Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a screen shot of the coms with time stamps and as well as tracking with the same date just in case
View Quote

Already done.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't sell anything on Ebay. Ever. They don't care about you if you are a seller.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Typical scam, unfortunately. And oh yes - paypal and ebay will take the buyers side nearly every time.
View Quote

yup..

i stopped selling completely... i ONLY buy from now on.... selling on ebay will get you screwed over.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, you DO have his address... so...
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, you DO have his address... so...
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Is it still in transit? Change the destination for delivery to your home instead.  If it arrives, you have solid proof that this guy is a scammer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Typical scam, unfortunately. And oh yes - paypal and ebay will take the buyers side nearly every time.
View Quote

They hate sellers. There's not even a way for sellers to directly contact eBay. It's either "give the buyer what they want or we'll just take the money out of your account and do it ourselves".
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Had a similar problem wiht someone hitting the BIN for my Iphone 4S. I thought it was kind of strange because there were others that were lower priced. So I checked out the buyer and noticed that he purchased 100+ iphones in the same month. I also found that he lived in Ukraine and that there have been a ton of scams from there involving Iphones and claiming that they never arrived or was broken.
Even thought I stated that I would only ship CONUS he still purchased because the shipping address he sent me was a drop shipper in NJ. I started contacting some of the other sellers and found a few that were scammed by this guy. I immediately sent him a nice email and refunded his money. Never to be heard from again.

Lesson learned, know your buyers. Their feedback is just as important as a sellers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck OP try to intercept the package. I sold a knife and the buyer disputed the transaction 6 months later. Paypal took his side and somehow think I am going to pay $220 to make it right. They can suck a box of cocks but now I'm blacklisted and can no longer use paypal thanks to some meth head from Biloxi.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is it still in transit? Change the destination for delivery to your home instead.  If it arrives, you have solid proof that this guy is a scammer.
View Quote

Not really possible with USPS
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope things turn out ok for you OP, but as I'm sure you've noticed, Ebay doesn't care one bit about you.

I've had to deal with a number of scam buyers in the last couple years. I'm hoping to clear out some final stuff then basically be done with Ebay.

Not allowing sellers to leave anything but positive feedback was a horrendously stupid decision by Ebay.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
In on this one for sure. Sold plenty on ebay, had that happen once, without the negative feedback issue.
Resolved it, had insurance covering the package. I refunded him as soon as the insurance claim was accepted.

good luck op
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#13]
As a seller on ebay you just need to know the rules and regs and not be lazy. I have had a few people try to scam me and I haven't lost a case yet. If you have good feedback history as a seller and the buyer's story doesn't add up, you should and usually will win.

Selling on Amazon though, fuck them, they will take money from your account and refund a buyer with zero proof at all, and they don't even require the buyer to send the item back, Amazon is wonderful for scammers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Similar thing happened to us once. Except they Recieved a noted saying "sorry we destroyed your book- post office/ups/fedex (whoever)
They filed a claim, we lost and had to give them their money back and were out a college course book.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:22:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Report him to postal inspectors.... I hear they don't play fuck fuck games with mail fraud...
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:30:11 AM EDT
[#17]
wouldnt signature required cover "lost or damaged" items....

i mean what postal person is gonna deliver a opened box and make them sign?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:37:20 AM EDT
[#18]
several years ago I sold an Ipad 1st gen on ebay about a month before 2nd gen came out. Sold to a guy in California (I'm In NY)
I sent it insured but did not select signature required. Week or so later, guy claims he never got it. I check tracking and it shows it was
delivered. I go round and round with the guy and finally refund his money.,

About a week later one of the guys I work with who happens to have worked for the post Office before starting here tells me...
"if you insured it, they have to get a signature..." Off to the post office I go and they say yep! print me out a copy of the name
and signature

I went and did a search on that area of California and that name (was an unusual name) Turns out the guy is a waiter/maître de at
a local restaurant. Being the vengeful person I am... I go on the Craigslist site for that area and post an ad saying "be careful of stolen
merchandise...if this person tries to or has sold you an Ipad..its stolen..please call police" and put his name in as.

I then emailed the guy I sold it to and give him the name and tell him I am turning it over to police in his area.

Literally an hour or so later the guy emails me back so... Hey..guess what..I found the Ipad by my door mixed in with some other packages.
please take down the craigslist ad...I will give you your money back!

Turns out the guy who signed for it was his roommate.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:53:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I did receive an empty package one time though. I bought an in-dash navigation unit.

I knew when I picked it up it seemed a little light for what it should have been. Got it home and sure enough the navigation unit had been removed from the box and the box put back in and it was resealed.

I'm sure the seller thought I was scamming, but how can they prove it? Fedex came and picked up the package then about a month later I got my refund. I told the seller I think someone from Fedex ripped us off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:27:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much

I tried once , mixed up 2 similar items and sent one out to the wrong person

you have to physically go down to the post office  , fill out a form describing the package ( um it was USPS supplied box so it looks like every other one their warehouse )

They had to FAX the form to their warehouses and hubs were the package MIGHT be  so someone could go physically look for it

Cost $10 and the lady told me up front there was about a 80% that they would not find it

It got delivered to the original address , buyer liked the item and was nice enough just to buy that one from me too

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#21]
You never win on ebay. I was told that by a higher up manager on ebay. He told me as soon as a buyer files a claim, they automatically pretty much win the claim. Even if you put no returns, as is, etc in the item listing.

I sold a ps3 game the other day. The guy left a negative feedback. I contacted him and told him if there was a problem send the game back. He never replied, so I sent a revised feedback offer. He quickly replied telling me to leave him along, hes not happy with his purchase but wont bother returning it and im a child.

Ebay sucks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Something like that happened to me with a deal that I made with a arfcom member on facebook Last time I ever ship a rifle.
View Quote

I only do FTF on guns, as my first try at shipping was with a shady dude who kept fucking around.
It got sorted out, but it was more trouble than it was worth.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#23]
....you can't leave negative feedback on ebay anymore....

How can he leave negative feedback if you can't leave negative feedback?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Have had that happen before over the years , both personally and work related items

but him going negative FB right out of the gate and no pics  makes me think something is up

Most buyers are pretty reasonable when something like that happens , and are more than happy to supply pics and be civil

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aha, that makes life easier. Thanks!

It was insured for $50, but he won't even send a photo of the package or anything. I also need to clarify my OP, he claims "The ends of the package was open and empty."
Have had that happen before over the years , both personally and work related items

but him going negative FB right out of the gate and no pics  makes me think something is up

Most buyers are pretty reasonable when something like that happens , and are more than happy to supply pics and be civil

How's he supposed to supply pictures when the package hasn't been delivered?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
....you can't leave negative feedback on ebay anymore....

How can he leave negative feedback if you can't leave negative feedback?
View Quote

Because in Ebay's opinion the buyer is ALWAYS right.  They seem oblivious to the fact that without people willing to SELL on ebay their company wouldn't exist.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Update in OP.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Update in OP.
View Quote

Sorry you got boned man - but I knew it was coming.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

yup..

i stopped selling completely... i ONLY buy from now on.... selling on ebay will get you screwed over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup..

This.

After they get @30% of your money after listing fees and paypal fees, and hoping you dont get scammed selling is not worth the hassle.

Ebay is a one sided auction site now, only the buyer is protected for the most part
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So trying to be the nice guy, I cave and offered a full refund. Because he filed two paypal claims, it drained what little I had in my account and pulled the rest from my bank account, making it go negative. I told him I could refund him next week. I have sent him three messages and he won't respond.

View Quote

Giving PayPal your bank account info makes for very bad juju. They try to pressure you into giving them that information, but doing so is a big mistake.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Not even soda bottles filled with gravel and sand?
View Quote

Whatever happened with that?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

ETA3: 7-25

Well now. Ebay won't respond to my emails and the guy has filed claims against me. He insists that I must have ripped him off in some way and that he is telling the absolute truth. Except now he's claiming that he did NOT receive the package, his local post office received it, noted that it was empty, called him (???) and he told them to return it to sender. Yeah.

So trying to be the nice guy, I cave and offered a full refund. Because he filed two paypal claims, it drained what little I had in my account and pulled the rest from my bank account, making it go negative. I told him I could refund him next week. I have sent him three messages and he won't respond.

I just want this to end. I sell stuff on ebay for "fun" money.  
View Quote

Congrats, the scammer won and you're going quietly.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yeah, keep the horror stories coming. I'm just about ready to quit ebay as it is.

My feedback dropped to 99.1% positive after this, his is 100% because sellers can ONLY leave positive feedback under ebay's new policy.
View Quote

Wtf
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As a seller on ebay you just need to know the rules and regs and not be lazy. I have had a few people try to scam me and I haven't lost a case yet. If you have good feedback history as a seller and the buyer's story doesn't add up, you should and usually will win.

Selling on Amazon though, fuck them, they will take money from your account and refund a buyer with zero proof at all, and they don't even require the buyer to send the item back, Amazon is wonderful for scammers.
View Quote

So that's why they told me to keep the books they sent. Ordered a hardcover book, they sent a soft cover. They told me to keep it and they'd send the hardcover out. A hardcover book arrived, but a different title completely. They said to keep that one too and they'd send the right one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#34]
What precisely were these mysterious items?  How much money is involved?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#35]
lol, BadShovelHead got you OP.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Selling on Ebay- Fail
Accepting PayPal-  Fail
Not insuring the box to the contents value-  Fail
Being a teener-  Fail

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#37]
A couple of years ago. I had won a front bumper for my snow machine on Ebay. The seller said he sent the bumper but he had lost the USPS receipt so he could not give me the shipping info.

Last fall. Two more package from Ebay were lost. This time I had a tracking numbers to find out what had happened. I went back and forth with USPS. They said they delivered. My mailman said he didnt deliver the packages to my house. A deeper investigation showed that it was placed on the wrong truck and delivered to a house on a different street and town. That driver lied about the mistake after having the home owner gave him packages. He then dropped them off saying they were found.. I called the post office investigator to tell him what had just happened. That is when the found out about how the packages were lost. The driver did not report the packages being found. Needless to say he got in trouble.

Makes me wonder what really happened to my front bumper by USPS. My Yamaha Phazer is an antique and those bumpers are hard to find.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Well now. Ebay won't respond to my emails and the guy has filed claims against me. He insists that I must have ripped him off in some way and that he is telling the absolute truth. Except now he's claiming that he did NOT receive the package, his local post office received it, noted that it was empty, called him (???) and he told them to return it to sender. Yeah.
View Quote

That EXACT thing happened to me in the EE about a year ago. Sold a guy something. Guy says it never arrived. Gives me shit. Package showed lost, then found, then delivered. Then magically it showed itself back in the mail system. Then returned to sender.

An obviously tampered box showed up in my mail. As it was a low value item, I refunded him, filed a USPS insurance claim, and eventually got the money back.

It was weird. Think maybe someone has a helpful buddy at the USPS?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Don't give the fucker anything.   Fight it to the max.  Hope you have copies of all pertinent communications/shipping receipts.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

And I don't believe it. I sold two expensive ratchets to a guy on ebay, he claims the package arrived empty. I wrapped them in a tyvek envelope, put them in a Priority Mail small flat rate box, and taped it all up.

Then he left me negative feedback when I didn't refund him immediately.

I strongly suspect he was trying to get free tools. I don't have much faith in humanity.

ETA: He claims  "The ends of the package was open and empty."

ETA2: Just thought to track the package. IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN DELIVERED YET!

ETA3: 7-25

I just want this to end. I sell stuff on ebay for "fun" money.  
View Quote

Never ever, ever give Paypal access to your primary account. I use a "firewall" account with Paypal that never has a balance.

You might be able to get your bank to reverse what they took out if you tell them it was unauthorized. Even if it works Paypal will ban you forever after that.

I wouldn't give up the fight just yet. The guy claiming he got the package before tracking showed it had arrived is pretty good evidence in your favor. Every time I've had USPS find a damaged package I've sent they've contacted me about it, not the person I was sending it to.

Fuck Paypal and fuck Ebay. I gave up selling there eons ago for this very reason.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:55:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Never ever, ever give Paypal access to your primary account. I use a "firewall" account with Paypal that never has a balance.

View Quote

I use a dead bank account for PP, hell the bank went under years ago.  I always withdraw funds by getting them to send me a paper check ($1.50 fee) and never keep more than $200.00 in the account. I figure it will get me through a major scam. No way I'm going to let PP have access to a active account or CC.

As long as you don't transfer funds into a bank account they don't know if the account is active or not after the initial account opening confirmation.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Similar scam happened to me a few years back with an iphone...Have not used Ebay since than..
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yeah, keep the horror stories coming. I'm just about ready to quit ebay as it is.

My feedback dropped to 99.1% positive after this, his is 100% because sellers can ONLY leave positive feedback under ebay's new policy.
View Quote

EGAY rules of engagemnet. Must be Democrats. They're only sinking their own ship
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:21:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I think you caved.  If you can show it hadn't been delivered at the time of the complaint AND it's weight was considerably higher at the post office when it left your possession, you would have won.  Sure, it would have taken you 12 emails to paypal and eBay.  I'm sure your time is important enough to eat two high dollar ratchets.....

Thank you for the post so I now know I need to take a pic of the post office scale (With 1 lb, 15 oz on the screen) when I ship.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:25:32 AM EDT
[#46]
PayPal was fair to me. Scammers are out there. They know just how to play the game. A few years ago I sold a "complete Thompson smg lower receiver". I accepted PayPal as payment. A month later the buyer asks PayPal for a refund and opens a case. I was accused by the seller of selling counterfeit gun parts. I really thought I was going lose my case because of the paypal rules on gun parts. I responded to paypal that the thompson lower was not counterfeit and the tracking number showed it was delivered.
To my surprise, PayPal rejected the sellers refund request and closed the case.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:35:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I did that to a guy by accident....sold a very expensive over/under in a beautiful aluminum case. Took great pictures of both, and then put the shotgun back in my vault. Sold it, grabbed the case, and shipped it UPS. 2 days later I get a call, he says the case is empty

Sure as fuck, I look in the vault, I forgot to put the gun in the case. I was super apologetic, and he was very understanding.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:49:24 AM EDT
[#48]
I had similar thing happen with a laptop I sold years ago.  Thank god it was insured.  Now I only send stuff insured and with tracking number so I know what the status is and am covered in case of issues.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:56:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

And I don't believe it. I sold two expensive ratchets to a guy on ebay, he claims the package arrived empty. I wrapped them in a tyvek envelope, put them in a Priority Mail small flat rate box, and taped it all up.

Then he left me negative feedback when I didn't refund him immediately.

I strongly suspect he was trying to get free tools. I don't have much faith in humanity.

ETA: He claims  "The ends of the package was open and empty."

ETA2: Just thought to track the package. IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN DELIVERED YET!

View Quote

I never had the same issue but a way to prevent claiming of an empty package is to drop off the package at the USPS yourself and ask for an "Acceptance Scan" it'll print out the tracking number, date, and the weight of the package

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:06:01 AM EDT
[#50]
This is why you INSURE IT.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top