Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/19/2014 2:50:54 AM EDT
I've owned Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, and now ride a Triumph.

On every single one of the makes some jerk, usually  wearing Harely Davidson stuff, says "get a real bike", or something like that. Rarely is it someone actually riding a motorcyle of any kind.

A guy at work just boght an Indian. Pretty bike, just not my style.  SO anyway, would Harley douchebags tell him to get a real bike?

Is it an "American made" thing, or a brand thing?

And for the record, both Kawasakis I rode were made in Nebraska.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Hartards gonna hartard.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:10:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The Harley riders around here accept Triumph bikes [ I have two ] without sneering. I guess it is a ''heritage'' thing, Harley was started in 1903-- Triumph was in 1902....
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:11:48 AM EDT
[#3]
IN THE SPRING MY BIKE (HONDA) GOES FOR A RIDE, HARLEY`S GO ON THE BACK OF A TRUCK TO THE SHOP.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:13:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Two guys in this pic are converts from HD's,  one of them added the words to this pic.  This next weekend there will be two more former HD retards showing up for our weekly " lets go get lost" ride.

HD folks aren't bad once they quit riding HDs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:13:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Harley riders around here accept Triumph bikes [ I have two ] without sneering. I guess it is a ''heritage'' thing, Harley was started in 1903-- Triumph was in 1902....
View Quote

This is true.

Most HD guys I've met are good natured towards the "metric" bikes.  

IT's the same thing as the Colt Guys here vs. the other black rifles, IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then they'd love Indian. Started in 1901
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]
in my experience most of that "get a real bike" sentiment comes from wannabes who dress up like Pirates once a week and ride to the local HD dealership to shop for clothing. They were told by television advertising and pop culture that everyone aspires to own the big twin and anything less simply isn't a "real bike" ....they buy a t-shirt and instantly they are in the club.....lol.......now the interesting part is that people who really know/live and ride motorcycles on a regular basis and actually ride without getting dressed will in general embrace and appreciate other brands.....I own a HD and up until recently a restored 1976 Kawasaki.....when my buddies would come over and we would be milling around the garage.......guess which bike was usually surrounded by guys appreciating it....the KAW.....lol....
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

On every single one of the makes some jerk, 1usually  wearing Harely Davidson stuff, says "get a real bike", or something like that. Rarely is it someone actually riding a motorcyle of any kind.
A guy at work just boght an 2 Indian. Pretty bike, just not my style.  SO anyway, would Harley douchebags tell him to get a real bike?
View Quote
1 - That guy, He doesnt even have a bike

He is not into motorcycles

he is an ignorant douche bag or pretending to be one...
2 Hell no they wont, they have been out culted in the American bike scheme

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]
OP...I know exactly what you mean!  As a motorcycle guy, I can't stand it when Harley guys complain against certain other types of riders.

I mean...who does that?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Harley riders like to pretend they are unique and special but in reality they are nothing but costume wearing lemmings. Go to any group of them and the same faux bad ass theme: Harley branded everything, pudding bowl helmet with retarded stickers all over it, leather vest (?) with equally retarded pis all over it. I really have no gripe with Harley itself although its not my style its the lifestyle surrounding it that annoys the shit out of me. I had one guy ask me how much my Ducati was and his reply was that's almost Harley money.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

OP...I know exactly what you mean!  As a motorcycle guy, I can't stand it when Harley guys complain against certain other types of riders.

I mean...who does that?
View Quote

I don't give a shit who rides what. I just find it fucking hilarious that only riders of certain types of bikes actually do say "Why don't you get a real bike".  Had a lady actually say that to my buddy and I.  He had an R1, and she said the only real bikes are Harleys.  How about the scowls at the stop lights, fucking lol.  

Shit, some of the threads in GD are fucking gold mines.   Harley riders having different value systems, calling non HD riders sissy boys on their yammy haws.  Shit is great, and just perpetuates the stereotype.  It's a fucking conveyance, who gives a shit what one person spent their fucking money on.  Just ride it, have fun, and don't die.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:38:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hartards gonna hartard.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:40:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Harley Davidson: The most effective way of turning gas into noise without the side effect of horsepower.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:45:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Harley riders like to pretend they are unique and special but in reality they are nothing but costume wearing lemmings. Go to any group of them and the same faux bad ass theme: Harley branded everything, pudding bowl helmet with retarded stickers all over it, leather vest (?) with equally retarded pis all over it. I really have no gripe with Harley itself although its not my style its the lifestyle surrounding it that annoys the shit out of me. I had one guy ask me how much my Ducati was and his reply was that's almost Harley money.
View Quote

One of my wife's nephews is a HardTard. Gay pirate gear, the whole bit. He held a cookout and his buddies al show up looking like village people. All are riding swing arm or soft tail bikes with electric starts.

His Brother in law shows up on a hard tail triumph that is kick start only. The only hard ass bike there.

HardTards were all giving him shit. I laughed and told the idiot what punk ass bitch he was.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:54:35 AM EDT
[#15]
something like this really fucks with a lot of people as they have been told all sportsers are girls bikes....lol

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:03:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Snobbery and elitism has the potential to ruin everything that was ever cool.

If you let it.

You wanna catch some flak, ride a dualsport (I always called them enduros) in a town fucking infested with these know-nothings.

By know-nothings, I'm not referring to Harley guys, that are real motorcycle dudes.

You either appreciate anything with 2 wheels and a motor,  or you're a poseur.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:05:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Phags
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:07:04 AM EDT
[#18]
The last Hells Angels party I went to I rode my Honda Ruckus, we all had a good time.

Haven't heard any brand bashing in over 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:08:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Who gives a fuck what some fat, sweaty, drunken, meth-head, inky biker thinks about your motorcycle.  Tell him to fuck off
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:11:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

something like this really fucks with a lot of people as they have been told all sportsers are girls bikes....lol

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/lsheets65/goldnblackledsled__zpsa88021e6.jpg

View Quote
Is it kick start only ( xlch )  if not,  yes it's a chicks bike.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Take solace in the fact that they wish they had a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:15:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The last Hells Angels party I went to I rode my Honda Ruckus, we all had a good time.

Haven't heard any brand bashing in over 20 years.
View Quote

this is true.  Haven't been to a HA party but last  23 event I attended had a few metrics thrown in as well as indian and triumph. No one gives a shit what you ride. This BS about HD riders making issues of what people ride is 20 year old crap perpetuated by people who for whatever reason hold on to some branding issues themselves. You can find an asshole in any group if the sample size is large enough.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck what some fat, sweaty, drunken, meth-head, inky biker thinks about your motorcycle.  Tell him to fuck off
View Quote

My experience those are the ones that are gracious, it's the button up poser rubs that are douches. Rode sportsters for years then about the time HD's became the must have bad boy  accessory all of a sudden I was a pussy. Switched over to triumph adv. now they want to ruin that too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:18:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I ride a 40 year old BMW.

Weekend warrior 1%'ers. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/lsheets65/goldnblackledsled__zpsa88021e6.jpg
View Quote

My '87 Sporty was a fun little bar blaster. I milled out the front sprocket cover and put a 23 tooth front sprocket on it. That bike was great! Plenty of power and I got 120 miles out of the 2 gal peanut tank.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I thought we did the weekly Harley hate threads on thursdays ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#27]
In 1984 I bought a new, '84 kawasaki 750 gpz. I was tooling around Orlando one weekend night and a carload of kids pull up next to me and start screaming  "buy American!", "Get a Harley",...and so on. I would have taken them a little more seriously ...if they weren't driving around in a late 70's honda Civic..
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Consumer brand loyalty disguised as an individualist lifestyle is not only a motorcycling phenomenon.  Some people really rely on the things they buy to define them.  Some of us use sports teams, political affiliation, sexual preference, or even religious faith to do the same thing.  Humans have a tendency to make idols out of darn near anything.

Most of the really "hard core" bikers don't give a shit what you ride.  But you'd never notice that because they are hard people to meet or to even like.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:23:55 AM EDT
[#29]
My latest bike is a Moto Guzzi.

In the past the only HD riders that knew anything about the marque and gave sincere compliments about their unique attributes and vast history have been the crusty true 1%'s I've met out and about and at the Daytona meets.  

"What the hell is that"? Is what I generally hear from the typical HD posers. Their fukkin clueless about motorcycles. And they love showing the whole world they are by their lack of knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Hardly Ableson
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:25:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I dunno......I ride a Road King and my FIL rides a Honda. We'll go places and other people (non riders) will say to me......."whatcha doin ridin with that Honda ?",  So it's not just asshat Harley guys that say that chit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:26:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I mean...who does that?
View Quote

Fudds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Calm down guys.  The dentists, real estate brokers and insurance salesmen who are really cool after all, need some way to identify each other.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:50:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I am so very sorry that you've obviously had traumatic experiences with some assholes who just happened to own Harleys.

Personally, I'm in love with ALL bikes. If I were rich as Jay Leno, I'd have a warehouse full of every bike made.

Just so happens that I can barely afford one bike and it's paid for...and yeah, it's a Harley.

I hope you have better luck in the future.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Repeat after me "Twice the reliability for half the money".
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

On every single one of the makes some jerk, usually  wearing Harely Davidson stuff, says "get a real bike", or something like that. Rarely is it someone actually riding a motorcyle of any kind.

A guy at work just boght an Indian. Pretty bike, just not my style.  SO anyway, would Harley douchebags tell him to get a real bike?

View Quote

It's sort of a brand/American made thing but it's more of a douche bag statement uttered usually by someone who has no clue about motorcycles.  Usuallly that person who exhibits such ignorance doesn't realize that there are a good amount of foreign made/outsourced parts on their HD, don't realize that some foreign bikes are made here and couldn't kick start a motorcycle to save their lives.  I'm on both sides of the fence owning a 2012 HD Road King and a 1973 Triumph Bonneville T140V so I get it from both crowds.  The amount of HD slurs I hear from the brit bike crowd is just as bad and the idiots on HD's. I must say however that the slurs uttered by the europen bike riders while being a generalization are usually right.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I was behind a guy on a Harley just yesterday on the way to work.  Watched him give the "Hey, I ride motorcycles, too!!" wave to another Harley going in the opposite direction.  Not even 5 minutes later, a CBR goes by.  They did not wave to eachother.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am so very sorry that you've obviously had traumatic experiences with some assholes who just happened to own Harleys.

Personally, I'm in love with ALL bikes. If I were rich as Jay Leno, I'd have a warehouse full of every bike made.

Just so happens that I can barely afford one bike and it's paid for...and yeah, it's a Harley.

I hope you have better luck in the future.
View Quote

+100000

I've owned and ridden nearly every major brand (and some odd balls too).  I currently own a Road King that I love (what's not to love - it's paid for!).  The only time I've heard somebody screech about 'real bikes' is a go-fast organ donor as he blasted past a BMW 650 scooter ridden by an 82 year old man.  The BMW rider was a former dealership owner (HD) who rode the scooter because his hip replacement made it hard to get his leg over the seat.  His bike was 18 months old and had 30k miles on it.  Real bikes get ridden...

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:13:26 AM EDT
[#39]
If I don't wave back, it's not because I'm a snob. It's because I'm trying not to die getting wiped out by someone texting while driving a car.

Nothing personal...
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Just an observation. It would seem most of you with your  responses here are no different than what you all complain about the HD riders. Whole lot of BS and non-sense flying around in this thread

The insults and lies you all boast bring you to the same level
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I ride a 40 year old BMW.

View Quote

YEAH!

I used to know a really nice guy named Andy R. who lived in Stillwater, OK had an antique BMW with matching sidecar that he had completely restored. He apparently had a stroke while riding one afternoon. Some other friends saw him stopped on the side of the road sitting on his motorcycle. They were riding too and thought he had pulled over to watch the sunset. They pulled over, started talking to him and realized he wasn't talking back. One of them reached over and touched his shoulder and asked if he was OK. He fell off the scooter and apparently had been dead for a while.

Whata  way to go. We all die sometime, but to be doing something you love and go so quickly and without warning.

I hope I'm so lucky when my time comes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Sons of Accounting take their Harleys seriously.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Consumer brand loyalty disguised as an individualist lifestyle is not only a motorcycling phenomenon.  Some people really rely on the things they buy to define them.  Some of us use sports teams, political affiliation, sexual preference, or even religious faith to do the same thing.  Humans have a tendency to make idols out of darn near anything.

Most of the really "hard core" bikers don't give a shit what you ride.  But you'd never notice that because they are hard people to meet or to even like.  
View Quote

Totally stole this for the scar thread.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Heh, you think thats bad. Try riding a spyder. But idgaf i wave to any motorcycles that pass me. Funny its the harleys i get the least waves returned from..most BMW and metric guys wave though.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:49:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm a Harley guy and I don't mind other bikes.  Bikes are bikes, I just prefer to ride a Harley.  My dad, both Uncles, cousins, Grandfather,  and great uncles all ride Harleys.  My brother rides a KTM 640 Supermoto and a Yamaha R1.  I have rode and like his bikes.  None of us talk shit to eachother, either you ride or you dont.  Most of the bullshit is the lifestyle homos who ride 10 miles a month and have $7000 worth of Harley trendy clothes and are scared to get their chrome/paint dirty.  This is why I don't go to the dealers unless I really need something right now and can't wait for shipping online.  I used to work at the dealer and am disgusted with the direction the company has gone.  They are a bunch of hipster sellouts.  I don't do the club thing either, most of my riding buddies are neck deep in this club thing they have here and they all think they are on Sons of Anarchy.  I don't have a problem with Honda, Yamaha,  BSA, Triumph, Indian, etc.  Riding is riding and douchenozzles are gonna douchenozzle.  YMMV.

ETA: Riding my Harley doesn't make me better than anyone else. I don't care what others choose to ride, and I wave at everyone including the Spyder folks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Heh, you think thats bad. Try riding a spyder. But idgaf i wave to any motorcycles that pass me. Funny its the harleys i get the least waves returned from..most BMW and metric guys wave though.

View Quote

I have no problems with the Spyder crowd, I don't see an awful lot of them down here though. Anything that gets more people riding or keeps more people riding is ok in my book.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#47]
I honestly haven't experienced this mentality in probably 10-15 years. Anyone that bases their identity around a corporate trademark is not anyone I would want to be around anyway.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#48]
What a fucking coincidence, OP. The other day at work these young punks were trying to tell me to retire my old dinosaur Harley and get something more nimble and faster. Odd how they all look like Justin Biebers and smell like Summers Eve Douche.
Funny how it goes both ways, huh?

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top