BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He was still alive and moving after the choke hold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Cop that Choked him will end up in jail on a murder or civil rights charge, choke holds are bad juju in NYC since the Baez incident.
The superior officers that were on the scene that allowed this to happen just ended their career's!
Dumb bastards!

Yeah, sure he was, if you consider convulsing on the ground in his death throe's being alive.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd be interested to know exactly what they were attempting to take him in to custody for.  The selling cigarettes sounds weird, but then again I don't live in NYC so that may be normal.

Either way, that was a big boy.  He had quite a bit of fight in him when it first started and he was acting belligerent before LE even attempted to go hands on.  He proceeded to put up a struggle even with 4 or 5 officers attempting to get him to the ground.

If you know you have health issues, don't fight the Police.  As a matter of fact, I think "don't fight the Police" is a pretty good strategy in any situation, healthy or not.
View Quote

Oh, so using your logic - if a person like me, who has serious health issues from an injury - gets hassled and then killed by the police for some bullshit charge when there are witnesses who claim no crime took place, then it's my fault for not just sticking my hands up and saying "I give". Jesus Christ....

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
use of chokehold in NYC was outlawed - except when an officer was in fear for his life - back in 1985.  In 1993 Commissioner Ray Kelly banned the use of chokeholds entirely.

that being said, guy shouldn't have put up a fight with 5 cops around him.  Never turns good.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Doubtful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Cop that Choked him will end up in jail on a murder or civil rights charge, choke holds are bad juju in NYC since the Baez incident.
The superior officers that were on the scene that allowed this to happen just ended their careers.
Dumb bastards!

Doubtful.

Wait until Comrade DiBlasios wife sees the Video & calls Her pal Eric Holder over @ justice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For the life of me I can't understand why you would ever resist arrest.  No cop has EVER said "Well he doesn't want to be arrested so let's let him go".  

Resisting is ALWAYS going to make it worse on YOU.  You are going to get hurt and get more charges.

If cops want to arrest you, you WILL be arrested.  Your only option is to fight it in court or possibly at the police station afterwards while having a calm conversation.
View Quote

With attitudes like your's, it's only a matter of time until we are all subjects....

He didn't resist shit until the cops decided to use bullshit excessive force.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh, so using your logic - if a person like me, who has serious health issues from an injury - gets hassled and then killed by the police for some bullshit charge when there are witnesses who claim no crime took place, then it's my fault for not just sticking my hands up and saying "I give". Jesus Christ....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd be interested to know exactly what they were attempting to take him in to custody for.  The selling cigarettes sounds weird, but then again I don't live in NYC so that may be normal.

Either way, that was a big boy.  He had quite a bit of fight in him when it first started and he was acting belligerent before LE even attempted to go hands on.  He proceeded to put up a struggle even with 4 or 5 officers attempting to get him to the ground.

If you know you have health issues, don't fight the Police.  As a matter of fact, I think "don't fight the Police" is a pretty good strategy in any situation, healthy or not.

So, it's okay to resist arrest if it's "some bullshit charge"?  

Quoted:

Are you fucking kidding? What video were you watching?

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Spin it all you want he was resisting arrest. He would not have died if he had complied with the arrest commands.

Also we don't know why or how he actually died yet. If I had to guess heart attack. From what I can tell in the video he did not die from not being able to breathe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going with poor health killed him.

Yeah, he should have been in better shape to withstand that. He probably would have fell over and died at the exact same time and day without his encounter with police.

Shit happens when you fight the cops and are in poor health.

Are you saying police have no responsibility to alter their physical force level if the suspect's life is in danger as a direct result of that force? The guy never tried to harm any of the cops, so he wasn't "fighting", he was resisting being handcuffed. Would you use the same force on a 90 year old woman as a 20 year old man?

Or maybe it is the citizen's responsibility to be in good enough physical condition to be able to withstand being choked while 5 cops pile on top of you???

Spin it all you want he was resisting arrest. He would not have died if he had complied with the arrest commands.

Also we don't know why or how he actually died yet. If I had to guess heart attack. From what I can tell in the video he did not die from not being able to breathe.

No. He died because he was choked with 5 officers piled on top of him. That was the direct cause of his death. The suspect did evade being handcuffed which caused the inappropriate response from police. That inappropriate response from police is what caused the suspect's death. It has already been pointed out that a choke hold has been deemed inappropriate by the NYPD.

Link
Kelly Bans Choke Holds By Officers
By IAN FISHER
Published: November 24, 1993
EMAIL
PRINT
The New York City Police Department has issued an order banning the use of choke holds, the restraining maneuvers that cut off the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain and have been blamed in the deaths of suspects here and around the nation.

The directive comes as police departments around the country have prohibited or reviewed the use of various choke holds by officers. It also underscores a nationwide debate, fueled by greater violence on city streets, on the appropriate use of police force, from 9-millimeter handguns to "hogtying" to pepper spray.

At a police promotion ceremony at One Police Plaza, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly characterized the ban not as a new policy but as clarification of a 1985 order. That order said that "choke holds, which are potentially lethal and unnecessary, will not be routinely used." An exception was when an officer's life was in danger and the choke hold was the "least dangerous alternative method of restraint." The new policy allows no exceptions.

While the policy does not specifically name alternatives, it stresses "appropriate tactics," which police officers and other experts said could include various nonlethal restraining devices like Velcro straps, handcuffs or water cannons.

New York City has not trained police cadets in the use of choke holds for at least 10 years, Chief Timoney and other experts said, and their use here has been less controversial and apparently apparently less widespread than in Los Angeles. In that city between 1977 and 1982, 16 people died in cases in which the choke hold was used -- twice as many as in the 20 other largest police departments combined, said James J. Fyfe, a professor a professor at Temple University in Philadelphia and a former city police officer who has studied police brutality.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, don't waste your breath.  He can't help but let his distain for police and authority cloud his opinion.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]
a 43 year old 400 pound asthmatic...
View Quote

Dude was a heart attack waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#10]
No one is going to know jack shit until a coroner's report comes out and details the actual cause of death.  Was his windpipe crushed from the chokehold?  Or did he suffer cardiac arrest?  It seems a near certainty that the agency will settle on the civil suit, but as far as criminal culpability I bet the answer is going to depend on the cause of death.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

death for resisting seems fair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the life of me I can't understand why you would ever resist arrest.  No cop has EVER said "Well he doesn't want to be arrested so let's let him go".  

Resisting is ALWAYS going to make it worse on YOU.  You are going to get hurt and get more charges.

If cops want to arrest you, you WILL be arrested.  Your only option is to fight it in court or possibly at the police station afterwards while having a calm conversation.

Exactly.

death for resisting seems fair.

It is fair.

You sound like one of those liberals who complain about a woman getting killed by the police because she was speeding.

No, the truth is that speeding was the initial reason why the cop tried to pull her over.  She got killed because she ran from the cops and hit into a wall at 120MPH.

In both situations, the person caused their own death by making stupid decisions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Selling untaxed cigarettes? I feel safer already...
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes

Doubt that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dude, don't waste your breath.  He can't help but let his distain for police and authority cloud his opinion.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I should know better. Sometimes, the detachment from reality here reaches the "They should have shot the knife out of his hand" levels.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It seems a near certainty that the agency will settle on the civil suit...
View Quote

The city settles pretty much settles on anything.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I know, I should know better. Sometimes, the detachment from reality here reaches the "They should have shot the knife out of his hand" levels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The video is edited at the beginning, because the officer talked to the guy for a long time trying to take him into custody peacefully.  HE decided to not go with the program.  HE decided to resist arrest.  and yet, somewhere in the little minds of GD, it's the officer's fault.  

GD never disappoints.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They couldn't have written him a citation for selling cigarettes and called it a day?  To me that's like arresting someone for not wearing a seat belt.

I agree that people who are really choking cannot say they are choking.  I actually thought he went down pretty easy.  He definitely could have been held down and cuffed without that many people crushing him.

Obviously flailing your arms around and resisting arrest aren't a good idea but the way police seem to handle arrests these days by having 4 or 5 people kneel on a person is ridiculous.

His family will get either a 7 figure judgement or 6 figure settlement to go away....  From a purely economic stand point not even thinking about whether this man was at fault or not the police made an absolutely fucking stupid move and the tax payers will suffer for it.
View Quote

He was fat so fuck him, he killed himself
Number 99 had nothing to do with it...
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, he should have been in better shape to withstand that. He probably would have fell over and died at the exact same time and day without his encounter with police.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going with poor health killed him.

Let's say he wanted to go somewhere, but the elevator was out of order and he had to climb the stairs to get where he was going.  Then he died halfway up the stairs.

Do you blame the broken elevator?  Sue the building?  The elevator company?  Or just blame him for being out of shape?  

It's the same difference, if your choice in being extremely unhealthy causes you to die from something that anyone else would live while doing, it's your fault.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's not what Texas statute says. There is a time to resist arrest by law enforcement and here, it's outlined in the law as when the arrest is unlawful or to resist an unlawful use of force. It's up to you to know when those situations are but the idea that you should NEVER resist arrest is a load of crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not what Texas statute says. There is a time to resist arrest by law enforcement and here, it's outlined in the law as when the arrest is unlawful or to resist an unlawful use of force. It's up to you to know when those situations are but the idea that you should NEVER resist arrest is a load of crap.

This was NY, not Texas.  So what I said was the absolute truth, NOT a load of crap.

Also, please show me accounts of people resisting arrest in Texas and getting away with it under the law you cited.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like the guy I gave PTSD to.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The superior officers that were on the scene that allowed this to happen just ended their career's!
Dumb bastards!

People are still "alive and moving" after their heads are cut off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb bastards!

They are alive without a head?

OK.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

With attitudes like your's, it's only a matter of time until we are all subjects....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are either outright lying or you just didn't watch the video.  The entire beginning where he was telling them to leave him alone was him resisting.  He resisted the entire time, way before the police were forced (by him not cooperating) to use force.  

And no, my "attitude" will not cause us to become "subjects".  I just find it to be a smarter choice to fight the police in court than on the sidewalk.  They will ALWAYS win on the sidewalk.  But I'm sure you are a typical toughguy that can take 8 cops, huh?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

death for selling untaxed cigs.

seams fair.

The cop will get a vacation, then a promotion.
View Quote
He died because he was an asshole looking for trouble, If he had complied he still would be alive

today. I'm the same age as the suspect with all my encounters with cops I have never been choked,

Shot, Tazed etc. know why? Because I'm not an malcontent trying to instigate drama.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 2 very serious health problems, one of which can be made worse by fighting and struggling.  

Do you know what that means?  I will not fight or struggle with the police.  I won't stand there not listening to their lawful order while yelling back at them.  I will allow them to cuff me as gently as possible while assure them that I will not resist.

If it's a bullshit charge, I will sort it out after.  Like I said earlier, you will NEVER win fighting cops on the street.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What in your world constitutes resisting?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you are scary.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
He died because he was an asshole looking for trouble, If he had complied he still would be alive   today. I'm the same age as the suspect with all my encounters with cops I have never been choked,
Shot, Tazed etc. know why? Because I'm not an malcontent trying to instigate drama.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

seams fair.

He died because he was an asshole looking for trouble, If he had complied he still would be alive   today. I'm the same age as the suspect with all my encounters with cops I have never been choked,

No, you just haven't run into the Right (or Wrong) Cop!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

seams fair.

Those two looked pretty calm and civil to me. Looks like they were trying to reason with him for some time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This was NY, not Texas.  So what I said was the absolute truth, NOT a load of crap.

Also, please show me accounts of people resisting arrest in Texas and getting away with it under the law you cited.  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even better, post the law. I know it and you've got it wrong.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

OK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb bastards!

OK.

From a cellular death perspective yes.  And the brain will maintain consciousness for a short time.  But realistically...no.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#34]
The fucker was trying to deprive THE STATE of its lawful income, he DESERVED to die.....(that was sarcasm by the way)

Seriously trying to take money out of the pocket of cocksucker Cuomo is punishable by death here in NYS....He needs that money to buy votes...
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

OK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb bastards!

OK.
Was the guy in the OPs video alive?  You said that he was, but you don't know for sure.  He was convulsing the same way as a headless body sometimes does.

My point is very clear, you saying that he was "alive and moving" is just an assumption, the fact that he was convulsing doesn't mean he was still alive.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#36]
It sounds like he was fed up with being harassed by the police, at the beginning of the video he states he is tired of it.
What would it take for you to reach your breaking point?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, you are scary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you are scary.

Scary enough for the guy to get $10k from the city I guess.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It sounds like he was fed up with being harassed by the police, at the beginning of the video he states he is tired of it.
View Quote

I'd stop breaking the law long before that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honest question, do you think he is completely innocent?   Or do you think his own actions have put him into situations in which force the police to make contact with him often (harassing, as you and he put it)?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stop doing things which draw the attention of the police?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

These things have an amazing tendency to not happen to people who don't resist arrest, and don't fight with the cops.
View Quote

End of thread.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know how many times I heard that from mutts in the ghetto? You harassin' me... why you harassin' me?

I never realized that all those POS skels were just good citizens who'd reached their breaking point.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he started to resist when they went to grab his arms to arrest him.  When someone pulls away saying "Don't touch me", that's when things take a turn.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You know how many times I heard that from mutts in the ghetto? You harassin' me... why you harassin' me?

I never realized that all those POS skels were just good citizens who'd reached their breaking point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the NYPD can start giving "breaking point" cards out to recidivists.

Kind of like the mythical "stress cards" of Army basic training.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So you have a copy of the coroners autopsy report? Please share it with the rest of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. He died because he was choked with 5 officers piled on top of him. That was the direct cause of his death. The suspect did evade being handcuffed which caused the inappropriate response from police. That inappropriate response from police is what caused the suspect's death. It has already been pointed out that a choke hold has been deemed inappropriate by the NYPD.

Link
Kelly Bans Choke Holds By Officers
By IAN FISHER
Published: November 24, 1993
EMAIL
PRINT
The New York City Police Department has issued an order banning the use of choke holds, <snip shit that does not matter>

So you have a copy of the coroners autopsy report? Please share it with the rest of us.

OK...you win. He was allergic to concrete. That's what killed him.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm glad the harmful untaxed cigarettes are off the street along with the untaxed cigarette pusher!!  

But did the cops make it home safely? That's what I want to know.  
View Quote

It amazes me how short sighted people are, the cigarettes may have been the initial violation which started the contact but his resisting is what ultimately led to his death.  Just like the illegal alien who was shot in Seattle a couple weeks ago for "failing to pay $3.00 train fare."  No, he was contacted for that, but shot when he pulled a gun on the cop.  99% of the time the police's actions are dictated by those of the suspect.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#47]
No taxation without representation....

Or not
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If all you can speak is words and phrases you are not breathing sufficently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"I can't breathe, I can't breathe, I can't breathe."

The most mportant function of life was deprived of him, that's what killed him.  The cops were probably unaware that he needed that to live.

In order to say "I can't breathe, I can't breathe, I can't breathe.",
you need to be breathing...
speaking is a clear indicator of breathing.

His unfortunate, accidental death was a direct result of his fighting with the LEOs.

If all you can speak is words and phrases you are not breathing sufficently.

I've seen guys in that condition after climbing a set of stairs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Just speculating here!
I'd like to see the file of the Cop who jumped on his back & choked him out, I'll bet he has misbehaved before!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are not any.  It's  a point the SC crowd always brings up but it's never been actually used in a defense.
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top