Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have great envy.  Your landscape shots are wonderful.  Can you tell us the film and filter combinations?

I once Han a Mamiua C33.  Loved that thing.  I now have a Leica M3 and can't afford any more lenses for it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I own a few Safe Queen cameras.  My favorite is a Rolleiflex F/2,8C that was my dad's.  I used it a lot when I was taking photography classes in college days.

I wish someone would make a digital back for that one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a beautiful camera.

That she is.  I kind of hate to use it for fear of scratching it.  It is going to be my main travel/hiking/camping LF camera.

I own a few Safe Queen cameras.  My favorite is a Rolleiflex F/2,8C that was my dad's.  I used it a lot when I was taking photography classes in college days.

I wish someone would make a digital back for that one.

I'd love an old Rolleiflex, they seem to be going for premium prices now though.  I have the cheaper sibling, a Rolleichord.

Film still has the edge to me with b&w,  you can digitize film negatives very easily with a light table, a decent crop sensor camera and a macro lens.  That's how all my medium format images are digitized.  It takes 9 images stitched using a 50mm macro lens.  The native files are close to 100 megapixels, so they can be printed huge.

Here's a shot at what I'm talking about.  I use a light table and Sony Nex 5n and MacroTakumar 50mm f4 lens now though.

Digitizing-Medium-Format-Negatives by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
GORGEOUS !!!!!

$500?.........$500?..................Did you say $500?

View Quote

Yup, $500.00.   My credit card is still smoking from taking it out of my wallet so fast
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Beautiful camera and a great price

My find was a Leica M3 with 35 mm lens in like new condition for ... $107.00

We both be fortunate souls.
View Quote

Now you're making ME jelous.  I'd LOVE an M3, it is my ultimate rangefinder.  It would be hard to justify the price they go for nowadays.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can you believe that I like it.

My 1916 Grundlach Korona.

http://keithmillerphotography.com/show/2035.jpg
 Lens is from the early 1950's  
View Quote

Very nice!  Is that a 5x7?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have great envy.  Your landscape shots are wonderful.  Can you tell us the film and filter combinations?

I once Han a Mamiua C33.  Loved that thing.  I now have a Leica M3 and can't afford any more lenses for it?
View Quote

These are shot on either Arista EDU 100 or 200, rebranded Foma 100 and 200 and developed in either Adonal or Xtol.

All were shot with a #25 red gel filter.

You can click on each image and it will tell you the exact film used and developer used.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I took a couple of photos at the local lake.  It started to rain and I had to pack up.  This showed me how fast and easy to use this camera is going to be.  I had it folded up and everything put in the pack in under one minute.

My Sinar 4x5 takes 10 minutes to assemble and disassemble by comparison.

I'm going to develop the two sheets tonight, if they are any good, I'll digitize them and post them up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool camera!

Nice photographs, too.  You've got some great stuff on your website.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cool camera!

Nice photographs, too.  You've got some great stuff on your website.
View Quote

Thanks!

Just finished developing 4 sheets of 4x5, they are drying right now.

I'll probably digitize them tomorrow and post them here, that is if I'm not too tired from hiking and photographing in the high country tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you believe that I like it.

My 1916 Grundlach Korona.

http://keithmillerphotography.com/show/2035.jpg

Lens is from the early 1950's  

4x5.  Oh, I still have one of the Rolleiflex cameras I used to shoot weddings years ago.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:16:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Steampunk as fuck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I rode up into the high country today to try out the new camera.  I shot all twelve sheets I had and I'm now developing them.  I'm not sure if they'll be dry enough to digitize tonight.

When I digitize them, I'll post them up.  Anyway, here are a couple photos of the outing.  The metal tripod will have to go.  I am looking for either a reis or Berlebach wood tripod to go with the camera.

20-July-2014-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

20-July-2014-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

This elk grazed right up to me as I was sitting and taking a break, its hard work hiking around at 12,000 ft.

20-July-2014-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet....

Beautiful pictures.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sweet....

Beautiful pictures.
View Quote

Thanks.

Looks like I'll have something up by tonight from the large format camera.

4x5 negatives are much harder to digitize compared to medium format negatives.  Especially when I don't have a negative scanner.  I could always wet print and scan the prints, but that is a pretty long process as it takes a while working on a print to get exactly what you are looking for.

I think I have the digitizing figured out now though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks.

4x5 negatives are much harder to digitize compared to medium format negatives.  Especially when I don't have a negative scanner.  I could always wet print and scan the prints, but that is a pretty long process as it takes a while working on a print to get exactly what you are looking for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet....

Beautiful pictures.

Thanks.

My negative scanner cost more than the large and medium format cameras. It still is a slow process.  I love the results but use digital more because it is so easy to get mediocre results.  Digital still has a long way to go to get the look of quality LF prints.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Well it took a while to work out, but here is the first shot from my new camera.  This was shot on Foma 200 using a #25 red gel, exposed at 160 using the zone system.  It was developed in Rodinal at 50:1 for 8 minutes.

Please ignore the streaking in the sky, that is an artifact of digitizing and stitching the image (I really need to pick up a negative scanner).

It was near noon with the sun overhead and not nearly as clear as normal, a decent amount of haze was in the air.  Not a very good time to get the best out of photos, but it was still fun.

The other photos will have to wait until tomorrow.  Now that I have a process worked out to digitize, they should be much faster to finish.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is the second photo I took on Sunday with the new camera.

I am finding better ways to digitize. This one shows no artifacts in the sky from stitching (I have to stitch 9 images together, making for a roughly 150 megapixel image).

It was still high noon though, so the photo doesn't have the character it would have if shot in the morning or evening.

Mummy Mountain is in the distance.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well it took a while to work out, but here is the first shot from my new camera.  This was shot on Foma 200 using a #25 red gel, exposed at 160 using the zone system.  It was developed in Rodinal at 50:1 for 8 minutes.

Please ignore the streaking in the sky, that is an artifact of digitizing and stitching the image (I really need to pick up a negative scanner).

It was near noon with the sun overhead and not nearly as clear as normal, a decent amount of haze was in the air.  Not a very good time to get the best out of photos, but it was still fun.

The other photos will have to wait until tomorrow.  Now that I have a process worked out to digitize, they should be much faster to finish.

http://www.andrewmarjamaphotography.com/photos/i-VtMHgvb/0/XL/i-VtMHgvb-XL.jpg
View Quote
Nice camera.   I had a Linhoff years ago and did a lot of large format work.   If you are a Zone System guy, try using HC 110 on a one shot basis (using a syringe) and tray develop.  I got better results with that than any other developers and I tried almost everything.    If you have access to a densitometer, use it.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I've heard that's what Ansel used.  I haven't tried it yet, but I am placing an order at Freestyle Photo in a couple of days, I'll add that to the cart.

I mainly use Rodinal because it is so easy.  Do you just one shot it, or replenish?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've heard that's what Ansel used.  I haven't tried it yet, but I am placing an order at Freestyle Photo in a couple of days, I'll add that to the cart.

I mainly use Rodinal because it is so easy.  Do you just one shot it, or replenish?

View Quote
One shot and done.   If you use a syringe and pull a few CCs from the container, it will go a long way.    Get an over sized 8x10 tray - use silicone blobs about the size of a 22 slug to make 4 separate 4x5 sections in the tray.   You can develop 4 sheets at once this way.  You'll get good, consistent results because your developer will always react the same way.   If you are doing the Zone System, you'll be able to manipulate your images precisely.   BTW, I know that many like Rodinal.  I used it for a while, too, but found that HC 110 worked better for me.   Rodinal can give you very fine grain structure, but I found that HC 110 offered better contrast and sharpness, while being less critical to exposure.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I inherited one of these and another medium format camera from my father, along with a full B&W darkroom set for up to 8x10 negatives.  I just don't have the money to use it.   I also have a Canon EOS 3 (film), and 1.4-2.8L lenses from 8mm to 450mm in various steps, both fisheye and aspherical, all for Canon DSLR.  Now I'm looking for a cheap Canon 60D for trade or something, would this one be worth a trade like that?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d2/Rolleiflex_f2-8-F.jpg/768px-Rolleiflex_f2-8-F.jpg
View Quote
You'll be lucky to get $150 for the Rollei.  Damn shame.   I had one just like that and when I sold it, I felt violated.    

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One shot and done.   If you use a syringe and pull a few CCs from the container, it will go a long way.    Get an over sized 8x10 tray - use silicone blobs about the size of a 22 slug to make 4 separate 4x5 sections in the tray.   You can develop 4 sheets at once this way.  You'll get good, consistent results because your developer will always react the same way.   If you are doing the Zone System, you'll be able to manipulate your images precisely.   BTW, I know that many like Rodinal.  I used it for a while, too, but found that HC 110 worked better for me.   Rodinal can give you very fine grain structure, but I found that HC 110 offered better contrast and sharpness, while being less critical to exposure.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I placed an order for some HC110.  The idea of the silicon blobs is a good one!  The main reason for not tray developing was because of scratches.  The idea of seperating 4 4x5 sheets in an 8x10 tray should alleviate that.

You still have to spend 20 minutes at a time in the dark though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I broke down and ordered a v750 Pro. Besides taking a long time to dizitize the way I am, I don't think I am getting near the quality from the negatives I can with a scanner.

I've been wanting one for the past year or so, ever since getting into medium format film. It will also work well to digitize all my family's color slides.

I'm going to wait for the scanner to arrive before I post more images. I'll also rescan the two images posted here and see if I can get better detail.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#25]
The same cock pic?  Terrible and unoriginal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The same cock pic?  Terrible and unoriginal.
View Quote

Think you posted in the wrong thread there, chief
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Well my scanner came in today.  I can't believe how easy it is compared to my previous way of digitizing.

I am getting MUCH better output, very close to how my wet prints look.  

Here are a couple quick scans of two shots I took last weekend while out camping.  Both of these shots are nothing special, just a couple of quick snaps while I am learning how to shoot with a large format camera.  They look MUCH better large on my screen.  Compressing and shrinking them for the web really robs them of their depth.

Old-Camp-26-July-2014 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

This one was shot during a drizzle after the sun went behind the mountains.  I exposed the film for 8 seconds (I guessed that would be enough) and got this.

Rushing-Mountain-Stream-26-July-2014 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Both of these shots were made with a Fujinon W 125mm F5.6 lens.  Shot on Foma 200 and developed in Rodinal at 50:1 for 8 minutes.

This scanner is going to open up a new world for me for shooting film.  I can't wait to see what I can come up with.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I just received some expired (2 years old) TMAX 400 film today, so I loaded up a couple of film holders and went out after work today to see if the film was any good.  I developed in HC-110(h) and rated the film at 250 ISO.  The film works, but it is much more grainy than I thought it would be.  Maybe it is the developer.  I need to mix up another batch of Xtol to see if that does better.

Anyway, here are two I shot and developed today, both shot with a red filter with an oncoming storm.

Storms-Coming by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Loveland-Feed-and-Grain-1891 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Ugh, now I need an RB67......off to Ebay.

Nice work BTW.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ugh, now I need an RB67......off to Ebay.

Nice work BTW.
View Quote

Thanks.  Yeah, the RB67 cameras are extremely cheap nowdays .  Though a little heavy, they take EXTREMELY sharp photos.  It is one BIG SLR.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top