Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2014 1:23:53 PM EDT
Who knows of any of the wierd stuff they wasted millions of bucks on during WWII?
Jumbo was one. It was the steel casing they designed to be put around the first A bomb at Trinity.

Another was a wierd set of contraptions described by Ens.George Gay; they were a bunch of motorized vehicles: 15 foot long battleships, smaller destroyers and cruisers, etc. The "pilot" sat atop a motorized kiddie car and "fired" a motorized torpedo. The idea was to show pilots the relative speeds and vectors to accurately fire a torpedo.
It never went into production, yet cost millions of dollars.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about millions of bucks, but Pykrete always comes to mind.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for linking to who he has, as he has an interesting story.  

Of the 30 VT-8 aircrew from Hornet that participated in the pivotal Battle of Midway, Ensign Gay was the sole survivor.
View Quote

Since he's an Aggie I've heard his story before but I'm sure there are people who haven't.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Liberator pistol. So bad 99% are at the bottom of the ocean.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't get cool innovative new technology and equipment without being willing to take risks on investing in ideas. They're called risks because they don't all work out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Who knows of any of the wierd stuff they wasted millions of bucks on during WWII?
Jumbo was one. It was the steel casing they designed to be put around the first A bomb at Trinity.

Another was a wierd set of contraptions described by Ens.George Gay; they were a bunch of motorized vehicles: 15 foot long battleships, smaller destroyers and cruisers, etc. The "pilot" sat atop a motorized kiddie car and "fired" a motorized torpedo. The idea was to show pilots the relative speeds and vectors to accurately fire a torpedo.
View Quote

Millions for a steel casing they designed for a single a bomb? I dunno that doesn't sound right. Sounds like the taxpayer got ripped off.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

i've been to Patricia lake.  Some of the equipment is still there along with a historical marker.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
the great panjandrum was an interesting idea that failed in practice.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjandrum
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Bat bombs.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Since he's an Aggie I've heard his story before but I'm sure there are people who haven't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Of the 30 VT-8 aircrew from Hornet that participated in the pivotal Battle of Midway, Ensign Gay was the sole survivor.

Hell yeah! He had a ringside seat to the battle that turned the Pacific war in favor of the Allied forces.
I have an autographed copy of his book, "Sole Survivor."
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Good one.

Also, Bat Bombs.

A bat carrier similar to a bomb casing was designed that included 26
stacked trays, each containing compartments for 40 bats. The carriers
would be dropped from 5,000 feet (1,525 m). Then the trays would
separate but remain connected to a parachute
that would deploy at 1,000 feet (305 m). It was envisioned that ten
B-24 bombers flying from Alaska, each carrying a hundred shells packed
with bomb-carrying bats could release 1,040,000 bat bombs over the
target—the industrial cities of Osaka Bay. A series of tests to answer
various operational questions were conducted. In one incident the
Carlsbad Army Airfield Auxiliary Air Base 32°15'39?N 104°13'45?W near Carlsbad, New Mexico, was set on fire on May 15, 1943, when armed bats were accidentally released.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb#cite_note-5][5][/url] The bats incinerated the test range and roosted under a fuel tank.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Pigeon bombs too.

B.F. Skinner trained pigeons to guide bombs to their targets.

An army general dismissed the idea, saying it was 'cruel'.

Skinner pointed out the dropping bombs on people could also be considered 'cruel'.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll list a few from memory -

YB-40

XB-35 / YB-49

X-55 Ascender

The Flying Pancake

Reising SMG

Probably others if I thought for a minute...
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good one.

Also, Bat Bombs.

A bat carrier similar to a bomb casing was designed that included 26 stacked trays, each containing compartments for 40 bats. The carriers would be dropped from 5,000 feet (1,525 m). Then the trays would separate but remain connected to a parachute that would deploy at 1,000 feet (305 m). It was envisioned that ten B-24 bombers flying from Alaska, each carrying a hundred shells packed with bomb-carrying bats could release 1,040,000 bat bombs over the target—the industrial cities of Osaka Bay. A series of tests to answer various operational questions were conducted. In one incident the Carlsbad Army Airfield Auxiliary Air Base 32°15'39?N 104°13'45?W near Carlsbad, New Mexico, was set on fire on May 15, 1943, when armed bats were accidentally released.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb#cite_note-5][5][/url] The bats incinerated the test range and roosted under a fuel tank.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good one.

Also, Bat Bombs.

A bat carrier similar to a bomb casing was designed that included 26 stacked trays, each containing compartments for 40 bats. The carriers would be dropped from 5,000 feet (1,525 m). Then the trays would separate but remain connected to a parachute that would deploy at 1,000 feet (305 m). It was envisioned that ten B-24 bombers flying from Alaska, each carrying a hundred shells packed with bomb-carrying bats could release 1,040,000 bat bombs over the target—the industrial cities of Osaka Bay. A series of tests to answer various operational questions were conducted. In one incident the Carlsbad Army Airfield Auxiliary Air Base 32°15'39?N 104°13'45?W near Carlsbad, New Mexico, was set on fire on May 15, 1943, when armed bats were accidentally released.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb#cite_note-5][5][/url] The bats incinerated the test range and roosted under a fuel tank.

I'd say burning down your own base is proof of a successful test.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good one.

Also, Bat Bombs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good one.

Also, Bat Bombs.

Jack Lewis' article on that whole fiasco was hilarious.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He wrote a very good book, "Sole Survivor," which details his experiences in the Pacific. His service continued through the end of the war.

If you've ever heard the rumor of the "Naked Showering Nurse," it's detailed in his book-- first hand!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#16]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_Force_Baum

Comes to mind for me at least.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#17]
The O.S.S. experimented with foxes to frighten the Japanese. Apparently, in Japanese folk lore, glowing foxes are a sign of impending doom. The OSS used glowing fox shaped balloons in tests, and also painted foxes with phosphorescent paint. They went so far as to begin capturing foxes all over Asia in preparation for the invasion of Japan.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#18]
George Gay was the lone survivor of the part of Torpedo 8 assigned to the Hornet. He was not the lone survivor of the squadron, as others flew TBF's off Midway Island during the battle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bat bombs.
View Quote

That was the first thing that came to mind.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:38:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
George Gay was the lone survivor of the part of Torpedo 8 assigned to the Hornet. He was not the lone survivor of the squadron, as others flew TBF's off Midway Island during the battle.
View Quote

The TBFs faired little better as 6 planes and 18 men took off. 1 plane returned with only 2 survivors.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:39:34 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2172/12873626/23695778/396202737.jpg

I believe that's a Goliath captured on the Normandy coast.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The TBFs faired little better as 6 planes and 18 men took off. 1 plane returned with only 2 survivors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fighter cover will do that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:48:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not in those days it didn't come close to costing that much.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#26]
My Dad tried to enlist but he was in Army ROTC with a technical major.  Early 1943 they drafted him and about 50 others from various schools and after boot camp and basic infantry they sent them to a school at Washington & Lee University to become Dentists, about 5 months later the Army determined they had enough Dentists, and sent them all to University of Idaho at Moscow, to become Veterinarians, or stleast enough to be able to examine "road kill" and determine if it was safe to use as food., they were there for about 6 months before they decided that wasn't going to be needed.  In December 1944 they were sent together to OCS at Carlisle Barracks.  They got off the train and loaded 3 buses.  My Dad was on the first bus, it left and went to Carlisle Barracks.  The second and third bus were caught by a message and they got sent to the docks in New Jersey and loaded on ships as replacement riflemen for the Battle of the Bulge.

He crossed the Mississippi River 7 times during the war.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top