Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Pick up a carbine right now, take the stock off, throw it up on your shoulder upside down, put your finger on the trigger & your hand will fall on the right side of the receiver.  That solves Connecticut's problem of having the trigger hand under the action of the weapon, it gives New Yorkers and Californians a 10 round ammunition feeding device that can be topped off w/ loose rounds - or stripper clips.  Then you need a Beowulf X riser on the forward rail or an offset mount for a red dot, or a scope mount that bolts into where the pistol grip used to fit.  If you just rotate 90 degrees, you just chicken wing, but you have to modify the lower to use a hopper.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit, son. The time has come. Getting an HBAR piston driven 18" rifle to throw a slide fire on and begin tuning for poor man's LMG.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish they would just sell the Carrier and the feed mechanism. I will cut the receiver myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If money is no longer a thing.

http://www.slidefire.com/products/ar-rifles/bfr-556a  

I wish they would just sell the Carrier and the feed mechanism. I will cut the receiver myself.
Did you see the Bump Sled they fabbed up?

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
What quick change BBL kits are available for the AR15 ?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shit, son. The time has come. Getting an HBAR piston driven 18" rifle to throw a slide fire on and begin tuning for poor man's LMG.
View Quote

YES....  

Pics and videos...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  What quick change BBL kits are available for the AR15 ?
View Quote

There's the MGI, the spin off forend to store it in your car thing, or you can just have several cheap uppers, which solves the windage issue.  And while it's more cleaning, if you just replace your DI upper when it gets hot/dirty and hand it off to the AG to clean, then you're not doing the cleaning.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRhqvJ3x-wg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If money is no longer a thing.

http://www.slidefire.com/products/ar-rifles/bfr-556a  

I am not an attorney, but I wouldn't build one like that. Finger not actually engaging the trigger...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pick up a carbine right now, take the stock off, throw it up on your shoulder upside down, put your finger on the trigger & your hand will fall on the right side of the receiver.  That solves Connecticut's problem of having the trigger hand under the action of the weapon, it gives New Yorkers and Californians a 10 round ammunition feeding device that can be topped off w/ loose rounds - or stripper clips.  Then you need a Beowulf X riser on the forward rail or an offset mount for a red dot, or a scope mount that bolts into where the pistol grip used to fit.  If you just rotate 90 degrees, you just chicken wing, but you have to modify the lower to use a hopper.

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortconnecticut/Below.bmp

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortconnecticut/BelowCarryHandle.bmp
View Quote

I THINK I get it...

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am not an attorney, but I wouldn't build one like that. Finger not actually engaging the trigger...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still completely manually operated. You have to manually "bump" the grip attached to the gun to push the trigger into the static bar for every shot. Then again they are not selling it so they may have gotten a naughty note from the ATF.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Did you see the Bump Sled they fabbed up?

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There's the MGI, the spin off forend to store it in your car thing, or you can just have several cheap uppers, which solves the windage issue.  And while it's more cleaning, if you just replace your DI upper when it gets hot/dirty and hand it off to the AG to clean, then you're not doing the cleaning.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  What quick change BBL kits are available for the AR15 ?

True.

Have 3 uppers all set up the same. Carry them in a backpack thing like Haji's do with RPG's. lol.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#12]
"What if it was one guy with six guns?"
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Threads getting a little drifty...  the great thing about the bump gun is it's a normal gun that shoots fast that a person can maneuver with.

By the time you start getting anything more than that might as well go all the way.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Did you see the Bump Sled they fabbed up?

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/img_0597.jpg

The paddle is the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Threads getting a little drifty...  the great thing about the bump gun is it's a normal gun that shoots fast that a person can maneuver with.

By the time you start getting anything more than that might as well go all the way.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Double-Ak-47-hand-crank-1.jpg
View Quote

I would be cool with one of those, too...

Edit: honestly, I am surprised handcranks aren't more popular.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Double-Ak-47-hand-crank-1.jpg
View Quote

You'll get to this bathroom over my dead body!

I think w/ Skillet's bipod innovation, we're looking at least the possibilities of it as a faux-LMG or squad automatic.  @ PSA you can get a barreled upper down to $199; the MGI Hydra QCB upper is over @ Midway for $579.  It's cheaper to swap complete uppers than bbls.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Someday I should do an MS paint of my "quick-change upper" idea. The bipod actually stays with the lower.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sorry about the quality. It's been texted to a phone, emailed to a laptop, edited, and had the file type changed about 3 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Lg2X4G12A&feature=youtu.be

Comparison to actual RPK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8PT_MST67s

View Quote

Nice.

Yep, thinking I need an RPK.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry about the quality. It's been texted to a phone, emailed to a laptop, edited, and had the file type changed about 3 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Lg2X4G12A&feature=youtu.be

Comparison to actual RPK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8PT_MST67s

Nice.

Meh, the RPD is where it's at for belt fed waste disposal. If you really want an RPK style gun find a Chinese "National Match". I passed one up around 2007 for $500 bucks.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:00:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  Someday I should do an MS paint of my "quick-change upper" idea. The bipod actually stays with the lower.
View Quote

And now we're talkin'.  Though how much do the bipods run?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Totally agreed.  I built mine because I love the iar concept.  I want slight magnification, the ability to hit at distance and have my rifle fit seamlessly in my peer group or use stuff from my other rifles.  Letting me stay mobile and modular.  After I get the rifle squared away and get good at multi hits at distance, I'm going to let the inner gear queer out to set up an iar loadout.  

I have the jp heat dissipator coming in the mail.  Any one care about tests or reviews?  What do you want to see or know? I can do some pre instal/post instal tests...
I'm starting to get curious if the dissipator can work with a piston kit..... My gun gets dirty suppressed bumping.

I'll be adding some technical data here in the next week, group sizes at 100, 200, 300 ,400 on semi for point targets and bump groups at 50,100 and 200 on paper and steel for plotting my cone of fire and gauging its effectiveness.  I am kind of amused that I have skipped some rounds onto target at distance, brings back memories.

At some point I will have my buddy bust out his post sample saw and do a side by side for weight vs rate of fire vs hits on target at set distance...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Totally agreed.  I built mine because I love the iar concept.  I want slight magnification, the ability to hit at distance and have my rifle fit seamlessly in my peer group or use stuff from my other rifles.  Letting me stay mobile and modular.  After I get the rifle squared away and get good at multi hits at distance, I'm going to let the inner gear queer out to set up an iar loadout.  

I have the jp heat dissipator coming in the mail.  Any one care about tests or reviews?  What do you want to see or know? I can do some pre instal/post instal tests...
I'm starting to get curious if the dissipator can work with a piston kit..... My gun gets dirty suppressed bumping.

I'll be adding some technical data here in the next week, group sizes at 100, 200, 300 ,400 on semi for point targets and bump groups at 50,100 and 200 on paper and steel for plotting my cone of fire and gauging its effectiveness.  I am kind of amused that I have skipped some rounds onto target at distance, brings back memories.

At some point I will have my buddy bust out his post sample saw and do a side by side for weight vs rate of fire vs hits on target at set distance...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no reason you won't be hitting point targets at 300yds while bump-firing—seriously.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Welp, now I have to build one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Welp, now I have to build one.
View Quote

Yes, you do have to, and you also have to post pics/videos...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Meh, the RPD is where it's at for belt fed waste disposal. If you really want an RPK style gun find a Chinese "National Match". I passed one up around 2007 for $500 bucks.

View Quote

No arguments...other than the price.  RPK+slidefire is doable to mess around with the concept.  RPD+fabricating a bumpstock to work with it, while a much better idea would cost a lot more too.

Yes, I'm a cheap ass.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No arguments...other than the price.  RPK+slidefire is doable to mess around with the concept.  RPD+fabricating a bumpstock to work with it, while a much better idea would cost a lot more too.

Yes, I'm a cheap ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I'm a cheap ass.

RPK is plug-and-play, drums are cheap, etc. We all want a beltfed (because beltfed) but the RPK plus a Slide fire is the cheapest way into the game.

I might keep my eyes peeled for one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
RPK is plug-and-play, drums are cheap, etc. We all want a beltfed (because beltfed) but the RPK plus a Slide fire is the cheapest way into the game.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

IIRC didn't the RPK replace the RPD?

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Yes.

ETA:  From what little I've been able to read about the change over, there were some complaints about RPD reliability and commonality with AK mags was a big reason.  One guy with a slightly bigger AK fit into Soviet offensive doctrine much better than a belt fed x39 did, and for defensive/fixed positions they preferred using bigger caliber machine guns anyway.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, I'm a cheap ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I'm a cheap ass.

RPD, what do they run?  Making a bumpfire stock might not cost as much as you think...  
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

RPD, what do they run?  Making a bumpfire stock might not cost as much as you think...  
View Quote

Project guns will build one for $1350 or so,  DSA has a modernized one that goes for at least $2400 I think.  

PSA had a sale on RPKs that I missed for $500 a few weeks ago.  Atlantic has them in stock for $700, but I'm hoping another $500 sale will line up with a time when I have $500 of gun money to spend.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I'm a cheap ass.

~$2,500 for the one with the AR stock tube.

The local gun shop here was asking ~$3600...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
the RPK plus a Slide fire is the cheapest way into the game.
View Quote

Absolutely.  Already comes with a bipod, takes drums with a pretty decent track record, along with 40 and 30 round mags.  Mags are cheap, ammo is pretty cheap...

I'd pretty much gotten out of the AK game (only have one left) but this thread is drawing me back into it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yes.

ETA:  From what little I've been able to read about the change over, there were some complaints about RPD reliability and commonality with AK mags was a big reason.  One guy with a slightly bigger AK fit into Soviet offensive doctrine much better than a belt fed x39 did, and for defensive/fixed positions they preferred using bigger caliber machine guns anyway.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Yes.

Yea, I'd take a few drums over non-disitergrating links any day of the week.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Absolutely.  Already comes with a bipod, takes drums with a pretty decent track record, along with 40 and 30 round mags.  Mags are cheap, ammo is pretty cheap...

I'd pretty much gotten out of the AK game (only have one left) but this thread is drawing me back into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the RPK plus a Slide fire is the cheapest way into the game.

Yep... I'm actually posting pics of some extra crap to photobucket before I post them on the EE.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yea, I'd take a few drums over non-disitergrating links any day of the week.  

View Quote

That reminds me of a story:

Guy on another forum did some contract work in Iraq.  Nothing fancy, just convoy security type stuff.  They kept an underfolder AK with a drum in the truck (one of those throw in in and forget about it deals just to have an extra gun available).  One day they actually had some contact, and it wasn't until he grabbed the AK that he realized you couldn't deploy the buttstock from the folded position with a drum attached and spent the entire firefight having to shoot an AK with a drum and no stock.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#36]

I notice the slide-fire sleds, seems a little, puny.....

Why not try and build one for a M2 Browning, M1919, or other HMGs that are available for civilian sale?

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#37]
The fact that the RPD is only $1300ish is really tweaking my brain.... How much extra could an AR stock adapter really be?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  I notice the slide-fire sleds, seems a little, puny.....

Why not try and build one for a M2 Browning, M1919, or other HMGs that are available for civilian sale?
View Quote

Because you can pull the trigger faster than you can push 30+ pounds forward against your trigger finger.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Because you can pull the trigger faster than you can push 30+ pounds forward against your trigger finger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hand cranks are pretty cool for that stuff. I just wish there was a 2:1 setup you could get for a 1919. Two cam-lobes for one rotation. The handcrank is too slow.

Looks like it's 4 per rotation. Make it 8:1 and it would be sweet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The fact that the RPD is only $1300ish is really tweaking my brain.... How much extra could an AR stock adapter really be?
View Quote

If you have a welder - $3.00.  Weld a castle nut to the back of the receiver.  If you want to get really fancy, get a a AR flat kit, weld the receiver extension boss together, tap that, & then weld that on to the back of the RPD.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hand cranks are pretty cool for that stuff. I just wish there was a 2:1 setup you could get for a 1919. Two cam-lobes for one rotation. The handcrank is too slow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't the BATF have something regarding the limit of how many rounds can be fired in one crank?

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will caveat my mention of that builder and price with the fact that I don't own an RPD, know anything about their business and have no idea how reliable/well built those guns are.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Doesn't the BATF have something regarding the limit of how many rounds can be fired in one crank?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/blakbird/Renders/MOCs/FSB-Wheel-Loader/test3.jpg

HAHAHHAHAA!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, this thread is going to get me some more positive feedback.

Must... have... belt... fed...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#47]
if you get a chance check out "the black rifle". It's a definitive technical history of the ar rifle.  I was re reading it and figured some of thief concept rifles were so close to the things I have read here for issues with heat transfer, bipeds, belts pistons ect that some photos would be cool.
Buy this book!

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd love to know just how in the hell that bottom rifle feeds... Holy shit, arfcommer's wet dream!
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'd love to know just how in the hell that bottom rifle feeds... Holy shit, arfcommer's wet dream!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That has "artist concept" written all over it.

The actual way it fed, is the colt/ slidfire/ everyone else belt feed style I posted up earlier in the thread.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The actual way it fed, is the colt/ slidfire/ everyone else belt feed style I posted up earlier in the thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured... that would be a 200 round magazine or so...
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top