Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/16/2014 4:19:31 PM EDT
Small (2.6mm), but unpleasant in it's current location.

Doc says drink lots to flush it out, like 3-4 quarts a day.

I read somewhere that cranberry juice helps break them down so I'm drinking a water/cranberry mix.

I couldn't find any "real" info though (information overload) and gave up.

Anyone who does this for stones:

-How fast does it work?
-Is there something that works better/faster?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
been there before man, it sucks, mine was a 4mm stone. drink asstons of water and add in a couple beers. they wont break it down, but they will actually make you piss out all that water.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Olive oil and lemon juice mixture. I get em frequently. It seems to help alittle. Stay active and drink a shit ton of water
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
O btw my last one was 6mm and passed it like a champ.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The stay active thing kind of isn't working out today. I feel like one of those old BB puzzle things. Stabbing pain in the groin, cramping tightness in the back, rinse repeat. If I sit still it doesn't fuck me up too much.

Is the olive oil thing a preventative or something you use after an attack has started?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sitting here clutching the armchair Cuz mine is moving at the moment. fucking sucks. I have tried a lot of internet remedy stuff over the past couple years, none has really worked.  I do the cranberry thing also with a ton of water. The water helps, cranberry probably doesn't but it makes me feel like I'm trying something. Stupid I know. Good luck OP, hope it passes soon, 3-10 days has been my experience.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Olive oil and lemon juice mixture. I get em frequently. It seems to help alittle. Stay active and drink a shit ton of water
View Quote

The stay active part helps for me also.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The stay active thing kind of isn't working out today. I feel like one of those old BB puzzle things. Stabbing pain in the groin, cramping tightness in the back, rinse repeat. If I sit still it doesn't fuck me up too much.

Is the olive oil thing a preventative or something you use after an attack has started?
View Quote

Drink it now.  It may just be coincedance but it seems to pass shortly after i drink this mixture
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
had one surgically removed - laser via my wee-wee. I would not wish that upon anyone.

Cranberry Juice helps out a lot. Do a Google search on Calcium oxalate, which is the most common type of kidney stones.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine was 11mm. Lithotripsey.

Fuck kidney stones. Hate them almost as much as Obama.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Why not beer?
Contains lots of water, makes you piss and kills the pain somewhat.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine was 5mm ........ Pain like no other !!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know how big mine was, but it kicked my ass for 3-4 days and I was on 7.5 hydrocodone 6x a day and they still killed me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Add lots of lemons to your water....I've had several and even had to do lithotripsy.  Worst experience of my life....stents fucking suck.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why not beer?
Contains lots of water, makes you piss and kills the pain somewhat.
View Quote

i was told by the doctor to drink an ass ton of water and a few beers, because the beer will make you actually pee most of that water out
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Add lots of lemons to your water....I've had several and even had to do lithotripsy.  Worst experience of my life....stents fucking suck.

View Quote

This. My urologist says to drink lots of lemonade made with real lemon juice. He told me that it helps to round the edges of the stones so they pass easier. I've had over 50. I feel your pain
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a handful in each kidney

All passable in my case, and it seems the frequency over the years has gone down if I keep hydrated.

Key point:

On passing one, drink as much fluids as possible, specifically water as it clears your internals better than anything else you can drink.

The longer the duration/intensity of flow the better too, meaning hold as long as bearable then let'er rip.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Had a pain in my side/back area and was pissing blood (when i could piss) so i went to the Dr. They asked all of sexual partner questions and then for a urine sample.

I started straining to piss in the cup and this came out. When it did the flood gates opened up and i overran the cup and almost collapsed with relief. I hope its brother isnt in my right kidney awaiting its exit.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I passed one in Afghanistan. There was no relief for me. Try carrying 70lbs+ of gear, and still doing patrols. I couldn't take a break. I was the squad leader and primary medic on a 13 man COP. I did give myself injections of toradol since I needed to man up. Toradol, by the way is the preferred pain medication for kidney stones. That and an ass-ton of water.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Had a pain in my side/back area and was pissing blood (when i could piss) so i went to the Dr. They asked all of sexual partner questions and then for a urine sample.

I started straining to piss in the cup and this came out. When it did the flood gates opened up and i overran the cup and almost collapsed with relief. I hope its brother isnt in my right kidney awaiting its exit.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z25/tzapp/101_1928.jpg
View Quote

DAYUM!  that's one big mofo...
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They sent it out for testing and the results indicated i was drinking too many diet sodas  

I cut that shit way back after that. Nothing is a better motivator than some kidney stones pain
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I just remember being in the ER waiting room, in the worst pain of my life, waiting behind dozens of people wanting flu shots and other miscellaneous shit. Didn't get seen for about 2 hours.

Never again.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#22]
They suck that's all I know.

I know for certain I passed one as I went to the doctor for it multiple times. I'm pretty sure I had one before it though as I had the same exact pain but worse a year or so prior to the one I went to the doctor for but that bitch had me fall to the ground and curl in a ball on the floor in the bathroom when I went to take a piss then felt fine a hour latter vs the one I went to the doc for hurt for a week and a half.

Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This. My urologist says to drink lots of lemonade made with real lemon juice. He told me that it helps to round the edges of the stones so they pass easier. I've had over 50. I feel your pain
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dam!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I passed one in Afghanistan. There was no relief for me. Try carrying 70lbs+ of gear, and still doing patrols. I couldn't take a break. I was the squad leader and primary medic on a 13 man COP. I did give myself injections of toradol since I needed to man up. Toradol, by the way is the preferred pain medication for kidney stones. That and an ass-ton of water.
View Quote

That would be a whole lot of SUCK ...

I freaking hate kidney stones. Lots of water, a few beers... up the volume of fluids, and float the spikey bastard out of there.

As someone else said: hold back until you think you are going to piss yourself, then let 'er rip.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over  50?  Dude, you should be drinking water all the time (along with lemonade) even if you don't have any stones.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know what you mean;
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just remember being in the ER waiting room, in the worst pain of my life, waiting behind dozens of people wanting flu shots and other miscellaneous shit. Didn't get seen for about 2 hours.

Never again.
View Quote

My experience was similar. It was a saturday called up squad leader and said, "Have you seen alien? Feels like one of those is trying to eat its way out. Can I just drive to Bethesda and check myself in?" . So then drove to Bethesda they wait for dam forever then take me to the back tell me I have a kidney stone give me morphine and just have me chill on a bed till it wore off then told me to go home...  

A few hours latter it starts hurting again so I just suck it up and truck on for a few days. Then I can't eat anymore since kidney stone plus the constipation effect of the morphine means I couldn't shit to save my life, and was bloated as fuck and still in pain from the stone stuck in the little tube connecting your kidney to your bladder. So trucked on not eating for a day or two then went to sickcall at the pentagon they sent to Walter Reed after xrays, and I chilled there for a few days having all sorts of unpleasant things done to me to try and clear up the constipation. When it finally made it's way to my bladder I was fine. Fuck kidney stones!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Cranberry juice isn't going to help anything. Neither is olive oil and lemon.

Drink lots of water and take Flomax. If they haven't prescribed it for you, ask them to.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Had a parathyroid issue that caused me to have stones about every other month. No amount of drinking anything will break them down. I've had lithotripsy, going upstream to get them out and passing the damn things. When you get it out, drink continually.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

They gave me a shot of that and it didn't work for shit, the ONLY refielf I got was with the hydrocodone and all that let me do was sleep.  I just tried to sleep my way through with ambien and opiates.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I freaking hate kidney stones. Lots of water, a few beers... up the volume of fluids, and float the spikey bastard out of there.

As someone else said: hold back until you think you are going to piss yourself, then let 'er rip.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Five fucking days!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been holding off until I can't any longer, but sometimes it apparently seems more urgent than it actually is.

i dunno, maybe I'm just being a giant puss
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've been holding off until I can't any longer, but sometimes it apparently seems more urgent than it actually is.

i dunno, maybe I'm just being a giant puss
View Quote

Nope, those little bastards suck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Five fucking days!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Five fucking days!

This is why I'll never be unarmed. I want to be able to end it all if it becomes unbearable...

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#36]
For right now I'm sticking to cranberry juice and water. I did have one of those red beer (chilada?) things earlier because it's hot and I wanna get rid of this thing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#37]
It's been said there is no physical pain that a human can endure that compares to kidney stones (well Renal Colic which is caused by them anyway)

I dunno women say its worse than natural child birth , people say worse than broken bones

I had 4 wisdom teeth that grew sideways and got infected

Been shot

the stone was worst for me
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Forget the cranberry juice crap.

Drink water.  No, more.  No, more.  No, more.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Are you at the afraid you're going to die phase or the afraid you won't phase?

You're fucked, though.  No magic cure in my experience.

Water and opiates.  And don't stop the water once it passes.  Never let yourself get even remotely dehydrated.  I've had way fewer since I upped my water intake.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Small (2.6mm), but unpleasant in it's current location.

Doc says drink lots to flush it out, like 3-4 quarts a day.

I read somewhere that cranberry juice helps break them down so I'm drinking a water/cranberry mix.

I couldn't find any "real" info though (information overload) and gave up.

Anyone who does this for stones:

-How fast does it work?
-Is there something that works better/faster?
View Quote

It just takes time.  You have my sympathy.

Yea, forget the cranberry juice crap.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Are you at the afraid you're going to die phase or the afraid you won't phase?

You're fucked, though.  No magic cure in my experience.

Water and opiates.  And don't stop the water once it passes.  Never let yourself get even remotely dehydrated.  I've had way fewer since I upped my water intake.
View Quote

At this point I just feel like crap with intermittent pain things. The frequency varies.

The only time I will ever consider opiates is after surgery these days. They got bad juju on them for me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean injectable Vitamin M?

Toradol is worthless.  I'd rather have nothing than waste the supplies and deal with the pinch of having it injected.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#44]
So what are the main causes for getting stones?

I would like to not get any if at all possible.Do some people just not get them or is it your diet?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#45]
It passed late last week. t least I'm pretty sure it did. I have the occasional twinge that forces me to cast a doubt now and then but goddamn I'm feeling ever so much better
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#46]
As far as I know, there are two kinds:  uric and calcium stones.  I am "lucky" because I have developed uric acid stones in the past, and they tend to dissolve better and are more preventable than calcium stones.  Uric acid stones come from too much protein in your diet, too much alcohol, too much seafood, too much organ meats and so on. Think gout.   After my 4th uric acid stone, I wised up and listened to the doc when he told me to take allopurinol every day for the rest of my life, lay off the sea food in large amounts, and be fruitful and multiply.  Haven't had a stone since 1996. Having one in the barracks in Germany was a real drag, and of course that was when painkillers and Army medical were mutually exclusive of one another.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I just started the cramping and pain the other day, letting me know that one is on the way out.
Here we go again.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:21:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Heard they are painful as hell, I have a cousin who has had two heart attacks and said stones were worse.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Ouch.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top