BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
21!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Kinda stuck here - need to figure out how to finish this up before I break out the super glue:

Should I make the butt longer, and then make a rectangular box, like a SVD stock?  Maybe with Beowulf X cross-members?  Maybe put a magazine retainer in the middle for an extra 20 or 30 rounder?  (Gonna be kinda heavy even before we add magazines)

Maybe the butt's long enough already, and I should just fair up gradually from the bottom of the pistol grip to the base of the butt?  Make it solid & Kalifornia complaint?    Make it solid but for just a thumbhole - would probably be the strongest?

In case no one's figured it out, the bricks running into the pistol grip will be super glued together, and then the pistol grip will be filled with 2-part epoxy and the brick framework sunk into it.  Also, the top edges of the PG will be superglued to the little projections on the top, but that whole structure up top is kinda weak.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Find new thread.
Go to last post.

Subscribe.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kinda stuck here - need to figure out how to finish this up before I break out the super glue:

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortbumpfire/fgw/mk9RightConnected.jpg

Should I make the butt longer, and then make a rectangular box, like a SVD stock?  Maybe with Beowulf X cross-members?  Maybe put a magazine retainer in the middle for an extra 20 or 30 rounder?  (Gonna be kinda heavy even before we add magazines)

Maybe the butt's long enough already, and I should just fair up gradually from the bottom of the pistol grip to the base of the butt?  Make it solid & Kalifornia complaint?    Make it solid but for just a thumbhole - would probably be the strongest?

In case no one's figured it out, the bricks running into the pistol grip will be super glued together, and then the pistol grip will be filled with 2-part epoxy and the brick framework sunk into it.  Also, the top edges of the PG will be superglued to the little projections on the top, but that whole structure up top is kinda weak.
View Quote

I wish there was a shorter LOP to either SF or Fostech stock. I can add length later, but it's hard to take off a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
This is longer than my entry stock.  How long would you like it, measuring from the rear of the castle nut?  Pre-Kragle, everything's adjustable.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is longer than my entry stock.  How long would you like it, measuring from the rear of the castle nut?  Pre-Kragle, everything's adjustable.
View Quote

If I were picking a length of a fixed stock when compared to the M4, I would say in the center position is ideal.

...I'm actually nowhere close to an AR-15 at this moment, or I would measure.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I only haz 6 position mil-specish tubes.  Middleish?  I'll see what I can do.  How tall are you, and do you have freakishly long or short arms?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I only haz 6 position mil-specish tubes.  Middleish?  I'll see what I can do.  How tall are you, and do you have freakishly long or short arms?
View Quote

I'm 5'9" and my arms are about 5'10" or so.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
So I hate photobucket on my wi fi.  took all night to upload this stuff.

My goal was to have an IAR m27 (USMC automatic riflemans role not the saw or lmg, ect) so I have been training to shoot accurately first and in short controlled bursts.  I shoot alot and you can see that I am bringing over the accuracy aspect into this, for better or worse.  Got to get a good sight picture and then a good controlled accurate group.  As I get better the bursts will be longer.
This is my 4th time running this set up.  I did ok at 150, but my can rotated loose and threw my groups off and I didnt notice till later, so no footage of shooting at that distance or groups...

Up first
The heating of the can.  This was at 50 yards.  All but 4 rounds were on target, thats 86 rounds on target.  You can see I am self trained to shoot bursts...

can after 3 mags

barrel after 3 mags

in sustained single fire barrel and can never broke 250, in bursts can never broke 350 and barrel never broke 250.

First mag at 100

Second mag at 100

Third mag at 100

I was surprised that some of the steel impacts were actually two rounds almost on top of each other...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I hate photobucket on my wi fi.  took all night to upload this stuff.

~SNIP~

I was surprised that some of the steel impacts were actually two rounds almost on top of each other...
View Quote

WOW!!!

This is really well done stuff! I think we are all running the gun in the IAR way for the most part. I am just trying to run mine on the outer edge of performance, rather than in the short burst optimal performance zone. Overall, very well done though!

I know you said you had a problem with your wifi & photobucket. Have you considered YouTube? I like it because it's easy to share and you can keep track of your views, etc.

I am going to put a video in the OP. Do you have a pic to match?

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, let me get it posted in a few.  I also got the thermal dissapator in.  I'm not as sold on it as I thought I was...

Thermal dissapator, must have .65 exactly as per jp tec drawing...  Mine was close.  I'm not sold that it won't affect accuracy.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  Yes, let me get it posted in a few.  I also got the thermal dissapator in.  I'm not as sold on it as I thought I was...
View Quote

It didn't ship w/ the complimentary stormtrooper helmet?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes, let me get it posted in a few.  I also got the thermal dissapator in.  I'm not as sold on it as I thought I was...
View Quote
Any issues or reasons you didn't like it?

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't shot it yet, so to be fair, it could be the best thing since bacon.  It's well built and secure.  I have 2 doubts to be overcome,
1.  That it clamping to the barrel will not affect ballistics.  I will have to sit down and fire for accuracy in single fire.
2.  That my barrel will really get hot enough to benefit.  After running the ir thermometer last trip, shy of cyclic for mags, the barrel never broke 250...  So I'm not sure how effective this will be.
I reserve the right to be wrong, but this was the same price as a 60 rnd mag...  So...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  If I were picking a length of a fixed stock when compared to the M4, I would say in the center position is ideal.

...I'm actually nowhere close to an AR-15 at this moment, or I would measure.
View Quote

Looks like I'm about an inch longer than that right now.  I'm maybe a half inch shorter than a Cav Arms/GWACS/Sabre Defense(for $65 )?  I can shorten it up.  Anyway, below is the Feinstein Family & friends:

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#16]
To be fair with the laser thermometer holding it that far away might be reading lower than the actual surface temp of the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I was pretty scientific about using it, I kind of had to stage the photo.  I needed to get a few data points to compare function of the heat dissipator
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/lb6r2/media/IMG_20140820_14413_edit_1408563740503_zpsn1ux2yhb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/lb6r2/IMG_20140820_14413_edit_1408563740503_zpsn1ux2yhb.jpg</a>

Thermal dissapator, must have .65 exactly as per jp tec drawing...  Mine was close.  I'm not sold that it won't affect accuracy.
<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/lb6r2/media/IMG_20140820_14443_edit_1408563935343_zps5rdyokk5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/lb6r2/IMG_20140820_14443_edit_1408563935343_zps5rdyokk5.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/lb6r2/media/IMG_20140820_144435_zpsia59grwa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/lb6r2/IMG_20140820_144435_zpsia59grwa.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/lb6r2/media/output_zpsfrjzhrjv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/lb6r2/output_zpsfrjzhrjv.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/lb6r2/media/output_zpsopcjq93j.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/lb6r2/output_zpsopcjq93j.jpg</a>
View Quote

I am willing to take a small decrease in accuracy to avoid cook-offs. I think I'm going to pick one of those up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I am willing to take a small decrease in accuracy to avoid cook-offs. I think I'm going to pick one of those up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Heatsink barrel nut would be more conducive to that from what I've been reading.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Heatsink barrel nut would be more conducive to that from what I've been reading.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there such a thing?

I am looking at: a) plain barrel, or b) barrel with heatsink.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Is there such a thing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there such a thing?

Apparently there is!  Googled it after reading about the barrel nut acting like a sink.  Apparently the only real user is POF but it seems to work a bit.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Apparently there is!  Googled it after reading about the barrel nut acting like a sink.  Apparently the only real user is POF but it seems to work a bit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there such a thing?

If I can't use it on my gun, I'm not concerned about it. I think the JP setup is better at reducing cook-off temps than not having it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Dudes, look at the Sampson evo rail, a heat sink goes over the usgi handguard nut, and it's piston compatible.  That's the last part I have coming, and why I was doing temp tests.  The chamber area on my upper is thicker and did not get as hot as the center of the barrel, likely because other parts in contact are leaching heat, but I can't take pictures of that till I borrow thermal.....
YouTube showing heat sinks on install
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKyIoy0csqo&list=UUhPoH8HtGu5QlCx9BSG4y2Q
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Madcap, is it possible to run those vids of mine for rpm? Not sure if the can messes that up...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Madcap, is it possible to run those vids of mine for rpm? Not sure if the can messes that up...
View Quote
I'll take a stab at it later today and see, should be OK.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Eta, wow, delayed double....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dudes, look at the Sampson evo rail, a heat sink goes over the usgi handguard nut, and it's piston compatible.  That's the last part I have coming, and why I was doing temp tests.  The chamber area on my upper is thicker and did not get as hot as the center of the barrel, likely because other parts in contact are leaching heat, but I can't take pictures of that till I borrow thermal.....
YouTube showing heat sinks on install
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKyIoy0csqo&list=UUhPoH8HtGu5QlCx9BSG4y2Q
View Quote

Rail shows as delivered, so review when I get home!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

No shit Madcap... Chop-fucking-chop....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#30]
So after reading all of this and the other one on homemade bumpfire stocks I decided to give it a try.
I used a moe stock $40
Grip that I had laying around I will say $5
Had a baseplate of a glock that I used as a finger stop $5
Purchased a stick of steel $4
2 taps and corresponding drill bits $15
Miscellaneous small bolts and lock washers and nuts $6
Total $75 (I only spent $25)
For that I was able to build this,

http://youtu.be/UNPSc7OZuc4
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

So after reading all of this and the other one on homemade bumpfire stocks I decided to give it a try.

I used a moe stock $40

http://i62.tinypic.com/2uz8f2r.jpg

View Quote
How did you handle the safety?

I like the velcro unlocking method.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I used a moe stock $40

View Quote
That... looked like it worked pretty damn good!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
No dice...  the can is managing to throw everything for a loop apparently because... it works.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quick question - is the finger shelf absolutely necessary?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Getting ready to head out this weekend and decided to monkey around with my bump-gun and see how feasible it would be to shoot lefthanded. I just pinched the HELL out of my cheek. The longer I have this thing, the more STUPID design flaws I notice. The number one thing is not making a cheek pad that covers both sides. I may have to put a piece of plastic on it to make it safe for ambi-shooting. The second is the area on the shooter's right where the grip meets the trigger guard assembly. That thing is a pinch zone too. I can avoid that by just wearing gloves though.

It still works great, but it could use some refinements.

I wish one of these companies would contact me. I could totally redesign it to be literally perfect, but I don't have the tools to actually do the work.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quick question - is the finger shelf absolutely necessary?
View Quote

I don't know. I have never tried without it because they don't come off.

I want to say it's close to absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  Getting ready to head out this weekend and decided to monkey around with my bump-gun and see how feasible it would be to shoot lefthanded. I just pinched the HELL out of my cheek. The longer I have this thing, the more STUPID design flaws I notice. The number one thing is not making a cheek pad that covers both sides. I may have to put a piece of plastic on it to make it cover both sides. The second is the area on the shooter's right where the grip meets the trigger guard assembly. That thing is a pinch zone too. I can avoid that by just wearing gloves though.

I wish one of these companies would contact me. I could totally redesign it to be literally perfect, but I don't have the tools to actually do the work.
View Quote

The shorter I make the stock, the less cheek-rest area there is & the more probability of pinching.  You can't shoot a brick stock w/ the current design nose to charging handle.

It's really difficult around the trigger guard.  It may be mitigated with different grips, but that would be custom work.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The shorter I make the stock, the less cheek-rest area there is & the more probability of pinching.  You can't shoot a brick stock w/ the current design nose to charging handle.

It's really difficult around the trigger guard.  It may be mitigated with different grips, but that would be custom work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Getting ready to head out this weekend and decided to monkey around with my bump-gun and see how feasible it would be to shoot lefthanded. I just pinched the HELL out of my cheek. The longer I have this thing, the more STUPID design flaws I notice. The number one thing is not making a cheek pad that covers both sides. I may have to put a piece of plastic on it to make it cover both sides. The second is the area on the shooter's right where the grip meets the trigger guard assembly. That thing is a pinch zone too. I can avoid that by just wearing gloves though.

Getting pinched with plastic is tolerable. This thing is like getting bit with pliers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Amateurs

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#40]
if I had a place I could shoot a setup like these I would build one for sure
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used a moe stock $40

Just tryed it this morning I wanted a proof of concept before I taped to the receiver to do the ball bearing modification. As it sits right now there is no permanently modify parts to the gun. I'm definitely going to keep this receiver as only bump fire, so I'm in a drill and tap the safety and put the ball very modification sometime this weekend.

But yeah it worked well. It was the first time I used a bump fire stock and after a mag or two I could dump the entire mag. I had a surefire 60 round mag but the gun didn't care for that.

Yeah the Velcro was off a computer cord and did not come off. Overall for the money it was a worth it. I shot more money in ammo then I spent on the whole lower.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#42]

The Holy Grail...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Mind blown!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok, big updates on mine, got it done done and put in some work on my bipod too, for those that are wanting a fixed bipod.
This is an up close of the Samson rail heat sink.  It's metal and fits over the usgi barrel nut.  With the aluminum rail on, this thing should suck heat away from the chamber area pretty well.

I dremeled part of the rail section on so I could put the Harris bipod and 16$ rail mount for it on the rail section.  I thread and lock the Allen screw in the channel I created.  I drilled out the front hole to fit a nail I trimmed that captures the bipod mount and keeps it from moving, I pull the pun and have controlled limited front to back movement for about a half inch, enough to help bump and keep it straight.  I hope there is not too much bearing surface friction to keep it from moving, it works good in my living room...

All finished and ready for the dissapator accuracy test and bump tests at 150+ yards.  I am really hoping the bipod mod controls bursts even better...

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Is that a 16d nail?  

That is pretty ingenious!!! A small clevis pin could make that a pretty legit setup.

Hmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ok, big updates on mine, got it done done and put in some work on my bipod too, for those that are wanting a fixed bipod.
This is an up close of the Samson rail heat sink.  It's metal and fits over the usgi barrel nut.  With the aluminum rail on, this thing should suck heat away from the chamber area pretty well.
<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/lb6r2/media/20140821_152453_zpslyybhgoy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/lb6r2/20140821_152453_zpslyybhgoy.jpg</a>

I dremeled part of the rail section on so I could put the Harris bipod and 16$ rail mount for it on the rail section.  I thread and lock the Allen screw in the channel I created.  I drilled out the front hole to fit a nail I trimmed that captures the bipod mount and keeps it from moving, I pull the pun and have controlled limited front to back movement for about a half inch, enough to help bump and keep it straight.  I hope there is not too much bearing surface friction to keep it from moving, it works good in my living room...

<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/lb6r2/media/output_zpsvxgtc2xh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/lb6r2/output_zpsvxgtc2xh.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/lb6r2/media/output_zpshh3qee5k.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/lb6r2/output_zpshh3qee5k.jpg</a>

All finished and ready for the dissapator accuracy test and bump tests at 150+ yards.  I am really hoping the bipod mod controls bursts even better...

<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/lb6r2/media/IMG_20140821_16375_edit_1408657131807_zpslcsnwrfp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/lb6r2/IMG_20140821_16375_edit_1408657131807_zpslcsnwrfp.jpg</a>

View Quote

The thread that keeps on giving. I am looking forward to your AAR.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is that a 16d nail?  

That is pretty ingenious!!! A small clevis pin could make that a pretty legit setup.

Hmmmmmm.
View Quote

Yep, and I'm going to hd tomorrow to get one and some of that thin flex steel braid and clamp sets, so the pin and nail stay with the weapon, like an acog turret cover...

I'm also really starting to consider the upgrade to the fostech.... Just for the better lock up and build quality
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#48]

I wish I didn't have to ask, but do you have a letter for that?  I'd have a bit more comfort if the back end was "flexible" like the original brace.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:  Yep, and I'm going to hd tomorrow to get one and some of that thin flex steel braid and clamp sets, so the pin and nail stay with the weapon, like an acog turret cover...

I'm also really starting to consider the upgrade to the fostech.... Just for the better lock up and build quality
View Quote

Did someone say turret?    We might have to go to AR-10s for turret mounts.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yep, and I'm going to hd tomorrow to get one and some of that thin flex steel braid and clamp sets, so the pin and nail stay with the weapon, like an acog turret cover...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that a 16d nail?  

Hmmmmmm.

Skip HD and go somewhere that sells fishing tackle.  You want steel leader material.  They'll have a crimping tool and crimps you can use, too.  

Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top