BCM
User Panel

Page / 26
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Crazy.

Granted I know the whole "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard doesn't necessarily apply in civil cases, but at best it boils down to a he said/she said deal which is pretty sketchy when you're talking defamation, plus it involving a public figure which usually affords a little more leeway.

Makes me think more that there really may be a hard split, or again, that one guy who is a closet JV fan who simply can't let it go.

I mean, at the end of the day you would have to believe that that one small allegation alone cost JV millions, when seemingly JV didn't prove any direct correlation.  I.e. there simply was no massive public backlash JV could point to regarding the alleged statement.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Jeebus H Christ. going into the fourth day over something like this... un fucking real.  These are the types who voted in Franken and will re-elect him.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jeebus H Christ. going into the fourth day over something like this... un fucking real.  These are the types who voted in Franken and will re-elect him.
View Quote

As I said earlier.  Ventura was elected to public office by these folks.

Gr
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:51:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Realistically would JV had lost 5-15 million from this?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:01:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

NO. HE HURT himself more than CK could have, even if CK hit him with a crow bar.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:18:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who knows, its tough to say.  I doubt it, however.

Quite frankly, I think both JV and CK are douchebags and full of shit.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree regarding CK. I met him prior to his murder and he was a very down to earth humble guy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Jesse claims that 23 CIA agents interrogate him in the basement of the capital when he was Gov.  

Again, exactly, how did Kyle damage Ventura's reputation?

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"Did you know the CIA is implanted in your state government?"   ",,,no,,"

I quit at that point
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I quit at that point

Get to the 1:26 mark for LOL's.

At 9:54, UDT Ventura states he threatened the CIA for tailing him while he was in Cuba meeting Castro.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

At 9:54, UDT Ventura states he threatened the CIA for tailing him while he was in Cuba meeting Castro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I quit at that point

Make it to the end for the super lulz.  Where he claims he told the CIA, "If you ever put a tail on me again without telling me, you'll find your tail floating in the river."  Sure you did Jessee.

ETA: Your edit beat me by seconds.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've never paid much attention to him beyond knowing his a truther conspiracy whack job. He's really way way way out there, but whoever was there (reporters?) sat though that nonsense like he wasn't just completely bullshitting  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I quit at that point

I've never paid much attention to him beyond knowing his a truther conspiracy whack job. He's really way way way out there, but whoever was there (reporters?) sat though that nonsense like he wasn't just completely bullshitting  

To be fair, the press sits through Obama, Biden, and Pelosi pressers the same way, and they contain a similar amount of utter BS.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Jesse claims that 23 CIA agents interrogate him in the basement of the capital when he was Gov.  

Again, exactly, how did Kyle damage Ventura's reputation?

http://youtu.be/lIzfXOfpFcA
View Quote

What if they were the same CIA agents that hid the bodies of the carjackers and those the SEALs shot in New Orleans?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I quit at that point

I think it was Grayman or one of the other doctors here who said he had a distraught and delirious man come into the emergency room one time complaining that FBI agents were after him.  They treated him with some meds and sent him on his way.  30 minutes later two guys in suits and sunglasses walked in looking for the man and they were FBI agents.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Day 4 Of Deliberation In Ventura Trial Ends With No Verdict

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP/WCCO) – The fourth day of deliberations has come to a close in the trial over former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura’s defamation lawsuit, and there is still no verdict.

The jury will not return for more deliberations now until Monday at 9 a.m.
View Quote

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/07/25/deliberations-in-ventura-trial-to-enter-day-4/
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://www.theprospect.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/funny-gif-man-jump-out-the-window.gif

Day 4 Of Deliberation In Ventura Trial Ends With No Verdict

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP/WCCO) – The fourth day of deliberations has come to a close in the trial over former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura’s defamation lawsuit, and there is still no verdict.

The jury will not return for more deliberations now until Monday at 9 a.m.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/07/25/deliberations-in-ventura-trial-to-enter-day-4/

WTF?????

WTF?????
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#29]
So in my professional opinion as a non-lawyer, my guess would be the jury is still deadlocked over the basic issue of ruling for Ventura or Kyle.  I would think that the impending weekend would have moved the jury a lot easier on say the amount of an award than it would on the basic issue of ruling in favor of one or the other.  I.e. the whole "I don't want to have to come back in here on Monday" factor is much more likely to drive a compromise on dollar amounts than it is to sway any outliers to cave on innocent or guilty of defamation.

Professional lawyers feel free to make me look like an idiot here.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I read (and posted) that article earlier.  What I don't get is how on one hand the reporter says the minute it looked like Kyle was a bullshitter he becomes a liar and his testimony will probably get tossed by jurors, but Ventura is also a bullshitter who spins yarns about the FBI and aliens, yet he looks like a sympathetic character.

Granted we don't know the mind of the jury.  And Kyle may not have been an angel by any stretch.  But at the end of the day it is a wild stretch to think that the success of Kyle's book had anything to do with Ventura, that ventura lost money because of it, and the jury probably needs to just tell everybody to go home and get over themselves.

ETA: There is also that whole bit about malice of forethought.  If I am not mistaken it isn't enough that Kyle was telling tall tales...it has to be shown that he was doing it intentionally to harm ventura and cost him money.  Kind of hard to argue that he did that when he initially shielded Ventura's identity in the book.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#36]
In before  the book "the Aimless Guide to Courtroom Drama."

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I read (and posted) that article earlier.  What I don't get is how on one hand the reporter says the minute it looked like Kyle was a bullshitter he becomes a liar and his testimony will probably get tossed by jurors, but Ventura is also a bullshitter who spins yarns about the FBI and aliens, yet he looks like a sympathetic character.

Granted we don't know the mind of the jury.  And Kyle may not have been an angel by any stretch.  But at the end of the day it is a wild stretch to think that the success of Kyle's book had anything to do with Ventura, that ventura lost money because of it, and the jury probably needs to just tell everybody to go home and get over themselves.

ETA: There is also that whole bit about malice of forethought.  If I am not mistaken it isn't enough that Kyle was telling tall tales...it has to be shown that he was doing it intentionally to harm ventura and cost him money.  Kind of hard to argue that he did that when he initially shielded Ventura's identity in the book.

View Quote

He turned around and said it was Ventura during interviews on the book tour.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can't quote it because I have the audiobook, but Kyle talked about the SEALs going out to bars and getting in fights all the time. He made some argument that it wasn't their fault, people picked fights with them because they were so awesome and all the girls in the bar would be falling all over them, but when you go out drinking and end up breaking noses and cracking skulls every weekend it's not because you are soooo good looking. He either said, or implied, he played the "I'm a SEAL" card to get out of trouble after getting into trouble with bar fights. There was a lot of weird, fucked up hazing stories too

The parts of the book where he was deployed are great, but a lot of the rest of the book had me going, now maybe that was BS too, who knows.
View Quote

He had a bunch of stupid shit like that in the book that he should have left out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
He had a bunch of stupid shit like that in the book that he should have left out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't quote it because I have the audiobook, but Kyle talked about the SEALs going out to bars and getting in fights all the time. He made some argument that it wasn't their fault, people picked fights with them because they were so awesome and all the girls in the bar would be falling all over them, but when you go out drinking and end up breaking noses and cracking skulls every weekend it's not because you are soooo good looking. He either said, or implied, he played the "I'm a SEAL" card to get out of trouble after getting into trouble with bar fights. There was a lot of weird, fucked up hazing stories too

The parts of the book where he was deployed are great, but a lot of the rest of the book had me going, now maybe that was BS too, who knows.

Back in 1945 the Japs were not going to call bullshit on a Marine's story of what happened on Iwo, today the enemy or even civis will make you out to be a liar with video proof of your bullshit in less than a day if you think making stuff up is a way to build your resume.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

They KNOW they are better than anyone else in the place, they are REALLY good fighters, and they never back down.  Combine that with your typical redneck bar dwellers who don't know the error of what they are doing, and you can do the math.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
They KNOW they are better than anyone else in the place, they are REALLY good fighters, and they never back down.  Combine that with your typical redneck bar dwellers who don't know the error of what they are doing, and you can do the math.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds like a great way to die of hubris.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:06:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Picking fights with people sounds like fun until the guy, you hussled into fighting you, stabs you in the neck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:24:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Picking fights with people sounds like fun until the guy, you hussled into fighting you, stabs you in the neck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a quote somewhere to the effect of "its not always the badass that kills you, sometimes its the illiterate cave-dweller with a stick"

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:15:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Even if he doesn't lose in the case, he has lost in the court of public opinion.
View Quote

So much this
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So much this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even if he doesn't lose in the case, he has lost in the court of public opinion.

So much this

How so?

His fan-club is prolly made up of folks unlike 1/2 here...

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
...... You don't take from widows and orphans, even rich ones, regardless of whether the man was an asshole or not.....
View Quote

So............if Michael Bloomberg caused an accident that left you injured, totaled your car and left you unable to ever work again:
I presume you think it okay to sue the rich bastard if he survived?
If Bloomberg was killed in the accident you wouldn't sue his estate?
What if you filed suit while Bloomberg was alive and before it came to trial, he died?

I'm sure you would drop the lawsuit and make do best you can.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So............if Michael Bloomberg caused an accident that left you injured, totaled your car and left you unable to ever work again:
What if you filed suit while Bloomberg was alive and before it came to trial, he died?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...... You don't take from widows and orphans, even rich ones, regardless of whether the man was an asshole or not.....

There is a significant difference between Bloomberg money and the money involved in the Kyle Estate, and before someone brings up writers' insurance I have already posted that writer's insurance tops out at $1 million and no one has been able to post anything suggesting that the Publisher's Insurance against liable will cover the Kyle estate.

Bloomberg could lose a $5 -$15 million suit and never even know it unless someone told him and showed him his P&L statement, the same can not be said of the Kyle family.
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top