Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Nice. Wonder how it would do prone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Snip

It's a hardware store special right now. 1.25 tube stock, waterproof electric conduit parts, pipe clamp + stick welds....LOL

My plan now is to make legit mounting brackets and hopefully full float it.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/schkoot/Faux-chine%20gun/86DF1ABF-D6AC-47BC-9CF4-61116626C85E_zpspp9xnujc.jpg

View Quote

Nice!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Holy shit, that thing sounds almost identical to a MG42.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a little faster

I've shot a MG34, really fun with 1100RPM+ ROF.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
Build specs?

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Build specs?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Build specs?  
That is my pinned 14.5" ARP barreled upper with Rainier XTC comp, Aluminum carrier and AIM BAKUP bolt.  The lower is an 80% with a debadged BRO trigger (built by Rise Armament for Black Rain Ordinance), 3oz buffer, Sprinco Orange spring and a home made bump stock built from Magpul fixed carbine stock and a MIAD grip.

I originally set it up on an 18" rifle gas barrel, but it didn't have enough gas.  I'm going to open the gas port and try the 18" upper again later.  I wanted to see if my stock was working and threw the 14.5" upper on it to test the lower.

I need to get another 7.62x39 firing pin to see if it will help with the hammer follow.  I think a heavier mass hammer would also be good, as it would slow lock time.

ROF seems to be heavily linked with carrier speed.  As I get lighter carriers, the speed that I bump is also climbing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's a shame about the upper. I know that feeling.

The trigger looks GOOOOD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My new BumpSAW was a bust

It's got gas issues. It would generally cycle a round, but barely. It failed to lock on an empty mag every time.

I swapped to a 14.5 pinned upper and had some really fast runs. Didn't mess with prone fire today as I was mainly working with my binary trigger.

Here are some clips from the binary setup. Ill try and get the Bump video uploaded before long.

https://youtu.be/OAe1dqg1yeg

The binary trigger works pretty well.  I've noticed on long strings I slow down a bit.  Here is my surefire 100 with the binary trigger, at the end you can hear the slower rate of fire as my finger was getting tired.  The upside is that 700-900RPM is pretty sustainable.  I need to measure it when I get home tonight and see what my actual ROF was.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The binary trigger works pretty well.  I've noticed on long strings I slow down a bit.  Here is my surefire 100 with the binary trigger, at the end you can hear the slower rate of fire as my finger was getting tired.  The upside is that 700-900RPM is pretty sustainable.  I need to measure it when I get home tonight and see what my actual ROF was.   https://youtu.be/t9O5NAHCp7Y

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My new BumpSAW was a bust

It's got gas issues. It would generally cycle a round, but barely. It failed to lock on an empty mag every time.

I swapped to a 14.5 pinned upper and had some really fast runs. Didn't mess with prone fire today as I was mainly working with my binary trigger.

Here are some clips from the binary setup. Ill try and get the Bump video uploaded before long.
https://youtu.be/OAe1dqg1yeg

The binary trigger works pretty well.  I've noticed on long strings I slow down a bit.  Here is my surefire 100 with the binary trigger, at the end you can hear the slower rate of fire as my finger was getting tired.  The upside is that 700-900RPM is pretty sustainable.  I need to measure it when I get home tonight and see what my actual ROF was.   https://youtu.be/t9O5NAHCp7Y

I am interested in checking one out. This may come off as a laugh from me of all people, but I am a little concerned this trigger will get a reversal judgement somehow. I guess I am still a little bit raw over the Can Cannon ordeal.

Anyway, I think the trigger would be really good for bursts, but like you said, it's not going to give you that smooth cyclic rate of fire we are getting from the BumpSAWs.

I wonder what it would be like with a spade grip on a tripod? that way you could use both thumbs and get less tired?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Jaqufrost, I hope you know you are going to cost me money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Lol.  It does get kinda spendy.  I think I used almost $400 in ammo on Friday.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I wanna see an O_P article on Jaq's guns.

*burrrrp* "It's fun to shoot stuff."
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I usually spend the same when I go out. I don't film all my runs because people get sick of holding my phone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I usually spend the same when I go out. I don't film all my runs because people get sick of holding my phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just stuck a camera on a tripod and pointed it at where I was going to be shooting from.  It would have worked better if the screen wasn't broke and the card wasn't almost completely full I found out when I got back that I didn't record very much from the tripod cam, lol.

Thankfully the Ion camera I bought the night before and rigged a gun mount for worked well.  It was on clearance at Walmart for $35 from $150!
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I really need a good camera for this kind of stuff. Any recommendations?

Also, I was thinking about dropping the money on one of the new slide fire stocks and painting it brown for the 3rd BumpSAW.

Anyone have one? I can't remember seeing one in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I really need a good camera for this kind of stuff. Any recommendations?

Also, I was thinking about dropping the money on one of the new slide fire stocks and painting it brown for the 3rd BumpSAW.

Anyone have one? I can't remember seeing one in this thread.
View Quote
I believe this is the one I picked up at Walmart.  It gives me good audio peaks, so calculating ROF is easy.

I haven't seen anyone use the new slidefire.  I wish they sold it for $100 or so, I would grab one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#17]
How do I build a homemade bump fire stock like jaqufrost? I happen to have a fixed magpul stock from a trade and wouldn't mind trying.

Has anyone tried the franklin armory binary trigger with a bump stock yet, how did it work?

I'm just now tuning in to this thread on page 51, if it's been covered could someone tell me what page it was on? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How do I build a homemade bump fire stock like jaqufrost? I happen to have a fixed magpul stock from a trade and wouldn't mind trying.

Has anyone tried the franklin armory binary trigger with a bump stock yet, how did it work?

I'm just now tuning in to this thread on page 51, if it's been covered could someone tell me what page it was on? Thanks.
View Quote
My instructions are in this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/655109_BumpSAW_Bump_IAR_Picture_Video_and_theoretical_discussion_thread_.html&page=1

My new bump stock I switched up a little and used the cross bolt that came with the stock instead of putting an extra pin in the receiver extension.  I tap the receiver and use a very short 8-32 set screw to hold the selector detent and spring in.  I cut the spring roughly in half and cut the selector detent in half as well.

JT Grip Solutions is supposed to have a sliding grip available this summer. I'm not sure how much they will cost, but they would probably work well for the grip portion.  I just use a Magpul MIAD and cut the inside to fit my metal rod.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Just an update for anyone debating using the Frankford Arsenal Binary trigger for a IAR type build, I am getting a steady 650RPM with mine, with occasional quick splits in the 900RPM range.  

I'm using PowerDirector 14 (with the included AudioDirector 6) to measure my RPM.  I just pull up the audio and measure the time between sound peaks. With the Ion camera, the audio is peaking nicely and it's easy to read.  In the past I've used AVS audio editor, you can download the trial version for free and use it to check your speed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just an update for anyone debating using the Frankford Arsenal Binary trigger for a IAR type build, I am getting a steady 650RPM with mine, with occasional quick splits in the 900RPM range.  

I'm using PowerDirector 14 (with the included AudioDirector 6) to measure my RPM.  I just pull up the audio and measure the time between sound peaks. With the Ion camera, the audio is peaking nicely and it's easy to read.  In the past I've used AVS audio editor, you can download the trial version for free and use it to check your speed.
View Quote

Dumb question...

Having handled one of these triggers, how do you think it would work with one of these?

Edit: visualize double kick-drum petal.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Dumb question...

Having handled one of these triggers, how do you think it would work with one of these?

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0217/6010/products/img_0597_large.jpeg?v=1378268763
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dumb question...

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0217/6010/products/img_0597_large.jpeg?v=1378268763
I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumb question...

I guess I edited too soon. I am thinking alternating thumbs in a rhythm might be able to produce some pretty fast strings of fire without getting tired.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I think you would need a couple armatac drums on standby along with a couple uppers
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, I think you would need a couple armatac drums on standby along with a couple uppers
View Quote

Tripod
SF100 mags
Watercooled barrel....
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is my pinned 14.5" ARP barreled upper with Rainier XTC comp, Aluminum carrier and AIM BAKUP bolt.  The lower is an 80% with a debadged BRO trigger (built by Rise Armament for Black Rain Ordinance), 3oz buffer, Sprinco Orange spring and a home made bump stock built from Magpul fixed carbine stock and a MIAD grip.  

I originally set it up on an 18" rifle gas barrel, but it didn't have enough gas.  I'm going to open the gas port and try the 18" upper again later.  I wanted to see if my stock was working and threw the 14.5" upper on it to test the lower.

I need to get another 7.62x39 firing pin to see if it will help with the hammer follow.  I think a heavier mass hammer would also be good, as it would slow lock time.

ROF seems to be heavily linked with carrier speed.  As I get lighter carriers, the speed that I bump is also climbing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Build specs?  

What's the significance of the 7.62x39 firing pin? Heavier mass to hit forward for the hammer?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What's the significance of the 7.62x39 firing pin? Heavier mass to hit forward for the hammer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Build specs?  

They are .010" longer, so the carrier can be .010 farther open and you would still get ignition.  I've considered cutting the carrier out a little to allow the hammer to impact the firing pin as early as possible.  It's not a safety issue because the firing pin can't reach the primer until after the bolt is fully rotated.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I just got this video uploaded.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just got this video uploaded.https://youtu.be/jhdkalhBG1E

https://youtu.be/jhdkalhBG1E

View Quote

That's pretty sweet

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
That's pretty sweet

- Clint

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got this video uploaded.https://youtu.be/jhdkalhBG1E

https://youtu.be/jhdkalhBG1E

That's pretty sweet

- Clint

Thanks, that run is with my first BumpSAW that uses the Rhino LW BCG.  Something I've noticed is my bump speed increases as my carrier lightens.  It appears to be more linked than I had first thought.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#31]
It's awesome to see all the new activity in this thread. Jaqufrost is owning the last few pages...can't wait to see it proned out!

I'll be more excited to see some different posters jumping in with their own BumpSAWs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Huh...
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I just moved to a new state and I'm looking for a new range to shoot/test mine at. I'm running my same setup, a spikes lower with a Jard 1.5# single stage trigger on a Colt 604 upper with a Colt M16 bcg, with a DefendAR15.

I've got a NiB bcg that I want to see if it will increase the rate of fire. After seeing what the light weight bcg will do I might have to order one. Thinking about trying a Geissle trigger and switching to an M4 upper. I ran a couple different M4 uppers and the rate of fire was much slower than what I could get out of my 604 upper. I've got a unknown buffer in it and think that may have been the reason.

Let's keep this thing going.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I just moved to a new state and I'm looking for a new range to shoot/test mine at. I'm running my same setup, a spikes lower with a Jard 1.5# single stage trigger on a Colt 604 upper with a Colt M16 bcg, with a DefendAR15.

I've got a NiB bcg that I want to see if it will increase the rate of fire. After seeing what the light weight bcg will do I might have to order one. Thinking about trying a Geissle trigger and switching to an M4 upper. I ran a couple different M4 uppers and the rate of fire was much slower than what I could get out of my 604 upper. I've got a unknown buffer in it and think that may have been the reason.

View Quote
The Geissele triggers have a very short lock time.  I believe that increases the hammer follow problems as the carrier has less time to close before the hammer reaches it.

Geissele high speed has a 4.4 millisecond lock time (.0044 seconds), a stock trigger has about 10ms (.010s) and a JARD I believe is closer to 16ms (.016s).  Considering a ROF of 900RPM, you have a cycle time of .066s.  So a Geissele high speed is reaching the firing pin in about 6.66% of the cycle time.  A JARD is taking about 24.25% of the cycle time to reach the firing pin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Geissele triggers have a very short lock time.  I believe that increases the hammer follow problems as the carrier has less time to close before the hammer reaches it.  

Geissele high speed has a 4.4 millisecond lock time (.0044 seconds), a stock trigger has about 10ms (.010s) and a JARD I believe is closer to 16ms (.016s).  Considering a ROF of 900RPM, you have a cycle time of .066s.  So a Geissele high speed is reaching the firing pin in about 6.66% of the cycle time.  A JARD is taking about 24.25% of the cycle time to reach the firing pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you recommend? And what are you using?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm using a JARD 3.5lb in one and a 3.5lb Blue trigger in the second.  I don't know what the lock time is for the Blue trigger.  The Blue triggers were made by Rise Armament for Black Rain Ordinance, they milled off the BRO markings and sold them cheap.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#37]
What's the best stock to go with?  I know they all ah e their advantages but from everyone here who has tried them all, what do I get?  And do any had a qd strap on the stock?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:47:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What's the best stock to go with?  I know they all ah e their advantages but from everyone here who has tried them all, what do I get?  And do any had a qd strap on the stock?
View Quote

I believe the general consensus is the Fostech DefenAR15 is the best made... the rest are basically plastic and the same.

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Fostech stock is a heavy duty piece of gear. You'd have to hold it to understand. You could probably break it about as easily as you could break the barrel off the upper...

The newer Slide Fire has the QD mount, but no one I know has actually tried it. It looks really nice. I may finally cave in and get one sometime soon. I'd have already bought one if if came in FDE...

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#41]

I definitely want that brown stock....

But why the hell don't they advertise their belt fed setup with a bipod?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#42]
I thought another company just did this.

iPotatoe
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I thought another company just did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE3KVOQ54IE

iPotatoe
View Quote
Yep. Ive got the Frankford Arsenal binary trigger. I think they each hold patents for different aspects and have agreed to share them so they can both continue with their own version.

It sounds like thd Fostech has a nicer base trigger than the Frankford. Fostech's price is $80 higher. They are supposed to ship in May.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Hmmm... These new triggers make me unsure which direction I should continue to go with my BumpSAWs.

On one hand, it would be nice to have normal stocks and accessories on them. On the other, I am just not sure you could really keep that rate of fire up all day, and that it wouldn't galloping horses after a couple of mags. The sound and feel of the smooth, high RoF is a big thing for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hmmm... These new triggers make me unsure which direction I should continue to go with my BumpSAWs.

On one hand, it would be nice to have normal stocks and accessories on them. On the other, I am just not sure you could really keep that rate of fire up all day, and that it wouldn't galloping horses after a couple of mags. The sound and feel of the sooth, high RoF is a big thing for me.
View Quote

I think it's important to recognize new technology and new techniques and if something comes along that is better, to accept it and use it to the best of your ability. It's also completely ok to try something, realize that it's not better than what you already have and go back to your old methods... it is also beneficial when you are able to tell people not to go that route since you've BTDT and to save ya'll's money, and to show them what works better!

Thanks for this thread Skillet... it is driving me toward something that will be very unique in a world where everybody is falling in step with the crowd and what they say is acceptable and "in."

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think it's important to recognize new technology and new techniques and if something comes along that is better, to accept it and use it to the best of your ability. It's also completely ok to try something, realize that it's not better than what you already have and go back to your old methods... it is also beneficial when you are able to tell people not to go that route since you've BTDT and to save ya'll's money, and to show them what works better!

Thanks for this thread Skillet... it is driving me toward something that will be very unique in a world where everybody is falling in step with the crowd and what they say is acceptable and "in."

- Clint
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On one hand, it would be nice to have normal stocks and accessories on them. On the other, I am just not sure you could really keep that rate of fire up all day, and that it wouldn't galloping horses after a couple of mags. The sound and feel of the sooth, high RoF is a big thing for me.

- Clint

You need to let me know what this plan is—off board if necessary.

As to the trigger, I want one, but I just want to drop it into my receivers. Is there a trigger-only option?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I believe the general consensus is the Fostech DefenAR15 is the best made... the rest are basically plastic and the same.

- Clint
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

Looks good and well made. That being said I'll wait for the price to come down a little bit. Quick question, do you think bump stocks have a place in real world battlefield applications? I'm completely ignorant to them I admit. I've never held or shot one but my concern would be having to "float" the stock to get it to bumpfire under stress in a firefight. Also, the trigger block that's built in to the stock, seems like that would be a hindrance when shooting semi / precision shots.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Looks good and well made. That being said I'll wait for the price to come down a little bit. Quick question, do you think bump stocks have a place in real world battlefield applications? I'm completely ignorant to them I admit. I've never held or shot one but my concern would be having to "float" the stock to get it to bumpfire under stress in a firefight. Also, the trigger block that's built in to the stock, seems like that would be a hindrance when shooting semi / precision shots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

It's pretty close, but if I had to use my BumpSAW back in Iraq, I would say it would only maybe work from defensive positions. I think if you trained on it enough, you might get it...

But as I always say, if the ruskies are parachuting in over calumet, the NFA is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Ge'ezum crow that's fast!

I have one of those debadged triggers in a pistol build. Not planning to put it in a gun with a bump stock because I can't really afford the ammo that I burn as it is. But this pistol is gonna be fast, I hope.

Thanks for all the work here on making these guns go really fast.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Apparently the Franklin Arms triggers are not available to WA residents due to some ambiguity over the RCW definition of a machine gun.

Luckily, bumpfire stocks are still safe.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top