Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/13/2014 5:54:48 PM EDT
I have no idea what it is, but I have been heraing noises in the early AM in the roof/attic area, and while I was prepping the grill for our party today, I heard noises from above and saw the opening pictured below.  have no idea what kind of tree dwelling critter would/could pry open my roof but apparently has set up shop in my attic up there.

So what the hell do I do?

FYI, I don't own a .22 of any sort...smallest caliber is 9mm.  I do have a suppressor in .45 and below so as not to get the coppers called on me if need be.

Picture and poll.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Burn it out.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
M2HB.

No fucking around.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Could it just be a birds nest under the siding that's not actually in the attic?  I can't see any animal living full time in an attic this time of year.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
have you looked in the attic? Look for a nest or droppings. Probably a squirrel or raccoon. Put a live trap in attic or on the roof if it's easy to access and put peanut butter in for bait. Will catch either or

Not seeing any tree's or such around for an animal to climb up there. High probability of it being a bird. get a ladder remove nest and fix the damage.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing it's a bird of some sort.  Best weapon would be a pneumatic weapon; gunpowder might be overkill, and roofs are THIN (think about overpenetration.)   Don't know how much a trapper guy would cost; $50.00 minimum is my guess.  The hard part will be going up to fix the soffit (?) panel so birdy #2 doesn't get up there.  Is that a 1 or 2 story house?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Seriously tho, what the hell does that?  Do I have a fucking chupacabra in my attic?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
have you looked in the attic? Look for a nest or droppings. Probably a squirrel or raccoon. Put a live trap in attic or on the roof if it's easy to access and put peanut butter in for bait. Will catch either or
View Quote

Fuck no I haven't looked in the attic yet.  Not until I get a full set of chainmail and go up there armed.

Doubt it is a bird, something pried that open like a sardine can.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Has the fire started yet???

Burn down the rest of the neighborhood just to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Kill it with fire!!! After making sure your homeowners insurance is paid up of course!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is that a 1 or 2 story house?
View Quote

Repairing it is gonna be a bitch.  2 story house, but with basement and the basement is at ground level in the back so essentially 3 stories.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Raccoon...nasty critters if you get them in your attic. Can do tons of damage, quickly.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy a trap and bait it with peanut butter.... Or shoot a hole in your roof.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Any trees with limbs to access the roof?  We had a raccoon make the same kind of opening and take up residence in our attic.  Had a company come out and set traps to get it out.  Apparently camping out in your front yard with a 22 in the suburbs is frowned upon.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah....Squirrels. Also....toss some moth balls...(Shutup ,the chemical kind)  up there....it repels many types of animals!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any trees with limbs to access the roof?  We had a raccoon make the same kind of opening and take up residence in our attic.  Had a company come out and set traps to get it out.  Apparently camping out in your front yard with a 22 in the suburbs is frowned upon.
View Quote

Yep, trees with branches inches from the roof.  This is what I figure it is...a racoon.  Squirrel is too small to pry my roof open like that.  I am thinking trying to find some dude to come out with traps is sounding like a plan.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#17]
MYOB
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#18]
You have a good excuse to buy a .22 pistol. They're fun.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Get some fox urine and throw some cotton balls saturated with it in the attic. Wait two days and see if you hear anymore noises. If that does not solve the problem put in a haveaheart traps baited with wet pet food or peanut butter. Check the trap every four hours during the day.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Get some fox urine and throw some cotton balls saturated with it in the attic. Wait two days and see if you hear anymore noises. If that does not solve the problem put in a haveaheart traps baited with wet pet food or peanut butter. Check the trap every four hours during the day.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Choot it.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#22]
That's a squirrel and at least you have an obvious entry point.  They will come out late morning (10:00-ish) to feed.  Best thing to do is seal it while they are out.  Now that they've been inside, they'll try really hard to get back in.  Take this seriously and stop it as soon as possible. They will destroy your house.

I wrote a check for $3000 to cover the damage they did to my attic, eaves, and soffet.  I bought a 1200 fps pellet gun with scope and kill  them all on sight... guilty or not.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#23]
a coon will do that

you do not want a coon to bleed out in your attic
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I had flying squirrels get in my attic through a loose soffit.
Rat traps & a havahart trap took care of them. The havahart trap then required the use of a contractor's bag + tail pipe.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#26]
racoons are fucking devils

If they were 175lbs, they would take over the fucking world

Run to tractor supply or rural king and buy some havaheart traps

Bait them with a can of cat food, don't open it, poke some holes in the top, wire it into the back of the trap ....make it so they have to wrestle for it and trip the trap.

I had better luck with traps on the ground than in the attic

get that hole repaired asap

do you have a dog ?

2 for 1 deal, raccoon and squirrel trap...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/catch-and-release-live-animal-trap-pack-of-2?cm_mmc=feed-_-Sporting%20Goods_Outdoor%20Recreation_Hunting_Animal%20Traps-_--_-5132129&gdftrk=gdfV27960_a_7c2509_a_7c10868_a_7c5132129

check with your state DNR, and find out what's legal

Don't be a hippie and set them free 10 miles away

Go fucking Curtis Lemay on there goddamn asses.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Repairing it is gonna be a bitch.  2 story house, but with basement and the basement is at ground level in the back so essentially 3 stories.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that a 1 or 2 story house?

Aw crap.  I think that stuff is just pressed in.  Go to HD/Lowe's and look in the outdoor or garden section.  Get a bunch of those thin green poles used to support tomatoes and such.  Duct tape them together into a really, really long stick.  They are strong, but pretty lightweight.  You stand a good chance of just popping the end piece back in, but you might have to slide it one way or the other.  Duct tape an empty tuna can or something on the end if it helps make contact.  

And birds are very persistent in opening up a tiny crack to get inside for shelter or nesting.  I had to help my neighbor get a damn starling family out of his dryer vent.  We watched the birds hover in midair, kicking and pecking at the vent flap.  Eventually they ripped it off completely.  Put on a birdproof vent with a screen.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#28]
If yu are hearing the noise in the very early morning and night it is most likely flying squirrels.  Squirrels as in plural.  Those fuckers live in massive colonies.  Ask me how I know.  I have battled them for a while.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#30]
We used to have 2 large river birch trees that were close to the house.  We used to get squirrels in the attic every year until I had the trees cut down.    I used a rat trap to take care of them.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fuck no I haven't looked in the attic yet.  Not until I get a full set of chainmail and go up there armed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would suggest you grow a set and go look in the attic to start.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Possum .
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Fun Answer:  Acquire a .22LR w/ at least 24" bbl.  Use CCI CBee Caps and waste what's up there.

Realistic Answer:  Turn the ripped up siding into a one way valve, where critters can exit, but not enter.

Yer gonna have to look, in either case.

EDIT:

Oh, raccoons.  CBee caps won't properly waste a raccoon.  Think Remington Subsonic HP.

Pepperspray worked great for me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Possum .
View Quote

OP make sure it is not Opie..I love the little guy..

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't bother calling A/C, in VA they don't deal with wildlife and you will be referred to an exterminator.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Hang a snare at the opening.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Squirrel
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#38]
NaCl can fix that soffit for you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#39]
.45 can?... Get a 300blk and take care of business with subs
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/tjhands/IMG_0358.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Possum .

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/tjhands/IMG_0358.jpg

His thread has not been updated recently
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#41]
My ex had squirrels in her attic. She ended up having a ton of the killed via traps.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Got a dude from a critter control company coming in an hour or so.  Will update with pictures of chupacabra and/or aliens.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Got a dude from a critter control company coming in an hour or so.  Will update with pictures of chupacabra and/or aliens.
View Quote
it's probably a coon, possum or squirrel. Make sure you kill it and seal all openings everywhere on your house. If there are any openings along the roof edges you'll be inviting rats. I had a squirrel chew a hole under the eves on one fo my roof dormers, I didnt notice it until the rats showed up , what a pain in the ass that was.

it probably stepped on that cheap vinyl soffit vent and pushed it down, more than likely he got in some other way.

I sit in my back yard and shoot squirrels on sight with a 22 now.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#44]
A couple times a year I have to sit in the rafters with a led light and .22 pistol loaded with rat shot hunting squirrels. Pretend you're a statue and wait for it to make a mistake. After you make a few mistakes you figure out were they are.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Seriously tho, what the hell does that?  Do I have a fucking chupacabra in my attic?
View Quote

Likely a Raccoon, but possibly a squirrel.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Don't do the following:

1. Fill attic with mothballs
2. Play a radio really loud in your attic
3. Spray urine or other foul smelling stuff
4. Set traps unsecured in attic

Do:

Call a professional.

I can't tell you all the crazy stuff I have seen people do in thier attics.

(15 years in the pest control industry, 15 years licensed wildlife trapper)
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Don't do the following:

1. Fill attic with mothballs
2. Play a radio really loud in your attic
3. Spray urine or other foul smelling stuff
4. Set traps unsecured in attic

Do:

Call a professional.

I can't tell you all the crazy stuff I have seen people do in thier attics.

(15 years in the pest control industry, 15 years licensed wildlife trapper)
View Quote

Yep....all 4 really don't do anything.

Those large glue traps however do work on a curious squirrel.  Helps keep them in one place while I take shots at them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Exorcist.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Glue his ass in place.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#50]
small BB gun ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top