orbit at a lower orbit does not inherently conflict with an elevator.
View All Quotes
Quoted:  

A completed elevator would cross through every orbit possible to an altitude a bit above geosync creating a collision hazard for all those satellites below the counter weight at the top.

Uh, no, that isn't how it works. Orbits are three dimensional. An orbit at a lower orbit does not inherently conflict with an elevator.

Orbits above geosynchronous don't.  Geosynchronous orbits don't.  Most orbits below geosynchronous eventually will pass over all equatorial points, and thus slam into the elevator unless captured, removed from orbit, or make a minor orbit change.  Or - your elevator could bend.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Make enough elevators and you won't need satellites.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Go try mining for gold using mercury in a completely uninhabited part of North America... Betcha a shitload of motherfuckers show up.

And don't even dare to to graze an animal or otherwise make a living off of said uninhabited land. I see motherfuckers. They're everywhere. And they don't even know they're motherfuckers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And don't even dare to to graze an animal or otherwise make a living off of said uninhabited land. I see motherfuckers. They're everywhere. And they don't even know they're motherfuckers.

Plenty of ranchers graze their animals on BLM land.

But I see your point.

Unfortunately, by the time anyone can reasonably get off the planet, the Federal government will have already put up a no trespassing sign.  Under our current system, if the Moon were to start colonizing tomorrow, no private citizen would be allowed to own a single acre of it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Orbits above geosynchronous don't.  Geosynchronous orbits don't.  Most orbits below geosynchronous eventually will pass over all equatorial points, and thus slam into the elevator unless captured, removed from orbit, or make a minor orbit change.  Or - your elevator could bend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  

A completed elevator would cross through every orbit possible to an altitude a bit above geosync creating a collision hazard for all those satellites below the counter weight at the top.

Conflicts may happen, but they will be random events where two otherwise divergent paths briefly intersect. An object simply orbiting below does not guarantee conflict. Orbits are big. Most objects are small. The number of completed orbits required for a conflict may be spectacularly high.

The occasional conflict could be solved with a terawatt class orbital cannon, I mean debris removal tool.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But I see your point.

Unfortunately, by the time anyone can reasonably get off the planet, the Federal government will have already put up a no trespassing sign.  Under our current system, if the Moon were to start colonizing tomorrow, no private citizen would be allowed to own a single acre of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I see your point.

Of course not..  Spain would sue ou for it.. And win..
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But I see your point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I see your point.

True enough. It's a nice dream though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Best sci-fi description of working elevators I've read was in Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars".
View Quote

An even better book where the entire plot is based on building a space elevator:

Wiki summary

I don't think the technology's there yet, but only on the tower structure.  Materials aren't up to the task for the stresses involved in a 40,000 km tower.  The rest is just engineering and funding--and the latter is the biggest problem of the two.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Potential reward on investment is likely low.  There's not so much going on @ geosynchronous orbit that can't be done w/ conventional chemical rockets far cheaper than a space elevator.  And then you've got to pay Space Elevator Operator Union wages.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:   So we have all the technology to build a working space elevator.

Potential reward on investment is likely low.  There's not so much going on @ geosynchronous orbit that can't be done w/ conventional chemical rockets far cheaper than a space elevator.  And then you've got to pay Space Elevator Operator Union wages.  
And we aint cheap!

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Space elevators are a cool idea (or maybe not), but one of their supposed major innovators will never deliver on anything.

I used to work for the CEO of LiftPort Group, Michael Laine. The guy has never delivered on anything that he's ever promised. Nothing, ever.

I worked for him several years after this article was written. None of the products he talks about in this article ever materialized.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/1996/nov/06/a-walk-down-teknology-lane/?print=1

and by the time I worked for him, his company was so under water that he refused to pay me for the better part of a year, until my dad (I was still in high school) walked into his office one day and threatened to sue him if he didn't cut me a check immediately.

LiftPort group's pie-in-the-sky designs and drawings are still featured prominently in many space elevator articles and publications. Where are their products? Nonexistant. Laine has figured out how to get people who like whizbang space tech to write him checks that he'll never deliver on, and that's what he does.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#26]
What happens when you get stuck on the 87,000th floor?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fucking brililant!  

Never occured to me that there as an alternative to rockets that actually exists now as a feasible tech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking brililant!  

Try reading "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress."  He's got a good case for catapults in there.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#28]
What if the elevator is built on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#29]
We only need enough to get people out to the asteroids. Then, they can mine whatever it is people want to mine. In order to get it back, they can then form a giant solid ball of the materials, like, a kilometer across, and fire it straight back at Earth at supersonic speeds. The giant ball of solid metal will crash through the atmosphere and impact somewhere unimportant, like Canada. We can then "re-mine" the metals from the craters.

What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:16:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We only need enough to get people out to the asteroids. Then, they can mine whatever it is people want to mine. In order to get it back, they can then form a giant solid ball of the materials, like, a kilometer across, and fire it straight back at Earth at supersonic speeds. The giant ball of solid metal will crash through the atmosphere and impact somewhere unimportant, like Canada. We can then "re-mine" the metals from the craters.

What could possibly go wrong?
View Quote

You would need a funicular type design. Think of a chainsaw blade, not an elevator. The weight of the cars coming down would pull the other cars upward, the only energy expended would be life support or when going up with little or no downward cargo. The lift side might have to wait till we could get product coming down. Give those damn miners some encouragement to work if they can't get air and food till they ship us some minerals. Also Heinleins "Jack and the beanstalk" was based on the top of the highest mountain on earth to save costs. It also gets blown up by terrorists, so there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:33:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bullshit. Building a simple wall on our border with Mexico is too complex and costs too much. There is no way we can build a space elevator.
.....at least with fucking democrats in charge.
View Quote

Yeah, it pisses me off that Obama stopped work on the wall that Reagan started, and Bush almost finished.

Democrats aren't the problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:45:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:05:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And don't even dare try to graze an animal or otherwise make a living off of said uninhabited land. I see motherfuckers. They're everywhere. And they don't even know they're motherfuckers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:06:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We have dreamers here talking about mining asteroids for materials, and not one of them has mentioned mining the trash out of near Earth orbit to not only recover valuable materials, but materials that have already been refined.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  

Conflicts may happen, but they will be random events where two otherwise divergent paths briefly intersect. An object simply orbiting below does not guarantee conflict. Orbits are big. Most objects are small. The number of completed orbits required for a conflict may be spectacularly high.

The occasional conflict could be solved with a terawatt class orbital cannon, I mean debris removal tool.

We have dreamers here talking about mining asteroids for materials, and not one of them has mentioned mining the trash out of near Earth orbit to not only recover valuable materials, but materials that have already been refined.

The first step to going to the astroroids will be building ships, probably in orbit. Cleaning up the usable "space junk" will provide the first materials for some of this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Forget the elevator.  How about a threadmill to the moon?
View Quote

Mind. Fucking.  Blown.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Because Muslims would blow it up?

Because the feds won't allow it to be built by private ventures because the fed would want to control it, and won't spend taxpayer money on it because the free shit army needs to be bribed to not riot?

View Quote

Sadly, this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Meh, some asshole will just press every button on the thing right before he gets off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:45:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Meh, some asshole will just press every button on the thing right before he gets off.
View Quote

And bust ass something fierce.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Biggest terrorist target in the world.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:09:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rail gun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Kevin Spacey should be the operator and tour guide.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Rail gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rail gun.

Yep.  Rail gun or something similar.   Launches limited by power, the amount of time they spend in the launcher and the orbit you put them in.  It'd also be at ground level instead of literally going to the sky where any idiot w/ a high powered laser could burn it down once they become available.   I don't see a beanstalk as being feasible in the world we live in.  Someone would take it down.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#43]

One more time, every satellite (and all that space junk) below the altitude of the counter weight (located some where above geosynchronous) and not in geosynchronous orbit will eventually have a close encounter with the fucking stupid ass space elevator. EVERY ONE OF THEM!  Some objects in the higher orbits may only have a close call ever few years, others will likely get close enough to worry every few weeks to even days.  That huge cloud of shit in inclined low earth orbit crossed the equator at least once an hour.  (Remember the ISS in LEO has a 90 minute orbit crossing the equator twice in that time).  Very little of that shit can maneuver to miss the elevator and the stuff that can maneuver will drastically reduce its lifetime in orbit dodging the space elevator.  A low earth object that does strike the elevator will do so at somewhere between 4.7 and 10.9 km/s (10,500 - 24,400 mph).  Even small trash (too small to be seen on ground base radar) will do significant damage at those velocities.  For this and a bunch of other reasons a space elevator is a really stupid way to get to orbit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Build it in the middle of nowhere in the pacific ocean. Buy yourself a few radars and a few SAMs. Call it good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/photogallery/beehives/GEO640.jpg

One more time, every satellite (and all that space junk) below the altitude of the counter weight (located some where above geosynchronous) and not in geosynchronous orbit will eventually have a close encounter with the fucking stupid ass space elevator. EVERY ONE OF THEM!  Some objects in the higher orbits may only have a close call ever few years, others will likely get close enough to worry every few weeks to even days.  That huge cloud of shit in inclined low earth orbit crossed the equator at least once an hour.  (Remember the ISS in LEO has a 90 minute orbit crossing the equator twice in that time).  Very little of that shit can maneuver to miss the elevator and the stuff that can maneuver will drastically reduce is life time in orbit dodging the space elevator.  A low earth object that does strike the elevator will do so at somewhere between 4.7 and 10.9 km/s (10,500 - 24,400 mph).  Even small (too small to be seen on ground base radar) trash will do significant damage at those velocities.  For this any a bunch of other reasons a space elevator is a really stupid way to get to orbit.
View Quote

Someone has never actually simulated a space debris field, and thus does not yet grasp how big an orbit really is.

How big is the elevator?

How big is the orbiting object?

How many times do those two combined sizes fit in the objects orbit?

That will start to give you an idea as to why this isn't a problem. Not only must the orbiting object pass through the latitude of the elevator (which, depending on orbit, may never even happen), it must do so at the exact moment the elevators longitude intercepts the orbit. The odds of such a combination event are tiny.

Further, most space junk is tiny and could be zapped with a laser, at least enough to alter its orbit to a non-conflict.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sadly, this was the highlight of my day. Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Space elevator is the stupidest way to get into space I have ever seen.  We do not have material yet to make it or any way to erect it.  A completed elevator would cross through every orbit possible to an altitude a bit above geosync creating a collision hazard for all those satellites below the counter weight at the top.  Its 22000 mile to geosyne where you get off, at 1000mph it takes a day to get there.  What are you using to propel the elevator car up the ribbon over that great distance.  Retarded idea!

Uh you don't need anything to propel you up. You wait till the Earth rotates upside down and you fall down to the top duh.

Sadly, this was the highlight of my day. Thanks

I got quite the chuckle out of it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Depends on what you define as interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on what you define as interesting.

Do you even Helium 3 bro?  There's enough of that shit on the moon to provide clean power for the planet for centuries.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

1) I don't think we have the technology to accomplish that yet,

2) Assuming we do, I don't think the cost vs reward ratio is good enough yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Um, no.  We don't.  We aren't even all that close to it.  Even when we do have it, the cost is going to be (pardon the pun) astronomical.

There are MAJOR engineering and materials challenges before we can build the structures required.  I think there are better ideas out there for low-cost LEO delivery, actually.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Build it in the middle of nowhere in the pacific ocean. Buy yourself a few radars and a few SAMs. Call it good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably want to build it in Ecuador, where there's a nice tall mountain on the equator already.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top