Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 31
Posted: 7/18/2014 5:39:36 AM EDT
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8ae_1405660548

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/07/17/nypd-kill-man-video-breaks-fight/http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/07/17/nypd-kill-man-video-breaks-fight/http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/07/17/nypd-kill-man-video-breaks-fight/
“I can’t breathe! I can’t breathe!” Eric Garner, 43, repeatedly screamed after at least five NYPD officers took him down in front of a Tompkinsville beauty supply store when he resisted being handcuffed.

Within moments Garner, a married father of six children with two grandchildren, ceased struggling and appeared to become unconscious as police called paramedics to the scene. An angry crowd gathered, some recording with smart phones.

“When I kissed my husband this morning, I never thought it would be for the last time,” Garner’s wife, Esaw Gardner, told the Daily News.

Police officials said Garner has a history of arrests for selling untaxed cigarettes. They did not immediately say why officers were at the scene when he drew their attention.

An NYPD spokesman would only say the man “was being placed in custody, went into cardiac arrest and died” at Richmond University Medical Center.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If he wouldn't have started resisting it wouldn't have went that far. I'm curious as to what the autopsy reviles. I'm guessing being grossly over weight is the issue.,

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#2]
He killed himself.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#3]
In.

But at least that's one less person selling smokes for less than $15/pack.  The nerve of people.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:59:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I've watched almost every episode of COPS so I've learned that if you can say "I can't breathe" you can breathe.

Also if you have any health problems don't resist and fight with the police.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Stories like this, and the kid who got shot with the game controller....

+ Replies like this ?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He killed himself.
View Quote

- Charges

=

Class dismissed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd be interested to know exactly what they were attempting to take him in to custody for.  The selling cigarettes sounds weird, but then again I don't live in NYC so that may be normal.

Either way, that was a big boy.  He had quite a bit of fight in him when it first started and he was acting belligerent before LE even attempted to go hands on.  He proceeded to put up a struggle even with 4 or 5 officers attempting to get him to the ground.

If you know you have health issues, don't fight the Police.  As a matter of fact, I think "don't fight the Police" is a pretty good strategy in any situation, healthy or not.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Yeah, as soon as they realized the bad PR wagon was on its way...

Back up! Back up! Back up!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Believe it or not his death is a direct result of his actions.

He may not have agreed with what the cops wanted to arrest him for but he would have gotten his day in court.

All he had to do was put his hands behind his back and get charged with whatever they had on him.

Failing his arms around and refusing to be put in cuffs was not the right life choice for him.

Obviously the cops don't carry Tasers or his butt would have gotten lit up.

Also I wouldn't have used the arm around the neck as a method to subdue him.

Wether the cop was choking him or not it looks really bad and will result in a substantial payout to his family.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd be interested to know exactly what they were attempting to take him in to custody for.  The selling cigarettes sounds weird, but then again I don't live in NYC so that may be normal.

Either way, that was a big boy.  He had quite a bit of fight in him when it first started and he was acting belligerent before LE even attempted to go hands on.  He proceeded to put up a struggle even with 4 or 5 officers attempting to get him to the ground.

If you know you have health issues, don't fight the Police.  As a matter of fact, I think "don't fight the Police" is a pretty good strategy in any situation, healthy or not.
View Quote

Yeah the minimum by law is like 10-something.

I get mine in Jersey when I got to EWR.

I don't know what the penalty is for selling out-of-state untaxed smokes, but it couldn't be too harsh.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#11]

So much for the old "there's never a cop around when you need one" thing, huh?

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, Extorris must be getting his 15 minutes of sleep to not be the OP.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#13]
For the life of me I can't understand why you would ever resist arrest.  No cop has EVER said "Well he doesn't want to be arrested so let's let him go".  

Resisting is ALWAYS going to make it worse on YOU.  You are going to get hurt and get more charges.

If cops want to arrest you, you WILL be arrested.  Your only option is to fight it in court or possibly at the police station afterwards while having a calm conversation.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For the life of me I can't understand why you would ever resist arrest.  No cop has EVER said "Well he doesn't want to be arrested so let's let him go".  

Resisting is ALWAYS going to make it worse on YOU.  You are going to get hurt and get more charges.

If cops want to arrest you, you WILL be arrested.  Your only option is to fight it in court or possibly at the police station afterwards while having a calm conversation.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I didn't see the slamming part.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess he learned a valuable lesson . It appears he was a slow learner since he has been arrested before
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 As a matter of fact, I think "don't fight the Police" is a pretty good strategy in any situation, healthy or not.
View Quote

Comply or die!
It's the mantra for transformed America.

Now pick up that can.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Comply or die!

Now pick up that can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 As a matter of fact, I think "don't fight the Police" is a pretty good strategy in any situation, healthy or not.

Comply or die!

Now pick up that can.

Transformed America?

No, it's always been like this.

The police have NEVER been the judge or jury, arguing and fighting with them to get out of an arrest has never been the right course of action.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#19]
"I can't breathe, I can't breathe, I can't breathe."

The most mportant function of life was deprived of him, that's what killed him.  The cops were probably unaware that he needed that to live.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bootlegged cigarettes is pretty big in NYC and even NY due to the extremely high taxes. A pack of cigarettes in NY go for ten bucks while in NYC they go for 15 bucks. There is a lot of money to be made buying them down south for 3-4 bucks a pack and then selling them for close to full price to bodegas who sell them at regular cost.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The most mportant function of life was deprived of him, that's what killed him.  The cops were probably unaware that he needed that to live.
View Quote
The inability to breath also prevents you from talking.

Obviously he could breath, maybe not to the level he was used to, but he could do it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#22]
selling untaxed cigarettes.... FFS I am glad those officers went home safe and the streets of New York are much safer.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Cop acted way outside of policy. Choke holds have been a no-no on the NYPD since the Anthony Baez case.

Quoted:
View Quote

You really think I'd be awake at 5:30am?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#24]
death for selling untaxed cigs.

seams fair.

The cop will get a vacation, then a promotion.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've watched almost every episode of COPS so I've learned that if you can say "I can't breathe" you can breathe.

View Quote

That still doesn not excue police. A jury of peers should always make the determination if it was warranted. At least a grand jury. Not another cop, not a DA. Peers should decide.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

death for resisting seems fair.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The cop will get a vacation, then a promotion.
View Quote

Really? The last cop from that department who did the same thing got 7 and 1/2 years in federal prison.
ETA: You can't be promoted from cop to Sgt. on NYPD without passing a civil service exam.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Hope all of those assholes feel better now.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So much for the old "there's never a cop around when you need one" thing, huh?

View Quote

We are all safer now that the untaxed cigarettes are off the street.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Murder
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Obviously he could breath, maybe not to the level he was used to, but he could do it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A choke hold can cut off breathing, or blood flow.

Either way, if you are choking someone, you are actively trying to kill them, resistance is natural.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That still doesn not excue police. A jury of peers should always make the determination if it was warranted. At least a grand jury. Not another cop, not a DA. Peers should decide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jury of peers should decide what?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Fairness doesn't have anything to do with it.

Depending on how far you go in resisting, the worst outcome for you could be death.

As already pointed out, the choke hold was a no-go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm going with poor health killed him.
View Quote

Probably from smoking his supply of untaxed cigarettes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm going with poor health killed him.
View Quote

Yeah, he should have been in better shape to withstand that. He probably would have fell over and died at the exact same time and day without his encounter with police.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cop acted way outside of policy. Choke holds have been a no-no on the NYPD since the Anthony Baez case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you might have still been up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Transformed America?

The police have NEVER been the judge or jury, arguing and fighting with them to get out of an arrest has never been the right course of action.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comply or die!

Now pick up that can.

Transformed America?

That's why we're all loyal subjects of the Queen, right?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are speaking, you are breathing. That is why if you see someone apparently choking you ask them questions, if they respond you do not perform the Heimlich maneuver on them. If they cannot respond, they are indeed choking & not breathing...and in need of assistance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#40]
At least they didn't chokehold and slam any bystanders.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Just another day in the big apple.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm glad the harmful untaxed cigarettes are off the street along with the untaxed cigarette pusher!!  

But did the cops make it home safely? That's what I want to know.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just another day in the big apple.
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm glad the harmful untaxed cigarettes are off the street along with the untaxed cigarette pusher!!  

But did the cops make it home safely? That's what I want to know.  
View Quote

According to the middle of the road and unbiased article that was linked in the OP, it seems they did.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#46]
My favorite part of the "article"

New York City police officers killed a man Thursday after he had broken up a fight between two other men, insisting on placing him in a chokehold and slamming his head to the pavement, piling on top of him as he gasped for air and as he continually told the cops he couldn’t breathe.

View Quote

"Sir, we must insist that we place you in a choke hold and slam your head on the pavement. Kindly cease your resisting so we can do this. Really, we insist."
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you are speaking, you are breathing. That is why if you see someone apparently choking you ask them questions, if they respond you do not perform the Heimlich maneuver on them. If they cannot respond, they are indeed choking & not breathing...and in need of assistance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he was saying "I can't breathe!" because he started having a heart attack, and "I can't breathe!" is a fairly decent description of what a heart attack can feel like?

Dude looks like he was overdue for a heart attack, but they should have been able to get him to an ER on time, if they weren't more concerned about untaxed cigarettes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#48]
damn
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#49]
These things have an amazing tendency to not happen to people who don't resist arrest, and don't fight with the cops.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#50]
They couldn't have written him a citation for selling cigarettes and called it a day?  To me that's like arresting someone for not wearing a seat belt.

I agree that people who are really choking cannot say they are choking.  I actually thought he went down pretty easy.  He definitely could have been held down and cuffed without that many people crushing him.

Obviously flailing your arms around and resisting arrest aren't a good idea but the way police seem to handle arrests these days by having 4 or 5 people kneel on a person is ridiculous.

His family will get either a 7 figure judgement or 6 figure settlement to go away....  From a purely economic stand point not even thinking about whether this man was at fault or not the police made an absolutely fucking stupid move and the tax payers will suffer for it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top