[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone doing one in 308?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ran out to the field and took a couple videos for your pleasure.

http://youtu.be/xU_YcqSC5uY

http://youtu.be/RpA-cd5cbjg

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Dude... Your backyard is awesome!!!

Gonna guess around 1100ish on the rpm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I liked your buds revolver rant video better, cokeman. Been shooting your Makarov in your house much lately?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I liked your buds revolver rant video better, cokeman. Been shooting your Makarov in your house much lately?

That video was pretty interesting I will admit.  Funny thing is I've never met Cokeman or tmhonfire yet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Downside is the 30 minute drive to buy anything.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
960 RPM.

Pretty cool to think a $200 stock can do what it takes a $15K+ transferable to do, PLUS no paperwork or tax stamp.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
SkilletsUSMC, do you use steel cased stuff at all? If so, how does it cycle?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That video was pretty interesting I will admit.  Funny thing is I've never met Cokeman or tmhonfire yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still convinced you're cokeman, same voice, same accent, same profanity laced vocabulary.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
960 RPM.

Pretty cool to think a $200 stock can do what it takes a $15K+ transferable to do, PLUS no paperwork or tax stamp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

960 RPM.

Ok. Fine.  I'll do it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ok. Fine.  I'll do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

960 RPM.

Ok. Fine.  I'll do it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I think I'm sold on one of these finally.
That Fostech stock doesn't look too bad at all. Plus I bought a whole lot of drums & mags before the ban here in CO, and I don't really have a use for the drums otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SkilletsUSMC, do you use steel cased stuff at all? If so, how does it cycle?
View Quote

Yeah I tend to use either wolf or tulammo.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OK, here is a quick breakdown of how I built mine. Not everything here is mandatory, but I feel like all the parts listed here contribute to the usability of the gun.

Any AR-15 with 16” chrome lined carbine gas barrel. The contour on the end of the barrel matters a lot. (Price varies)

Fostech Outdoors DefendAR-15 bump stock (~$500)

YHM gas block—this is important if you want to use the M60 bipod (~$75)

M60 bipod (~$200)

Geissele SD3G trigger (~$260)

Primary Arms 3X optic—found it cheap and figured I wouldn’t break the bank on something nice for a gamble project. It’s held up nicely. (~$175)

Magpul rifle-length handguard. (~$40)

BCM Gunfighter charging handle (~$45)

Magpul BAD lever—if you don’t like it on your regular carbine, you’ll still want in on this for one-handed control. (~$30)

Matech rear BUIS. (~$80)

That breaks down to just over $1400 or so plus whatever rifle/mags you want to use.

On the CHEAP you could do a plain SSAR-15 stock, PSA AR-15, and a different bipod for probably a bit over $1200 for everything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any chance of getting a breakdown of parts and cost?

OK, here is a quick breakdown of how I built mine. Not everything here is mandatory, but I feel like all the parts listed here contribute to the usability of the gun.

Any AR-15 with 16” chrome lined carbine gas barrel. The contour on the end of the barrel matters a lot. (Price varies)

M60 bipod (~$200)

Primary Arms 3X optic—found it cheap and figured I wouldn’t break the bank on something nice for a gamble project. It’s held up nicely. (~$175)

Magpul BAD lever—if you don’t like it on your regular carbine, you’ll still want in on this for one-handed control. (~$30)

Matech rear BUIS. (~$80)

That breaks down to just over $1400 or so plus whatever rifle/mags you want to use.

On the CHEAP you could do a plain SSAR-15 stock, PSA AR-15, and a different bipod for probably a bit over $1200 for everything.

Thanks, those were the things I was wondering about.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I meant to add this earlier. Regarding 22lr.

I have one i use on a 7.5 in (556) with the pig brake and a surefire 40. This thing thumps. It feels close to the blast of a m2.

I also keep the stock dedicated on my m&p 15-22. The only modification i did to it is put in a jard adjustable trigger (3.lbs)  i originally tuned the trigger with no pull and break like glass but it wouldn't cycle the weapon. I actually had to adjust slop in the pull (still breaks like glass) to get it to cycle. After that i  had no problem and it does mag dumps time after time. Weight isn't an issue because I've had some heavy optics on it to try and bog it down. Flash suppressor is a standard birdcage A2 you don't need those fancy muzzle cones and have to grease up the stock like some people do in their videos.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M60 bipod (~$200)

Matech rear BUIS. (~$80)

When you get an idea of what you are thinking about using, shoot me an IM. M60 bipods aren't really suited for some handguards/rails. Thry I can give you specs if you need. I barely close on my magpul stuff.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:11:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You sound like the spawn of Hank Hill and Boomhower, you also look like Bill.

ETA: beat!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You sound like the spawn of Hank Hill and Boomhower, you also look like Bill.

ETA: beat!

I laughed my ass off at those videos!!!! and at the same time, I want to buy what he made, that was awesome!!!

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
gay
View Quote

wow great post
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds like.

Funny part being, he's trying to read too far into everything.    The ATF rules on what's in front of them, not how, or who, it's used by.

That's why the clarification letter came out stating that shooting a sig arm brace from the shoulder does NOT make it a shoulder stock, as they don't regulate how a legal product is used.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree. I'm just waiting for the first idiot to get arrested with one, and claim the letter gives them the ok. An ATF opinion letter is only valid for the person it's addressed to, and in the letter they clearly state they made it for "handicap" shooters. I'm not handicapped. So I'm not legal to own it? According to the letter I'm not.

You talking about the Sig brace?
Sounds like.

Funny part being, he's trying to read too far into everything.    The ATF rules on what's in front of them, not how, or who, it's used by.

That's why the clarification letter came out stating that shooting a sig arm brace from the shoulder does NOT make it a shoulder stock, as they don't regulate how a legal product is used.

Shoelaces.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:28:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Shoelaces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Shoelaces.

Good point, I guess that was too broad of a statement.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree. I'm just waiting for the first idiot to get arrested with one, and claim the letter gives them the ok. An ATF opinion letter is only valid for the person it's addressed to, and in the letter they clearly state they made it for "handicap" shooters. I'm not handicapped. So I'm not legal to own it? According to the letter I'm not.

No. The slide fire. I realized after the fact you do like them, but the fact still remains.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Shoelaces.

As with everything it depends on what the DA where something may happen and if the local ATF field office is bored or has a new hot shot that wants to prove themselves. You never know, and it's all a crap shoot. But yes, to say that everyone who bought one is in the clear just simple isn't the case, the ATF has gone back on opinion letters before, no reason something legal now won't be in a couple of months or years.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my Slide Fires though I have to say the one on my AK scares the shit out of me since I can barely control it.  

The 9mm slide fire with the suppressor is quite the blast though.  

Definitely need to start looking for a M60 bipod now....

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Where are you guys getting these bipods?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No. The slide fire. I realized after the fact you do like them, but the fact still remains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is probably the only valid complaint against the stocks, but I'm not concerned about it obviously. Somehow they are going to have to determine that the stock either makes the gun fire more than one round per function of the trigger or fuck off. There's nothing on this gun that would make it any different than bumpfiring an AR with a OEM grip and stock. It just makes it more accurate.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have put some thought into that, but I have also put some thought into an RPD and modding the stock to fit it.

Right now, mag-linked P-Mags are the best for the $$$.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is pretty cool. Have you put any thought into getting a shrike upper?

I have put some thought into that, but I have also put some thought into an RPD and modding the stock to fit it.

I also looked into this possibility but as I understand it the semi auto trigger conversion is not dissimiler to the Sumoi in that it makes it wicked heavy!

Still would rock to get it done for the DSA modernized RPD!!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I also looked into this possibility but as I understand it the semi auto trigger conversion is not dissimiler to the Sumoi in that it makes it wicked heavy!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is pretty cool. Have you put any thought into getting a shrike upper?

I have fingerfucked a couple—I didn't think it was THAT bad. It has a long pull through, but otherwise it would work. Besides, if you are dropping that much money on a gun, getting the trigger worked would be worth it.

If not, there is always one of these...

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is probably the only valid complaint against the stocks, but I'm not concerned about it obviously. Somehow they are going to have to determine that the stock either makes the gun fire more than one round per function of the trigger or fuck off. There's nothing on this gun that would make it any different than bumpfiring an AR with a OEM grip and stock. It just makes it more accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, and you are arguing about an agency that deemed shoe strings to be illegal. Logic doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Right, and you are arguing about an agency that deemed shoe strings to be illegal. Logic doesn't apply.
View Quote

Sure. Until then, I'll be bumping my gun and making videos. The more people that do the same, the better.

What's funny is that if I could just register a lower as a MG, I wouldn't want anything to do with a bumpfire stock.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
H2 buffer would fix it as well, it's called carrier bounce and is pretty common in converted ar15 ' s and .22's...

This thread makes me want to go take a quick video to check my cyclic rate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have to admit, I am seriously impressed.  And that's coming from an M16 owner, though I've never had an issue with bump stocks.  Really cool friend...tempted to try this with my other rifle that has the SD3G in it

When I paired the Fostech stock with the SD3G trigger I was getting insane rates of fire...and LOTS of failures. It was literally so efficient that the "bump action" was beating the BCG back into battery, causing the trigger to drop the hammer on the bolt early. Sort of a weird hammer follow. I solved it with Madcap's suggestion to put silicone grease on the moving part of the stock and slow it down. I think it might be OK with the polymer Slide Fire.

H2 buffer would fix it as well, it's called carrier bounce and is pretty common in converted ar15 ' s and .22's...

This thread makes me want to go take a quick video to check my cyclic rate.

Conversions are different as they have a DIAS.  In the case of fast semi auto's the big issue is hammer follow because the trigger is pulled too early.  An H2 or H3 buffer would likely compound the issue.

Lighter carriers would probably help as they increase cycle speed without adding non-reciprocating mass which can then lead to bolt bounce.

A slower lock time might actually be beneficial as well.  This would give a few more milliseconds for the carrier to close before the hammer impacts the back of it.

Another item that might help with ignition is an extended firing pin (like the 7.62x39 extended firing pins).  These firing pins will stick out .010 more than a standard pin and may result in ignition (even if it's a hare earlier than a normal firing pin would).  It's not much but without an auto sear it's hard to control the variables.

What I would like to build is a camming trigger block (or lockout) that interfaces with the M16 carrier and only allows the trigger to be pulled when the bolt closes.  This will solve the timing issues without adding an auto sear.  Essentially an automatically engaging safety that clicks into place when the trigger is released then moves out of the way when the carrier closes.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

There was a clarification letter later stating that it was only illegal if installed on the gun, and the reason was that it allowed multiple rounds to be fired without pressure being released, and met the definition of machine gun for that reason, more than one round fired per "pull".

I think since then it may have got pulled, don't know.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are part of the GD and have 59,462 posts so trust me you are handicapped it is just with mental illness
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

snip

What I would like to build is a camming trigger block (or lockout) that interfaces with the M16 carrier and only allows the trigger to be pulled when the bolt closes.  This will solve the timing issues without adding an auto sear.  Essentially an automatically engaging safety that clicks into place when the trigger is released then moves out of the way when the carrier closes.

View Quote
Great minds think alike

After the tac-con trigger debacle it made me realize the crazy amount of room in an AR lower for alternative trigger designs. I'm no engineer but I was theorizing on pen and paper with a similar sounding set up, a cam based fully mechanical trigger reset based around the hammer camming the trigger forward with an interrupter/ disconnector that kept the hammer from dropping until the bolt closed.

The alternative was try to shoehorn an up-sized 1911 trigger in there.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I like my Slidefire, It just gets expensive to feed it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I like my Slidefire, It just gets expensive to feed it.
View Quote

Two things:

1) Steel case all day, every day.

2) Shoot with a purpose.

I record about 75% of all the rounds fired out of this thing to see what is going right or wrong. How can I make it more reliable, accurate, or faster to manipulate. Some of you may laugh, but I have put a lot of work into this thing.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Great minds think alike

After the tac-con trigger debacle it made me realize the crazy amount of room in an AR lower for alternative trigger designs. I'm no engineer but I was theorizing on pen and paper with a similar sounding set up, a cam based fully mechanical trigger reset based around the hammer camming the trigger forward with an interrupter/ disconnector that kept the hammer from dropping until the bolt closed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Great minds think alike

The tac-con didn't seem to have a full forced reset.  I wonder if the ATF would sign off on a full forced reset.  Alternatively you could use a reciprocating trigger weight.  3lb initial pull, increases to 8lb while carrier is back, drops back to 3lb when the carrier resets.  This eliminates any possible binding issues that a forced cam might run into.  Combine it with a short reset and it should be really fun, you could even put it on a 3 position system

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The tac-con didn't seem to have a full forced reset.  I wonder if the ATF would sign off on a full forced reset.  Alternatively you could use a reciprocating trigger weight.  3lb initial pull, increases to 8lb while carrier is back, drops back to 3lb when the carrier resets.  This eliminates any possible binding issues that a forced cam might run into.  Combine it with a short reset and it should be really fun, you could even put it on a 3 position system

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Great minds think alike

All of that sounds good, and if it existed I'd use it. For now, I think keeping the bump-rate slightly slower is fine.

700rpm seems almost ideal anyway. Madcap has my first video @ 840 BTW.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Yea, I wonder how much of that no full force reset was avoiding a machine gun slap, since it could allow constant pressure, and how much was a result of constant pressure causing too much drag or something.

Even Jerry Miculek couldn't get it to go faster than any other normal guy, so that's saying something.
We now return you to the regularly scheduled slidefire thread.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yea, I wonder how much of that no full force reset was avoiding a machine gun slap, since it could allow constant pressure, and how much was a result of constant pressure causing too much drag or something.

Even Jerry Miculek couldn't get it to go faster than any other normal guy, so that's saying something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

...but it has three positions: Missionary, Cowgirl AND Doggy

Edit: that would make a great receiver engraving...
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Is that reverse cowgirl?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#42]
One day I'll get a three position marked "Headache, lovemaking, fucking".
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

M60 bipod (~$200)

Matech rear BUIS. (~$80)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M60 bipod (~$200)

Matech rear BUIS. (~$80)

Any reason why your using a carbine length gas system,instead of a mid length?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M60 bipod (~$200)

Matech rear BUIS. (~$80)

More thrusts per squeeze
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M60 bipod (~$200)

Matech rear BUIS. (~$80)

Only because I wanted a very violent action to facilitate the bump. With the Fostech I don't think it's necessary anymore.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Great minds think alike

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Great minds think alike

Aren't "safety sears" what the guy from Shotgun News was selling?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#47]
You need bigger magazine and longer string of rounds. Can you do a full beta magazine dump with your set up with no stoppages.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Great minds think alike

Yes, but those engaged the m16 hammer.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You need bigger magazine and longer string of rounds. Can you do a full beta magazine dump with your set up with no stoppages.
View Quote

With this set up, yes I can. But just like with a real SAW I am shooting it at the sustained/rapid rate.  I'll do a 100 round mag dump just for you...
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#50]
here are pics of the m60 bipod adapter I made last year

Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top