BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate page 2
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I wanted a slidefire when they came out but the price seemed a bit over the top.  Where can I get the best price on one?  Also, yours looks a bit more photogenic than I remember - have they updated the look?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's a gravel pit on friendly private property in southwestern Washington—no idea if that's the same place? There was an Excavator in the way or we would have shot from the same position in both videos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was that second video taken at Browns camp?

It's a gravel pit on friendly private property in southwestern Washington—no idea if that's the same place? There was an Excavator in the way or we would have shot from the same position in both videos.

I love gravel pits.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Have to admit, I am seriously impressed.  And that's coming from an M16 owner, though I've never had an issue with bump stocks.  Really cool friend...tempted to try this with my other rifle that has the SD3G in it
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wanted a slidefire when they came out but the price seemed a bit over the top.  Where can I get the best price on one?  Also, yours looks a bit more photogenic than I remember - have they updated the look?
View Quote

It's a Fostech DefendAR-15.  It's much better looking than the Slide Fire stock, but then again, I believe it costs nearly $500.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me know when they combine the Slide Fire and the SigTac.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:24:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have to admit, I am seriously impressed.  And that's coming from an M16 owner, though I've never had an issue with bump stocks.  Really cool friend...tempted to try this with my other rifle that has the SD3G in it
View Quote

When I paired the Fostech stock with the SD3G trigger I was getting insane rates of fire...and LOTS of failures. It was literally so efficient that the "bump action" was beating the BCG back into battery, causing the trigger to drop the hammer on the bolt early. Sort of a weird hammer follow. I solved it with Madcap's suggestion to put silicone grease on the moving part of the stock and slow it down. I think it might be OK with the polymer Slide Fire.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmmm I always avoided slide fires but putting a bipod on it and using it this way may make me rethink my stance
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Do I need to jump in with my homemade bumpfire stock goodness?

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any chance of getting a breakdown of parts and cost?
View Quote

OK, here is a quick breakdown of how I built mine. Not everything here is mandatory, but I feel like all the parts listed here contribute to the usability of the gun.

Any AR-15 with 16” chrome lined carbine gas barrel. The contour on the end of the barrel matters a lot. (Price varies)

Fostech Outdoors DefendAR-15 bump stock (~$500)

YHM gas block—this is important if you want to use the M60 bipod (~$75)

M60 bipod (~$200)

Geissele SD3G trigger (~$260)

Primary Arms 3X optic—found it cheap and figured I wouldn’t break the bank on something nice for a gamble project. It’s held up nicely. (~$175)

Magpul rifle-length handguard. (~$40)

BCM Gunfighter charging handle (~$45)

Magpul BAD lever—if you don’t like it on your regular carbine, you’ll still want in on this for one-handed control. (~$30)

Matech rear BUIS. (~$80)

That breaks down to just over $1400 or so plus whatever rifle/mags you want to use.

On the CHEAP you could do a plain SSAR-15 stock, PSA AR-15, and a different bipod for probably a bit over $1200 for everything.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:53:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Hell yeah you do!

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#12]

I tell you what, does Boomhauer have a "how to" on making this stock?

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:58:56 AM EDT
[#13]

You sound like the spawn of Hank Hill and Boomhower, you also look like Bill.

ETA: beat!
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:15:19 AM EDT
[#14]

I won't lie......I've been wanting to replicate that beautiful thing you have built there for quite awhile now. I will eventually get around to building one...someday.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:18:51 AM EDT
[#15]
You boys need to stop whackin' off I tell ya what and get to buildin' them damn bumpfire stock things damnit.

Also, the voice is just impersonation, I don't sound anything like that in real life.  Watch my other videos and you will see lol.

But no, I really don't have instructions on how to make it.  I'm not good at explaining those kinds of things.

The best I could do is make a video showing me taking it apart or something.  Though, there is not much to take apart.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:19:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I've always wanted to make one of broadband's DIY stocks too. My issue is that I don't think it would be strong enough on the downward Y axis. Broadband is free to clear that up. I know it looks better than a slidefire. The Fostech actually looks pretty good IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
The Fostech does look good.  Way better than the slidefire that's for sure.

As for the downward Y axis part.  It has a slight amount of play, but nothing that is noticeable.  You really have to
put an abnormal amount of force on it to move it.  If you watch in my videos you can see me slapping mags in there
and it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference one bit.  It doesn't bend the metal if that's what you are wondering.

It springs right back into place.

I wish I knew someone local so I could try that Fostech out.  The only issue with that is that no one around here is really
into this kind of stuff like me.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
While I have a pretty decent thread about this over in team, I figure it’s time to bring this back to GD. Usually I just post this when peoples ask if a slide fire stock is any good, but after a couple of recent threads, I figured I'd make my own.

This thread is for people who hate bump fire stocks and think are something only for mouthbreathers. Apparently it’s common knowledge to everyone except newbs and redneck yokels like myself that bump fire stocks (like the Slide Fire and Fostech stocks) are complete and utter shit. They are literally impossible to control and totally useless for anything other than a 45° cone of spray-fire. They are a toy, unlike 95% of the range-queen carbines here that are war machines and ready to go as soon as the Ruskies start dropping in over Calumet.

Everyone knows that the best way to implement real machine guns like the M249 is offhand, and that the bipod on the end of it is just for looks. That's why every video you see of someone with a BF stock is some guy hosing it into a berm from the standing position. Besides, laying down prone is hard and you often get wet and dirty.... EWW! If you can't hit shit with the bump stock from the offhand position, it must be useless, right?

I’m making this thread so all the diehard haters can all show me how stupid my dedicated bump fire rifle is. I'm honestly interested to hear it. There is no spring action funny business going on here. It's a plain old semi-auto M4gery retrofitted to take an M60 bipod, dissipator handguards, SD3G trigger, and a bump stock. It’s within the law in every way. Outside of maybe looks or cost of feeding it, I would say this thing is pretty legit.

This is it in its most recent configuration. I think it’s actually OK looking, but that’s just me.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/schkoot/20140501_153320_zpse5hmeypi.jpg
Here is my rifle on its most recent trip out. Outside of one bad primer and a light hammer strike, I'd say it ran pretty good. Still getting hits with the glare through the smoke and the sun making the target almost completely invisible.
http://youtu.be/hKojiATcVNU

Here it is bump firing and repeatedly hitting a Steel IPSC target from 250 yards away. Not terrible in my book. Even for a real M249, 250yds is pretty far away to keep it on a man-sized target. Turn up the sound, put it on HD and zoom in. It’s hitting.

http://youtu.be/0Hrgh5txFKg

So haters... Go ahead and flame away!
View Quote

Didn't much care for the whole "slide fire" idea..... Until now....
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd rather just have a Geissele SD3G trigger.   Which I do have.  Fast enough for me.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:39:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd rather just have a Geissele SD3G trigger.   Which I do have.  Fast enough for me.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvr0rSaFgZE&sns=em
View Quote

No doubt the SD3G is the top trigger for that type of shooting. Shit—I have one on this gun and I use it like that when I shoot some indoor multi gun competitions. This rifle was built to mimic an LMG of some variety. I suppose you could prone out and do the same thing, but your finger is going to get TIRED if you try to match the pace I am getting in 500 rounds or more.

It's obviously not for everyone, but I think I have shown that the bump fire concept can be practical.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Interdesting. And under half the price...

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:48:54 AM EDT
[#23]

I'll tell you what....

You sound just like Bubbles.

Dammit Ricky, a pot trailer is no place for a kitteh!
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:52:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get both...seriously!
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:53:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Now I am looking at prices on a heavy barreled 18-20'' upper.... FU OP!! Sometimes I hate this site... Every time I get some extra money saved up, someone posts something cool on here...

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Now I am looking at prices on a heavy barreled 18-20'' upper.... FU OP!! Sometimes I hate this site... Every time I get some extra money saved up, someone posts something cool on here...

View Quote

Be sure to post pics and videos...
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:00:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
480 rounds per minute.

Split times are a hair slower than my stock Sterling AR-180. Audio sampler is showing about .12 splits, is that what you get on shot timer?

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:05:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
480 rounds per minute.

Split times are a hair slower than my stock Sterling AR-180. Audio sampler is showing about .12 splits, is that what you get on shot timer?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

480 rounds per minute.

The sound of it ringing steel gave it the "double bass drum effect" in my opinion. Still fast though. Just not the same.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The sound of it ringing steel gave it the "double bass drum effect" in my opinion. Still fast though. Just not the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

480 rounds per minute.

Yea.  It's fast no doubt, but you have to work to maintain it.  With your gun you can buzz rounds out almost double the speed without fatigue.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:11:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Fostech does look good.  Way better than the slidefire that's for sure.

As for the downward Y axis part.  It has a slight amount of play, but nothing that is noticeable.  You really have to
put an abnormal amount of force on it to move it.  If you watch in my videos you can see me slapping mags in there
and it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference one bit.  It doesn't bend the metal if that's what you are wondering.

It springs right back into place.

I wish I knew someone local so I could try that Fostech out.  The only issue with that is that no one around here is really
into this kind of stuff like me.

View Quote

The build looks easy enough. (although ingenious)

My biggest issue before I would attempt to build it, is getting the perfect piece of steel. From the looks of it, you have already found the perfect size/width and bends .
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Using it in this configuration would be a great LMG alternative for a civilian. Offering impressive suppressive fire in SHTF roles in defensive situations when working together in groups and operating in teams. As long as the ones using it are trained to be effective with the system, and understand how it should be used, it would greatly improve defensive positions and tactics over single shot fire.

I believe to be most effective, you would need to use it with beta mags combined using an 18-20'' heavy barrel. I think it would be excellent in keeping heads down and overwhelming an adversary while marksmen take aimed fire, flank, or while your group unass the area. Also depending on group size, 2 or even 3 people using it in this configuration would certainly be beneficial. A great force multiplier that can be legally obtained and at the fraction of what an NFA LMG would cost.

Plus, it would be a pretty cool range toy!!

Eta: it I was alone, I would not want to carry it. But in a group, I would want at least one person with this system.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:11:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Will that stock work with 9mm and 22lr carbines?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Will that stock work with 9mm and 22lr carbines?
View Quote

It should with 9mm, but I don't think it would with .22. You do need some recoil for the system to work correctly. I could be wrong, so someone correct me if I am.

Eta: I found a video of someone using it on a m&p 15-22
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:23:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Your opinions are like newspaper movie reviews. Whatever it is, the opposite is normally true.

ETA- The more time goes by, the more you sound like DanTSX.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
gay
Your opinions are like newspaper movie reviews. Whatever it is, the opposite is normally true.

ETA- The more time goes by, the more you sound like DanTSX.

Guy is a troll, every post of his is like this...
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Eta: it I was alone, I would not want to carry it. But in a group, I would want at least one person with this system.
View Quote

I agree.  Since I don't have family or my best friends in the area, it's more of an interesting concept than a must have for me.  But if I was sti out in the country with other family shooters, we would need one of these.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You boys need to stop whackin' off I tell ya what and get to buildin' them damn bumpfire stock things damnit.

Also, the voice is just impersonation, I don't sound anything like that in real life.  Watch my other videos and you will see lol.

But no, I really don't have instructions on how to make it.  I'm not good at explaining those kinds of things.

The best I could do is make a video showing me taking it apart or something.  Though, there is not much to take apart.

View Quote

Hank Boomhauer is your new name. Use it wisely.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree.  Since I don't have family or my best friends in the area, it's more of an interesting concept than a must have for me.  But if I was sti out in the country with other family shooters, we would need one of these.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's be real. If law and order has broken down so badly that people need a squad auto, most folks are just going to grab a drill...  For now this thing is a way to simulate having a real MG that can actually hit stuff at distances, and better yet, a big fuck you to the NFA. That's what it's all about to me. The more people that build something like this, the less legitimate the NFA becomes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When I paired the Fostech stock with the SD3G trigger I was getting insane rates of fire...and LOTS of failures. It was literally so efficient that the "bump action" was beating the BCG back into battery, causing the trigger to drop the hammer on the bolt early. Sort of a weird hammer follow. I solved it with Madcap's suggestion to put silicone grease on the moving part of the stock and slow it down. I think it might be OK with the polymer Slide Fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

isnt the M16 capable of 1200 RPM +?  are you sure you were out running the action?  I guess that depends on buffers etc
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

isnt the M16 capable of 1200 RPM +?  are you sure you were out running the action?  I guess that depends on buffers etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was getting around 0.05 split times when we had it on the shot timer. Pretty sure that works out to 1200rpm. There is a video and some pictures of the shot timer I'm waiting on from another shooter. The trouble with a real machine gun vs this that there's a whole 'nother mechanism at play here. There's no auto sear to engage the hammer, it's the reset trigger getting activated early.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was getting around 0.05 split times when we had it on the shot timer. Pretty sure that works out to 1200rpm. There is a video and some pictures of the shot timer I'm waiting on from another shooter. The trouble with a real machine gun vs this that there's a whole 'nother mechanism at play here. There's no auto sear to engage the hammer, it's the reset trigger getting activated early.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL I want to see video! 1200 RPM on a bump fire is awesome!
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#41]
That thing runs great.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

<snip>

<snip>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

<snip>

Why this trigger in particular compared to, say, the SSA or maybe a RRA 2 stage?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love this gun and I am suspicious of it being legit 1200rpm. we were thinking it was about 1050-1100, but that's still fast.

Here is a pic of the shot timer. I actually let someone else try it out for time.

EDIT: Here is the video from that shot timer run. Hopefully Madcap gets all sciency on it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why this trigger in particular compared to, say, the SSA or maybe a RRA 2 stage?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

<snip>

Those work ok, but with the SD3G it's so smooth it's like you're not pulling the trigger. It would work with a decent milspec, I just wanted it to be as good as possible.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I've shown friends all your videos Skittet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've shown friends all your videos Skittet.
View Quote

***Aww shucks***

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#48]
OP  gets it.....some never will.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#49]
If one was going to use a rifle like this for suppressing fire, would drum mags make more sense?  Or even the surefire million round mags or whatever they are?  It seems to me that you burn through 30 round mags so fast, you spend most your time doing mag changes.

I guess that's the benefit of belt fed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Those work ok, but with the SD3G it's so smooth it's like you're not pulling the trigger. It would work with a decent milspec, I just wanted it to be as good as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

<snip>

This.  I believe Bill G has come out and said that the trigger was designed to have a first stage and no 2nd stage (the glass rod, carrot, etc), only a pull that "is like rolling on a ball bearing."  If you have ever fired one you would know exactly what he is talking about.  They are superb triggers for getting multiple rounds down range on a target with accuracy.  Both my AR SBR's wear them.

Kudo's to OP, you have created the poor man's LMG.  Your system def has the advantage in ROF and trigger finger fatigue over the S3G trigger.  However, for my purposes the S3G does the job well.  
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top